[Drama 2018] Lawless Lawyer, 무법 변호사

Admin

@bluelilac1214 thank youuuuuuu... hahaha Mr Bong- Manager Tae- Giseong thugs really remind me of Gru and his minions! kkkkk

cb403364d42ac7aea6ea0bc94fbb1f9d.gif

and here's a new translated article of Episode 3 from jg_k_drama:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally caught up with the first 2 episodes with subs, phew, better late than never. 

I think it's a perfect drama to hook onto after some emotionally draining drama like My Ajusshi. It's just the right balance of everything; humor, law, thrill, romance and an apt emotional quotient and I guess that's why the drama intrigues me, coz it's offering me all those genres on a single platter. 

Lee Jun Ki Is absolutely love, there isn't even an ounce of doubt about that. And I can totally see why LJK is the perfect person for the role, he plays the sauve, witty kind just perfect, also his actions always looks slick and classy. 

I'm also living Seo Ye Ji in this role, it's a refreshing change from her last drama. Plus it's always a welcome to have a heroine cussing and bossing around.. 

Am so waiting for the next episodes now... 

6 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

I just wanted to let this out and have it off my chest.

Will not mention this again. I swear!

But....

I just want to take LJK out for a hearty meal whenever I see him on screen.

Phew. Over.

I know what you mean. He is looking too thin and tired but it doesn't take away from his great acting and the role he is playing. I don't need him to be the pretty boy all the time and the makeup in this show is nice and subtle unlike the drama "Suits" where they are heavy handed with the makeup. I finally got to watch with subs and I must say that it makes a difference which surprised me because watching the raw episode, the sad scenes were good but didn't make me cry but when I can understand what is being said, I just cried like a baby. I will wait for fully subbed episodes from now on otherwise I will miss the full impact of the show.

It's almost time for Lawless Lawyer Episode 4!

If you can watch live, please do so *with a Korean IP address is counted hehe*

And don't forget to give some buzz by clicking the following search link:

https://search.naver.com/search.naver?sm=tab_hty.top&where=news&query=무법변호사&oquery=무법변호사&tqi=TwaCXlpySD0sst6UC9VssssstIG-149909

"Lawless Lawyer" is at #12 on the Top 20 real-time search at the moment :)

His  character is/was a highly skilled street fighter who  has lived rough most of his  life. Looking very lean and angular like a dangerous Predator is more appropriate than looking well fed and soft. 

The live recap for Episode 4:

https://www.bah-doo.com/lawless-lawyer-live-recap-episode-4/

Pheeewww... another super intense episode we had tonight! It's a torture to wait for another saturday lol...

"Lawless Lawyer" is #7 on the naver real-time search result list, please click to increase the buzz:

https://search.naver.com/search.naver?sm=tab_hty.top&where=news&query=무법변호사&oquery=무법변호사&tqi=Twa3hwpVuFKssb70ULKssssssjV-252573

8 minutes ago, Dramanoona said:

Read the recap....

Does this mean that JY's rose coloured glasses over MS's real character has now fallen from her eyes?

I wouldn't say they were rose colored, she just literally had no reason to believe that MS was less than a mother figure to her. The city loves her, JY's father admires her, etc. I am glad she's seeing her true colors now though. 

I also wish Sang Pil would clue her in on what happened to her mother. She has the right to know. It is awful to have your mother killed in front of you, but it has to be equally as awful to not know what happened to your mother for 18 years.

@triplem@sava2sava @evie7 @UnniSarah @Dramanoona @nonski @alekaonu @Mau_Cherry

Finallyfaint pink mouse, the episodes were released with subtitles, although I have to point out that different sentences are still missing. But okay, it is better than nothing.

Now that I have watched the first two episodes, I can tell that the story isn't just well written but also very creative therefore it gives the opportunity to write a deep analysis of the characters and the story.

From the start, the main villain is not really hidden. Sure, in the first episode the judge CMS is described in the news as a role model and perfect judge. Lawless Lawyer episode BSP and MSC.png

She has a perfect reputation: she was nominated three times to become a judge at the Supreme Court but she refused this position therefore this reinforced her strong popularity. By turning down three times such a job opportunity, she appears to be humble, loyal and dedicated to justice. She is even internationally famous because there is an article about her in the Asian version of Times magazine. Yet, we have to pay attention how CMS is introduced. Her name is mentioned in connection to the murder of Gisung's mayor which is actually a bad event. Striking is that the sun is shining when CMS is introduced but more importantly, her face is not shown during this good presentation, the camera is actually focused on BSP. From my point of view, here the writer created a certain contrast. In the beginning, BSP was shown as a dangerous driver, then later as a reckless lawyer and fighter. His introduction gave the impression that BSP was rather a bad guy. BSP seems to be a corrupt and ruthless lawyer, whereas CMS seems to be the faithful and modest judge. Nevertheless  the connection between the sun/daylight and CMS caught my attention, especially after witnessing this scene:

Lawless Lawyer episode 1 CMS 1.pngLawless Lawyer episode 1 CMS 2.png 

Here, CMS is shown climbing stairs where at the top the statue of Lady justice is standing. The first picture above is quite interesting because behind the statue we can see a building which resembles a temple. It was as if Lady justice was worshiped in this temple. To me, this scene without any dialog is far from being obsolete, because it explains quite well CMS's personality. In my opinion, this can be interpreted in many ways.

• On the surface, it symbolizes her actual life and path. She seems to have dedicated her life to Lady justice.
  • Yet the action of climbing stairs shouldn't be overlooked. It also represents her rise to power.
  • Moreover, I have the impression that she sees herself as Lady Justice and sun. She is the one who decides who has to live or to get punished. (In a later episode, she decides to have BSP and his mother killed)
  • Since she is shown climbing stairs during the day, it reinforces this idea that CMS's life as judge dedicated to justice is fake and just an illusion. Why ? 
  • Because this scene doesn't end with her standing next to Lady Justice, she actually walks away from the statue  (picture 2) Her turning away from Lady Justice explains that her true goal has never been to achieve real and true justice. She uses the law for her own interest. The law is her weapon. Look at the statue of Lady Justice, she has a sword in her hand! CMS gave the impression of a fair and humble judge which she never was. 
  • Since she is shown next to Lady Justice, this could be seen as the pinnacle of her career and life. She has reached the peak of her life and career. CMS has achieved what she really wanted: to become the real owner of Gisung hence she doesn't want to leave this town.
  • However, her turning way from Lady Justice should be considered as a turning point in CMS's life. The fake image of herself as a good judge is about to be unveiled and her power to be destroyed. To me, this scene indicates that CMS's reign is about to fall apart. We are about to assist to her downfall because she won't be able to keep the illusion.

Striking is that the town Gisung is also introduced with such a contrast to CMS.

Spoiler

Lawless Lawyer episode Gisung 1.png

Gisung seems to belong to another world, since BSP needs to cross a bridge in order to enter Gisung. Usually, a bridge embodies the connection between two different worlds. Moreover, it is surrounded by a thick fog. His "brother" even notices this: "I've never seen a fog like this before. I feel like I am in Heaven". However, BSP doesn't reply to this comment. This is not surprising because this fog gives me more the impression that you are about to enter Hell and not Heaven. Then the next camera shot Lawless Lawyer episode Gisung 2.pngemphasises that Gisung is not a paradise, rather like a net where it is almost impossible to escape. The entrance of Gisung seems to be so tiny and small due to the cables and wiring. It really looks like a prison. That's why CMS is able to shine so brightly in Gisung. In this "world" where the fog is so heavy, people are looking for the sun. The sun appears to shine more brightly in a dark world as it gives people some hope. In a world, where despair and crimes are ruling, people are looking for a person who can give hope which is CMS.

Since she considers herself as the sun, even mistaking herself as a Goddess (related to Lady Justice), this underlines that she is somehow delusional. Her real and  true nature is revealed at night.

Spoiler

Lawless Lawyer episode 2.png

I also noticed that her true personality is also connected to rain, the opposite of the sun. In reality, she brings death, despair, pain and injustice. BPS's mother and HJY's mother were killed during a rainy night. This is no coincidence. The reality is that CMS is a goddess of death, rather being Lady Justice. NamSJ is actually her shadow. She knows the true personality of CMS: the latter is a thug and crime lord disguised as a judge. Unlike CMS, NSJ is behaving the total opposite. She doesn't care about giving a good impression. For her, pretense is obsolete. She likes power and she doesn't care about good manners as well. What matters to her the most is power and she has no problem to abuse her power (see the scene with the slapping). Since she knows that she can never be CMS's successor (she doesn't have the education for that) she wants her daughter NJH to become CMS's spiritual daughter so that NJH can get her legacy.   

On the other hand, CMS wants to be seen as a mother by HJY. She prefers HJY over NJH because she sees that HJY has a huge sense of justice. In my opinion, there are many reasons why CMS takes care of HJY and keeps encouraging her. CMS could be feeling sorry towards HJY as she is the one responsible for her mother's death/disappearance. Nevertheless, I suspect that CMS could have been different in the past, similar to HJY but she might have been forced to become like this due to her father. Notice that there is a strong connection between CMS and her father: the picture of them at Ha's studio and it was mentioned in the interview. Another observation is that CMS seems to be quite genuine with HJY. She complained how uncomfortable she feels, when she wears the judge robe. This remark is not anodine: CMS expresses her real discomfort and it is related that she needs to act like a fair judge all the time. Faking to be a good judge represents a huge burden in the long run. On the other hand, CMS can not entirely be herself around HJY because she wants to keep HJY as her most fervent fan. She knows that HJY worships her and this is important for her. She needs this in order to feel less guilty and less burden. 

Only BPS knows the real face of CMS but he can not tell HJY directly that "all that glitters is not gold". 

She needs to discover it herself as she has been manipulated and "brainwashed" for such a long time. In order to destroy a "false religion", you need to reveal the true face of that religion: the crimes committed behind people's back.

Here are my final words: sun and gold are similar hence this "Golden City project" is linked to CMS. 

Great writeup!

I agree that for JY, she has to find out the truth on her own. It's no use for anyone to tell her the reality that is CMS...

We are only at the beginning of this beautiful train-ride. I wait to see what else can happen and how BP is going to go against this all powerful woman. Especially now that he has painted a big target on himself.

JY definitely needs to come to her own conclusion about MS, but she is not some naive girl that follows her blindly and SP is not some guy who just sees right through her with his wit. He literally saw her on the night of his mother's death. That is some information that would help anyone come to the conclusion that MS is not a righteous individual. 

gonna post this in spoilers, just some observations from the latest episode:

Spoiler

i liked that somehow the story is f**king with the viewers as it is being told:

1) it is focusing hard on the duality of BSP;  the villains are often portrayed quite straightforwardly, but the portrayal of BSP's extreme duplexity erodes the viewer's trust in his character and establishes him as the most fearsome person in the story, despite being the main "good guy". This sets up for an interesting ride for the viewer later on , as well as HJY, whom so far seems to represent/is still part of the audience; she does not seem have agency to work the wheels that spin the story forward, yet. 

2) the story is answering a lot of questions, but in a way that distracts the viewer from the questions that STILL remain unanswered. 
We are now privy to the knowledge that BSP wants to protect HJY because her mother saved his life and episode after episode we are constantly reminded of this. However, the narrative does not really answer the important question: what really happened to HJY's mother? is she really dead? if they killed her, why didn't they stage her suicide like what they did with BSP's mother and that guy with the mole in ep4? Is this the reason CMS had been keeping HJY close? Because her mother has some damning evidence but they don't know where she is? If you recall in ep1, during the scene where he was drinking with his uncle, it was revealed the real reason BSP is returning to Giseong was because HJY was also returning after getting suspended. Perhaps he sees the need to return now that HJY is going to fall back into harm's (CMS's) way?

I also find it difficult to believe BSP would seek revenge so confidently without having leverage already in his hands. I'd like to think that "Is HJY's mother really dead? and if not, who is protecting her?" , that's the real question.

Lastly, i can only say i don't really like where BSP and HJY's relationship is heading as of now. The show is just setting these two up for a roller coaster ride of misunderstandings, which is very typical k-drama. However, if this is resolved earlier, we won't need to waste our times pondering whether they will or will not be together and can proceed with the a$$ kicking. The bright side is that the show seems to be moving fast in this area, so I'm not so worried. 

@chickenchopflipflop83 Actually, BSP decided to return to Gisung the moment he received the notebook. Remember, he received a delivery and the sender is unknown. To me, it looks like HJY's mother is still alive but she waited for the right moment. Only after reading the content of the black notebook, BSP met HJY at the court, where she lost her case. 

1. HJY's mother could be alive 
  2. Maybe he didn't know the identity of the woman back then, until he received the notebook. He was so young and his uncle couldn't go to Gisung because his sister didn't want her son to return to that town. 

1 minute ago, bebebisous33 said:

@chickenchopflipflop83 Actually, BSP decided to return to Gisung the moment he received the notebook. Remember, he received a delivery and the sender is unknown. To me, it looks like HJY's mother is still alive but she waited for the right moment. Only after reading the content of the black notebook, BSP met HJY at the court, where she lost her case. 

1. HJY's mother could be alive 
  2. Maybe he didn't know the identity of the woman back then, until he received the notebook. He was so young and his uncle couldn't go to Gisung because his sister didn't want her son to return to that town. 

i could be wrong, but when i watched the scene with chinese subs, after he received the  notebook, he told his uncle that he was going back to giseong. his uncle asked if he's going back for revenge. when bsp didn't reply he asked again if it was because of that ahgassi (HJY) so that confirmed it for me that the message on the notebook was related to HJY. however, i could be wrong as my chinese sucks. 

meanwhile thanks for pointing out the other question still unanswered : what was the msg in the notebook?

BSP definitely knew about HJY before her court case. He was at her graduation from law school.

Oh I believe her mother is still alive. Super interested in knowing where she is and how she plays into the CMS/AOJ storyline. 

Interesting thoughts @bebebisous33 @chickenchopflipflop83 ! I agree with both of you about JY's mother's whereabouts which might be one of the important mysteries kept by this drama to unfold later on. I really need the sub for tonight's episode in order to know whether JY's father recognized SP or not... I assume their Giseong neighborhood isn't so big that there's a chance that people there know his mother as she's a lawyer.

12 hours ago, bluelilac1214 said:

And @violina thank you so much for the updates: article, IG posts, video clips, everything. You rock!! 

aww thanks.talking about the goodies..man there is just so much to share..sorry guys I couldnt share the ep 4 live videos as they were being posted on youtube.Real life pulled me away.Here they are:

Spoiler

The End!!!!!!

Preview 5

One blogger has started recapping the drama too.Her writing style is similar to dramabeans.

Read here for her take on ep 1:

https://kjtamusings.wordpress.com/2018/05/20/lawless-lawyer-episode-1-recap/amp/

lol there is another lawlaw sales lady for the lurkers:

http://dramaswithasideofkimchi.com/2018/05/19/lawless-lawyer-five-reasons-to-watch-after-just-one-episode/

Favourite gifs for today:

I dont know if our Bong Sang Pil is anti-hero, a saint or even villain in disguise.But for now can I fangirl over him playing "Daddy Long Legs" for Ha Jae Yi(by the way who loves the sound of his voice when he mention her name?). 

Looks like our sly Lawyer was the one who secretly bought that bouquet of flowers:wub:(but am laughing at kdrama peripheral vision...i mean its clear as day that they can see each other:D or maybe HJY knows more about BSP than she is letting on?):

tumblr_p8zdrwA3u51vqlkb3o2_250.gif

tumblr_p8zdrwA3u51vqlkb3o1_250.gif

Archived