[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

@NerdyAjumma I'll have to check again, but yeah you could say he gave his honest feedback after Samsan Tech guys became involved with Dal Mi. But from I remember, I think he realized their potential seeing the CODA results. But then when he went to meet them, he saw them already not being able to please the other investor, and also almost getting conned by one. What I believe is that his intention could have included Dal Mi, but I think he saw some potential in them, and thus decided to be their mentor in SandBox or even tell them that he would invest. No matter what, I think he would not just invest in them for Dal Mi's sake here. He saw potential in them, saw they could be a good team if someone else would be their CEO, and decided to do it. I don't think he would do it purely based on emotions here.

@Izaid08 Yes, Alex was already quite interested in Samsan Tech after the CODA results, and also his vote got them in SandBox. But would him being the mentor help them? I don't know, or maybe even doubt it. Samsan Tech already messed up the whole shares distrubution thing, despite it being the most basic thing, and Ji Pyeong actually explaining why CEO needs to be the major shareholder there. But then again, I don't know how Alex would deal with them. Alex came to scout them, he wants them to work for 2STO, atleast for some years before going back to their Start Up plan. Anyway, I am already not impressed by the writer for underusing an interesting character like Alex too. His screen time is too less, and well same can be said for In Jae here too. They are basically wasting two interesting characters being played by 2 extremely talented actors while the episodes being around 1 hour 10 - 1 hour 20 minutes long. 

Speaking about Ji Pyeong and his nature, yes it is not really the best one here, at least when it comes to dealing people for investments. I can already see him feeling miserable after knowing someone to have taken his life because his apparent comments, and maybe it will be used for his character development, but as I said before too, the investors are always harsh. But at least Ji Pyeong, even though he was harsh to Samsan Tech guys, he was the most honest one to them too. So yeah some in the drama just see his harshness like the Samsan guys, while they cannot really deny him, and then we do have Dal Mi, to whom he really may not be that harsh, but she does look out for why he said that. I would say he has been quite a good mentor here, giving the correct tips to Dal Mi, and even helping out with the possible company to invest in their Noongil Project initially, which one could associate with his feelings for her, but it also shows he wants to help as mentor here too. His nature, as you already said could be also be connected to his past, but I see that he is quite straightforward most of the times, and this thing is also considered harsh sometimes. 

I do agree with you that Do San and Ji Pyeong should work together and not just be rivals here. From what I see, I actually initially found Do San being really immature here. He was usually always defensive in front of Ji Pyeong, even when he was right, like talking about Do San not really being a CEO material. Which I would sort also connect with his insecurities when it came to people around Dal Mi, since Ji Pyeong was "The Do San" behind Dal Mi's feelings for him. So I think this feeling also kind of clouded his judgement in some issues, had not really a good impact on him too. I want to see if Dal Mi ends up getting investment on her own on demo day, would he go with Alex or remain there.

But I really would love to see both Ji Pyeong and Do San together, talking about things professionally and not mentioning Dal Mi even once in their conversation. I can understand Do San's insecurity around Dal Mi, since their relationship was totally based on lies, and he was already not comfortable with it. I won't say that either of Ji Pyeong or Do San are responsible for the lies to continue, I'd say both are. While initially Ji Pyeong wanted to come clean, Do San stopped him, and when Do San wanted to Ji Pyeong and Grandmom stopped him. But I am not really getting when, why and how Ji Pyeong fell for Dal Mi. Did it happen since he saw her and continued to deny his feelings for her? Or did it happen a bit later? But we actually saw him being more mature (which is also because of his age) than Do San and I actually loved his confession to her.

Still, I think it would be better for both Ji Pyeong and Do San, especially Do San to be away from Dal Mi for time being. Do San needs to understand that he can have ambitions of his own, which only includes him and not anyone else. He can make decisions for himself, and be a bit greedy for himself. He can have dreams which only involves him, because right not everything is all about Dal Mi when it comes to him, and in my honest opinion, it really is holding him back and also stopping his character development here. 

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I have a lot of issues with the recent episodes here. Firstly they are actually downgrading the characters here, we are getting some negative character developments here, for almost everyone. hing. 

I hate that I agree with this! I was so shocked with the character development. JP's sudden semi-obsessiveness and outrage over why he can't be the one threw me for a loop. It was a bit dramatic and unnecessary in my opinion. I was so confused as to why he suddenly felt so angry. As for DS, gosh, I feel like there has been little to no development over the past episodes. He's still the shy, awkward, low-self esteem boy. I mean, sure, he semi-stood up for DM in some instances, but when he broke the name plate/glass for DM's step dad, I thought it was such a dumb move. Goes back to why I still don't ship him with DM. I felt that it was so irresponsible of him to do that - JP on the other hand, has been helping DM grow as an entrepreneur.

I still don't understand why DS is the main lead when JP is not. Everything JP does screams main lead for me - caring for the FL, helping her grow, etc. I mean, it's the little things that get me too! He's always there for her in her most vulnerable state - by helping her revise her script for the presentation, stirring the noodles for her, getting water for her, MAN, it screams main lead to me on so many levels.

• Like 6

I can write a book on why Dosan is the rightful lead and those on the opposing side will just reject it.  And I just don’t see Jipyeong the way you guys project him to be so..Let us just agree to disagree. I just want to see how the drama ends and ignore the pointless triangle. That’s all I’m going to say. Peace out. B)

• Like 11
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

@marshemell0ws That scene where Ji Pyeong suddenly reacted like that in front of Grandmother even got me. I really didn't expect him to act so impulsively suddenly, but then we see him think again and decide to go with the flow and follow grandmother's plan, which well led to all this mess now. 

For Do San I am actually disappointed with the writer here for not really developing his character well, and in fact downgrading his character like this. Initially they signaled that it would be Dal Mi who would bring the best out of him, make him believe in himself and through all this, he would also find out what he really wants and can actually do. But well, he was the one who was struggling the most in the relationship. 

The whole name plate breaking scene was also a bit too much for me. That kind of showed how immature Do San actually is. Yes what the chairman was saying sure was harsh, but was not worthy of that reaction, because just by that impulsive action he gave him the upper hand. But I also believe we should not really compare him with Ji Pyeong when it comes to professional matters, because he still is rookie and needs to learn a lot while Ji Pyeong is a seasoned guy in the industry now. It was Ji Pyeong's experience which made him tell Dal Mi to record the overall conversation they would have with them, but no matter how inexperienced Do San is, he should have controlled his actions well. Had Dal Mi not recorded the conversation and used it wisely, Samsan Tech would have been in a tight situation already. 

Now talking about the lead of this drama, I think it is neither Do San or Ji Pyeong, the central character of this drama is actually Dal Mi. Now we might argue who can the Male Lead be. While the central character initially was Ji Pyeong, seeing his childhood. I think both Do San and Ji Pyeong have been getting similar screen time.

Seeing how this writer actually writes her dramas, this has been kind of unusual till now. Apart from "I Can Hear Your Voice" where the FL actually initially dated the 2nd ML before going to the ML (as far as I remember), in "While You Were Sleeping" and in "Pinocchio" the 2nd MLs were not really into the game. But here, well, no matter who the 2nd ML is, both are equally in the game right now. Also, the writing style of this writer also includes the FL and ML being linked since childhood and have got a special connection. IT was evident in "I Can Hear Your Voice" and "Pinocchio" since we saw it from start, and was revealed in later part of "While You Were Sleeping". So looking at it here, Ji Pyeong is the one linked with Dal Mi since childhood and connected through those letters. Still so far, this dude has been the 2nd ML on paper. Let's see what happens in the coming episodes, but I don't really see Ji Pyeong and Dal Mi ending up. I did vote for Ji Peyong to end up with her in the poll, but realistically it may not really be possible.

But as you said, Ji Pyeong was always there for Dal Mi, and even she has sensed this. That's why she asked him again about going to Gapyeong every week. She had already sensed it, and was sensing it that he was there for her, even if it coincidental. The good thing is, we will not see Ji Pyeong suppressing his feelings while being a bystander. 

The only best thing about this week's episodes was Lee Bo Young cameo. Otherwise for me this week's episodes didn't really live upto the expectations.

• Like 7

From the drama, we have seen these 3 main lead characters development (except Injae) showing their flaws and weaknesses that reflected closer to reality. It's like a twist of fate for 3 of them.

In front of love, we can become selfish, who don't want to restrain themselves when they finally fall for a woman or a man whom he/she loves deeply.

Sometimes we are caught in the net of fate and pushed to seemingly absurd positions which you could see both men can do everything for their women out of love. But they both forgot that they have made decisions on their own without discussing with DM. This applied the same for grandma who made her own decision without realising the three people suffering later because of her white lies. Sometimes, a good intention can lead to an unintentional outcome. 

@Sleepy Owl - JP has a soft spot, he can be tough in exterior, but he became soft when he faced grandma and DM. He reacted impulsively suddenly to the grandma at the scene was because he wanted to trash it out his feeling while grandma still wanted him to continue covering the white lies which is unfair to him. DM found JP at the buildhouse was a good start, because the truth was finally revealed to her as I do not wish to see the plot getting draggy about the lies withholding.

I agreed with you that the story is DM-centered, these two men that appeared in her life journey is important to her at least for a start-up, in my opinion. If the story is talking about a woman who struggles alone very hard all by herself to achieve her dream one day, then these two men become insignificant in the storyline, they can be just a supporting role, but the writer made these two male leads important to her, at least in her career life, but now even involving in her love life. I am using analogy "lighthouse and float board in the ocean" is because in our lifetime, we need a mentor or a soul mate who can guide us in the right path or walk together with us in the journey be it fail or succeed. But then, lighthouse and float board can be chip off due to wear and tear, and that need repair. Same for human, are the two men in perfect characters, no they are not. They have their own strengths and weaknesses and flaws. Both need to grow and develop further to become a better person in their life journey, likewise to our female lead, DM. I guess this is what the writer's intention. However, the writer has missed out Injae self growth and development.

But there were two things that this drama brought out the key messages:

1. Everything is about Timing
  2. Pay it forward

If the story ending is to allow DM to be a successful entrepreneur, I hope she will become a mentor in Sandbox, apply the "pay it forward " spirit - become a lighthouse to the new batch of younger generation who aspire to start up a company in Sandbox, she will be strong enough to resist any kind of storm and loneliness that she went through, of course, she will have the powerful light insider her, i know she will in the end (this is to prove of her self-growth). Whether she will end up with anyone, it is no longer significant, the message has to be encouraging and meaningful in the end. B)

• Like 6

I’m a fan of Lee Bo Young & I always watch her in serious character, so I dunno if I should laugh or not when she suggested to do the memorial service to the ancestors. Hmmm what? I didn’t see that coming..lol 

I wonder if there’s anymore cameos coming. May be Park Shin Hye can come too as Jipyeong potential gf

Btw for those who still confused as who is the ML, here’s article way back in January 2020

Kim Soo-hyun, Nam Joo-hyuk, Bae Suzy confirmed to star in upcoming tvN dramas

Kim Soo-hyun, Nam Joo-hyuk, Bae Suzy confirmed to star in upcoming tvN dramas

Kim Soo-hyun is already confirmed to star in the upcoming tvN drama Psycho But It’s Okay, his first series in four years since The Producers (2015). Nam Joo-hyuk and Bae Suzy, meanwhile, are also confirmed to play the leads in Startup(previously known as Sandbox).

tvN has yet to make an official announcement about the casting confirmation but according to a teaser of its 2020 drama lineup that was posted by its official drama Twitter account on January 28, the three actors have already signed up for the lead roles in the said series.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kdramapal.com/kim-soo-hyun-nam-joo-hyuk-bae-suzy-confirmed-star-upcoming-tvn-dramas/amp/

• Like 6

Let’s remember that we are not writers of this drama, the question to ask is what is the writer trying to tell us? What is the message to be conveyed through these characters? 

The writer has made JP appeal so much to all of us, especially his back story that we all felt for his difficult beginnings. Dosan’s back story only came up much later. I emphasise with JP because it felt like Dosan stole what could have been his. He went to look for grandma because he felt like he wanted to pay her back. I guess that is his ‘fate’ in this story, to pay her back by finding Dosan and inevitably helping Dalmi find her love. Unfortunately, he didn’t realise that he was falling for her. 

JP will not be endgame. In episode 1 the cherry blossom petal flew from the old corn dog shop all the way to Seoul, past JP, to Samsan Tech office & fell on Dosan’s head, that was a clear sign that linked Dalmi & Dosan. JP was like a cupid, or middleman. But i guess cupid fell in love with the one he was destined to matchmake.

Did he deserve her? Well....it would have been nice if he fought for her, and wanted her more. I found him lacking on that part and he did not love and fight for his love for Dalmi as hard as Dosan did. JP is competitive though! He goes for Dalmi when Dosan says something that triggers him.

If Dosan didn’t turn back and talk to Dalmi about the map and getting lost which started a connection between them, would JP pursue Dalmi instead? I doubt so. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

I'm all for the growth in this drama. I think it was really relevant to show the different kinds of growth that you can go through in life.

This may be from Dal mi's experiences: being separated from her sister/ best friend when they were younger, their family falling apart, losing her father, not finishing school, working all sorts of jobs and not getting promoted, to being reunited with her sister again and determined to prove her wrong (that her decision to stay with their father is also a choice In-jae can regret not making) and eventually rising to the occasion as Samsan Tech's CEO.

Growth can also be through Ji Pyeong: from his life as an orphan and his negative take in life because of that to grandmother showing him kindness to him doubting her (when grandmother handed Dal Mi's father money for his start-up) to eventually finding her again after 15 years and wanting to pay back his debt no matter what. We will definitely see more of his character's growth given the recent turn of events in Ep 10. 

We can also look at Do San: from winning that math olympiad years ago and being his family's pride, living under those expectations, getting accelerated, being an engineer and launching his own start-up, to us knowing that he did not win that olympiad fair-and-square all those years ago to him facing that and telling his father that they should just live as father-and-son and not as each other's pride-and-joy, to finally taking the concrete steps in building his career.

And yet, there's still so much room for growth from these characters in the remaining EPs, so let's all look forward to that. 

I also just want to say that this Ji Pyeong x Do San rivalry can also stem from Ji Pyeong's memory of Do San being the person who has everything he wants. I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but remember when Ji Pyeong saw Do San winning on TV at the same time that he won that online investment competition? Sure they both won, but he couldn't really use his fake money to survive in the real world, and Do San has his family there to celebrate with him unlike him who was an orphan. I think Ji Pyeong has this natural instinct to compete with Do San in everything. This might explain why he was just so harsh to Samsan tech at the start (or he can just be harsh coz he's just like that). Now that Dal Mi and Do San has feelings for each other, he thinks along the lines of  "not her too." Honestly, I think Ji Pyeong's role in Dal Mi's life is to be family, more of like an older brother than her actual love interest. And in the remaining eps we'll also see how Dal Mi and Do San's feelings will eventually grow and overcome this fake letters dilemma. 

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, ppalganttalgi said:

I also just want to say that this Ji Pyeong x Do San rivalry can also stem from Ji Pyeong's memory of Do San being the person who has everything he wants. I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but remember when Ji Pyeong saw Do San winning on TV at the same time that he won that online investment competition? Sure they both won, but he couldn't really use his fake money to survive in the real world, and Do San has his family there to celebrate with him unlike him who was an orphan. I think Ji Pyeong has this natural instinct to compete with Do San in everything. This might explain why he was just so harsh to Samsan tech at the start (or he can just be harsh coz he's just like that). Now that Dal Mi and Do San has feelings for each other, he thinks along the lines of  "not her too." Honestly, I think Ji Pyeong's role in Dal Mi's life is to be family, more of like an older brother than her actual love interest. And in the remaining eps we'll also see how Dal Mi and Do San's feelings will eventually grow and overcome this fake letters dilemma. 

Very good insight. I completely forgot about this small detail, how young JP felt envious of young DS appearing on TV. I wish all characters a happy, deserving ending because they all went through tough times, and they each had their own battle to overcome. 

2 hours ago, skyenugget said:

Did he deserve her? Well....it would have been nice if he fought for her, and wanted her more. I found him lacking on that part and he did not love and fight for his love for Dalmi as hard as Dosan did. JP is competitive though! He goes for Dalmi when Dosan says something that triggers him.

If Dosan didn’t turn back and talk to Dalmi about the map and getting lost which started a connection between them, would JP pursue Dalmi instead? I doubt so. 

Very good point. JP was ready to cut ties, treating their encounter as a one-timer, but DS felt something that night. He fell hard for DM at first sight, and I think it also stemmed from the fact that her letters touched him deeply. We know DS is a compassionate person by nature, so he's more empathic towards DM's history and able to connect better with her.

6 hours ago, ainipang said:

So im wondering what year are they on? Will we have a flash foward time..3 years after nam do san workin with 2sto?

Some eagle-eyed viewers pointed out that the setting for this drama is currently in 2016-2017. They also speculating that DS will move to the US to work for 2STO and will return to SK in year 2020 during the final episodes. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, marshemell0ws said:

I hate that I agree with this! I was so shocked with the character development. JP's sudden semi-obsessiveness and outrage over why he can't be the one threw me for a loop. It was a bit dramatic and unnecessary in my opinion. I was so confused as to why he suddenly felt so angry. As for DS, gosh, I feel like there has been little to no development over the past episodes. He's still the shy, awkward, low-self esteem boy. I mean, sure, he semi-stood up for DM in some instances, but when he broke the name plate/glass for DM's step dad, I thought it was such a dumb move. Goes back to why I still don't ship him with DM. I felt that it was so irresponsible of him to do that - JP on the other hand, has been helping DM grow as an entrepreneur.

I still don't understand why DS is the main lead when JP is not. Everything JP does screams main lead for me - caring for the FL, helping her grow, etc. I mean, it's the little things that get me too! He's always there for her in her most vulnerable state - by helping her revise her script for the presentation, stirring the noodles for her, getting water for her, MAN, it screams main lead to me on so many levels.

Well at least these 3 are still the main leads and had the sufficient amount of screentime.

The 2nd female lead is, in my opinion, just a 2nd or 3rd tier secondary character already. The lack of progress in her story.

I had already drop this drama as the plot doesn't interest me anymore.

Shall pick it up again once this is over to see the ending

• Like 4