[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

The Son Oh Gong who arrives to meet Seon Mi is full of hope and for once openly happy about being with her and that she is alive. It’s as if he were finally ready to start accepting his feelings. When he told her in the cinema that he would give her all the things she liked and then, after listing them and a short pause, he added himself to the list, as well, it was his way of confessing or to be more precise, his way of admiting that he would give this relationship a chance. After SM stuck up for him against Ma Wang, OG genuinely started to believe that he might belong to the things she likes. It made him momentarily forget about his revenge plans he had for Ma Wang which he was preparing from the beginning of the episode. 

jrnO6Pi.jpg

However, then everything goes down the drain because Seon Mi tells him she doesn’t want to like him, her reasons are pertinent and understandable, but that’s the worst thing she could have told him and probably also the worst moment to do it; just when he is floating so high on cloud nine only for him to come crashing down from it. There is this moment of initial confusion when Oh Gong is truly dumbfounded because he believes she does like him, but her words, not the bracelet, hurt him, genuinely - his heart, his hopes, his feelings and his pride. And that’s THE MOMENT WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE - OH GONG COMPLETELY SNAPS AND DECIDES TO SET HIS REVENGE PLAN IN MOTION - IT’S HER REJECTION THAT MAKES HIM  LASH OUT.

iINh5wg.jpg

At Ma Wang for putting him in this situation, at SM for making him go through this emotional torment that he starts to suspect might not be the work of GGG at all, and you also have to wonder whether a part of it isn’t the fact that Ma Wang left SM in the film to die.

And once again, we are left to wonder how much does GGG affect Oh Gong when he is able to do something that so clearly endangers Seon Mi’s life?

tumblr_p2tcwskeKo1s8t96qo8_540.png

• Like 10

2 hours ago, haymochi said:

True... as a fan of OYS, she is not the best in kissing scene

but what do i know. Her kissing scene with JH was quite good... and she did have kissing scene with Rain where she bit his tounge lol:D

OMG I love that "kissing" scene with Rain. It was so funny. :D I didn't watch her other dramas, but since this is on tvN, I hope they will show some passionate kiss (it's Lee Seung Gi after all) :tongue:. I love their first kiss though, that was a closed mouth kiss but they both puckered they lips instead of just standing there and kiss like mannequin. Look forward for today and tomorrow's episodes!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jinsunmi said:

I don't watch a lot of kdrama but apparently his fans are saying that he is one of the best kisser in kdramaland? i hope it's true lol

(i'm more worried for Oh Yeon Seo, she is not really great in those scenes)

seunggi is a good onscreen kisser . try watching kiss scenes of mgig , king2 hearts and you’r all surrounded and almost forgot the 4 minutes long forest kiss in gu family book. 

i thoughy oh yoes soe must be a great kisser since she is a great actress . i don’t think we need to worry . they have good chemistry and good rapport they will deliver a good steamy kiss

hi hwayugi soompiers!! before i got distracted with the kiss scenes i wanted post something else . now it’s NA. if oh gong was fakinga and tricking her he won’t kiss her and hug her like that.  can’t wait till 9pm kst 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 5

LOL. I love how everyone is using the bull statue as a coat and hat stand now. LOL. 

Cha Seung Won was so wonderfully cheesy in Episode 6... he cracked up me the whole time he was suffering side effects from the antidote. He must be having a ball playing Devil King... part ham part cool customer.

Oooh... ooh... oooh... a rival! Fee Fi Fo Fum... I smell jealousy around the corner. :wink:Bring it on, I say. 

This show I will say, plays with the whole notion of push-pull in a whole new dimension. :wink: I don't think there are too many things more frustrating on television than watching two people who obviously like each other, dancing around each other trying so hard not to like each other. It's great angst but there's no denying the frustration. I like how the romance is done mainly because it's clear to the outsider that SOG does have genuine feelings for SM but the so-called Great Sage, isn't much of a sage where the matters of the heart are concerned. I don't think the bracelet is what he thinks it is. He thinks of it as an imprisonment, and indentured labour because I suspect he is a free spirit that's never experienced love before. Contrast that with SM who really wants this... who is quite willing to give herself over to this experience (symbolized by the lock and keys) but is hesitant to place too much stock in the crumbs thrown her way because the other party's authenticity is in doubt. 

My theory is that while OG perceives the bracelet's effects as punitive,  it's true purpose is to instruct the wearer in what it means to love in an all-encompassing manner. To be willing to limit oneself for one's beloved, to sacrifice, to suffer and to want the best for the one loved. For me, the bracelet opened up a whole new avenue of experience that was previously closed off to him. This makes sense because OG is genuinely confused about how much he wants to be free of the bracelet. There's a part of him that's spiteful and rude when he spews off about being prisoner while there's another part that doesn't mind being tethered to her. Everyone seems fixated with the power of the bracelet to the point that they're missing what is plain to the audience that is privy to all of OG's and SM's doings. Even the doofus secretary that works for SM... the most normal regular in this show... can see it... that these two care about each other in spite of the bracelet. 

OG had opportunities to break free but he didn't so perhaps unbeknownst to him, he is changing his mind not because he's being controlled like a puppet as he thinks but he's being directed to be less consumed with his own needs and wants bit by bit to be by her side. SM thinks he's only sincere when he's being mean spirited. But what if the opposite is true? What if the meanness is the facade and when he's saving her, protecting her... that's when he's truest to himself.

I imagine that this drama is a journey of discovery for Monkey... to find out what it means to be human... an odyssey that takes him out of his comfort zone and into the chaotic throes of loving another person.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, briseis said:

The Son Oh Gong who arrives to meet Seon Mi is full of hope and for once openly happy about being with her and that she is alive. It’s as if he were finally ready to start accepting his feelings. When he told her in the cinema that he would give her all the things she liked and then, after listing them and a short pause, he added himself to the list, as well, it was his way of confessing or to be more precise, his way of admiting that he would give this relationship a chance. After SM stuck up for him against Ma Wang, OG genuinely started to believe that he might belong to the things she likes. It made him momentarily forget about his revenge plans he had for Ma Wang which he was preparing from the beginning of the episode. 

However, then everything goes down the drain because Seon Mi tells him she doesn’t want to like him, her reasons are pertinent and understandable, but that’s the worst thing she could have told him and probably also the worst moment to do it; just when he is floating so high on cloud nine only for him to come crashing down from it. There is this moment of initial confusion when Oh Gong is truly dumbfounded because he believes she does like him, but her words, not the bracelet, hurt him, genuinely - his heart, his hopes, his feelings and his pride. And that’s THE MOMENT WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE - OH GONG COMPLETELY SNAPS AND DECIDES TO SET HIS REVENGE PLAN IN MOTION - IT’S HER REJECTION THAT MAKES HIM  LASH OUT.

At Ma Wang for putting him in this situation, at SM for making him go through this emotional torment that he starts to suspect might not be the work of GGG at all, and you also have to wonder whether a part of it isn’t the fact that Ma Wang left SM in the film to die.

And once again, we are left to wonder how much does GGG affect Oh Gong when he is able to do something that so clearly endangers Seon Mi’s life?

Wow! Your analysis about OG acting based on his OWN feelings and not on GGG makes alot of sense to me and helped me appreciate the following scenes better....

SM didn't call him to save her from the film, OG went in to save her on his own accord. I can now appreciate that sign of relief he gave when SM woke up at the cinema... It's like he didn't know if what he did would work and it worked! 

When he saved her from MW and brought her to sureumdong, he said mean words to her because he remembered her request that she doesn't want to fall for him. But he still wants to care for her without her falling for him. 

When they were at Namsan, he said sweet is sweet and like is like...  It meant he knows that there are facts that GGG does not erase... That's why he is extremely careful with what he does...he knows if she really liked him, it will stay forever.... 

Now i can even appreciate the scene he had with General Frost before we went to Namsam on his own. He told GF that how can anyone be sincere with that bracelet.. That means he find that the bracelet makes all real feelings fake! 

Thanks for your sharing... U made my Saturdays awesome...looking forward to tonight's episode. 

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

OG had opportunities to break free but he didn't so perhaps unbeknownst to him, he is changing his mind not because he's being controlled like a puppet as he thinks but he's being directed to be less consumed with his own needs and wants bit by bit to be by her side. SM thinks he's only sincere when he's being mean spirited. But what if the opposite is true? What if the meanness is the facade and when he's saving her, protecting her... that's when he's truest to himself.

I imagine that this drama is a journey of discovery for Monkey... to find out what it means to be human... an odyssey that takes him out of his comfort zone and into the chaotic throes of loving another person.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your thoughts...  It has added meaning to my appreciation for this drama...

You know this drama challenges our assumptions abt alot of things...  The so called demons are more human than us humans! 

The emphasis we placed on words spoken rather than actions. Like what you shared the meanest words is actually opposite to what he does...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lee Seung Gi And Oh Yeon Seo Share Romantic Kiss In “Hwayugi”

Lee-Seung-Gi-Oh-Yeon-Seo31.jpg

“Hwayugi” is a romantic fantasy drama based on the Chinese classic novel “Journey to the West.” In the drama, Lee Seung Gi plays the role of a troublemaker demon Son Oh Gong, while Oh Yeon Seo plays Jin Sun Mi, a human who can see evil spirits and demons.

The newly released stills show Son Oh Gong and Jin Sun Mi sharing a romantic kiss. In the pictures, Son Oh Gong holds Jin Sun Mi’s face in his hands and leans in for a kiss as Jin Sun Mi quietly closes her eyes. He looks down at her with his eyes full of affection before kissing her, his hands still wrapped around her neck. The romantic mood is highlighted by their background as they are standing on stairs decorated with red roses.

read more https://www.soompi.com/2018/01/19/lee-seung-gi-oh-yeon-seo-share-romantic-kiss-hwayugi/

Lee Hong Ki Is A Focused Actor Behind The Scenes Of “Hwayugi”

Lee-Hong-Ki-1.jpg

On January 20, FNC Entertainment released new behind-the-scenes photos of FTISLAND’s Lee Hong Ki from the set of tvN’s “Hwayugi.”

The released images show a focused Lee Hong Ki rehearsing with his script everywhere, regardless of location. He does not care about the chaotic surroundings, and focuses completely on his script so he can perfect his acting. It was revealed Lee Hong Ki also carefully monitors his scenes after shooting to ensure a high quality performance, demonstrating his great passion.

A source from FNC Entertainment shared, “Lee Hong Ki doesn’t let go of his script on set. He practices his acting with his script any time he has a free moment. When he rehearses his script by himself, he puts in all his sincerity like he is filming for real.”

More https://www.soompi.com/2018/01/19/lee-hong-ki-focused-actor-behind-scenes-hwayugi/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Lee Seung Gi Has A New Rival In “Hwayugi” Love Triangle

Lee-Seung-Gi-Oh-Yeon-Seo-Michael-Lee.jpg

The love triangle on tvN’s “Hwayugi” kicks into gear as Lee Seung Gi’s rival appears on the scene!

In the upcoming episode of “Hwayugi,” Son Oh Gong (played by Lee Seung Gi) will face a new threat in his budding romance with Jin Sun Mi (played by Oh Yeon Seo).

The latest episode of the drama introduced the character of Jonathan (played by Michael Lee), a filmmaker who is unable to forget the mysterious girl he encountered when he was young. Although Jonathan has not seen Jin Sun Mi since their fateful encounter when they were children, she becomes the inspiration for his new film.

Michael-Lee.jpg

During last week’s episode, Jonathan met with Woo Ma Wang (played by Cha Seung Won), who happened to be financing his film. While describing the premise, Jonathan showed him a sketch of the girl upon whom he based the story, referring to her as his “first love.” Woo Ma Wang immediately recognized the girl as Jin Sun Mi, particularly because Jonathan had mentioned her trademark umbrella.

more https://www.soompi.com/2018/01/20/lee-seung-gi-new-rival-hwayugi-love-triangle/

• Like 7

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching??

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

LollyPip

• Hwayugi: It was a Hong sisters drama that got me addicted to Korean dramas years ago, and I’ve seen nearly all of them since then. I’ve been waiting four years for one that gives me that “OMG this is the most fun I’ve had in ever” feeling again. Hwayugi is delivering that feeling big-time for me—it’s been so long since I had a good belly laugh at such iconic clever dramaland in-jokes, tongue-in-cheek meta references, and just plain silly humor. Not to mention that the show is nearly perfectly cast, because I can’t imagine anyone else playing Oh-gong, Mawang, or even PK. The Hong sisters are back and so far, better than ever!

dramallama

• Hwayugi: After an unfortunate first week, this show has picked up momentum with its cheeky characters and story. This writing feels like the Hong sisters on their better days, and I’m really amused by the execution of these over-the-top characters with literal god complexes. Lee Seung-gi fluidly plays the likable character and his irritable love for Sun-mi makes me chuckle. He loves her but he’s sooo mad about it, and I’m looking forward to how these enraging fake feelings change into real emotions. On the contrary, Sun-mi’s character seems dull in comparison to the rest of the cast, so I hope her mission to save the world pushes her to become the epic character that the show claims she is.

---cr---

New OST Part 4

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

LOL. I love how everyone is using the bull statue as a coat and hat stand now. LOL. 

Cha Seung Won was so wonderfully cheesy in Episode 6... he cracked up me the whole time he was suffering side effects from the antidote. He must be having a ball playing Devil King... part ham part cool customer.

Oooh... ooh... oooh... a rival! Fee Fi Fo Fum... I smell jealousy around the corner. :wink:Bring it on, I say. 

This show I will say, plays with the whole notion of push-pull in a whole new dimension. :wink: I don't think there are too many things more frustrating on television than watching two people who obviously like each other, dancing around each other trying so hard not to like each other. It's great angst but there's no denying the frustration. I like how the romance is done mainly because it's clear to the outsider that SOG does have genuine feelings for SM but the so-called Great Sage, isn't much of a sage where the matters of the heart are concerned. I don't think the bracelet is what he thinks it is. He thinks of it as an imprisonment, and indentured labour because I suspect he is a free spirit that's never experienced love before. Contrast that with SM who really wants this... who is quite willing to give herself over to this experience (symbolized by the lock and keys) but is hesitant to place too much stock in the crumbs thrown her way because the other party's authenticity is in doubt. 

My theory is that while OG perceives the bracelet's effects as punitive,  it's true purpose is to instruct the wearer in what it means to love in an all-encompassing manner. To be willing to limit oneself for one's beloved, to sacrifice, to suffer and to want the best for the one loved. For me, the bracelet opened up a whole new avenue of experience that was previously closed off to him. This makes sense because OG is genuinely confused about how much he wants to be free of the bracelet. There's a part of him that's spiteful and rude when he spews off about being prisoner while there's another part that doesn't mind being tethered to her. Everyone seems fixated with the power of the bracelet to the point that they're missing what is plain to the audience that is privy to all of OG's and SM's doings. Even the doofus secretary that works for SM... the most normal regular in this show... can see it... that these two care about each other in spite of the bracelet. 

Just my 2 cents.

i love your post and not it occurs to me that bracelet have a bigger purpose . oh gong can’t be killed off even by heaven or locked away so they want to reform him because oh gong is mischeivous but he is not evil. for a promise for a heavenly promotion he lived sincerely as it’s possible for a monkey king collecting point dilligently . so heaven must have bigger hopes for him than just making him a slave for sunmi . 

as you said he’s a heavenly being who hates being locked up and never understood love or wanted to love someone . it’l be weird if he didn’t try to look for ways to get rid of of it . but he didn’t act on frosty’s plan to get rid of samjang using his power and mawang  by making the lamest of excuse not to do it . and he made mawang drink samjangs blood only to make mawang suffer for making fun of him and causing pain for both of them . he obviously knew there are detoxes for it and he must have enough faith in mawang that he won’t really eat her  . oh gong is a main player in mawangs wife’s tragedy so he obviously knows how desperately mawang wants to be a god to save he knew samjang is safe . 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Anna Tan said:

Thanks for your thoughts...  It has added meaning to my appreciation for this drama...

You know this drama challenges our assumptions abt alot of things...  The so called demons are more human than us humans! 

It's interesting you should say that because I was thinking that when the show first started everyone seemed so caught up in their own personal agendas and self-interest but as the show's progressed, we're being shown another side to the "monsters". It's sweet the way people are trying to help Richie regain her memory and help her navigate living deadness. PK even set aside his own desire for a piece of Samjung so that Richie can get a bit more time. Even Secretary Ma... whose extreme actions seem almost understandable as a loyal lackey for the Demon King. And the Demon King despite that complacent demeanour does have a heart and someone he cares enough about to set aside his urges.

I honestly cannot praise Lee Seung Gi enough for the way he deals with the complexities of SOG's predicament and state of mind. I'd almost forgotten that I'd first seen him in K2H... goodness me... was it that long ago? When he turns on that burning intensity for the camera, the screen is loaded with so much sexual tension and undercurrents. In those instances it's hard to believe that for SOG, he's slavishly following the dictates of a gold band around his wrist.

By the way, I also wanted to say how much I love OYS's wardrobe particularly that lovely trench coat she wore in Episode 6. I'm coveting it... not that I don't have enough of my own already. :D

• Like 3