[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

Logging back in for the first time to say that I am in love with Min Jae and Park Eun Bin! I hope they receive a lot of opportunities after this show. They are just so lovely. I can feel the experience of dating through their portrayals. The expectation and uncertainty in the early stages are so well acted. 

I hope they show SA's response in full to DY confession. I imagine she was crying since she had so desperately wanted to hear those words (first from DY and now JY) but when she finally hears it,  its from the wrong person at the wrong time. How frustrating for her. 

Not a fan of how the confession played out. It felt like an afterthought but I have to remember his character is inexperienced. But I'm glad she called him out on it, that thats not what she came to hear. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Jillia said:

좋아해요.  - I like you. (formal language)

좋아한다구요. - I like you. (the ending emphasizes Joon Young's feelings as in "I like you!", it's more like a statement)

좋아해. - I like you. (Banmal/informal language)

좋아해요. - I like you. (goes back to formal language)

Yes! I would add on to the second 좋아한다구요 to mean “I’m saying I like you. Or I’m liking you” he’s really emphasizin/stating that he likes her.   I loved the switches between formal/informal. When you say something informally it really makes it seem so intimate and close. 

5 hours ago, Jillia said:

Sorry for getting back so late. :D

It's actually difficult to understand when you're not Korean (I'm not Korean myself). I think certain things are difficult to translate especially when it's about conveying a feeling through language. Every language has these little untranslatable words or sayings which only people who are born in the country and grow up with the language know how to feel and how to interpret. But I think the subtitles for the drama are not sincere and not able to relay what Joon Young is actually feeling.

The Korean viewers are very much in love with his confession because he really MEANS what he is saying. He IS deeply in love or VERY deeply likes Song Ah.

A very simple but maybe better translation would be:

I like you.

I DO like you.

I like you a lot.

I like you.

And even then the English language isn't really able to show how Joon Young feels about Song Ah. As Cha In Young said Joon Young always thinks of other people first, so to think of himself first in this moment and to say this shows he is has been overflowing with love for Song Ah. Which is shown how he switches back and forth between banmal (informal language) and jondaemal (formal language). That's at least my interpretation. Not sure if it makes sense though. :D

@vangsweetie637

Yes, definitely. These have been always so polite with eachother... only speaking in formal language. So the moment they switch to banmal will be very special. So I actually was yelling a bit when he switched to banmal during his confession.

@Jilliayouve got a pretty firm grasp on the nuances about the different ways of saying I like you for being non korean! I’m korean American and I def would say that comes closest to nuances of what he said. Plain old “I like you” seems so shallow to the depths of how much he expresses he likes her. Im actually a little surprised his feelings have progressed this far. I knew he likes her and liked being around her, but I didn’t realize his feelings ran so deep. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

@Jillia because you mentioned the confession scene I went back there again. I actually haven't watched ep 7 and 8 subbed completely. I was so impatient I watched the raw episodes that night. Its gotten to the point that I just sigh when I hear both of them speaking. They cast 2 actors with very big expressive eyes and really soothing voices. Did anyone notice how soothing their voices are compared to some of the other actors around?

Anyway all I wanted to say was I went back to viki to see the scene. And sighed some more because the subbed lyrics of the song was there during the kissing scene. Omg I think my heart seized up again. The lyrics made my heart go all goeey. So yes I think not having the correct translation always sucks. But also that the Korean dramas OSTs are always so spot on. That is why no matter how catchy a current American ballad or popular song is; nothing beats a Korean ballad lyrics. So much so I've switched to listening to Korean songs.

You should go watch the viki scenes everyone who has access unless you already understand the songs. Its as good as the confession.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Jillia said:

좋아해요.  - I like you. (formal language)

좋아한다구요. - I like you. (the ending emphasizes Joon Young's feelings as in "I like you!", it's more like a statement)

좋아해. - I like you. (Banmal/informal language)

좋아해요. - I like you. (goes back to formal language)

I (native speaker) have a slightly different take on the meaning of these lines.

Looking at the lines like this, the middle two lines make more sense to me now (and I am guessing it is probably what the writer had in mind when she wrote it).

It is more like this.

좋아해요.  - (formal language) I like you

좋아한다구요, 좋아해. - (formal then banmal) This is what a (mildly) frustrated person would say as an emphasis after the first phrase did not have the reaction that he wanted. This line is more like saying "I am telling you that I like you! I like you a lot!" in English. It would normally be said together in quick succession, and he would use banmal because he wants to express frustration, but I think the actor took some liberty and put a big pause in between two phrases.

좋아해요. - (goes back to formal language) Back to formal since he feels like his point has been made.

I think this better describes what is happening in the scene and is much clearer looking at it written down then what I heard in the drama.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, choilicious said:

I (native speaker) have a slightly different take on the meaning of these lines.

Looking at the lines like this, the middle two lines make more sense to me now (and I am guessing it is probably what the writer had in mind when she wrote it).

It is more like this.

좋아해요.  - (formal language) I like you

좋아한다구요, 좋아해. - (formal then banmal) This is what a (mildly) frustrated person would say as an emphasis after the first phrase did not have the reaction that he wanted. This line is more like saying "I am telling you that I like you! I like you a lot!" in English. It would normally be said together in quick succession, and he would use banmal because he wants to express frustration, but I think the actor took some liberty and put a big pause in between two phrases.

좋아해요. - (goes back to formal language) Back to formal since he feels like his point has been made.

I think this better describes what is happening in the scene and is much clearer looking at it written down then what I heard in the drama.

Even though I am not a Korean speaker, but of the 15+ years listening to Korean, I kinda can understand the emotions the actors portray sometimes and I would agree with your interpretation on the middle two lines as that's what I felt when I first heard it. It was almost like putting an emphasis on the fact that he likes her a lot! because he has been frustrated with Song Ah's backing up and pushing him away, as well as her "misunderstanding" him, that he felt the needs to let her know clearly that HE LIKES HER. HE DOES. REALLY. Like that. And because of that urge he needed to express it in banmal as well. 

The only thing is that his last 좋아해요 in formal setting, it's also a bit like his feelings to her is not to be taken lightly and that he needed her to understand how much he likes her, really, that she is a 소중한/precious person to him that he wishes/needed to use formal language to confess? Don't know if that makes sense haha!

12 hours ago, Jillia said:

So the preview gives me sad feelings and happy feelings... I come to the sad feelings later but first of all the cute moment. We might not get another kiss but maybe they will hold hands.:wub:

Source: DCGall

The chemistry in this 0.5 second scene alone is OFF THE CHART really T T

The natural attraction and tension, the intimacy and the heart fluttering, the nervousness by that tiny bit of skinship T T

I really haven't felt this in a very long time that the actor pair truly is having an amazing chemistry and that sparks!!!

10 hours ago, gracebkk said:

Personally, for me, I think what the grandma tried to say is that everything (including love) is not as important as the actions you take now for your future. Although love is a big issue and seen as a very important thing for youths/those in their 20s, when you become older, you'll actually realize that that kind of thing is actually insignificant. As such, it's more important for JY, HH & JK to prioritize their career/future first, and not "love". 

For HH, this meant that he should apply to become a professor in the university even if it meant that he would have to compete with JK (aka the love of his life) because having a status as a professor is more important, and he'll see/reap the benefits in the future. 

For JY, this meant that he has to overcome his feelings of being a burden (since that kind of feeling isn't that big of a deal, according to her).

I agree! This is also what I get from grandma. At the heated moment love seems like the world, but in 10 years, 20 years, 30 years from now, it's all just memories. One should never give up on their own career and professional growth out of love, especially a dying one. 

------------------

Hi all! I am new to the thread but I have been watching the drama since it aired and man I haven't come across a drama I love this hard for a very long time. It touches my soul in so many different ways.

Couple thoughts...

1. I don't hate nor dislike JK or HH. For a well written character that I can understand fully on their motives, I don't blame people for being selfish and may have hurt the people around them along the way, especially at the heated moment and their most miserable time. They are only humans and because us humans are all imperfect, who are we to blame them? They are genuinely nice people that have good intentions. Even for JY, who is the hero of the show, who seems to be pleasing everyone and stuck in the middle, but if you look at it from JK's angle, his actions also had hurt her for years too by not expressing his true feelings, or being brave, or that he carries the burdens quietly on his own. 

We are seeing these beautifully written characters on their journey to become a better person and to grow up and learn, and the clash to help them heal and move forward, and I am here for that.

2. I haven't seen a lonelier back of a character for a long time in the ep 9 preview ;-(
    (Of coz not including those crime mystery thrillers type of dramas where the leads are in ridiculously unfortunate life cos those are more fictional)

3. I also haven't seen such a strong chemistry between the main leads in a very long while. The looks and expressive eyes and facial expressions. The slight movements and body languages. 

4. The acting from the cast is superior. Doon Yoon's actor might be lacking a bit more to show his depth, I hope we will see more of his story soon and give him more chances to showcase his acting skills. But so far, 5 of the 6 leads are nailing every single scene for me!
Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Credit to the owner

Message to JY:

It's OK not to be OK.  You have already taken your first step in expressing and sharing what you are feeling with SA.  Share your "burden" with her too, she's a "strong" woman, she'll understand if you tell her clearly what bothers you. You were lonely before, but not anymore.  She'll appreciate you more and you'll be happier and better mentally.

• Like 7

This two are really nice like an angel with broken wings but you two are welcome to stay on earth and be happy here. I hope people will be less prejudice about others especially its not their business and we need to love ourself 1st since no one will care if we dont.

So Joon Young-ah please share it with Song Ah, let her listening to you and help you and Song Ah, maybe you need to tell Joon Young more for example so he can learn how to share with you :)

quiet long way to go for us enjoying this story but i want to watch till the end without waiting :cutekitty:...but people say, Patient is a POWER!

• Like 5

I love the titles to the episodes, makes me feel like the writer picked all these beautiful music expression words and formed a story around them. I must say first, I never studied music, so I can only infer from the sub definition of the word.

So EP07 is 'INQUIETO' (Eng sub : Restless, unstable, uneasy)
-SA's confession was totally unplanned. She blurted it, with her emotions all over the place. Unstable.. makes my heart unstable as I watched that scene too (PEB is so so good). 
-JY's respond 'Can u wait for me'... If I'm SA, I'll be so confused by this. I just confessed, of course I'll wait, but for how long, for what? The longer he takes, the more restless I'll be come. I have given you my heart, but I have no idea what you are going to do with it. 
-All the cute, sweet awkward meetings n 'dates' sent more mixed signals. (Not that I don't love them, so cute my OTP). But it's really heaven and hell. Cuz every meeting, I'll be anticipating something. My heart will flutter when we meet, it will still flutter after meeting wondering, so what's going on with us, is there something going on with us?... It really causes huge amount of unease.
-JY, as we understand is also going thru a very unstable season of life
I have no comments on the rest of the characters cuz I did not pay much attention to them 

EP08 is 'CON FERMEZZA' (Eng sub : Firmly, clearly)
- I like you (4x), no way to be clearer
- Kiss, unfortunately broken by the piano (curse you, piano), then he firmly grabbing her neck for more kisses (bless you, piano). 

The kiss is all I can think of when I think of EP8.. 
-the way he went for it, the intent was so clear tat I wasn't thinking 'Is he going to kiss her' but I was sure he's going to kiss her..(aaaaaaaaaaahhhh) 
-the way he leans in and moves forward whereby she crashes into the piano (swoopy)
-love the way he then 'grabs' her nape (so man), holding her firmly. Surely that 'peck' was not enough for him, now that he has tasted her lips, he can't stop himself for wanting more. The passion has risen! (fanning myself)
-love the camera work here, where he swoops in so fast, and then we were given a slow mo of his lips touching her lips. so my heartbeat sped up like the camera , then I got to enjoy all the emotions during the slow mo... (clapping, well done)
-the tilting back of her head (I'm guessing it's caused by the pressure from him, heheheheehhehehhe)
-this time round, even as she sat on the keys, nothing can interrupt their kiss.. (it was hard to breath at this point)
-and doesn't he look like he's eating her lips, but she's allowing it... (so hot!) 

like many already said, it's really sensual eventho it's no where near what a passionate kiss would be, this being their first kiss somemore (of their life, as in the character's life, ignoring the NY peck by sourface). Somehow it hits the right points and brings so much feels....... I would say, tat's 'banging on the piano' well done! (yes, you have found me out, I'm a natural born citizen, staying at the last level of Gutterland, occasionally popping out to try and act innocent and decent during the day)

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 3

Do You Like Brahms: Episodes 7-8 Open Thread

by missvictrix

Brahms0708_1.jpg

Feelings are out in the open, but that doesn’t make navigating them any easier. In addition to the complications that come from past relationships, our leads have to cope with the pressures of appearances and perceptions. We’re left with equal measures of heartache and heart-racing swoons — but it’s the perfect balance for a drama that almost feels like a musical composition itself.

EPISODES 7-8 WEECAP

Brahms0708_2.jpg

What makes a drama squee-worthy? It might be something that even the most diehard of fans can’t quantify, but Do You Like Brahms surely has that special something in spades. Is it the chemistry between the actors? The way the writing can do so much with such simple exchanges? Or is it the way the director can pull something magical out of an ordinary moment? Like lunch, for instance.

If you were worried about how our lead characters would fare after that sweet but surprise confession last week, you are not alone. I’ve spent all week not only anticipating Joon-young’s response, but mourning for what feels like the end of Act I in the drama (what with the summer over, the internship concluded, and everyone dispersed from Kyung-hoo). But fear not — Act II proves to be brimming with just as much goodness.

Brahms0708_3A.jpgBrahms0708_3B.jpg

A new fall semester means a new setting, and since this is a drama, after all, that means new sources of antagonism and conflict. There are the classes, lessons, and crucial performances that add stress — but more than that, there’s a lot of pressure that’s heaped on our almost-a-couple-couple this week.

Leading off the conflict, of course, is the huge and horrid scene created by Jung-kyung, where she does her best to rip Hyun-ho’s heart out, and then pulls Joon-young into the madness. Even though she later apologizes for this lie-filled pain she inflicted, it still creates damage. Hyun-ho is reeling from how she’s treating him, and Song-ah is turned upside-down again and again by being exposed to their love triangle problems. But the biggest repercussion might just be with Joon-young — this feels like the final straw for him. If he had been trying to let go of Jung-kyung before, now he’s truly ready.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/09/do-you-like-brahms-episodes-7-8-open-thread/

• Like 6
  • Wiggle 1

2 hours ago, ahbling said:

I love the titles to the episodes, makes me feel like the writer picked all these beautiful music expression words and formed a story around them. I must say first, I never studied music, so I can only infer from the sub definition of the word.

So EP07 is 'INQUIETO' (Eng sub : Restless, unstable, uneasy)
-SA's confession was totally unplanned. She blurted it, with her emotions all over the place. Unstable.. makes my heart unstable as I watched that scene too (PEB is so so good). 
-JY's respond 'Can u wait for me'... If I'm SA, I'll be so confused by this. I just confessed, of course I'll wait, but for how long, for what? The longer he takes, the more restless I'll be come. I have given you my heart, but I have no idea what you are going to do with it. 
-All the cute, sweet awkward meetings n 'dates' sent more mixed signals. (Not that I don't love them, so cute my OTP). But it's really heaven and hell. Cuz every meeting, I'll be anticipating something. My heart will flutter when we meet, it will still flutter after meeting wondering, so what's going on with us, is there something going on with us?... It really causes huge amount of unease.
-JY, as we understand is also going thru a very unstable season of life
I have no comments on the rest of the characters cuz I did not pay much attention to them 

EP08 is 'CON FERMEZZA' (Eng sub : Firmly, clearly)
- I like you (4x), no way to be clearer
- Kiss, unfortunately broken by the piano (curse you, piano), then he firmly grabbing her neck for more kisses (bless you, piano). 

The kiss is all I can think of when I think of EP8.. 
-the way he went for it, the intent was so clear tat I wasn't thinking 'Is he going to kiss her' but I was sure he's going to kiss her..(aaaaaaaaaaahhhh) 
-the way he leans in and moves forward whereby she crashes into the piano (swoopy)
-love the way he then 'grabs' her nape (so man), holding her firmly. Surely that 'peck' was not enough for him, now that he has tasted her lips, he can't stop himself for wanting more. The passion has risen! (fanning myself)
-love the camera work here, where he swoops in so fast, and then we were given a slow mo of his lips touching her lips. so my heartbeat sped up like the camera , then I got to enjoy all the emotions during the slow mo... (clapping, well done)
-the tilting back of her head (I'm guessing it's caused by the pressure from him, heheheheehhehehhe)
-this time round, even as she sat on the keys, nothing can interrupt their kiss.. (it was hard to breath at this point)
-and doesn't he look like he's eating her lips, but she's allowing it... (so hot!) 

like many already said, it's really sensual eventho it's no where near what a passionate kiss would be, this being their first kiss somemore (of their life, as in the character's life, ignoring the NY peck by sourface). Somehow it hits the right points and brings so much feels....... I would say, tat's 'banging on the piano' well done! (yes, you have found me out, I'm a natural born citizen, staying at the last level of Gutterland, occasionally popping out to try and act innocent and decent during the day)

I have to applaud you regarding the minute details you noticed regarding the epic showdown. But I want to add more.

The way he was holding her shoulders also screams the episode’s name: clearly, firmly. He held her there firmly, not caring even if the piano crashed. I love the fact that this place (I mean, where a piano is involved. Not exactly the same place) is where they had their most intimate moments. 

1. The first time they met was near a piano, when the conductor demeaned her and Joon Young broke the concentration by bumping the keys (yet another coincidence?)

2. When they officially met, it was near the piano when both of them came to practice at the same time.

3. Song Ah was Joon Young’s page turner, which seemed very intimate because she was watching him breathe.

4. When Joon Young played happy birthday to her (which is one of my favorite moments so far because of the way it played out. He wanted to wish her but he did it in the best way he could, with music) and the hug that followed.

5. When he gave the DVD with the comment “I’m sorry I took so long” implying him coming to Song Ah and that he’s sorry he took so long to come to her.

6. The Kiss. THE. KISS. Need I say more?

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

yes, I found it.

In EP8, JK aka sourface but pretty good teacher... shared her reasons for kissing JY in NY.. she's jealous etc etc. (Atho, I cannot wrap my head around why you would kiss someone because you are jealous. Does not compute.. jealous+scare the person I'm jealous will think less of me=I must kiss the person so they will think more of me?? :huh: but I hv better 'kisses' to think about so yup not giving this another second of my thoughts)

So in EP2, where SA was buying coffee and overheard the conversation between JY n JK, she was narrating that she found out later that JK kiss JY because she was jealous.. 

Sooooo, means they talked about this? they will talk about this and other things? else how will SA know? Dear JY, share with her, don't bottle it all up inside you.. There's hope that he will share more with her right?? 

I'm not prepared for the angst tat I know will but I hope will not come in the coming ep.. but so far, this show has been giving me angst (with lots of sweet honey) tat squeezed my heart the right way, pls don't change the formula.

• Like 6

I am not sure the jealousy was the romantic sort of jealousy feeling.

It was because Joon Young was on the stage and being loved by everyone. And she was irrationally feeling that her own feelings of inadequacy and ? lower level of musical skills and was jealous of his fame and confidence in his own worth.

She has been shown all drama to be or to have not fulfilled her potential. Failed to get a teaching position in an American university. Failed her childhood prodigy potential. Struggling to find her place in the musical stage.

And here Joon Young was seemingly successful in his field, confident and has a place in the music world.

Like she kissed him thinking that he would make her feel better, have worth just because he likes her. Or she knew he liked her. And Hyeon Ho was physically away- long distance romance- and not there to comfort her.

This has been one of the most illogical argument I've ever written. You guys have learnt about presenting an argument right? To argue a point in your essay or presenting a paper?

My post is not logical. My point is that Jung Kyung was not in a logical frame of mind when she flew into New York. She had her application rejection- she has finished her PhD, Hyeon Ho and their long term relationship and future direction dilemma, her professional frustrations with her music, did she want to go back to South Korea? 

Then we have Park Joon Young. Playing at a concert. Being praised and loved. Some people think that being with a certain someone or having that seemingly in a better placed person love them; will make the person clinging on feel better. About themselves.

So yeah my logic is not organised on this post. And I guess I can organise it better if I thought more about this but hahaha I want to start episode 3 of Graceful Family. 

And since I am not in Uni having my paper graded have not organised my thoughts into a premise, argument and conclusion format.

Some of you would have spent more thoughts on Jung Kyung? I haven't. I just saw a lot of belated regrets and loss in episode 8. And I don't care enough about her to organise my thoughts on her motive.

However I have rewatched the cafetaria scene in the preview about 10 times. Take a wild guess who I am interested in instead.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Thanks for sharing the gifs @Jillia. Mannnn... After looking at the second gif, I really really really want JY to feel jealous towards DY. So far, we've only seen SA being jealous/upset about JY's closeness towards JK. There needs to be a scene (or more) where JY feels jealous because of DY's closeness with SA! 

We'll get this scene right...?? I mean.... During Park Eunbin's birthday, she uploaded a video of her and DY talking on the dining table full of bottles (before Kim Minjae & Bae Dabin (MS)) surprised her with a cake). I'm guessing they were filming a scene of SA & DY having a heart-to-heart talk then, so I'm sure we're still going to see scenes that shows DY & SA's closeness. Right...??

:please:

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

Like she kissed him thinking that he would make her feel better, have worth just because he likes her. Or she knew he liked her. And Hyeon Ho was physically away- long distance romance- and not there to comfort her.

Sorry to cut your post. :) This! After reading your post, I think this makes most sense as to why JK suddenly kissed JY. Maybe that's why JK wants to hold on to JY no matter what happens – because his "superior" status makes her feel better and "worth more" (in her own twisted way).

This is very different from SA, as she felt steadily felt more worthless as dating rumours started to spread and her position in music stayed at an all-time low (last chair in the orchestra). But unlike JK that continued to string along JY, SA told JY about her worries, which of course made JY mad. Because of this, JY now knows how SA feels, leading us to that awesome confession and kiss scene (although someone really needs to teach that guy how to treat a girl correctly. I mean, why would he start the conversation by saying that he's going to accompany JK during JK's recital if he came to confess??!?! That guy... Made my blood boil for the first few minutes!!) 

So I definitely did not think you're writing an illogical post. Instead, I felt this was a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! :D 

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

Some of you would have spent more thoughts on Jung Kyung? I haven't. I just saw a lot of belated regrets and loss in episode 8. And I don't care enough about her to organise my thoughts on her motive.

However I have rewatched the cafetaria scene in the preview about 10 times. Take a wild guess who I am interested in instead.

And don't worry about this. I'm sure most are watching this drama mainly for our Dimple Couple (even though we also care about our supporting characters, albeit not as much as SA & JY). ;) At least I am. :D 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Everything that I wanted to say about episode 7 and 8 has been said in this forum, aaaaand I'm also hung up on that last scene *squeals*, sooooo no long comment for now.

Just wanted to share this! I saw a photo posted by Park Eun Bin's agency (Namoo Actors), and Song Ah has a different (i think it's different, the violin case she has now is white) violin case. [i saw the photo on instagram, and song ah is wearing a red dress; can't link the photo for some reason, sorry!] Her violin case in the photo was silver! 

Will there be a time skip? Ooor maybe the case is a gift from Joon Young. Whatever the reason, there's a lot we can look forward to when it comes to our Dimple Couple! Yay!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4