Add and Subtract Game

Admin

19 minutes ago, corey said:

I have a lot to say about TMWYS. My biggest complain is the thorough waste of a potentially great character like Oh Hyun Jae. JH was absolutely at his best in the first 8-9 episodes. I was holding my breath while watching it. Roumor has it that it was him that contributed so much to this drama - and the idea that OHJ was in wheelchair as a part of his disguide actually originated from JH! That scene when Cha Soo Young enters the disfunct cement factory guided by OHJ is IMHO one of the best scenes I have ever seen in a K-Drama.... It was all going so well... and then as if the writer gave up? ran out of ideas? Went to work on another project? IDK. From ep 9 onward it was just incompetent cops running around. We never got to know who OHJ was - we just know that he wanted revenge for In Soo - and we got one! yes! one flashback scene between OHJ and In Soo. SO OHJ did not feel human to me.

That is in short why I think TMWYS is good only  because it had JH in it....

I agree that the plot went off track from 9-10th episode mark, which is the usual point from where dramas start going downhill after a good first half. Jang Hyuk is quite experienced and I am sure that experienced actors do suggest some changes in the script which sometimes is proved to be a good one. 

The scene where he instructs Cha Soo Young enter the factory was actually really good and I do agree with you on it. Also him not feeling much human to you was also same with me, but kind of lesser maybe. I liked his character but somehow as you said the writer must have run out of ideas here. 

@pompyavi I think you had asked about the Kdramas not having auditions, right? I don't think they do it when they want top actors for it. I think the talent agencies have a big role in getting the roles for the rookie actors or idols too who may need to appear in auditions for it, but as far as I know for movies they do some auditions for certain roles if needed (that too for the new ones). 

+2

• Like 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

17 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I think you had asked about the Kdramas not having auditions, right? I don't think they do it when they want top actors for it. I think the talent agencies have a big role in getting the roles for the rookie actors or idols too who may need to appear in auditions for it, but as far as I know for movies they do some auditions for certain roles if needed (that too for the new ones). 

As far as I know kdramas usually don't do auditions. They may do it for the rookie actors but not for actors who have already been casted as lead once. For movies also the situation is same. This is the reason I feel there are some miscasts sometime. Usually they should audition everyone to see that the character can be handled by the particular actor. I feel western series are good in this matter. Their plot may become draggy after some seasons but you won't complain about acting though.

Also there are directors/screenwriters willing to go for one particular actor. Like Bong Joon Ho movies have to have Song Kang Ho.

+2

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, partyon said:

That's when I wanted to drop the drama too :D But I was "forced" to continue watching it. :D

Ohhh Cmon!!! All the songs in HP were good. The first band performance where the girl sings poorly is just for a comic effect....I can't believe I'm explaining this. Ok I get that shin lee's sense of humor is not for everyone. Meh. 

But how can anyone not enjoy a performance like this? 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 2

Just now, pompyavi said:

Jo Jung Suk is a good singer. Also Jeon Mido. I love her from Werther. 

+2

Finally someone who agrees with me in this thread!!! Yes my friend, not only JJS and JMD, we also have the multitalented YYS in this show!!!! His honey like voice is so mesmerizing!!!!

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 2

20 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

As far as I know kdramas usually don't do auditions. They may do it for the rookie actors but not for actors who have already been casted as lead once. For movies also the situation is same.

I think they make auditions and even onscreen chemistry testing. Maybe they don`t do with the veteran actors but the casting takes time. They even think of a few actors for the same role and they take time to decide sometimes. Other times the PD or witer have already a certain actor for the role. 

I did not think that the dramas failed on casting departement the most. The story lacks in the first place. JMO.

6 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Finally someone who agrees with me in this thread!!! Yes my friend, not only JJS and JMD, we also have the multitalented YYS in this show!!!! His honey like voice is so mesmerizing!!!!

All the actors in the band have good voices. I really like that they are in a band. Hanging out as friends, having  dinner/eating together and singing in the band was what I was looking forward the most in this drama.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 3

11 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

As far as I know kdramas usually don't do auditions. They may do it for the rookie actors but not for actors who have already been casted as lead once. For movies also the situation is same. This is the reason I feel there are some miscasts sometime. Usually they should audition everyone to see that the character can be handled by the particular actor. I feel western series are good in this matter. Their plot may become draggy after some seasons but you won't complain about acting though.

Also there are directors/screenwriters willing to go for one particular actor. Like Bong Joon Ho movies have to have Song Kang Ho.

I don't think any already established actor will appear for auditions in dramas in Korea if they did one. One of the main reasons for it also that the dramas are short. They are not long term projects which would make them want to act in it and make them appear in auditions, like it did for GOT or The Wicther or any other projects in Western Series.

Miscasts sometimes I think happen due to conflicts between the writer and the production team or which ever team is responsible for casting. Sometimes the writer writes a certain script with a certain actor in mind for a specific role, but the show runners sometimes want it to be a more famous one or sometimes an idol in order to get more money with the commercial items and more rating. 

Plus as I said I seriously think the talent agencies play a big role in getting the roles for the rookie actors or idols and that too in main roles which sometimes drops the quality of drama. 

+2

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 3

5 minutes ago, larus said:

All the actors in the band have good voices. I really like that they are in a band. Hanging out as friends, having  dinner/eating together and singing in the band was what I was looking forward the most in this drama.

+2

Ikr?!?! When I turn 40, all I need is to hang out with my friends whom I have known for all my life. How many people get such a opportunity to be with the same gang of friends they went to college with? Very rare we keep in touch with our school/college friends. The camaraderie between the friends is what made my heart so soft and its also why I still talk about this show greatly everywhere. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 2

19 minutes ago, larus said:

I think they make auditions and even onscreen chemistry testing. Maybe they don`t do with the veteran actors but the casting takes time. They even think of a few actors for the same role and they take time to decide sometimes. Other times the PD or witer have already a certain actor for the role. 

I did not think that the dramas failed on casting departement the most. The story lacks in the first place. JMO.

+2

Yes they do have several actors in mind and most of the times writers develop a character keeping an actor/actress in mind. But the main thing is audition is really not taken for everyone. Whether in western series as well they take audition for the lead roles. The A list actors like Leonardo, Tom Hanks and many others are offered because they have proved themselves. Like in Life casting LDW as Ye Jin Woo was a terrible mistake. The casting of CMS as Woo Tae Ha in stranger 2 was also not correct imo. He wasn't that bad but his dialogue delivery was weak compared to others. I don't have any issues with veteran actors being offered the script. But they should seriously consider if a character fits a particular actor. Especially where a character demands subtle acting.

+2

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 4

11 minutes ago, Sejabin said:

wOw. Pastor oppa voice is good enough, @kokodus. No wonder my friend Dinni is crazy in love to him lol. Btw is that his original voice? 

Pastor oppa also does musical. Actually almost all the cast of HP are musical actors. So no doubt they can sing as well.

:approves:

+2

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 5

31 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

Yes they do have several actors in mind and most of the times writers develop a character keeping an actor/actress in mind. But the main thing is audition is really not taken for everyone. Whether in western series as well they take audition for the lead roles. The A list actors like Leonardo, Tom Hanks and many others are offered because they have proved themselves. Like in Life casting LDW as Ye Jin Woo was a terrible mistake. The casting of CMS as Woo Tae Ha in stranger 2 was also not correct imo. He wasn't that bad but his dialogue delivery was weak compared to others. I don't have any issues with veteran actors being offered the script. But they should seriously consider if a character fits a particular actor. Especially where a character demands subtle acting.

I don't really know much about the Western Dramas, but the auditions for main roles also are for those who less established in the field. All the main leads in GOT were rather less established and quite young when the auditions happened for it. Plus those experienced went for it because they really wanted to act in a master piece like that some of them having read the books. 

But can you expect a Kdrama make the actors want to act in it so much that they appear in the auditions for it? I don't think so. No matter how good a drama be, it is usually 16-24 episodes long or sometimes longer in some cases. 

I do agree with @larus here that more than miscasting, the bad writing makes a drama worse and that seems to be the major problem in Kdramas, more than the miscasting. 

+2

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 5

4 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I do agree with @larus here that more than miscasting, the bad writing makes a drama worse and that seems to be the major problem in Kdramas, more than the miscasting. 

@Sleepy Owl   I totally agree with you here .. the writings!    Is there an emoji here .. close to "agree" instead of like --> which one to select?  the one at bottom of post please.

and ... from what I read, I should not watch Start Up?

Hi @Ernie  :waves:

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 4