[Drama 2021] Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha ☀️ 갯마을 차차차

Maetawinz

Also this episode again had EVERYTHING:

• hilarious: all the scenes of Du Shik and SML + when he rejected her assumption he ~likes her, the way he was disappointed she didn't pay for his lunch (crestfallen, he was). The tooth dance! The villagers! The "morning after"
  • swoonworthy: grandmother photo session, rain play (hello, Lovestruck!) + HER GOING FOR IT: THE KISS!
  • heartbreaking: when landlady was forced to witness her exhusband's obvious crush on the teacher, the way she regarded her son - asking him not to grow up so soon (and have heartbreaks) + Du Sik's nightmare and the fact he went to psychiatrist. 

It is revealed he has dark past, 5 years where he was "missing in action" in Gongjin. And the nosy town villagers have no idea where Du Shik was, or what he did. He probably deflected them with an easy smile that covers up his nightmares of the past. 

Which is why I AM IN LOVE with

E_AhiLAVgAgywkW?format=jpg&name=large[all the time he gazes at her this way, without her or anyone noticing. I'm in LOVE] 

He wakes up from a nightmare, and smiles in realisation to see Hye Jin laying next to him... ~ woooow

The fact he denied the kiss - as she asked. Daaaaaamn. Now she's reeled in, because she wonders why he wouldn't "take advantage" of the kiss - because she's ~too good for Gongjin (and Du Shik). 

He probably likes her, but he has demons of the past to fight - so he denies his feelings, and only smiles at her like that when she (and the rest of the town) doesn't see it. In public, he acts like she is just some neighbour. 

Let the mysteries be unravelled.... 

• Like 15
  • Love 4

Hello everyone ^^

want to share my thoughts after watching ep.5 

- I do not find it funny for the part of nosy villagers gossiping and acting like stalkers to the two. It's very rude.

- Poor the land lady. It seems she still loves him. She just can't control her reactions at all. It's kinda frustrating to see. How I wish she can act cool in front of her ex-husband and move on. 

- Isn't it weird that the teacher invited both the man (whom she knows he fallen in love with her) and his ex-wife to have dinner together? 

- I love the rain scene!! very sweet!! Aww and the flashback on that night! :wub:

- And girl! you're so embarrassed for talking about social class to him but still asked him to solve math questions. that scene is hilarious though.

• Like 10

I love this couple so much; they are so stinking CUTE!!!

This drama is better than I thought it would be - the cinematography, the writing, the fun characters, and the story are all so engaging and beautiful to watch. The seaside setting is gorgeous.

For a girl who takes life so seriously, Hye-jin is an entertaining drunk, and the montage of her being carefree is hilarious! Especially when she's on the exercise machine and the camera cuts to a wide shot. She has perfect form :D. And the next morning, DS tells her, "I felt like I was watching a TV show." HA!

It's nice to see them putting in some social commentary as well, with her thinking that because of their social positions they wouldn't be a good fit. (She'd already thought about them dating I see.) She got some pushback from her friend Mi-seon, telling her that she shouldn't weigh life and love like that. The drama has been framed as a "city girl vs fishing-village boy" story, but it's interesting to see the added layers of wealth and education. HJ was annoyed with DS for not using his engineering degree - she obviously valued using her dentistry degree and didn't understand why he wouldn't pursue an engineering career after having studied engineering. These personal values coming through their thinking lend more insight into their characters.

I re-watched Episode 1 and these lines stuck out to me as the show was setting up the characters:

1. After HJ quits her Seoul dental clinic, Mi-seon asks her, "And what has your motto been for the last 20 years?" Hye-jin answers, "Don't be nosy and focus on myself." Interesting that in Gongjin, the locals' one complaint about Du-sik is that he's nosy. And when HJ moves to town, she slowly becomes more interested in the townspeople's back stories and lives. Even in today's episode she asked DS about his studies and why he lives the way he does.

2. In episode 1, DS helps out at the coffee shop. The coffee shop owner asks him, "Why are you smiling?" And DS says, "I'm always smiling." Which at first seemed true, but by now we know that he's haunted by some quite serious matters and is not always smiling :( .

All that to say I like how they're developing their characters from the first set-up.

Some lovely shots from this episode (taken from Netflix on Kisasian):

Love these halmeonis:

spacer.png

Don't know whether to love these town gossip sessions or to stay away :wacko::lol:

spacer.png

"Can I see yours? I'll let you hold mine." LOL.

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

5 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

2. In episode 1, DS helps out at the coffee shop. The coffee shop owner asks him, "Why are you smiling?" And DS says, "I'm always smiling." Which at first seemed true, but by now we know that he's haunted by some quite serious matters and is not always smiling :( .

Du Shik is always smiling brightly. At villagers, grandmas, his friends. Notice how he's the first one to laugh out loud and joke and have good mood? He smiles wide and happily - but now with this background, I think he smiles bright because he knows the dark side of life that haunts him.

He showers people with affection, perhaps to enjoy every day, as he knows bad things he struggles with, and also to deflect the villagers attention towards his smile (so they don't notice things like his 5 missing years)

E_AUyfrVUAMw8rY?format=jpg&name=900x900

But his friend was asking why he smiled - it was a different kind of smile. Not bright/showing teeth, but subtle contentness, especially when he thinks about our female.

E-2ZlmeVUAQFVzt?format=jpg&name=large

It's different smile, almost subconscious.

• Like 6
  • Love 4

Without being spoilerish.EP 5 Review

Do Sik is giving Hye Jin mixed signals without intending to do so.Her asking him not to is good for her health IMO.

I found the kids a bit out of line especially when the blonde girl went ahead and was legitmately making a mockery out of the Lady who helped her. Kids learn from their parents but I don't think any parent allows any kid to talk like the way she did or EVEN a teacher would. OUT OF LINE.

Do Sik's bickering with the SML whose personality is yet to be revealed <uptil now its like 10x times weaker than DS, unless he argues about food quality lol>.The first SML I have seen so much weaker than the MALE lead that too in a kdrama. NOVEL LOl.

Do Sik's trauma revelation...waiting...

How cute is The Policeman and HJ friend hahaha. Want to see their interactions more.

• Like 8

I am quite taken aback at how well-executed this drama is. I just needed to watch something light after DP and I started this show without expectations. Boy, am I glad I did. Slow paced dramas are not my cup of tea. Unexpectedly enough, I actually find that the slow pace of this show is one of its biggest assets. I feel like I am also a new resident in this town and I am also gradually getting to know my neighbours. It also manages to hit me in the gut with its life lessons albeit being presented in very subtle and poignant ways. Everything is presented with such attention to detail and nuanced imageries. There is nothing overt about the drama yet the lessons are able to immensely impact me. I love it! There's also nothing exciting about the trope, but the characters are so layered that I couldn't wait to slowly peel back the layers and find out more about them. This episode amped up the ante quite a bit on that front. Cannot wait to get to know the real Hyejin and Du Shik.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, nyk said:

- Isn't it weird that the teacher invited both the man (whom she knows he fallen in love with her) and his ex-wife to have dinner together? 

Maybe she does it on purpose, she is jealous of the ex wife and she wants to hurt her

• Like 3

5 hours ago, agenth said:

Also loved the way Du Shik and SML are introduced. Du Shik saves him LOL. Then leads him around as SML is pretty clueless about navigating. Du shik finds a person EVEN MORE HAPPIER GO LUCKY than he is. Du Shik suddenly looks grumpy in comparison to SML. HILARIOUS. 

YES! So funny how DS was the grumpy bat to the SML's eager, friendly visitor. Until they started talking about raw fish LOL.

2 hours ago, nyk said:

Isn't it weird that the teacher invited both the man (whom she knows he fallen in love with her) and his ex-wife to have dinner together? 

I hear you! It was a bit weird at first, but then I realized she was the mature one, trying to build connections and enter into the neighborhood, and not further divide the ex-husband and ex-wife. Last week, I thought her character was a just a necessary trope coming into the show, but her strength today impressed me.

2 hours ago, agenth said:

Du Shik is always smiling brightly. At villagers, grandmas, his friends. Notice how he's the first one to laugh out loud and joke and have good mood? He smiles wide and happily - but now with this background, I think he smiles bright because he knows the dark side of life that haunts him.

He showers people with affection, perhaps to enjoy every day, as he knows bad things he struggles with, and also to deflect the villagers attention towards his smile (so they don't notice things like his 5 missing years)

I think you're absolutely correct. In fact, the show takes pains each episode to show him walking around and smiling at everyone. He seems so laid-back, yet now we know that he's struggling with something from his past. Makes me sad that he doesn't seem to have anyone IN the village to talk to, regularly, about the deeper scars. Unless he talks to Gam-ri halmeoni sometimes? 

I wonder if he likes to keep himself busy, too, so he doesn't have to think about things during the day. We don't see him actually hanging out with many people (if he's with others, usually it's in a work context. Otherwise he's surfing alone on his days off.) But now with HJ, they actually hang out together.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

This drama literally has everything we want in a kdrama! and one of those things are indeed the life lessons every episodes that may sound simple ,but many of us are actually already forgetting!

9a8d090c2b1038da1f4b75a17c5015d808d69ed7.gifv23ca4b33819ab815671506326738b9f07b9be101.gifv

efbacc24ee7c6cbc9cb05cc3587b0598b500127b.gifv

Spoiler

b4e7bb884448c231345e29c5913c27b4f8c64c08.gifv
f8174a2f7b726fb6aacab1abc457320d499ec2cf.gifv

You’re bound to meet unexpected situations in life. Even if you use an umbrella, you’ll end up getting drenched. Just put your hands up and welcome the rain. Come on, just play around with me. #kdramaedit

====

• Like 10

I finished episode 5 sometime back and I'm just trying to gather all my thoughts. First of all, I want to thank all of you who write your sincere opinions here. I find your comments so insightful and entertaining to read and I resonate with most of you. It's nice to find other people who think similarly. :))

My observation is how well written this show is. Not just the plot but all the dialogues are so thoughtfully crafted, the emotions so realistic. The characters or the dialogues don't seem over the top or out of place, like they do in so many other very well-known Kdramas. And it's not easy given that this show has so many other characters surrounding the leads, with their own storylines. I hate lazy writing and so many shows with good plots and actors have been ruined by lazy writing. The scene with the kids in the classroom felt a little odd but kids do have a way of repeating their parent's words and given that Gongjin is a small town, it is kind of a gossipy place so I'll forgive that one.

What I like about Du Sik is that while he points out her hypocrisy he doesn't judge her too harshly or tries to use this opportunity to teach her a lesson. He leaves her to her thoughts and ideas like he should. Thats the kind of male chivalry I like.

The police man's fantasy of women in Hanbok is so hilarious. We will have Mi Seon dressing up in a Hanbok in the future for sure. Really like the actress who plays the nurse, she doesn't overdo it and her expressions are spot on! 

Finally Hong Du Sik found someone who's even more happy go lucky than him. We discover his little quirks through this interaction, for instance how anal he is about how his seafood is cooked. Also the two men are both camera lovers, perhaps they'll bond over it later on.

This show also beats stereotypes when it doesn't try to pit one woman against the other for a man. Any other show would use the love triangle trope as comic relief. Hwajeong acknowledges that the other woman her ex-husband desires is actually kind to a fault. The other woman, who plays the teacher probably finds herself in an uncomfortable situation too and that is why she invites both the man & the woman for lunch, ignoring the man's invitation. I liked Hwajeong's little conversation with her son, her realisation that the other woman inquired about her health but her ex-husband did not. She finds herself in a pitiful situation but that's how life is. They both live in the same neighborhood, have the same social circle, as much as we want, she can't move on and act like he doesn't matter to her.

Hye Jin asking Do sik to solve maths equations to check his credentials was ridiculous but they both seemed to have fun. Them having fun in the rain was like balm to my eyes. I didn't think people wearing button down shirt and formal dress would look so good getting all drenched in the rain. The first kiss was a stunned dead fish kiss but this time it's the woman who made the first move.

I can understand why Do Sik pretended it didn't happen after Hye Jin told him what she thinks about his social class or class in general. I can also see her walls breaking down. I really like Hye Jin because she's normal, she's real. She's not a doormat or an ice queen. She's confident but also a bit shallow, she's a realist and like many of us, she thinks the benchmark of success is in material goods. But she's also quick to acknowledge if she makes a mistake. Hye Jin represents the real world, Do Sik is exotic, he's an enigma and they are both intrigued by each other.

Like everyone else, even I'm curious about Do Sik's past. My guess is he was in the military/is a war veteran and probably has PTSD.

The scene where the old women are appreciating flowers deserves to be mentioned. It doesn't add anything to the narrative but fits so well with the mood of the show. Warm and happy.

I realise I've written a rather long essay in my comment so I'll stop here.

• Like 10
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

This episode was so great but the preview of the next one got me worried. It seems that they will have a fight, I don't want to see them fighting...  :cry: I mean, I know it's too soon for them to become a couple but it'll hurt my heart to see them arguing with each other.

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

The restaurant ahjumma was really nice to allow Hye Jin and Doo Shik practically vandalise her table like that. 

Hye Jin is understandably tense as Doo Shik still keeps his feelings under wraps as well as being brusque with her. The beach scene was real pretty & cute though LoL. 

Her bestie with the police officer is cute too, although he's into proper & prim ladies ha-ha. While she's into bad boys. Gosh these 2.

Word spreads fast in Gongjin as Hye Jin does the walk of shame LMFAo. The way Gongjin folks weighed SikHye couple's pros and cons ha-ha. 

Doo Shik was a better dancer in that school presentation eheh. Who knew he had such flexible hips huh LoL?! Don't know why Hwa Jung is so hung up on her ex husband. They must've divorced for a reason. 

Hmm~looks like Hye Jin is the cure to Doo Shik's insomnia eh? As he slept soundly after seeing her lying next to him.. That next ep. preview though, what other misunderstanding could it be now I wonder? Will we ever find out who Doo Shik really is? 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Learry said:

Hong Dusik is really a perfect man. A man with good looks, intelligence, talent and personality

He is! If only there is such a man like him irl. :wub:

2 hours ago, refugeebluez said:

Like everyone else, even I'm curious about Do Sik's past. My guess is he was in the military/is a war veteran and probably has PTSD.

I agree with the PTSD, but I'm thinking more about maybe his parents got murdered..?

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Hmm~looks like Hye Jin is the cure to Doo Shik's insomnia eh? As he slept soundly after seeing her lying next to him.. That next ep. preview though, what other misunderstanding could it be now I wonder? Will we ever find out who Doo Shik really is?

I can't wait to find out what happens in the next episode later on today.

I am totally in love with this drama and I can't believe that it'll be episode 6 already. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, c Cinc said:

I am quite taken aback at how well-executed this drama is. I just needed to watch something light after DP and I started this show without expectations. Boy, am I glad I did. Slow paced dramas are not my cup of tea. Unexpectedly enough, I actually find that the slow pace of this show is one of its biggest assets. I feel like I am also a new resident in this town and I am also gradually getting to know my neighbours. It also manages to hit me in the gut with its life lessons albeit being presented in very subtle and poignant ways. Everything is presented with such attention to detail and nuanced imageries. There is nothing overt about the drama yet the lessons are able to immensely impact me. I love it! There's also nothing exciting about the trope, but the characters are so layered that I couldn't wait to slowly peel back the layers and find out more about them. This episode amped up the ante quite a bit on that front. Cannot wait to get to know the real Hyejin and Du Shik.

Well said. Beautiful review that had me wanting to pay more attention to the devil in the detail. I so loved the comedy of the elderly women I became a fan of the screen writer. Of course, the actresses are drama dames so they knew exactly how to be in the scene. 

• Like 5

Hiiiiii everyone!

FYI since I saw a comment that thought the neighbors were rude and being stalkers. In a small, tight knit village in Asia, everyone is just like the neighbors in Gongjin. They don’t do it to be stalkers or rude; it is how the social structure and characteristic of many Asian village society. In Asia, community and social relationships have always been super important. When I lived in my tiny village by the sea in Japan, the whole community knew if I had a visitor from outside the village or if something happened. It isn’t done out of malice or bad intentions. 

ep.5

Spoiler

Lol so funny from the start! I am cringing for HJ’s drunk antics. I am suddenly glad that I am a sleepy drunk lol. That whole scene foe hangover breakfast in the restaurant is great. The neighborhood gang snooping and trying to figure out chemistry type lol 

Ah the scene when HJ ask DS directly was sooo good and it’s scenes like this that I really like about this drama. What DS said was so true -‘don’t be so calculating’ and overthinking stuff with the self lens; people get so hung up on all these other things except what matters: sincerity and good intentions.

heheh I was right about DS being a prodigy!! I also liked that all the characters on this show are all flawed, 3D, and multifaceted. They are consistent too - like HJ is still a little snob and narrowed minded but gets reality checked; I enjoy it! 

The rainy beach scene was beautiful, especially the pink sky! Ohhhh she kissed him when she was drunk lol but didn’t remember lol. Interesting that DS says nothing happened!

ohhh finally we get more info about DS’s trauma. Yikes bloody hands!! The rumors of murder and asylum are hints or red herrings?  

Gah next episode is tonight thank goodness

I think ‘fighting’ is good! It allows both HJ and DS to learn how to communicate and resolve issues. By avoiding fights all together, it doesn’t help. I look forward to it since fights is good to undercover uncomfy truths and feelings.

• Like 6
  • Love 1