[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

5 hours ago, bluesky888 said:

I thought there a scene where she got throw into the ocean and WJ safe her. That not yet happening right. 

I think this scene will be friday night by looking at their clothes and hair. My prediction is ZZR drugged and threw ZM to the ocean while ZWJ frantically search and call for her name because he thought ZM runaway after killing YL and stealing sword and sabre.

Haven't finished watching Episode 31 yet but as usual the burning pagoda sequence is loads of fun. CGI is not anything to write home about but at least Young Joseph seemed like he had a good time with the wire work and green screen.

Did anyone shed a tear for Miejue? Not me. Such a ridiculously silly woman. It's fine to have principles but this is beyond a joke. I'm not even sure there's any consistency in this. The woman runs a cult. Her chosen one can't be tainted by WJ but apparently it's okay for her other disciples to be rescued or go up in smoke.

The burning of Wan An pagoda is also symbolic in the way it showed who really loves whom. See that's why I don't root for ZR and WJ. Miejue is her one true love. :P Underneath his nice boy demeanour, I think WJ must sense that her heart's not really with him. From this too I get the impression that QS is more enamoured with ZR than WJ is. The only time it seems to me that WJ's heart isn't in a steady state is when the agent provocateur ZM is around.

ZM looked faintly amused when her well-laid plans were going up in smoke while ZWJ was busy with his firefighter duties. It really wasn't personal for her.

4 hours ago, arcchidus said:

Haha, is it just me or has this thread gotten a lot more active since ZM appeared? I mean, I totally gets it. I didn't start watching this until ZM showed up too. I know who I like and I know I don't really care until ZM shows up. ;)

Well, apart from the fact that she's probably the most interesting female character in the story... everyone knows that when she shows up... the real romance has only just begun.

;)

Still the rest of this version's pretty good. I usually fast forward through the childhood arc but in this one, I watched almost all of it without touching the FF button.

• Like 5

Awwww, poor Joseph Zeng is so insecure about his acting... and his big eyes! I find it hard to believe that someone actually advised him to act with squinted eyes! I vaguely remember reading about him taking part in The Birth of an Actor (which didn't turn out great for him), but I can't recall any controversies regarding his casting in HSDS. 

http://www.dramapanda.com/2019/03/joseph-zeng-addresses-doubts-on-his.html

I think he acts well in HSDS! Like I mentioned before, I kind of undermined him, but he gave me nice surprise with his acting. From the BTS, we can also see he took it seriously.

• Like 2

ZM is truly a strong lady. One just simply  don't mess with her if dont want to be at the receiving end of her witty, smart, strong scheme and comeback B). Well,  excwpt WJ but he has fallen hook and sinker so he is the exception hahaha. (and nope,  I am not a closet shipper hahaha.  I announced it :lol:). 

I think one possible reason why WJ didn't seem to act harsh on ZZR has something to do with him feeling indebted for all the care he received when they were kids.  WJ is very impressionable, I would think being a kid will make him even more impressionable. With ZM,  he loves deeply so the hurt is worst,  but with ZZR,  deep inside I feel he already realize that his feeling toward her was more like a sister/friend. Plus, YL appear to be alive so it make it easier to let go

Now,  as mentioned, ZM seems to be suffering a lot for him.  Good thing he have a lifetime  to make it up to her :lol:

I've watched some BTS,  and I really like Joseph and Yukee interaction in the dungeon scene when he was about to tickle her foot.  You can see his mischevousness when he was about to tickle her foot. They seem to be more comfortable woth each other compared to the bts where they took tHe promotional picture (although i felt Joseph was quiet in the photoshoot, like he's not really fit or feeling tired that day). My guess was that the dungeon scene was filmed a tad later as they already grow more comfy with each other,  just like friends :lol:. Although Yukee seems to be quite quiet and shy in real life? If so,  good acting chop there :wub:. She acted angry, cute,  cunning,  shy,  and in-love really well. :thumbsup:

Wish we have more BTS  gems:glasses:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, hamaji said:

:)

Ze4NUsS.jpg

Source: weibo

This part should be after the wedding part. Seem like at Shaolin.

7 hours ago, hamaji said:

@Yitian_fan :wub: :wub: :wub:

@arcchidus this one right?

D6qv7fQ.jpg

L6oLD4K.jpg

I'm curious about this scene too. It's the same clothes when the first time she met Zhang Wuji. Probably this will happen in the Lion Meeting at Shaolin. Maybe... idk :sweatingbullets:

And then, there is this scene

Hide contents

xmswgke1wsttpqg3kqy2ysxk_zps5wyjx51o.jpg

This scene will be in eps 39-40 from the preview. not the one ZM wearing Red clothes.  I'm talking the above picture of ZM & ZWJ. Another heartbroken in eps 39-40 preview when ZM told WJ that she want to be with him and she doesn't care the married agreement of him and ZZR.

Okay, last pic, WJ looks sooo happy there :lol:. Content and happy. That's the face of someone who finally got to be the one that he really love and want to spend a lifetime with :glasses:. No more pretending, no more hiding his feeling. he can finally showcase his feeling;)

I watched preview ep 40. (39? couldnt remember haha). It kinda clarify as to why he never want to pursue his feeling to ZM: he

Spoiler

knew that the day will come when he will face off with her family. Either he died, or her family.

. He never say that he only think of her as sister or childhood friend or childhood savior  (;)), but he actually thinks everything carefully (well..well..usually he seems to be very naive when it comes to love :lol:). He knows that if they are still at their current status, she will end up miserable (at least that's what I got from what he implied in the preview?). (see spoiler first haha ;)) and both of that will hurt her nevertheless.

I find this kind of feeling, consideration really deep and touching. No need dramatic exclamations to the moon, but just think about her happiness is much sweeter for me. (Although his action of trying to keeping her away might not necessarily make ZM happy :lol:).

I like that this version really spell out the impossible, the obstacles that ZM/ZWJ had to face. It's not that he didn't like her, but their identities hinder their reunion. :wub:

This version did good job portraying the strong, cunning, and capable ZM, but also childlike, weaker part of her as well, torn between her feeling and her identity. Make her more humane. One of the best ZM for me.

In the previous versions, I felt ZM and ZWJ got together more easily, but in here, they had to face greater obstacles, which make it more believable considering they literally are enemy of the ruling dynasty and the group who is fighting to overthrow the dynasty. (not just different sect, like Ming vs. 6 sects).

Cannot wait until they went to save Xiexun. really cannot stand too much drama with the almost marriage and the lies and pretense concocted by ZZR:sweatingbullets:. My least favorite arc in HSDS.

Peace all:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Eeeee!  @Hamaji, that's adorable- WJ looks so happy in that one!  And holding hands! (I know, we're sad, even holding hands is a win by wuxia standards.):wub:

Ok, Chipz03 I just checked the previews and you're right, these are pretty heart-breaking and I find both moving.

The first is because ZM and ZWJ are so direct with each other, and ZM is correct that the central issue is that

Spoiler

ZWJ is not willing to give it all up for her and she still loves him more than he does her at this point.

The second is moving because this is ZM and her family coming to reckoning about her shift in allegiance.  It's terribly sad because her family seems so reasonable and cool and are also (in her view at least, based on her hotpot conversation) upright officials doing what is best for the people and the empire, and she's

Spoiler

betraying a lot of what that stands for in choosing ZWJ over them.

It's the one point I've always, always struggled with in my long-term interest in ZM as a character.  JY probably wrote that back in the day when women were expected to shift to the side of their husbands over time and love trumps all, but I definitely feel the tension for ZM as a full human, with her own sense of right/wrong's alongside of her love for ZWJ.

• Like 4

I can't wait until WJ's hair is out of his face! His current hair is tragic :/

and poor Joseph Zheng- the criticism of his...big eyes?? Is overboard. I do think he has room for improvement in some scenes, but overall I really like his version of WJ! He's naive without being stupid, emotional without being sloppy. His version to me is up there with Tony Leung!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Agreed on the really harsh critiques from the chinese audience! :( I think Joseph is doing a great job and doesn't deserve to have to come out and do a public apology?! (And seriously, there's lots of horrible actors but why the public shaming for Joseph I really don't get!  He's a WHOLE lot better than many others!)

And I too am worried about how few episodes there are left!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Yitian_fan said:

Agreed on the really harsh critiques from the chinese audience! :( I think Joseph is doing a great job and doesn't deserve to have to come out and do a public apology?! (And seriously, there's lots of horrible actors but why the public shaming for Joseph I really don't get!  He's a WHOLE lot better than many others!)

And I too am worried about how few episodes there are left!

Yeah I really don't get it. Public apology is really too much. That's ridiculously crazy to me! If you don't like it, don't watch it. Geeze.

• Like 1

I think this version is more details than other versions. They are young and fresh that make a whole different to this version.

I think XX would agreed for WJ & ZM together if she not the princess. According to him, ZM is like WJ's mom in a way and that why he feel WJ like ZM character. She very straight forward when talking. But after he found out from ZZR, he change his mind and not treating ZM nice and equal to other girl. ZM can also feel it not fair for her after she try to help WJ in anyway she can.

There also a part that ZM wearing a RED dress, seem like she about to married some other guy from her country. I think WJ will come and rescue her. Not sure if this part comping up soon.

I can't help but to rewatch parts of the 2000 version to try to remember what happened plot-wise and story-wise. The wedding scene is always one of the most memorable parts. GMD is still my favorite part so far and I like Joseph's portrayal of ZWJ over Lawrence Ng's version. I do have to point out ZM's outfit is closer to what a Han female would wear vs. in older versions she's in her Mongolian attire. I kind of wished we could see her more in the Mongolian attire. 

I also noticed this watching the 2000 version where some Er Mei disciples are dressed as regular females and some dressed as nuns. I like how they made the uniforms the same this version, but the old version is able to let us know that some of the students could marry and some have taken vows to become nuns. 

To answer someone's question, MJ was married before she took a vow to become a nun. According to YX, her husband battled him and ended up losing his life so MJ thinks YX is at fault for her husband's death so she hates the  Ming Sect. Later at the burning pagoda arc, ZM's master/ming sect spy guy lies that ZZR is their illegitimate child and they were old loves to save them. MJ gets mad and wants to kill them all to save her reputation --in the end she rather die than to be saved by anyone involved with the Ming sect.

Now--why doesn't ZZR explain that she and ZWJ were childhood friends and everything? Wouldn't MJ understand? The scene were ZZR yells at ZWJ to not touch MJ kind of goes on to explain how MJ is even more important that him. 

Spoiler

In the 2000 version, Jin Hua old grandma turned out to be a pretty lady of Saint Maiden and she's revealed to be young and pretty. So far, I haven't seen her to be revealed to be young and pretty? They have revealed her identity pretty quick as one of the 4 guards of the Ming sect. I wonder if they are going to keep her old appearance o.o?

Sharing this variety show episode I randomly saw. This looked like it was aired recently this month! Must watch for Jin Yong fans. Kathy Chow is in here as ZZR (she acts a scene as both ZZR and MJ), and one of the games they played a race up GMD. Heavily has casts of Semi-god semi-devils, but these key casts show up in a lot of Yin Yong novels (plus an appearance of Jin Yong's 2nd son).  Go to 1:14:50 for HSDS theme song -- not a fan of the rap at the beginning haha.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, bluesky888 said:

I think this version is more details than other versions. They are young and fresh that make a whole different to this version.

I think XX would agreed for WJ & ZM together if she not the princess. According to him, ZM is like WJ's mom in a way and that why he feel WJ like ZM character. She very straight forward when talking. But after he found out from ZZR, he change his mind and not treating ZM nice and equal to other girl. ZM can also feel it not fair for her after she try to help WJ in anyway she can.

There also a part that ZM wearing a RED dress, seem like she about to married some other guy from her country. I think WJ will come and rescue her. Not sure if this part comping up soon.

Why did you see ZM wearing a red dress?

A parallel article about Yukee as ZM

http://www.dramapanda.com/2019/03/yukee-chen-on-playing-zhao-min-in.html

Her photo in a red dress (at least this one that is displayed on the story) is not from HSDS- perhaps the MV was mash-up?

@Yui, I know the costumes here are pretty, but I (like some others) would have appreciated some attempt at ethnic costumes like they did in  2000 and 2009 (I thought Ady and Gigi rocked the beads and colors of those outfits)  I actually think Yukee also looks good in those braids.