[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

I'm so hooked to this drama, its been a long time since I watch drama raw.

I don't understand why people think there's a lack of chemistry between the leads, to me the attraction is growing to even more powerful as the stories unfold, as befitting to their "forced" romance.

I'm so curious about the confession, I too feel that SOG knew about Gen. Frost plan, and the first love guy? is he human? is he dangerous? but, I would love to see jealous monkey in the next episodes.

btw, since when dis LSG become that hot!? I mean he is always attactive, charming and cute, but he become so manly.. Gunde is sure is a magical place like the 5 elements mountain.. LOL

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, suzy0604 said:

btw, since when dis LSG become that hot!? I mean he is always attactive, charming and cute, but he become so manly.. Gunde is sure is a magical place like the 5 elements mountain.. LOL

So true. I find him 100x more attractive because of this role. Even with that weird SOG haircut and that huge furcoat, he is very attractive. That's the true power of Great Sage Son Ih Gong, to pull that look off. :wink:

• Like 12

I laughed again.

Oh Gong with that disco ball that fits him perfectly.

Then the way he wipes his bottles with so much love...such a.... "my precious"...gollum moment. 

And I always laugh for OG's coats, even in serious scenes, especially the leopard print coat.

Such a charismatic monkey king. :wub:

And very vengeful.

In every moment he thinks of the way to rid himself of the bracelet.

And until he does , he will take a little revenge on Ma Wang, just so no one forgets who is the boss. Cool.

For some reason I think that Oh Gong knows his bracelet is frozen. 

• Like 9

I just finished watching episodes 5 & 6, I love this! 

Read the dramabeans recaps too and though I really dig and respect javabeans' and girlfruday's analyses, I disagree that the demons that appear each episode are completely throwaway. 

While the demons don't resonate as strongly as some of the stories for master's sun, I do feel that they echo the theme of each episode, especially in terms of the key issues the OTP faces.

For episode 5, the little Japanese "demon" takes to the extreme the issue of deception, which is essentially what SOG IS. He's so used to being the constant trickster that he doesn't quite know what to do when confronted with someone who is being genuine and honest with him like JSM is. Beyond the ridiculous crossing and double-crossing that then happened in episode 6, I think the "moral" of the Japanese "demon" is that if you try to deceive others by deceiving yourself, there'll eventually still be a sticky end. Of course the fact that the grandson is that dodgy presidential candidate adds to the overall greater arch of the story too.

For episode 6, the haircutting "demon" may seem weak and have no back story; but I liked that it reflected how pain in itself has value. Especially in today's insta-society, it seems like the fastest, easiest and "free-eat" route out is always the best. But pain is there because those experience and memories meant something to the person. Keeping that pain & working through it (like how Sa Oh Jeong worked at removing that stain from the cup instead of throwing it out) is worth doing.

This also reflects the dilemma that SOG faces as he battles his own impatient nature- he knows he can outlive JSM's lifespan but he still rails against the imprisonment that he's facing and wants out. He IS tempted by General Frost's offer although he ultimately turns it down. Throughout the episode you can see how he fights against the dual urges of wanting freedom and also wanting JSM because of his growing feelings. 

I don't know how genuine he was in that last confession but I hope that it was an honest moment!

(P.S. Lee Seung Gi IS ridiculously attractive in this show. It's like !!!!!!!. And OYS is portraying JSM so movingly- her glimpses of vulnerability are so nuanced. That being said, I like how she finally had more comic moments in episode 6. I hope there's more of that!) 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Yups... I love part when SOG learn to know JSM likey and not likey, it's important for him... And I think he actually can read JSM's mind? Or as JSM's subodinate said that SOG already knew that she also liked him back.

http://mariasilitonga.blogspot.co.id/2018/01/hwayugi-knowing-preference-of-your-lover.html

Credit to owner, I just found this one from youtube...

My highlight for episode 5 still "For her sake, Son Oh Gong destroyed one whole world."

http://mariasilitonga.blogspot.co.id/2018/01/hwayugi-for-her-he-can-do-anything.html

Edited by maria_m2me
added
  • Like 10

Sorry and dont hate me but I'm more excited to watch the bromance between Ma Wang and Oh Gong then Oh Gong and Jin Seon Mi..... I just don't feel any chemistry between them....

I can't wait to watch what the mystery guy intentions and what will he bring to the table....

Everytime I see him , he reminds me of "Professor Severus Snape" from Harry potter..LOL

It will be super awesome if he was a wizard with a wand... Just throwing a curveball.... 

Loving our cute piggy Lee Hong-gi.... :heart:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rocher22 said:

I laughed again.

Oh Gong with that disco ball that fits him perfectly.

Then the way he wipes his bottles with so much love...such a.... "my precious"...gollum moment. 

And I always laugh for OG's coats, even in serious scenes, especially the leopard print coat.

Such a charismatic monkey king. :wub:

And very vengeful.

In every moment he thinks of the way to rid himself of the bracelet.

And until he does , he will take a little revenge on Ma Wang, just so no one forgets who is the boss. Cool.

For some reason I think that Oh Gong knows his bracelet is frozen. 

And what he tricked her again?

i hope not...

that's just too cruel :bawling:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dramaalpaca said:

Read the dramabeans recaps too and though I really dig and respect javabeans' and girlfruday's analyses, I disagree that the demons that appear each episode are completely throwaway. 

While the demons don't resonate as strongly as some of the stories for master's sun, I do feel that they echo the theme of each episode, especially in terms of the key issues the OTP faces.

For episode 5, the little Japanese "demon" takes to the extreme the issue of deception, which is essentially what SOG IS. He's so used to being the constant trickster that he doesn't quite know what to do when confronted with someone who is being genuine and honest with him like JSM is. Beyond the ridiculous crossing and double-crossing that then happened in episode 6, I think the "moral" of the Japanese "demon" is that if you try to deceive others by deceiving yourself, there'll eventually still be a sticky end. Of course the fact that the grandson is that dodgy presidential candidate adds to the overall greater arch of the story too.

For episode 6, the haircutting "demon" may seem weak and have no back story; but I liked that it reflected how pain in itself has value. Especially in today's insta-society, it seems like the fastest, easiest and "free-eat" route out is always the best. But pain is there because those experience and memories meant something to the person. Keeping that pain & working through it (like how Sa Oh Jeong worked at removing that stain from the cup instead of throwing it out) is worth doing

I found this gem of a drama this past weekend and I love it.  I completed episode 6 last night and I agree with your assessment, although the demons do not seem to resonate as strongly as in other dramas, they are representative of the episode.  As for the hair-cutting  demon,   OYS did think for a moment that it would be nice to forget SOG; however, as you stated, "pain has its own value"    YS thought about the times they had together and realized, although painful, she did not want to forget OG. especially since she is already in love with him.   

The writers (the Hong Sisters)  and director are spot on.  I read this is a remake of a Chinese novel/drama.  I have not seen  or read the original novel; however, I applaud the actors in this remake they are doing an excellent job.  The chemistry between the leads are amazing and the supporting cast is great.

I do not think I will be posting too much about this drama, I am just going to sit back and enjoy the show.  

• Like 8

Unfortunately I think it’s a put on. Monkey can almost certainly feel the change of the bracelet and can tell trickery if that is what Frosty  had in mind as he is the ultimate trickster. I think he told her what she wanted to hear because he really can’t stand her mad at him. He knows those words will bring her back to him. Now we know He really does love her on his own but that’s not something he can admit or even understand that he is capable of at the moment or want to at this point. So just telling her sincerely without the binding is not happening.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jeijei said:

Why is Michael K. Lee in this drama? :heart:

I'm still waiting for the odyssey part. 

I'm curious and thinking that  are they mean "odyssey" as it is,  literally as a long journey, travelling  .. or  might be just figuratively in spiritual and emotional way but still can have notable experiences, hardships etc. like rid of bad demons or save the world when the hell's gate open etc. 

Spoiler

(Odyssey definition: Ever since Homer's epic poem The Odyssey told the story of warrior Odysseus' ten-year journey home from Troy, odyssey has meant any epic journey. As with the word journey, odyssey has both a literal meaning and a figurative one.)

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, IliK said:

I'm curious and thinking that  are they mean "odyssey" as it is,  literally as a long journey, travelling  .. or  might be just figuratively in spiritual and emotional way but still can have notable experiences, hardships etc. like rid of bad demons or save the world when the hell's gate open etc. 

Hide contents

(Odyssey definition: Ever since Homer's epic poem The Odyssey told the story of warrior Odysseus' ten-year journey home from Troy, odyssey has meant any epic journey. As with the word journey, odyssey has both a literal meaning and a figurative one.)

I would add that The Odyssey by Homer is a work about returning home - Ulysses's journey is one that will bring him back to where he was from, to his home.

• Like 5

@IliK Since this is a reinterpretation of JttW, the scriptwriter might have settled with the figurative meaning, which is Oh Gong and Mawang's journey to get to heaven and Samjang's fate to save the world, which makes this drama not an actual epic but an action-fantasy love story that follows Korean drama archetypes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

The original novel Journey to the West is not about reaching heaven....

Spoiler

It has the pre-journey or background story of how a stone left over by Nv Wa, an ancient goddess when she mend a broken sky. The stone after absorbing yrs of sun and moonlight and whatever spiritual energy in the surrounding became alive as a monkey. In essence i think he is more of a demon...or yao. Then story continue with him learning magic, achieve immortal life, acquiring his magic pole etc. 

The gods in heaven wanted to have some control over him so that they gave him a post on heaven. But he still created troubles and later battled with them. 

Actually none can win over him...i doubt Er Lang God can win without the sneak attack from another powerful god who threw a magic brick at the Monkey God. Later they were unable to execute him physically due to his immortal body. Cut story short again...Buddha came and trapped him under his palm which had turned into a mountain with a talisman on it.

Then the story turn to the monk. In short during the tang dynasty they feel the current buddhism is lacking....so they need the true scriptures from India, thus to the West. It is kept in a temple where Buddha resides. The monk San zhang volunteered and went...and along the way, he would meet 3 disciples (and a dragon changed to horse) one by one. One more thing is the monk actually is reincarnation of a disciple of Buddha who was punished for something. So his flesh and blood is precious b'cos of his past cultivation.

Actually the journey to bring back the scriptures are planned by Buddha and Goddess of Mercy...so they did pre-arrange some stuff so that the journey will start and also how the disciples are picked up. Also they dont allow flying to the west bcos the scriptures are to be obtained with effort and many trials to be worthy of bringing back to china. Thus the demons, the seductions etc.

The bull demon was initially the monkey god's buddy when he still ruled his own kingdom of monkeys. Later then became enemies during the journey.

In the end it is a journey to the West and BACK...then after they passed the scriptures to the Tang emperor, they flew back (lucky no walking again) to the Buddha's temple and got promoted to various buddhist titles.

So the world is in no danger of being destroyed or in need of saving but perhaps the true scriptures from India help to improve buddhism in china. 

And the novel is also loosely based on a real historical journey by this monk...without the demons i guess.

In short this drama is very loosely based on the novel...mostly the use of character names, some relationships btw the disciples, btw the enemies etc. But the scriptures and journey parts completely are changed to something else.

Spoiler

Some in a chinese forum speculated this...remember they said somone will become a tribute to block or close the gates of hell? It might not be life...neither of the 2 leads'....but their love....it is much more precious...the love btw an immortal and a human. Of course viewers would send "knives" to the scriptwriters if that happened...haha.

Look like the war zone she saw...attack from the north? Could it be related to an unsuitable president-to-be?

And one last guess...does the zombie girl correspond to a char in the original novel? White bone demoness...since sometimes she broke her joints?

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 6

About the attack, I am getting the danger is Japan based? If it is linked to the little girl ghost and how her family were Japanese sympathizers and now they have someone from their family  (the  one who rang the Bosirak bell)may become the president.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi this is the first time I am in this forum. This drama got quite an interesting plot and kinda got me hooked. I like travelling in Korea, and like to go to places where K dramas were filmed. Some of the scenes in this drama looks quite interesting, so I did some search on them. Sharing them here, just in case you are interested in them too. I'll probably update more on my FB page if I find them later.

https://www.facebook.com/korea.travel.art/photos/a.1418927734845734.1073741848.1006089646129547/1776351999103304/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/korea.travel.art/photos/a.1418927734845734.1073741848.1006089646129547/1778087962263041/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/korea.travel.art/photos/a.1418927734845734.1073741848.1006089646129547/1789079357830568/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/korea.travel.art/photos/a.1418927734845734.1073741848.1006089646129547/1801263199945517/?type=3&theater

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Watch: Lee Seung Gi And Cha Seung Won Brainstorm Creative Ideas For Back Hug In “Hwayugi”

Cha-Seung-Won-Lee-Seung-Gi.jpg

In the beginning of the clip, Lee Seung Gi and Cha Seung Won are filming an argument scene at the dinner table. Both their lines are dripping with sarcasm, and they make humorous expressions and gestures to better deliver their dialogues. Eventually, they make the cast and crew laugh at their funny chemistry.

The next scene that the actors filmed was the one where Lee El attempts to stab Oh Yeon Seo but is stopped by both Lee Seung Gi and Cha Seung Won. Cha Seung Won tells Lee El to stab him harder with the prop knife in order to make it seem more realistic. When she does, he compliments her and tells her that she’s doing a good job.

Last but not least, Lee Seung Gi and Cha Seung Won film the elevator scene where Lee Seung Gi knocks Cha Seung Won unconscious, and Cha Seung Won collapses against him. The two of them conjure up different ideas to make the scene both amusing and impacting. After they film the scene, they check the monitor and can’t help but laugh at themselves.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/01/17/watch-lee-seung-gi-cha-seung-won-brainstorm-creative-ideas-back-hug-hwayugi/

3 Couples Of “Hwayugi” That Tug On Our Heartstrings

Hwayugi3.jpg

Interest for tvN’s weekend drama “Hwayugi” is increasing every episode, thanks to the three different couples who are unique in their own ways yet equally causes our hearts to flutter in excitement and anticipation.

Sweet Couple: Lee Seung Gi and Oh Yeon Seo

Despite their constant bickering, Son Oh Gong (Lee Seung Gi) and Jin Sun Mi (Oh Yeon Seo) are labeled as the sweet couple, due to their heart-racing lines and irresistible attraction to each other. During their first meeting 25 years ago, he made a contract with her that promised he would show up and protect her whenever she calls his name. The sly immortal ran away from the deal by stealing her memory of his name, but karma got him back with the magical bracelet (Geum Gang Go), and now he’s acting like a lovesick fool who’s head over heels for her. Their sweet moments yet sad reality have gardened much attention from the viewers.

Affectionate Couple: Cha Seung Won and Kim Ji Soo

In the previous episode, the heartbreaking love story of Woo Ma Wang (Cha Seung Won) and Na Chal Nyeo (Kim Ji Soo) was introduced. Every time Na Chal Nyeo is reborn, she encounters a miserable death. In order to save her, Woo Ma Wang must become a diety, and to do that, he protects Jin Sun Mi from being eaten by other spirits (and Son Oh Gong himself) and uses her skills of capturing evil spirits to elevate his status. As the story progresses, the viewers wonder if Woo Ma Wang will be able to save his loved one in the end.

Cute Couple: Lee Hong Ki and Lee Se Young

This unique couple consists of a pig monster P.K (Lee Hong Ki) and a naive zombie Jin Bu Ja (Lee Se Young). P.K always does whatever he can to help Jin Bu Ja, whether it’s getting her memories back or protecting her from the harsh words of Son Oh Gong. After finding out that Jin Bu Ja will no longer exist if Jin Sun Mi dies, he prevents Jin Sun Mi from being killed by other spirits. Their cute and innocent relationship never fails to bring a smile on viewers’ faces.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/01/17/3-couples-hwayugi-tug-heartstrings/

• Like 10