[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

Cannot wait until after the almost wedding arc. This arc has always been my least least favorite in all versions I watched. It really made my blood boil to see the guilty one put on such a meek, victim persona and fool everyone when in reality she was so cruel that she is willing to kill and hurt any rival, while at the same time,  the wrongfully accused and framed one got all the accusations unfairly. This kind of scenario, no matter in HSDS or anywhere else,  always pissed me off.

So glad that finally this arc will be over next week and hopefully WJ "see" the truth. 

"Don't judge the book by its cover" is something that WJ, XX,  and most of the good sect disciples in the story can learn a thing or two about. I feel that one of the The scariest type of person and the most dangerous kind of enemy is not the bold and openly shrewd like ZM,  but the "two-faced" type like ZZR.

In any conflict, one can fight the enemies better when he/she openly know who their enemies are but hidden enemies who put the facade of friends? That's among the types of opponent that's hardest to fight against. 

:sweatingbullets:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yitian_fan said:

I know, I'm just generally grumpy at ZWJ for constantly rejecting our ZM... :bawling:

Yes! :) (Thanks I thought I had seen it before, but had assumed that it would end up in a trailer!)

So that should be next week as well because it's before the wedding scene!

This scene should be on eps 42. just before the wedding.

Please ignore me if you disagree but I felt like ranting a bit here lol I don't know if it is ZWJ's portrayal or the screenwriters/director or the original novel or what but I am not really happy with ZWJ at this point. The only prior version I watch was with Lawrence Ng and Gigi Lai and that was a long time ago but I remember loving ZM (best female character ever) and felt ok with ZWJ. I don't know what it is but I am irritated at this ZWJ because of his reaction and treatment of ZM. If I remember correctly (I can be wrong), ZWJ should at least show some type of attraction to ZM and even if he doesn't know it, we as audience kind of know that ZM is different and his feeling for her is special. Even though he is nice to every girl but ZM seems different. In this version, why do I feel like he is not only nice but like all of the girls?! Especially since they make ZM more bold and emotional in terms of expressing her love, it just makes ZWJ more heartless and mean in my view. I mean I understand if he is trying to keep his distance because they are on opposite side but if he is really in love with her, in crucial moments, he should throw things to the wind in the heat of the moment. I mean it really gets to me when ZM is pushing that boat away and I just want him to hold her (not like stopping her like a bystander) but hold her like both of their hearts are breaking because they are not meant to be... Plus if he really love her enough he should of think of ways for them to be together. ZM is right, she is willing to sacrifice for him and he didn't even think about doing it for her. Plus I felt like they keep discriminating ZM because of her background, while Ming sect was in the same shoes before (being misjudge by all the righteous sect as evil). It just seems soooo unfair to her and this feeling is completely different from the other version. In the other version, I am fascinated by her brilliance and she is always one step above everyone. She is arrogant enough to care less of what other ppl say except for ZWJ. In this version I just want ZM to move on and find a better man and not suffer so much. ZWJ better redeem himself big time...and did I see a great big smile on his face at the wedding with ZZR??? WTH? Somehow this is making me feel like he is not in love with ZM until later on when she had to satisfy and 'die' before he loves her...which is kind of sad. This is not about which girl sacrifice more to get the guy but the guy willing to accept he is in love with someone very different and opposite him and overcome the obstacles to be together...sigh...

56 minutes ago, BreezeC said:

Please ignore me if you disagree but I felt like ranting a bit here lol I don't know if it is ZWJ's portrayal or the screenwriters/director or the original novel or what but I am not really happy with ZWJ at this point. The only prior version I watch was with Lawrence Ng and Gigi Lai and that was a long time ago but I remember loving ZM (best female character ever) and felt ok with ZWJ. I don't know what it is but I am irritated at this ZWJ because of his reaction and treatment of ZM. If I remember correctly (I can be wrong), ZWJ should at least show some type of attraction to ZM and even if he doesn't know it, we as audience kind of know that ZM is different and his feeling for her is special. Even though he is nice to every girl but ZM seems different. In this version, why do I feel like he is not only nice but like all of the girls?! Especially since they make ZM more bold and emotional in terms of expressing her love, it just makes ZWJ more heartless and mean in my view. I mean I understand if he is trying to keep his distance because they are on opposite side but if he is really in love with her, in crucial moments, he should throw things to the wind in the heat of the moment. I mean it really gets to me when ZM is pushing that boat away and I just want him to hold her (not like stopping her like a bystander) but hold her like both of their hearts are breaking because they are not meant to be... Plus if he really love her enough he should of think of ways for them to be together. ZM is right, she is willing to sacrifice for him and he didn't even think about doing it for her. Plus I felt like they keep discriminating ZM because of her background, while Ming sect was in the same shoes before (being misjudge by all the righteous sect as evil). It just seems soooo unfair to her and this feeling is completely different from the other version. In the other version, I am fascinated by her brilliance and she is always one step above everyone. She is arrogant enough to care less of what other ppl say except for ZWJ. In this version I just want ZM to move on and find a better man and not suffer so much. ZWJ better redeem himself big time...and did I see a great big smile on his face at the wedding with ZZR??? WTH? Somehow this is making me feel like he is not in love with ZM until later on when she had to satisfy and 'die' before he loves her...which is kind of sad. This is not about which girl sacrifice more to get the guy but the guy willing to accept he is in love with someone very different and opposite him and overcome the obstacles to be together...sigh...

I can see your frustration the way they portray ZWJ in this version. But isn’t his character always wishy-washy? I think in this version they made ZM more in love and desperate over ZWJ, which I think other version doesn’t show as much. In return they do show a lot of infatuation moments of ZWJ towards ZM. I think Joseph portrayal as the ZWJ in love with ZM doesn’t come out as strong because the director seems to spotlight ZM love in this version (which will make Yukee, the actress memorable as ZM). But I do notice ZWJ gaze and look towards ZM in all the scenes they are together, are very special compare when he looks at other girls. And when he was forced into making a vow to marry ZZR, you can see he was unwilling to because he knew he has feelings for ZM. Also it seems like until this point,  ZWJ stance for the Ming Sect is the priority over love. He is somewhat similar to ZZR in this stance protecting the sects against the mongol. So I think he does somewhat feel ZZR will be a better match as a wife, knowing that ZM and him have no future together as opponents, even though he has stronger feelings toward ZM (it’s modern concept of picking a wife - mind over matter). I can see why ZWJ chose ZZR out of logical thinking.

• Like 4

@BreezeCnot that i' disagree with you but i think i agree with @GLT the way ZWJ stare at ZM is different compare to the other girls also the 'almost kiss' ZWJ only lose control of ZM around. 

About the discrimination, if you look at the history the Mongols are very brutal and cruel compared to other dynasty in the history. They are really good at conquest but when it comes to how to manage the land and people they just robbed and tortured people. That is why Yuan dynasty only lasted for a while their land stretching until eastern europe ( if i'm not mistaken ). That is why they hate ZM so much. Whatever she did will be considered trick or decoy to fool people.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GLT said:

I can see your frustration the way they portray ZWJ in this version. But isn’t his character always wishy-washy? I think in this version they made ZM more in love and desperate over ZWJ, which I think other version doesn’t show as much. In return they do show a lot of infatuation moments of ZWJ towards ZM. I think Joseph portrayal as the ZWJ in love with ZM doesn’t come out as strong because the director seems to spotlight ZM love in this version (which will make Yukee, the actress memorable as ZM). But I do notice ZWJ gaze and look towards ZM in all the scenes they are together, are very special compare when he looks at other girls. And when he was forced into making a vow to marry ZZR, you can see he was unwilling to because he knew he has feelings for ZM. Also it seems like until this point,  ZWJ stance for the Ming Sect is the priority over love. He is somewhat similar to ZZR in this stance protecting the sects against the mongol. So I think he does somewhat feel ZZR will be a better match as a wife, knowing that ZM and him have no future together as opponents, even though he has stronger feelings toward ZM (it’s modern concept of picking a wife - mind over matter). I can see why ZWJ chose ZZR out of logical thinking.

As you all remember XZ told ZM  in esp 36. to take care of ZWJ for her because she can tell that ZWJ love ZM. XZ know because she been taking care of ZWJ daily and know his feeling toward all the girls that love ZWJ. 

I noticed that ZWJ eyes follow ZM and care for her more especially when she got hurt. He clean the fruit and hand to ZM first and not ZZR and asked how she feeling.  I do think that he love her but just he couldn't tell the world because they are opposite site.  He didn't want to get closer to her for that reason. I'm sure he know how much ZM give up and sacrifice for him and that why he told her to forget him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BreezeC said:

I dont know if we are on the same episode, but from what i see in ep 35/36, he treats her quite noticably different from the rest. From the way he offered her food to the way he keeps sneaking glances at her throughout the episodes. Xiao Zhao told ZM that ZWJ likes her most. Xiao Zhao's mother made a comment about it too. Not to mention the fact that he was in complete panic when he couldn't find her on the island. Once he found out Yin Li was dead, his first thought was ZM, in which he called her Min Min for the first time (sad she wasnt there to hear it). His reluntance to the marriage contract with ZZR. I think I'm noticing people just watching the previews and clips without fully watching the episodes, in which you are missing a lot of details and nuances. 

• Like 5

@dramagirlslove lol You are spot on. I haven't watch the recent episodes yet but I just ranted out because I just show that scene with the helplessness of ZM pushing the boat...Heat of the moment and guess I ranted too soon... lol but thanks everyone for pointing out that he did at least treat ZM differently in the latest episodes, something to look forward to and that make me feel better...I really enjoy this slightly different version of ZM @GLT I agree that this make ZM much more memorable because we feel for her. 

@graceeedwardmom Yep, I know a bit about Mongols history and it is completely understandable that they were overthrown and I always think whenever I see ZM's brilliance that if they have a good ruler (a male version of ZM) they will not be doom so soon but I guess I am using a more modern view on ZM treatment because she doesn't represents all Mongols. I completely understand why Ming sect is against Mongols and prejudice against her but I am bias toward ZM lol  the good thing is ZWJ didn't see her as a clan but a kind person underneath.

ZWJ agreed to married ZZR because of his god father. To him, his god father come first and ZM know it also. I can't blame him for that even those he love ZM more than ZZR. If it not for his god father, he wouldn't leave at the wedding and go with ZM and I'm sure ZM using that reason to make he leave and knowing ZZR is the one who killed YL and she doesn't want him to regret later. 

• Like 1

@BreezeC and all,  BreezeC I agree with you- ZM is so committed to ZWJ that she appears pathetic because his reaction makes her seem desperate or that she can't take a hint.  Totally with you about wanting to tell ZM to just move on based on where I am.  

So yes, while I'm annoyed at ZWJ (because I know I'm supposed to know, in spite of his actions, that he loves ZM) , I'm mostly mad at how they're portraying ZM.  The ZM in my heart is better than this!

@GLT  You're correct, the wishy-washy'ness is not actually an invention of this script, it is true to the JY novel, where JY deliberately made him so to the very end.  In the book (at least one of the revisions),

Spoiler

ZZR appears at ZM/ZWJ's ''wedding" and laughs, end of novel.

[Face palm]

Most dramas just actually modify that because it's so unacceptable to modern audiences.  

@dramagirlslove @bluesky888 @graceeedwardmom  Perhaps it is that I'm still at Ep 33 (seen the full episodes since GMD), but this is frustrating because there's no build-up, positive interactions go back to being blank annoyance... it's as if ZWJ doesn't remember having all those  cute/romantic/interesting relationship-developing moments with ZM.  Off to see if (like you) Ep 34-35 corrects that! :)

[I still love 'em, who am I kidding? Just a rant at the twisting of characters to add to ZM romantic angst!]

I'm hoping what will save ZM for me is that by the time the wedding comes around, it's as much about justice for herself as it is about a  I-insist-you-actually-love-me-and-I'm-willing-to-kill-myself-to-show-you fight over ZWJ,.

Edit: Ok, part way through Ep 34 and at least it seems like ZM was mostly out of options to save even herself by the time she tried the suicidal move, so that makes sense! (Plus she's so pretty in action! ;))) )

• Like 1

Here we are again waiting for wednesday. 

To treat my hunger for the drama, i kept repeating the scene i like. For me, it is suicidal move by ZM, i swear it's very COOL, yukee chen nailed the scene in perfection. ZWJ rushed to her rescue and threatened the persian fighter is also very COOL. 

But i also think they spent too much time for 'BITE' scene. 

What about you guys? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, graceeedwardmom said:

Here we are again waiting for wednesday. 

To treat my hunger for the drama, i kept repeating the scene i like. For me, it is suicidal move by ZM, i swear it's very COOL, yukee chen nailed the scene in perfection. ZWJ rushed to her rescue and threatened the persian fighter is also very COOL. 

But i also think they spent too much time for 'BITE' scene. 

What about you guys? 

Yep not to mention he broke through the acupuncture point when he saw her in danger. 

@BreezeC but that's how ZWJ in the novel though. For everyone who's already watched all version of this story i'm sure this is the ZWJ from the novel. 

For ZM, a bit of dramatic actually from this remake but still bearable. I just want the wedding episode and the rest. I'm not a fan of snake island arc. 

I kinda want more of these two interaction tho B)

rCwKNy1.gif

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hamaji said:

@BreezeC but that's how ZWJ in the novel though. For everyone who's already watched all version of this story i'm sure this is the ZWJ from the novel. 

For ZM, a bit of dramatic actually from this remake but still bearable. I just want the wedding episode and the rest. I'm not a fan of snake island arc. 

I kinda want more of these two interaction tho B)

rCwKNy1.gif

Yesss I loved them. The fact that XZ did not like ZM in the beginning, ZM constantly flirting with ZWJ in front of her, to her coming to terms with that, and seeing that ZM risked her life to save her, her mother, and ZWJ. XZ realized that ZM was far from the demon girl everyone made her out to be. Even with ZZR, there was a scene where ZZR took ZM's sword and tried to avenge her master, and ZM told her to never touch her sword again. Then come next episode where ZM gave ZZR the sword to help fight the Persians cause she was injured. Great development. 

• Like 6

What I really loved about this version is that it seems everyone seems to be against ZM except for her family and ZWJ. Yet she constantly walks with confidence. Talk with conviction. Act with conviction. She has no regrets in her actions, strong in her beliefs. Her love doesn't waver and she will never give up. Can I just say how badass she is for wearing all black to a all red wedding. Coming there with no guards, knowing full well everyone there is an enemy except for maybe ZWJ and Fan Yao. In every version, I've always felt like she knew ZWJ would never let them touch one hair on her spoiled little head. There was no need for guards.

• Like 9

And I find it weird that ZM, upon hearing from XZ that ZWJ likes her, ZM immediately questions ZWJ about it in front of his godfather. I felt like if she wanted the answer she wanted to hear, she should have waited till they were alone. Knowing that his godfather does not like her identity, ZWJ answered cautiously. If she wanted the true answer, she should have at least waited till they were alone, he would have answered differently. 

• Like 3