[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

On 11/18/2020 at 10:18 AM, ryanallright said:

Well at least these 3 are still the main leads and had the sufficient amount of screentime.

The 2nd female lead is, in my opinion, just a 2nd or 3rd tier secondary character already. The lack of progress in her story.

I had already drop this drama as the plot doesn't interest me anymore.

Shall pick it up again once this is over to see the ending

Same here... 

I stop watching it until knowing the ending. If the ending is better, then I'll continue. I don't wanna waste my time watching a drama with bad ending (for me) like Memories of Alhambra. After watching it, I regret for putting a high expectation bcoz of its amazing story development at its beginning, but the completion of the conflict is really absurd.

• Like 2

Let's be frank, I do not have much of an issues with the actors and actresses in the drama

Just that the writing of the plot is disappointing.

P.S. Don't bash me, but I was never impressed with Suzy's acting. I always believe some of the idol managed to get 1st lead because of their popularity in Korea and internationally.

• Like 5

HI All,

Yeah I never go to REDDIT and rarely to TWITTER for drama discussions, I prefer here as my safe haven--Soompi Forums. @Cheetos123 So glad I do not go there or rely on drama chat there. PHEW.

Thanks all for your posts and comments.

@Dramageek Bow down to your knowledge. :heart2::wub:WOAH about HJP character is based on Jo Youn Hwan, I got to read that link later too. Those articles you shared were excellent. So good I had to share on my twitter the links too. I have had discussions with my Korean Language partners and dongsengs about Millennials and young Koreans dealing with Hell Chosun. Plus I follow a bunch of vloggers and YOUTUBE Koreans who talk about Korea and life in Korea. So I always interested in it. Then my close friend and I discuss her family, raising her kids and living in Korea vs other parts of the world about the trials and tribulations. So thanks for sharing. I think it is GREAT that there is spaces for those to just meet others without need for rank/age/status. I find many of my Korean friends always state is one ASPECT they enjoy while being in the USA. ( I admit too I like this as well. I can be friends with anyone without worry of age/status of job.)

@ryanallright The plot is ok for me and watchable and I like the actors/actresses myself. I think Suzy has improved since "Dream High." Also I agree many idols do get opportunities due to fame and popularity. But EVERYONE has to start somewhere. I know some actors I really like (I did not know they were idols before) and now are excellent in acting. So some become seasoned and excellent actors. IE I love Eric Mun of Shinwa--he is so good. I didn't realize he was in the famous "SHINWA" when I saw him in "Fire Bird" the original one at first. Wow I was blown away.  IU too was not great when she started out but she has improved alot and LOVED her in "My Mister." I admit if I like an actor (even if I know their acting isn't that strong) it is more for their visuals I can be more forgiving as they are "eye candy" for me. 

I am watching STARTUP for Kim Seon Ho and Nam Ji Hyuk mainly and grandmother. The actress is so fantastic and such a wonderful veteran. As with everyone else,I wish there was more to Kang Hana's role too -if it was beefed up more I would not mind but right now I don't see it happening.

@zenya22 Kudos on your post, you wrote alot of things that have crossed my mind about the drama and wrote a great post. I TOO was horrified at DS friends/colleagues for blocking JP and not acting professionally with him trying to block his access to DM. HELLO you are working together and he IS your mentor. What about talking calmly with him and it is an issue with DS, DM and JP-not for you to physically blockade his access from DM. :evillaugh:

I agree DM is NOT prize to be won. She is a person with free will with emotions and feelings. I can agree she is confused and rightfully so. She NEEDS time. Now FINALLY both guys are on even field. She has to go with her heart and what she feels. I can agree what she knew up to KNOW are LIES and very hurtful. But she is right she has to charge forward as an ADULT and professional for DEMO day and avoid DS and YP (on a personal LEVEL meetings) outside. So when DS keeps trying to meet her when she asked for that--come on give the gal space.  She needs to figure it out. She had feelings for a long time for DS the letter writer. Now she has real feelings and fluttery feelings and kisses/warm fuzzies with DS (the real man named DS).  So to have her head now wrap around who is real or not in her heart remains to be seen. I agree she should have a thought about them and figure it out . A fair competition but I doubt that I going to happen.

Grand mother, yes now DM knows I wonder why she doesn't too push for her to fix her eyes. I guess grandma is worried about money or being a bother? Is it so bad genetically not much can be done to lessen or soften the time for her to lose her sight? It seems like she is resigned to that fact. She already cannot see well (when trying to sew) , replacing the key pad with keys for her entrance doorway (so those small things are already bad). So no wonder she has to hire a helper. She has already wounds on her hands (I am sure from her making hot dogs and prep as her eyesight is not good.

@naun81 Good points. I wonder what CEO Yoon's deal is too as it shows she saw the young man jump off the bridge is a good point. :doggie:

@rocher22 Always can count on you to post some eye candy goodies. Yeah! :heart3:

Ok I found this interview with Kim Seon Ho (there are English subs) . OHHH he is so cute here.

OMG he is so adorbs and I love his smiles. Awww a cutie. 

• Like 8

It was in the epilogue, she said I'd still pick the one who wrote me those letters 15 years ago.  Then she said she was still getting used to the new DoSan which made her sad sometimes but it also excited her and made her heart flutter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, D27Gjk68 said:

It was in the epilogue, she said I'd still pick the one who wrote me those letters 15 years ago.  Then she said she was still getting used to the new DoSan which made her sad sometimes but it also excited her and made her heart flutter.

Thank you Chingu! This has also been bothering me..is IJ really the girl on the swing her dad referenced about?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, philosophie said:

Thank you Chingu! This has also been bothering me..is IJ really the girl on the swing her dad referenced about?

Spoiler

in Ep 10 it has been revealed that DM is the actual one on the swing and IJ borrowed the story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andrew - said:
  Reveal hidden contents

in Ep 10 it has been revealed that DM is the actual one on the swing and IJ borrowed the story.

Thank you as well chingu!

so here’s some thoughts/predictions/theories I have for the upcoming episodes since I have binged 1-10 and still have some details fresh in my mind.

terminal illness-when JP first recruits DS, he asks DS what the main guy in dramas are like (wish I had exact question but it was something along those lines) and DS replies terminal illness? 

I do wonder if this is a foreshadowing that one of them will become terminally ill-I am leaning towards JP. Interesting enough in his first letter he discusses grief and how it awakened him to appreciate the moment and never take for granted the present.

revenge-at first I thought it was DM or her sister that wrote that post it note. After hearing about how someone’s hung killed themself and now the younger brother is working there, I think the post it note was from the San (the one not with the lady in their team, forgive me for forgetting his name). Interesting enough in a past episode someone talks about a hypothetical of a team member betraying their company and the scene shoots to that San. Thus another foreshadowing that I assume shows this San will doublecross them in the name of revenge (for what I initially thought was money because they were working for DS for free the past two years)

fake/fraud- ooof wowza do we see a lot of this in this show. JP using DS as an alias in writing, Grandma using JP to cheer up her daughter, IJ changing her last name and using DM swing story, DMs mom marrying to be rich and DS pretending until he’s caught. I’m still wondering what other ‘fraudulent’ plot twists there may be in the future, but I think there is something philosophical behind this theme of being ‘fake’ that hasn’t dawned on me yet. Of course I think the biggest lesson so far is what her grandma said, even white lies can hurt someone. I wonder if her big sister lied that day in spring because she was forced to, or if even the root of the dispute was based off a white lie. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

13 hours ago, Nodame said:

@Dramageek Bow down to your knowledge.

@ryanallright The plot is ok for me and watchable and I like the actors/actresses myself. I think Suzy has improved since "Dream High."

I agree DM is NOT prize to be won. She NEEDS time. Now FINALLY both guys are on even field. She has to go with her heart and what she feels.

Grand mother, yes now DM knows I wonder why she doesn't too push for her to fix her eyes. I guess grandma is worried about money or being a bother?

@naun81 Good points. I wonder what CEO Yoon's deal is too as it shows she saw the young man jump off the bridge is a good point.

@rocher22 Always can count on you to post some eye candy goodies. Yeah!

Thanks @Nodame. I am not that knowledgable. It's just the geek in me made me a lil bit good on google search keyword. Sometimes I miss the old me who watch kdrama as is when the internet is not as advanced.

PHR was always have grey character vilain with backstory. So curious why this CEO won is so B/W. I also recognized that the k-drama thropes used had many parallel with many concept of tech startup itself. I am able to recognized this coz I am like kdrama watcher since '90s and also work in IT. Being both sides of the table made me catch that. I dig something and one thing lead to another.

As for Suzy this is my take: PHR reserved main cast of #startup drama for #baesuzy for strong reason. A women in SK with beauty as a priviledge, people tend to undermind her effort no matter how hard she work. She's became a throphy. The irony, being #nation1stlove both compliment and curse.

So now with the heated shipwar and also a lot of hate and critics pointed at suzy. PHR achieve her goal, to present the irony.

On Grandma visual impairment issue. Don't forget as startup CEO, she had to make a pitch about Noongil. In startup pitch deck the first page is always about the problem. What problem in society this day that her startup can answer. So she's already researching about her app marketsize blindness, visual impairment (in 2050 visual impairment will tripled in the world due to aging population, one part of hellchosun problem). NDS also input her about the diagnosis even though the dialogue was not shown.

About CEO's Yoon. She's like a veteran in VC business. Back in 2001 when she met Dalmi's dad there were no concept of startup accelerator/incubator yet (it was initiated by ycombinator in 2005). She really want to make it easier for an entrepreneur by creating Sandbox. The information so far is Yongsan brother is from 2nd batch. So add to factor that an accelerator always did summer and winter batch, the incident happen in 2011. When sandbox still somewhat newbie in creating that part of startup ecosystem, how to protect young founders from falling. That there was still one casualty always weight on her mind.

Also hidden social commentary-winter blues-hellchosun-lead to suicide nation

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Insightful 3

Hi everyone! Great to join this forum and I’m so pleased to find a place to discuss the drama. I had to leave reddit like many of you because it became too heated. 

just thought I’d share some pics for tomorrow’s episode:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.sedaily.com/NewsViewAmp/1ZAHC8CNP4

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chosun.com/entertainments/entertain_photo/2020/11/20/COQFIVY6KEMJCPZIIWDW6JZMBE/%3FoutputType%3Damp

Looks like the revenge plot will be fleshed out and maybe DS DM reconcile? I can only hope!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2020 at 3:35 AM, NerdyAjumma said:

Some eagle-eyed viewers pointed out that the setting for this drama is currently in 2016-2017. They also speculating that DS will move to the US to work for 2STO and will return to SK in year 2020 during the final episodes. 

I don’t think Dosan will move to US. Afterall this drama is about StartUp business and not only Dosan is the main shareholder of Samsan Tech, he is also the main developer of the company. Without him can the company progress at all? Dalmi & Saha expertise are only on the marketing, sales, admin & legal stuff, while the other 2 San are to support Dosan, not as main developers. So, I think Dalmi will manage to do well on the Demo, & secure an investor herself, so Dosan doesn’t have to go to work for 2sto (btw,what’s with company’s name?). So I’m sure Dosan will stick tru with Samsan Tech, growing together with the company

20 hours ago, Arajo81 said:

just thought I’d share some pics for tomorrow’s episode:

6C4OWVDFHP3JFYXTDE2ZZYBYOE.jpg

1ZAHC8CNP4_1.jpg

Thanks for sharing 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dramageek said:

The information so far is Yongsan brother is from 2nd batch. So add to factor that an accelerator always did summer and winter batch, the incident happen in 2011

Hmm was JP in Sandbox himself in the same batch as YS brother? Drama didn't show how he became successful but it seems Yoon CEO likes him, maybe because he's one of her mentees?

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 11:47 PM, ryanallright said:

P.S. Don't bash me, but I was never impressed with Suzy's acting. I always believe some of the idol managed to get 1st lead because of their popularity in Korea and internationally.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions & likings. However its a fact that mostly whatever Suzy’s in, it becomes a box office/trending, from DH, A101 to Vegabound to the current StartUp. It becomes no 1 trending in most countries & top 10 in others. And for me that’s enuf to say she’s that good!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, naun81 said:

Hmm was JP in Sandbox himself in the same batch as YS brother? Drama didn't show how he became successful but it seems Yoon CEO likes him, maybe because he's one of her mentees?

When did JP join SH venture? Is he already join SH venture and involve in Sandbox in 2011? That info is not available to us now.

CEO Yoon already CEO in SH Venture in 2001 I suppose? She mentions that she once run a business like Dalmi. So her career in VC I suspect is through succesfull career in being startup founder herself. (That's why her mentorship style is more founder-friendly). Then she switch into VC industry.

While JP surely comes from financial/investment background. If he went to finance/business major in uni (definitely one of SKY) for 4 years. Then probably went to Stanford/Harvard (imo 60% vc from business background are comes from top business school graduate) for 2 years. If he graduate on time he'll finish schools in 2007. He had slim chance to be employed in SK (as he was orphan) so I think he worked in finance/investment abroad for 3-4 years before being recruited by SH Capital.

CEO Yoon is wise, so she will not discriminate HJP due to his background. And she also need VC partner with different backround, I suppose. For check and ballance.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of people (Inetz & especially Knetz) widely praise Suzy's acting in this drama, tho. They even highly praise her crying acting and her comic one!!!! So I don't know why you guys act like "she gets a lot of hate and criticism" when it's basically the opposite now. :D Her acting was already praised in her previous works like WYWS, Vagabond & Ashfall but not as much as in Start-Up. That says a lot, imo.:P These "very few" people who are "hating" on her acting are probably just too biased against her at this point. :lol:

And if PHR has chosen Suzy as her main lead (and even as the central character of the drama) for the third time, it's because PHR trusts Suzy, she knows Suzy is made for this role and knows that Suzy has the potential & the talent to carry her character. PHR knows Suzy better than any of us, she's worked with her on three projects and she knows what Suzy is worth. Not to mention the fact that Suzy is the first one to have been casted for this drama (before your oppas:lol:)

Anyway, Suzy hasn't worked hard for 8 months (of filming) just to be reduced to just a "popular visual" or just a "popular idol". First, she's not an idol anymore, and second, she did a very good job here and her acting is good, it's time to admit it now. And just because you don't like her "acting style", it doesn't mean her acting is bad.

Bae Suzy deserves better respect :phew:

Also, NJH was a model before being an actor, so why do you only have a problem with Suzy being a former idol?? Anyway, both Suzy & NJH do a good job and deserve praise here.:wub:

• Like 4
  • Love 3

I dunno why many think Dosan going to US is a sure thing, because I keep rewatching the scene with Alex, there’s none that Dosan said that he agrees to go to US if their team made thru the Demo. What he said was he doesn’t want “Plan B” if his team fail. The Plan B here refers to Jipyeong’s investment & involvement in SSTech. If they expect Dosan to leave for US, doesn’t it mean Dalmi fail the Demo? 

Let’s talk about the content of this drama again. This drama kicked off with 2 strangers Dalmi & Dosan, were thrown together by some innocent white lies cooked up by Grandma & Jipyeong 15 years ago. Dalmi believing Dosan was the penpal she never met from 15 years back, while Dosan has no idea who she was except she wanted to buy his signed baseball. And after series of incidents & misunderstanding, both Dalmi & Dosan falls in love for real while working on their StartUp business. It probably would have been smooth sailing relationship, if only Jipyeong hasn’t fall in love with Dalmi too, but he did, and as expected every lies comes to an end. Now everything is out in the open, Dalmi has to make a decision, for her heart, which man she truly loves, the one that lives in the memory of a 13 years old, or the present one who laugh & cry beside her. And for her career, will she choose someone who will give her soft landing every time she falls, or someone who will fall, walk & run together with her..And I suspect just like Dosan once did, wether its for her heart or business she will choose the same man.

Same with Dosan, he too has to make decision wether to accept Alex offer & fly high on his own, or stick with his team thru thick & thin. And knowing Dosan, even if he wants to give Dalmi a break, he won’t leave Yongsan, Chulsan & Saha and the offer from Alex is only for him

In the end this is a story abt how 2 people who’s basically strangers, one is a genius IT inventor, the other is a talented marketeer, being thrown together & end up doing a start up  together. So I don’t think Dosan will leave anytime soon & I’m sure if there’s any time jump, Dosan will be there with the rest of the Samsan Tech gang. IMO episode 9 & 10 is just to end the confusion of the letters & people behind it, so I believe from episode 11 onwards there will be no more confusion of identity & the focus will be on the growth of the company as well as a healthy growth in relationship between Dalmi & Dosan

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1