[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

35 minutes ago, dramagirlslove said:

And I find it weird that ZM, upon hearing from XZ that ZWJ likes her, ZM immediately questions ZWJ about it in front of his godfather. I felt like if she wanted the answer she wanted to hear, she should have waited till they were alone. Knowing that his godfather does not like her identity, ZWJ answered cautiously. If she wanted the true answer, she should have at least waited till they were alone, he would have answered differently. 

Not at all, you get much worse answer if ZWJ alone, i think ZWJ will go round and round making excuses and empty promises just like what he did to YL. Remember YL and him got a LOT of time together. This is my opinion.

Better to ask directly, in front of strong witness, XX his own godfather. This is aligned with her strong character. She is the type girl who 光明正大 (do everything proudly open) and 敢爱敢恨 (dare to love and hate)。 Geez, at this point i think ZM is much more gentleman than ZWJ. I hope next eps ZWJ can make it up for her.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I'm completely gobsmacked by the criticisms of young Joseph's performance. So far he's nailed the role in all its essence. :blink: He's probably the most age-appropriate ZWJ that I've seen. And I love how he's completely out of his depth when dealing with the ladies especially ZM. :lol: Even though I've liked most of the other ZWJ, I think Joseph imbues the character with a youthful passion that doesn't feel overly affected. Anyhow... All of this has me reaching for a Chinese idiom that my elders were fond of using... something about having eaten to one's fill and having too much leisure time. 

Ah... the angst is upon us. I'm of two minds about it. I do like the angst but it's always gut wrenching to see ZM get unfairly maligned. But no one can say that the girl doesn't work hard to get what she wants. ;)

I adore the kid that plays ZM... she's so good and she really manages to hold her own even with all the other pretty girls. There's certainly no lack of them in this drama. Her beauty has a certain depth to it that comes from her intelligence. It's very captivating and makes it all the more believable as to why WJ would finally succumb. ;)

I can't wait for the wedding to get disrupted. :P Sometimes I feel a pang or two for ZR... what woman wants to be left at the altar... but I can't muster too much sympathy at the end of the day. It's all based on deceit and manipulation anyway so I'm quite happy for ZM to saunter in and shake things up. It's ZR's comeuppance and a complete lack of understanding of who she's up against. ;) 

I'm going to undertake the thankless task of defending WJ because I like him and I don't think he's wishy washy. I find it telling that in the previews of upcoming episodes that he doesn't come right out and say that he doesn't like ZM. All he says is that they're on opposing sides and one day he'll be fighting her father and brother on the battlefield. If he was really, really keen on getting rid of her, I'd imagine he would come right out and say that he has no feelings for her except as a friend. (He calls most of the others "sisters") But of course WJ can't lie his way out of a plastic bag either. 

I can imagine that most people watch this mainly for the romance which is why they're up in arms about how WJ treats ZM at this point in time. Like everyone else I root for ZM as well. I'm exceedingly fond of ZM and this ZM is fast becoming my favourite. ( I adored Ady An and of course I grew up loving Liza Wang playing badass women)

But I don't watch this entirely for the romance because there's a sociopolitical angle to this that I'm drawn to. 

WJ is stuck in an untenable position. Some of it is of his own making undoubtedly. Because of his meddling, the Ming sect is saved. Against his own desires, he reluctantly becomes leader. He's somewhat emotionally blackmailed IMO into doing so. The upside is that he becomes instrumental in the reformation and unification of Ming and then brings about a truce between the six sects and Ming. In his heart of hearts, it's not what he really wants to do with his life. He spent the first 20 years of his life living a carefree if precarious life. But his Wudang elders want him to use the opportunity to lead Ming onto the straight and narrow and to reformation. Then there's the entire Ming sect made up of formerly disparate entities as well as his maternal relatives who are pinning their hopes on him to lead the campaign against the Mongols. There's a lot at stake for a lot of people and he, being the good boy that he is, doesn't want to let them down. He has obligations to ZSF, his uncles and the tricky task of holding the Ming sect together because he has witnessed firsthand what results from their disunity. Afterall, he saved them... and the six sects from a complete bloodbath.

This is the context from which he operates. He may be Sect Leader Zhang but he's not a character in a rom com. He doesn't have the personal freedom to pursue a romance which he rightly or wrongly perceives to be a lost cause because there is a bigger picture at play. In his formative years, the three people that he cared about the most were his parents and Xie Xun. Out of all of them, only one of them's left. It makes sense that he would be fiercely protective of his godfather... who was practically a second father to him. I certainly would have no respect for WJ if he did not factor XX into his actions. While ZM understands how important XX is to him, I don't think she quite understands why he is hanging onto the leadership of Ming and the agenda of staging a revolution. It's not about giving up ambitions... because WJ must be the least ambitious person in this story. It's largely about carrying through obligations that weigh heavily on him. 

I don't think he's wishy washy in the sense that is commonly understood. Of course his heart wants what it wants and eventually steers him to where he ends up.;) But it's not as if he starts out wanting to deceive people by trying to cover his flaws. When his work is done, he makes a graceful exit and hopefully enjoys the freedom he craves. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dramagirlslove said:

Not to mention the fact that he was in complete panic when he couldn't find her on the island. Once he found out Yin Li was dead, his first thought was ZM, in which he called her Min Min for the first time (sad she wasnt there to hear it). 

Ohhh boy, I can't wait to get to that point!!  Just reading about it makes me happy... ZWJ in a panic over ZM and calling her Minmin at last! (I've noticed near everyone else gets Xiao Zhao or Zhirou and it's just ZM who constantly gets Miss Zhao!)

And I too adore her confidence, but I think someone mentioned somewhere about the difference between poor girl and rich girl? I think growing up a Princess amongst really powerful, confident people like her father and brother has given ZM a real leg up on confidence that few others (not even ZWJ or the Ming sect members) can match.  

I LOVED the fight scene, so pretty and so cool...  ZM doesn't get to fight much but she sure rocks it when she does!  Graceeedwardmom I suspect that's what I'm going to be watching on repeat the next 4 days as well waiting for next Wed! 

Oh and another random favorite bit?  The first Persian fight:  ZM/ZZR coming to ZWJ's aid, and then ZWJ defending ZM and ZZR in return by slowing their falls backward, and then sweeping them behind him as he takes the next blast.... its actually almost as cool as some of the manga fight scenes and ZWJ sure seems awesome! :)   (Plus can I say, I love it that ZWJ takes ZM with him on his trips out- and the one where she is holding yitian and he is using Tulong is a bit of magic too! :) )

• Like 3

I love The fact that zm can have a heartfelt moment with xz despite her being a jealous at first.

she can also put aside her feeling toward ZZR and work together with her in the fight speaks volume of zm character. She knew that there are times when putting asides differences is much more important than anything else

And her quick thinking..super cool.

I want to praise CYQ acting skills here.  She plays the different range of ZM emotion really well. One thing I notice is that,  even when she's doing the choreography for the fight scenes, she didn't fall out of her acting. What i meant is that,  she is still Zhao Min even when she is concentrating on her movements and steps.  A lot of times I saw actors/actress when they focus on fight choreography, they can lose the mimic but not her. Kudos to her. 

Regarding WJ shout Min min when he was in panic, thinking about her getting hurt actually speak volume of his real feeling that he hid.  When aomeone is in panic,  it's very easy to let their guard down, allowing their real feelings to come to the surface. I think this can be an example that he actually start treating ZM as his most important in his subconcious mind. :D

B)

I just remembered one thing.  The pic where ZM got stabbed, she wore the red costume.  Could this be somewhere right before,  in or right after the saving xie xun arc? Because I remembered seeing a BTS where WJ is doing his fight choreography (at the stage where the competition to get XX seems to be),  and at the back,  whrre the Ming cast is,  I thought I saw ZM wearing the red costume there too. One speculation I had

Spoiler

Maybe this is got to do with her brother/father trying to take her back or something like that? If I remember correctly, in the previous versions, het family tried to take her back during her journey to save XX.  In 86 version,  that's when her father said that if she chooses to be with WJ,  she will no longer be her daughter (if I am not mistaken). Very curious how this version progress toward the finale.

Peace all

:D

• Like 2

Spoiler. People who never even once watch dragon sabre don’t read it

Spoiler

They make ZZR too kind hearted at the beginning in this version. I feel it kinda weird that she suddenly can turn that vicious and cunning, seeing that she refuse to kill evil sect’s member and suddenly she kill Yin Li? I don’t remember her character that kind hearted in other versions. Just that she is gentle and soft spoken.

ZWJ in this version seems just love ZM and treat the other girls as his sister. Unlike on the other versions where i feel he loves all the girls, especially Xiao Zhao. I always feel he loves her the most and might choose her over ZM if only she did not have to leave

Edited by aoife86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chipz03 said:

I just remembered one thing.  The pic where ZM got stabbed, she wore the red costume.  Could this be somewhere right before,  in or right after the saving xie xun arc? Because I remembered seeing a BTS where WJ is doing his fight choreography (at the stage where the competition to get XX seems to be),  and at the back,  whrre the Ming cast is,  I thought I saw ZM wearing the red costume there too. One speculation I had

Hide contents

Maybe this is got to do with her brother/father trying to take her back or something like that? If I remember correctly, in the previous versions, het family tried to take her back during her journey to save XX.  In 86 version,  that's when her father said that if she chooses to be with WJ,  she will no longer be her daughter (if I am not mistaken). Very curious how this version progress toward the finale.

Your theory might be one of the possibility. I remember

Spoiler

in 1986 version, when ZM and ZWJ were confronted by ZM's father, she kind of hurt herself so that her family would let both ZWJ and her free. While in 2003, ZM was threatening her father by putting a dagger on her neck.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, aoife86 said:

Reveal hidden contents

They make ZZR too kind hearted at the beginning in this version. I feel it kinda weird that she suddenly can turn that vicious and cunning, seeing that she refuse to kill evil sect’s member and suddenly she kill Yin Li? I don’t remember her character that kind hearted in other versions. Just that she is gentle and soft spoken.

ZWJ in this version seems just love ZM and treat the other girls as his sister. Unlike on the other versions where i feel he loves all the girls, especially Xiao Zhao. I always feel he loves her the most and might choose her over ZM if only she did not have to leave

In this version, it's jealousy that drive ZZR crazy and evil. Her target is ZM, YL is just collateral damage in the process. ZZR got the central attention as this pure innocent beautiful smart talented gentle girl like most wanted and eligible lady in the wulin. Then come ZM entering the picture, everyone seem to forget about her. ZM is the opposite of what ZZR has built her entire life yet she managed to snatch ZWJ heart. 

• Like 3

@aoife86 agree re ZZR being portrayed in a much better light here. I'm curious to see how they explain her transformation once everything is revealed.

I think in the 2009 version WJ definitely seems to have a bit more chemistry with XZ, but I don't remember in the other versions if he treats her any special. The 2009 version did a great job with XZ, she was playful, smart and memorable. I never really care for XZ in other versions. In the novel though I do think he is a bit biased towards XZ since it was for the most part a very uncomplicated relationship, unlike his other ones -_-

@Yitian_fan great point about the difference in confidence due to upbringing! ZZR's turn for the worse could be attributed to her insecurities being brought up as an orphan. XZ's acceptance of being his maid instead of vying for a wife spot also might be due her having to hide her identity and being in the shadow all the time. A Ly has all the baggage about her dad trying to kill her and her appearance being ruined. ZM if we think about it grew up the most fortunate, and is the most spoiled, thankfully that helps her become confident and not evil.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, graceeedwardmom said:

In this version, it's jealousy that drive ZZR crazy and evil. Her target is ZM, YL is just collateral damage in the process. ZZR got the central attention as this pure innocent beautiful smart talented gentle girl like most wanted and eligible lady in the wulin. Then come ZM entering the picture, everyone seem to forget about her. ZM is the opposite of what ZZR has built her entire life yet she managed to snatch ZWJ heart. 

Yes I agree with you, it’s the jealousy that always get the worse out of people. ZZR has a priviledge on the good sect and considered to be the model girl material. She is pretty, gently and has support from her sifu to become leader and Ming Sect to marry ZWJ. She doesn’t know how to use that to her advantage. She could have both fame as leader of her sect and to win ZWJ heart if she knows how to act wisely. I do feel that she lacks confident because of her upbringing, plus jealousy that ultimately leads her down the wrong path.

As for ZM, she has the huge disadvantage for being a royal Mongol who constantly tries to defeat the sects. That’s why no matter how hard she tries to prove her love for ZWJ, she’ll not get the support that she needs. ZM is an admirable character in a way that despite the opposition, she’s strong and confident enough to go against all odds to choose love besides everything else. 

And for ZWJ - When think about it, I no longer think he’s wishy washy, but somewhat wise in love because he waits and weights his actions before acting upon it. Clearly he has feelings toward ZM, but won’t choose her. In this way, I think he’s more realistic  - having strong feelings toward ZM, but controlling it because he knows there are important aspects in life besides love. In this way, ZWJ can be a likable character because I don’t like the kind of Romeo and Juliet love - galloping and dying for love without considering other factors being at play like responsibility, and family. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

[Shameless plug!]

Hey all, sharing something I've been working on which I hope some of you will like as much as I enjoyed writing it:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/18294353

I'm surprised by the lack of English-language HSDS fanfiction given how rich the lore is- in this case I use the "Soulmark" troupe to twist the story just a little. This is unabashedly ZWJ/ZM with some Yangxiao and Ruyang wang awesomeness around the edges.  If you're new to HSDS, it might help to read a plot summary so you can understand the scenes. If you're a long-time fan, I think we (my beta and I) have a few surprises in this AU even for you! 

As I mention in the notes:

"Zhaomin is the character who taught me, way, way back, that quirky and mean can be wonderful, women can be protagonists and that I love wuxia. I have struggled with the various endings of the story and the potential of what could-have-been, if her abilities and passion could have been harnessed and she didn't turn her back on politics, tribe and family. This story is that long-wished-for AU. "

Haven't finished all the episodes as yet,  but as far as I'm concerned Zhao Min is the hero of the Snake Island arc. Wow... the show is doing a stellar job of making the case for why she's WJ's one true love. Even in her impulsive moments she shows herself courageous to the point of self-sacrificing, resourceful and compassionate. I just love her to death. Even in her petty jealousy, there's a forthrightness that's utterly disarming. Poor WJ, he hasn't got a hope. ;) Her love is so big... larger than life but then it makes sense when the odds are stacked so high against her. It is an earth shattering, terrifying sort of love that has the potential to hurt a lot of people and it's not hard to see why WJ holds back.

The obstacles between WJ and ZM are real. Especially when considering the context. When she's playing the realist, she remembers that she is a woman hated and despised. When he remembers their relative positions, the hurdles seem insurmountable. Thinking about the push-pull between them, I was reminded of a lovely line from Andrew Davis' adaptation of Wives and Daughters that wasn't in the novel. "You men concern yourselves with the eternal verities. But we women are content to ponder the petty things in life."

ZR is really such a dull rival by comparison. Sorry. But it has to be said. And yes I'm completely biased. Especially as she gradually turns into Miejue Mark II and degenerates further down the slippery slope. I don't mind people wanting things and fighting for them within reason but I detest hypocrisy. Does she even love WJ? Or is she in love with the childhood version of WJ just like Zhu'er was? She's an excellent example of someone who's been tightly controlled much of her entire life and now that all the restraints are off, she uses her freedom badly. It's like letting loose a child whose been deprived in a candy shop. It's a trainwreck in the making. Miejue at least understood that ZR's infatuation with WJ would be her undoing but MJ's parenting skills... leave much to be desired. Her diagnosis was incomplete. So was the treatment... in trying to control ZR from the grave.

It occurs to me too that despite ZM being labelled "the bad girl" or "the witch", she's a lot less prone to lying to WJ than the so-called "good girls" are.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

@40somethingahjumma

I don't think MJ failed on ZZR, on the contrary since this is a remake and we all know the story ZZR bring glory to Emei. She mastered and showcased the 9yin and establish  Emei as top martial arts school. Although ZZR 9yin is same as Mei Chao Feng skill because both are stealing but in HSDS era the skill is amazing enough to glorify Emei. Marriage is a failure anyway, they will not be happy actually ZM is doing her favor by snatching the groom earlier.

ZZR loves ZWJ but the love come with the whole other list of conditions. ZM love is unconditional, (poor ZM, she got stabbed dunno when) and like you said larger than life. 

By the way, just some trivial thoughts of mine. ZWJ is unbeatable in skill and internal skill but he can't seem broke the chain twice, he need to borrow Heaven Sword to broke them. Also when he was trapped with ZM in Liu Manor, he can't destroy the metal barrier on the top of the dungeon. 

No wonder ZM said ZWJ can't win against her. No need to learn some high level skill like ZZR did just use the tactics.

So I think if someone drugged him and chained him properly also put him in the dungeon then the rebels are easy case.

Also ZWJ is so dumb in concluding that ZM is the perpetrator in snake island arc. I mean can he think? If the perpetrator is ZM she is surely will kill you all (and burn you all I bet the persian must leave some oil behind )before stealing the sabre. Why bother leaving 3 alive and killing only one? :sweat:

Sometimes, I feel ZWJ is dumber than GJ. At least in GJ case the incident happened in HR mom tomb, not a public but hidden place so the perpetrator must be HYS. But this ZWJ just blame ZM just because she is missing?? :triumph:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, graceeedwardmom said:

@40somethingahjumma

I don't think MJ failed on ZZR, on the contrary since this is a remake and we all know the story ZZR bring glory to Emei. She mastered and showcased the 9yin and establish  Emei as top martial arts school. Although ZZR 9yin is same as Mei Chao Feng skill because both are stealing but in HSDS era the skill is amazing enough to glorify Emei. Marriage is a failure anyway, they will not be happy actually ZM is doing her favor by snatching the groom earlier.

ZZR loves ZWJ but the love come with the whole other list of conditions. ZM love is unconditional, (poor ZM, she got stabbed dunno when) and like you said larger than life. 

By the way, just some trivial thoughts of mine. ZWJ is unbeatable in skill and internal skill but he can't seem broke the chain twice, he need to borrow Heaven Sword to broke them. Also when he was trapped with ZM in Liu Manor, he can't destroy the metal barrier on the top of the dungeon. 

No wonder ZM said ZWJ can't win against her. No need to learn some high level skill like ZZR did just use the tactics.

So I think if someone drugged him and chained him properly also put him in the dungeon then the rebels are easy case.

Also ZWJ is so dumb in concluding that ZM is the perpetrator in snake island arc. I mean can he think? If the perpetrator is ZM she is surely will kill you all (and burn you all I bet the persian must leave some oil behind )before stealing the sabre. Why bother leaving 3 alive and killing only one? :sweat:

Sometimes, I feel ZWJ is dumber than GJ. At least in GJ case the incident happened in HR mom tomb, not a public but hidden place so the perpetrator must be HYS. But this ZWJ just blame ZM just because she is missing?? :triumph:

Right! Is ZWJ not aware that this is the same girl that hid the antidote recipe in the hairpin she gave him along with the antidote in the box? He really thought she would come up with such a poor plan and not kill all if she wanted to? Why would she risk leaving them alive for them to come find her? Young, naive ZWJ, sigh. But I guess from his perspective, it made perfect sense. Everyone around him warned him about her. Yan Lan warned him. Fan Yao warned him. His godfather even warned him. So I guess if you're around that kind of thinking for so long, you might start to believe it. And I guess it does look like it is a sort of a girl move to kill the girl that he was supposed to "marry". Poor mentality, that young boy. 

52 minutes ago, graceeedwardmom said:

@40somethingahjumma

Did she though? ;) I never got the impression (at least from the previous version) that Er Mei was that highly regarded especially after ZR's encounter with the yellow-robe lady.  She certainly struck fear in people's hearts but as for glory... I'm not sure... because the Jiu Yin style had quite the vicious edge. All that power brought out the worst in her or vice versa.

To me MJ failed as a parent because all she was concerned about was that ZR make Er Mei great (not necessarily a bad thing) and not marry that devil ZWJ. Clearly MJ was worried that her chosen one would follow in the footsteps of JXF and throw it all away for a man. The brainwashing worked to some degree although ZR defied her on the marriage business despite swearing on the dead and compromising their state in the afterlife. :P

I see things differently because ZR became more of a failure of a human being than what she was before she was forced to take on the mantle of leadership and "bring glory to Er Mei". Perhaps on some level her achievements can be seen as a success but the price she paid to get there... IMO isn't worth it. She killed, she lied to the man she claims to love and she destroyed another man's life. It was soul destroying. Perhaps an argument could be made that all of this fell upon her because she reneged on her oath :P But I just think she got greedy. All that so-called invincibility in her hands... she succumbed to temptation and fell. 

1 hour ago, graceeedwardmom said:

Everyone in the show has their own kind of superpower, don't they?

For ZM it's her quick wit and intelligence. WJ has a talent for martial arts but his desire to believe in the goodness in all people is probably his Achilles' heel. (Honestly I'm glad that he's the one who has inherited all that incredible martial arts because he would never use it for ill) I think it was harder for him to believe that ZR could have committed such heinous acts than for ZM to do so even if the evidence was purely circumstantial. The thing is, he doesn't know either of them as well as he thinks and ZM does like to rub it in mischievously that she's a bad girl. ;)

But yes, he did jump the gun but I don't think stupidity is the issue. ;) Although I don't hold to the belief that every human being is fundamentally good, I can accept that he does and it affects how he deals with everyone. He's fairly consistent about that. Plus he was grieving and not really thinking straight at the time. And with other people pushing certain agendas on the sidelines...

The truth of the matter is that ZM is a lot smarter and far more honest than he knows. And ZR is a lot more cunning and less benevolent than he has been led to believe.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aoife86 said:

Hide contents

I actually like how ZWJ is portrayed in this version. Because as you said he seems to love 1 person instead of being so indecisive in the other versions (to be fair, I think Jin Young said he is supposed to be like that unlike Guo Jing or Yang Guo, but I still like it when he is more clear about the woman he loves). 

On ZZR, I always thought in other versions she is also portrayed as kind hearted in the beginning. It was her jealousy towards ZM that droves her evil at the island, 

2 hours ago, graceeedwardmom said:

Weren’t they also drugged by poison belong to ZM? I think the bone weakening drug that ZM used to to drug all the pugilists previously was the evidence that made ZWJ thought ZM did it, because that drug belongs to the Mongol?

Also I think it was partly because ZWJ knew ZZR when they were kids, so he is led to believe that in no way she could harm him. And I think ZWJ has a soft spot for her as well, because later when she admits her wrongdoing, he forgives her easily (whether its because of love or guilt towards her I’m not sure).

Also Jin Yong said the the character of ZWJ is complicated and whilst he has great martial art skill he is not made to be a leader unlike GJ or YG. So I think To a certain extend he is supposed to be “dumber” than GJ. 

• Like 2