[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

18 hours ago, ainipang said:

So im wondering what year are they on? Will we have a flash foward time..3 years after nam do san workin with 2sto?

13 hours ago, NerdyAjumma said:

Some eagle-eyed viewers pointed out that the setting for this drama is currently in 2016-2017. They also speculating that DS will move to the US to work for 2STO and will return to SK in year 2020 during the final episodes. 

if you re watch ep10, around min 25:30(Netflix), you can see the date of demo day which is 14 Jul 2016. there is another 1 during the preview of ep11. JP phone shows the latest message came on 5 Aug 2016.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Finally the thread in this forum is alive. I've been busy in twitter trying to cool the shipwar. I think I had a small win.

Loves both NDS and HJP and the actors. Surrounded by a programmers myself I get NDS. There's a reason for suzy being cast. What man in SK who saw an opportunity to be one day date with a nation firstlove would say no (thats arch 101 parodi is for). We saw NDS was already smitten from afar then was touch by her letter. He's deeper2 in love, lil bit greedy and opportunistic understanable for me. Saw many geeks in love in his 20s.

While HJP, researching his background and know how it takes to be the best in his job now (and for him to even get a job in the first place) made my heart belong to him. Like I didn't know before that his odds to be where he is now is very slim.

As for who would be best for Dalmi, it's up to her.

Like HJP seems superior on paper, a catch, but he is actually carry a lot of "han". So if u pick him u should have a capability to deal with it (like grandma who don't falter to his suddent emotional outburst).

As NDS him being a genius that both bless and cursed (math olimpic thing that haunt him, pressure etc). Same, man with emotional baggage. If we see them lovey-dovey before, it's honemoon phase. In the end marrying a programmer has pro and con. The con is you'll get into tech-threesome. My brother is programmer, there's a small earthquake snd the first thing he saves is his laptop lol, instead of his pregnant wife. 

Here's my thought about the drama so far. Sorry a lot off typo and gramatical error on my tweet. Coz I am a little bit older for twitter so fast conversation in twitverse made my brain fart.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ryanallright said:

Well at least these 3 are still the main leads and had the sufficient amount of screentime.

The 2nd female lead is, in my opinion, just a 2nd or 3rd tier secondary character already. The lack of progress in her story.

I had already drop this drama as the plot doesn't interest me anymore.

Shall pick it up again once this is over to see the ending

So do i, when i have seen this drama the first time i thought more intense on business content. but it's nope, more focusing on messy complicated love triangle story.

who is the 2nd Female lead? Won In Jae (KHN)? Nope, is the grandma.

it's kind of hard to when the episode breakdown is like this.

90% love triangle(SDM-NDS-HJP-Grandma)

5% move the business side of the plot

5% side character, including WIJ

This drama is just one big giant love triangle, with plot sprinkled in between.

just poorly for hanna, i expected this drama to get stepping stone for her career, coz she still never get first female lead role on rom-com drama.

Edited by Amat Oji
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2020 at 3:03 PM, Sleepy Owl said:

@marshemell0ws That scene where Ji Pyeong suddenly reacted like that in front of Grandmother even got me...

The whole name plate breaking scene was also a bit too much for me

Start-up, at first I hope for more start-up drama like HBO silicon valley. But maybe those will be to heavy for kdrama general viewer? So PHR hides many social commentary that are foundation of why youth choose the startup way

Why Jipyeong so can suddenly so angry? He carries a lot of han: the Chinese Character 恨 (Han) which is often described as an internalized feeling of deep sorrow, resentment, grief, regret and anger. Due to his status as aged-out-of orphanage 

While Nam Do San breaking the plate. My brother is a programmer who is nerdy and always avoid conflict. But boy if there is injustice, his reaction is similar with breaking the plate. What interesting is this scene is methaphor of fight between sokor millenial with chaebol https://born2invest.com/articles/south-korean-millennials-challenge-powerful-chaebol/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

That's them to gig's economy and startup https://amp.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3004060/why-south-korean-millennials-are-ditching-white-collar-jobs?__twitter_impression=true

Nam Do San represent "Sowakhaeng" small but a certain moment of happiness
https://t.co/G0pYxLFbDe

• Insightful 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the interesting posts and talking about HP han.  @Dramageek Keep them coming! Love the articles you included and going to read them now.

@Amat Oji I agree totally Kang Hana is sorely underutilized and second female lead is GRAND MA not her for SURE.

I agree Korea's first love Suzy Bae, when have this hottie needing your help and her heartfelt plea-- no wonder DS could not resist.

Our current OTP kiss and dating sweetness

• Like 8

I am back again~ Had enough of reddit due to the overwhelming hate/criticism of NDS.

I have affection for both male leads but it is so difficult getting a proper discussion for DS without getting downvoted to oblivion. 

At this point, it seems that the plot is moving towards DS/DM as the end game. Kind of weird that JP is shafted aside and not having much scenes of him (having a big impact on the plot), I mean even the big revelation by JP is brushed off quickly and focus then resumed on DM and DS. Perhaps this is purposely intended by the director/writer to cut out any possibility of DM/JP end game. 

And the plot is FINALLY shifting back to the start-ups after having the last 2 episodes solely focusing on the love triangle.

Looking forward to demo-day, ala DM vs IJ round 2.

--Random thoughts--

IF DM and JP do somehow end up together, it be one of the rare occasions where a supposedly male lead (NDS) and female lead who already have plenty of intimate scenes together (kisses! hugs!) NOT end up together in the end.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nodame said:

Thanks for the interesting posts and talking about HP han.  @Dramageek Keep them coming! Love the articles you included and going to read them now.

@Amat Oji I agree totally Kang Hana is sorely underutilized and second female lead is GRAND MA not her for SURE.

I agree Korea's first love Suzy Bae, when have this hottie needing your help and her heartfelt plea-- no wonder DS could not resist.

Thanks. I suspect HJP was modelled on Jo Youn Hwan story. He's the main activist on aged-out-orphan right. The way always felt uneasy but secretly happy when being called "a good boy". Jo Youn-hwan when he was abandoned promise to be a good boy if mom's comeback. He also said he carry a lot of han. Heartbreaking. https://t.co/8qAqdanhEp. So this is the biggest reason of his late realization of love, fear of abandonement.

Agree that Kang Hana's part is less than halmoni. She's like the anchor of every character. Symbol of SK Aged Society. If we go with the story premise, the story is about dalmi's heartbreak being left alone by Injae. If she didn't go to US, halmoni won't fabricated a lie. If Dalmi's didn't lie to Injae to preserve her pride, the old lies won't be need to be refresh. So the real happy ending is sisters reconciliation. I hope after letter lies cleared the story is focused on more Injae.

Also Nam Do San is a 20 something geek in love, a genius lost. Though HJP steal my heart more. I love him too. All his action also understanable and make sense if U understand his character. Being a startup founder is not easy.

• Like 6

EVENT: Guess the k-drama (game)

Chingus, it's time for a little friendly game. Your Event Organizers "I Love Gossip" and "Give Me the Goss" have written clues, you guess which dramas we are referring to.

Come on over and test your k-drama knowledge!:kiss_wink:

re: @Lmangla

• Where's My Oppa? 1

On 11/16/2020 at 11:51 PM, marshemell0ws said:

I hate that I agree with this! I was so shocked with the character development. JP's sudden semi-obsessiveness and outrage over why he can't be the one threw me for a loop. It was a bit dramatic and unnecessary in my opinion. I was so confused as to why he suddenly felt so angry. As for DS, gosh, I feel like there has been little to no development over the past episodes. He's still the shy, awkward, low-self esteem boy. I mean, sure, he semi-stood up for DM in some instances, but when he broke the name plate/glass for DM's step dad, I thought it was such a dumb move. Goes back to why I still don't ship him with DM. I felt that it was so irresponsible of him to do that - JP on the other hand, has been helping DM grow as an entrepreneur.

I still don't understand why DS is the main lead when JP is not. Everything JP does screams main lead for me - caring for the FL, helping her grow, etc. I mean, it's the little things that get me too! He's always there for her in her most vulnerable state - by helping her revise her script for the presentation, stirring the noodles for her, getting water for her, MAN, it screams main lead to me on so many levels

I agree. Why are all the characters suddenly made so unlikable? And why are the friends of Dosan who benefited from JP's help are now behaving like hoodlums and are treating JP as if he is the monster because JP also likes the girl their friend is dating? If not for JP they will still be in that grungy hut they call their office scratching their gullible heads and victims of "idea" thieves. They can root for Dosan but they don't have the right to physically block JP from discussing business with DM and DS especially when they too are beneficiaries. They can raise their objections with Dalmi regarding JP's business proposals but to physically bar him are actions of bullies. DM and DS for that matter can make up their own minds.

DM has to be curious about the writer of the letters. She anticipated receiving and reading those letters that deeply influenced her views and gave meaning to her life otherwise she would not have kept those letters. Do not underestimate the power of the pen especially when it is hand written and not typed. It is a chance for both writers to express themselves caringly in sharing, and thanksgiving. She started to like Do San because she thought he was the one who wrote those letters. I don't blame her for being angry and confused because those letters were profoundly special to her as well as to JP. JP is very private but he wrote those letters incognito hiding under an assumed name and was free to express himself thinking that he would not be unmasked and what he wrote reveals a lot about himself. He never thought that he would someday meet DM and be attracted to her. That has shaken his defenses and the armor of privacy he built around himself. It seems at the end of the last episode that JP will turn into a shady unlovable guy? Why? So Dalmi would select the "nice guy" and reject the bad guy and DS claim the girl as the lead? What fun is there in that? Why not let Dalmi speak for herself and let the men have a fair competition without making one the bad guy?

DS breaks his connection with JP and will get support from the guy from San Francisco, Alex. That decision was also influenced by DS father who is hiding from the union members he led in protests, because the father thought that would ruin his son's future. I think DS accepting the proposal from the Alex maybe a wiser decision after weighing all that matters. It is a step in his professional and personal growth. He was asked by JP for help and he went to that first meeting with DM not knowing how that decision and action will roll. Now, all of them will face the consequences of that lie and how they face it will reveal what stock they are made of.

It is a bit late for JP to reveal his feelings after the "lie" was discovered because DM was already dating the man she thought wrote those letters. But in order to get clarity and resolution for all, everything needs to be revealed. I just hope all the characters will have a good resolution even if they don't get what they want. JP is a mature and a good man. I think he is strong enough to accept the consequence of the lie even if it is giving up his feelings for DS and move on as he always did facing challenges along the way. He will still be member of Grandma's family. DM needs time to deal with her feelings too. She must have revealed much of herself in those letters and the man she was falling in love with whom she thought wrote those letters is not the letter writer but pretended to be. She must feel as if DS was the outsider that looked in and moved in without permission. But after the emotional recriminations has passed, she is the one who gets to decide the end game. 

The older sister IJ, in the meantime remains the sorest loser of all. If she had gracefully conceded that she is not the origin of the "swing" idea but praised the the idea as creative and smart, she would come out as a winner but falsely claiming an intellectual idea as hers makes her a thief and a fake. I was hoping her character would  change and become more caring older sister and as well as a talented and empathic professional. Ahhh well.

The one character who stayed level headed, smart, pretty and funny is Jung Ha. She does her job well and dishes some pretty good advise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think CEO Yoon has at least some, if not all, responsibility for that suicide. She's always shown at the bridge and looks somewhat guilty. 

Also I hope Alex is the kid who got 2nd place in the math Olympiad. If DS see he turned out well I think he'll feel relieved from that burden.

BTW why DM didn't do anything about Grandma eyes, not urging her to the hospital or something like that, she just accepted. I wonder whether she will ask JiPyeong for help when things get worse or he'll find out himself. Either way will be hard but I hope she'll do it. And finally ask something about letters as well..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andrew - said:

I am back again~ Had enough of reddit due to the overwhelming hate/criticism of NDS.

I have affection for both male leads but it is so difficult getting a proper discussion for DS without getting downvoted to oblivion. 

At this point, it seems that the plot is moving towards DS/DM as the end game. Kind of weird that JP is shafted aside and not having much scenes of him (having a big impact on the plot), I mean even the big revelation by JP is brushed off quickly and focus then resumed on DM and DS. Perhaps this is purposely intended by the director/writer to cut out any possibility of DM/JP end game. 

And FINALLY, The plot is shifting back to the start-ups after having the last 2 episodes solely focusing on the love triangle.

Looking forward to demo-day, ala DM vs IJ round 2.

--Random thoughts--

IF DM and JP do somehow end up together, it be one of the rare occasions where a supposedly male lead (NDS) and female lead who already have plenty of intimate scenes (kisses! hugs!) NOT end up together in the end.

Reddit (and Twitter) is ridiculously toxic and honestly takes the joy out of watching the show for me. I also had to stop visiting it because the NDS hate is seriously childish and unreasonable. I swear the shipping war has made people revert back to being a 10-year-old.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 9:18 PM, ryanallright said:

The 2nd female lead is, in my opinion, just a 2nd or 3rd tier secondary character already. The lack of progress in her story.

I had already drop this drama as the plot doesn't interest me anymore.

Shall pick it up again once this is over to see the ending

You know, they could make In Jae a cliché villain instead they gave her a grey character which made her intriguing with what appeared at the beginning an independent arc of her own. I was looking forward to her journey but then I realized, it won't be happening as her scenes became less and less and less as the show churned out new episodes each weekend. So, I've given up too at the moment. If Kang Hanna wasn't such a terrific actress, (who does shine bright with limited, near zero screen time, she gets or is given) it would hurt less. I hope she picks up another project preferably as a lead soon. I have never been much invested in the trio and the character I least relate to is Dal Mi. So, I am just casual viewer now. Also, I don't give RickRoll'D about the Swing idea, never have, never will. They are centering it to somehow make a caricature out of In Jae and dish out some poetic, fable like moral lesson about truth, lies, honesty. I couldn't care less for it. That was the first sign for me that the writer doesn't exactly know much about tech start ups or realities of what really matters in tech start up incubator or accelerators or else at least the central conflict would be more realistic and far more interesting. It won't be something banal sappy like a story about some girl in a swing. 

I also don't think a reconciliation between sisters is necessary at this point. Some families are distant and in those cases, you build your own family. Dal Mi has one, In Jae can find and build her own too. I don't think emotionally either needs the other, That relationship is beyond repair and Its fine if it stays amicable on surface.

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 2