[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

Another interview by the writer: (there are 4 posts about the interview in this twitter thread. She talks about what she wanted to show in the drama and about Park Eunbin & Kim Minjae)

Spoiler

Edited by gracebkk
added one more part of the interview
  • Like 8

Wow,  I really like your insights. Thank you as well for saying the differences in the way JY confessed his "I like you"'s...

I understood there was slight differences in the same expression, but I don't know Korean, so... your explanation confirmed what I suspected..

I hope from now on they start to talk banmal with each other

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Jillia said:

"...And oh dear if Joon Young doesn't start off his confession in the most weird way by saying he will accompany Jung Kyung, even though it his way to say "there is nothing between me and Jung Kyung". And then the confession happens and oh dear if the English subtitles don't do this confession justice...

좋아해요.  - I like you. (formal language)

좋아한다구요. - I like you. (the ending emphasizes Joon Young's feelings as in "I like you!", it's more like a statement)

좋아해. - I like you. (Banmal/informal language)

좋아해요. - I like you. (goes back to formal language)

This gets a bit lost in translation in the English subtitles. :D But in the end it all leads to the wonderful kiss. And now that I've rewatched the episode I don't think Joon Young acted, so Song Ah wouldn't run. But I still think these two will have a lot to work through in the upcoming episodes since especially Joon Young still got a lot on his plate about what he doesn't talk about..."

Thanks for pointing these jondaemal (formal) vs. banmal (informal) permutations out, @Jillia !

You've given us more insight to the nuances of Joon Young's confession that English has truly failed to deliver after it's been translated! :D 

Would like your thoughts on his confession: what's your interpretation as to why he oscillates between jondaemal - banmal - jondaemal speech?

Wouldn't it be more apt if it ends with banmal to bridge the gap and signify that he's ready to be closer to her? Am I not understanding something in this context? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I was planning on saying so many things but after seeing the kiss I forgot everything I was planning to say. I mean can you blame me? That was one of the most picturesquely beautiful and cinematically appealing kisses I’ve seen in 2020. 

So anyway the dialogue before the kiss echoed “It’s Okay To Not Be Okay”, with “I like you” instead of the aggressive “I love you”. And the most interesting thing about the Dimple Couple is the actors were building up their chemistry to go with a bang when the time comes. And I believe it actually worked. No one expected for the shy not-a-couple to kiss at all (Joon Young was practically eating her up), keep away like that. Remember how they shied away when their hands accidentally touched? And I already know that Kim Min Jae is a good kisser. I’ve seen his kissing experiences. What’s more interesting is that they’re not kissing like how an American couple would kiss, but how into each other they were while kissing. That’s what made it extremely special.

I wish to say more about the two episodes, especially about Jung Kyung’s pathetic showdown and how free Hyeon Ho is now that he got closure, or the fact that Jung Kyung would actually be a good teacher and how she might be getting interested in her ex once again. But I lost all faith I had about Jung Kyung after she lied through her teeth about sleeping with Joon Young. And in front of him as well?! How can anyone even THINK of lying like that? And I don’t even want to spend a second of my life talking about her. The writers might think of redeeming her later on, but so far, I don’t like her and I want her shipped off to China or somewhere, where she can’t come in between our Dimple Couple again.

I also want to speak about Hyeon Ho. I used to like him at first because he is one of my favorite actors and his portrayal of a heartbroken boy just crushed my heart. But he is also extremely selfish. He only thinks about himself and how he would look in front of Jung Kyung’s eyes. He has forgotten the fact that Joon Young considers him a best friend and that that same best friend gave up his first love because he values his friendship a lot. Hyeon Ho might not be directly affecting Joon Young’s life, but he is extremely selfish and doesn’t want to listen to Joon Young’s side of the story.

One thing I noticed in the previous episodes is how Joon Young keeps trying to close his cupboard with all his USA stuff in it. He has been trying for some episodes to close it but had a hard time like he’s afraid to say goodbye to the memories he used to have. But once he got it closed he walked upto Song Ah and gave her the signed DVD saying “I’m sorry I was late” basically saying he’s sorry he took so long to come to her, to receive her love and to love her back. It’s just something I noted in the previous episode and I didn’t get the time to say it because my OTP decided to kiss and melt my brain.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

Good morning everyone!!

@Jillia the switch between the informal and formal “i like you” from JY to SA...does this indicate the level of intimacy in how he changes his tone of the words? 

@heartoppaya hahaha! I am still like that too. I feel like i have more things to say then that kiss melts it all away and all i can think of is the dang KISS again:lol: 

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 2

3 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Sorry for getting back so late. :D

It's actually difficult to understand when you're not Korean (I'm not Korean myself). I think certain things are difficult to translate especially when it's about conveying a feeling through language. Every language has these little untranslatable words or sayings which only people who are born in the country and grow up with the language know how to feel and how to interpret. But I think the subtitles for the drama are not sincere and not able to relay what Joon Young is actually feeling.

The Korean viewers are very much in love with his confession because he really MEANS what he is saying. He IS deeply in love or VERY deeply likes Song Ah.

A very simple but maybe better translation would be:

I like you.

I DO like you.

I like you a lot.

I like you.

And even then the English language isn't really able to show how Joon Young feels about Song Ah. As Cha In Young said Joon Young always thinks of other people first, so to think of himself first in this moment and to say this shows he is has been overflowing with love for Song Ah. Which is shown how he switches back and forth between banmal (informal language) and jondaemal (formal language). That's at least my interpretation. Not sure if it makes sense though. :D

I was thinking maybe he was doubting her feelings and that’s why he switched to formal again? He said it in formal first then switched to informal and finally back to formal like asking for permission? To maybe kiss her? 

He don’t need to ask my permission if he wants to kiss me like THAT. That’s for sure. *flails in horny*

• Like 1
  • Naughty 2

Lmao. I saw a comment saying that our boy is wildin’ cuz he made his woman wait too long. I think he wanted to give her the worth of waiting for too long. Lmao. I’m wildin’ here now.

:twerk2:

1 minute ago, Jillia said:

kkk

He also can get angry more in my opinion. :lol:

Source: DCGall

Why does he look super sexy when he’s mad tho? That’s unfair.

• LOL 2

@Jillia lol, i agree that the english subs itself doesn’t do the confession justice when the Korean language stresses on the switch of formal-informal-formal. All I got was 4x of “I like you” which to me in English feels like a simple confession. However, even for a non-speaker Korean like me, it was in the tone of JY that emphasizes how much he actually likes SA. It’s like a confession then a reassurance that he likes her a lot. In other words, what you wrote here:

9 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I like you.

I DO like you.

I like you a lot.

I like you.

this simple translation speaks more than the simple “i like you” within the subs we got. Either way, I also know informal language is exchanged between closer people whereas formal is used in a more polite, professional way (kind of like how we would talk to our elders vs how we talk to our lovers). So definitely, as you pointed out, when JY switched to banmal, it became more intimate and closer than how they have been talking to each other. Then the kiss that followed..sealed it all. It spoke all the sensuality of the confession itself. 

:omg:

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Did you guys see the lie detector thing? Park Ji Hyun (Jung Kyung) asked a question from Kim Min Jae (Joon Young) while he was wearing the lie detector thing:

PJH: Did your heart ever race when you were shooting with Park Eun Bin?

KMJ: No

PEB: (softly) I’m upset 

a few seconds later the lie detector shocked him—

HIS HEART RACED WHEN HE WAS FILMING WITH PARK EUN BIN OMG MY SHIP IS SHIPPING IN REAL LIFE TOO IMMA GO DIE BYE

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, heartoppaya said:

Did you guys see the lie detector thing? Park Ji Hyun (Jung Kyung) asked a question from Kim Min Jae (Joon Young) while he was wearing the lie detector thing:

HIS HEART RACED WHEN HE WAS FILMING WITH PARK EUN BIN OMG MY SHIP IS SHIPPING IN REAL LIFE TOO IMMA GO DIE BYE

Could you share me the link? Is it in the interview?

@heartoppaya Are you sure it's a mistake? Not that you're telling us to rewatch the kiss scene again? (not that I have anything against it. I'm all for it!!!! woohooo :coolshades:) hahahaha. just joking. :P 

Just fyi, there's also a subbed version of that interview clip on Instagram (IG: forurfeels). This account also subs all the making videos, which is awesome for a non-Korean like me! :D 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

11 minutes ago, gracebkk said:

@heartoppaya Are you sure it's a mistake? Not that you're telling us to rewatch the kiss scene again? (not that I have anything against it. I'm all for it!!!! woohooo) hahahaha. just joking. :P 

Just fyi, there's also a subbed version of that interview clip on Instagram (IG: forurfeels). This account also subs all the making videos, which is awesome for a non-Korean like me! :D 

Oh there are no promises..... 

:smort:

Edited by heartoppaya
Accidentally quoted pictures
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

"...The Korean viewers are very much in love with his confession because he really MEANS what he is saying. He IS deeply in love or VERY deeply likes Song Ah.

I like you.

I DO like you.

I like you a lot.

I like you.

And even then the English language isn't really able to show how Joon Young feels about Song Ah. As Cha In Young said Joon Young always thinks of other people first, so to think of himself first in this moment and to say this shows he is has been overflowing with love for Song Ah. Which is shown how he switches back and forth between banmal (informal language) and jondaemal (formal language). That's at least my interpretation. Not sure if it makes sense though. :D..."

@Jillia Thanks! Your perspective was definitely insightful! :) 

It's times like these where I wished I were a native speaker in order to truly understand the nuances in his feelings when he switched between jondaemal vs. banmal...

Regardless, as you've pointed out,  those 4 lines of 'I Love You' already speaks volume about his immense feels towards Song Ah.

To be so out of (his introverted) character, exposing and baring his heart to Song Ah in his confession like that - it really accentuates Joon Young's growing love for her. Ahhh my heart :heart:  

May I also say that both Kim Min-jae and Park Eun-bin's acting chops and chemistry are really shining through in this drama.   :love: 

I've always liked both actor & actress, but seeing them emote their feels on DYLB made me ship them even more! 

48 minutes ago, heartoppaya said:

"...Did you guys see the lie detector thing? Park Ji Hyun (Jung Kyung) asked a question from Kim Min Jae (Joon Young) while he was wearing the lie detector thing:

HIS HEART RACED WHEN HE WAS FILMING WITH PARK EUN BIN OMG MY SHIP IS SHIPPING IN REAL LIFE TOO IMMA GO DIE BYE..."

29 minutes ago, gracebkk said:

"...Just fyi, there's also a subbed version of that interview clip on Instagram (IG: forurfeels). This account also subs all the making videos, which is awesome for a non-Korean like me! :D ..."

WOOT! Thanks for sharing, @heartoppaya and @gracebkk !  That lie detector scene was hiiiilarrrrrious!

Awww, Kim Min-jae's heart did flutter a bit for Park Eun-bin :love:

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

Just finished 2 episodes and here I am reading all of your posts....

I find the kiss gifs, clips, pics everywhere :joy:

This week episodes is like roller coaster to me..

Why do I never have doubts that JY like SA a lot? He never genuinely happily smile from first episode except when he is with SA..as for his feelings for JK I think is not there anymore even before he meet SA..he just have this feeling lingering because he never admit it or make closure about it which he couldn't do because HH. So at Talk show when JY told about his feelings to JK it was like closure and he finally can move on even it didn't solve their messy friendship. 

It's sad to see this trio have confrontation and get misunderstood esp HH, but it could be start to straight up things. I think JY and HH have to have honest conversation..JY denied that he and JK slept together but he couldn't answer when HH asked if he like her and HH misunderstood that JY start to like her after HH and JK dating. It's just happened that HH pursued JK first and JY just realize his feelings then. And also it's fact that JY lie about New York incident but hey how do you wish him to tell HH about it.. I hope they can mend their friendship.

JY is sure care a lot about SA, he didn't want her to misunderstood about JK but yet he can't said for sure about it which is frustrating for SA. I am glad he finally confess to SA (and I don't think that's because of he want easy get away from JK problem, but just because he like her a lot and ready for it) and the kiss...why I do think that is because he is frustrating about SA who still can't see his feelings for her, that he's trying hard to go her

SA is sure feeling insecure and start to losing confident in this two episodes..it's been so many times she's looked down about her talent, last in class..she endure it all this times because it's just about herself before but now it concern with JY too. Not only the rumours, but to see how good JK at violin it give her more mental breakdown..but I am glad SA and JY talk about it even not have good ending (it's refreshing to see JY got mad about level and status issues and actually say it out loud) I hope SA will gain her confident again. She play music because she love it so much.

And JK..ah I see many are not fond of her .. I do really hope she could be profesor at college (because there are no NORMAL professors there, three of them only care about themselves and their statuses)..maybe she could interact more with SA and help her get better at violin or maybe she could find his genius touch again while watching SA who genuinely love playing her violin. 

But i am curious, why JK is so attached to mother death? Is there any other incident? I can understand she is so young when that happens but it's already 15 years right, but it seems still affected her so much. Her grandmother is not affectionate type and business minded and she seem not close with her father. It's why she depend a lot on HH and JY? I see she tried to opened up to her grandmother and father but not really working I guess (but her father is not as cold as I thought)

She finally tell JY why she kiss him at NY but I remember at early episode SA inner monologue already told us (anyone has idea why they give that monologue?)

I like how they show HH family..he has warm family who support him wholeheartedly..it's something that JY and JK don't have.  

But what bother me is JK grandmother and Cha Young In conversation at hospital and grandma said something like "Once it passed by, love is not big deal either" is it like spoiler at how the love story will end? Is open ending still trend in dramaland? If they are going to make them just staring each other on distance after years then I'll stop at episode 8..

To think about it all of them have one sided love and most because of the timing.

JY to JK, he realised (or admit) it just after JJ date HH

SA to DY, she fall for him after DY and MS date then break up

DY to SA, he confessed to late but maybe he will be rejected anyway 

HH to JK, hmm I wondering is he being one sided for whole 10 years?

MS to DY, they date then break up but I guess DY already like SA at that time but didn't realize..

SA to JY, no just kidding..to me they just like each other a lot at perfect timing

Did I write too long? I am so sorry for this long post..

Let's just enjoy the sweet moments before embracing the storms at next episodes

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Just_Me said:

But what bother me is JK grandmother and Cha Young In conversation at hospital and grandma said something like "Once it passed by, love is not big deal either" is it like spoiler at how the love story will end? Is open ending still trend in dramaland? If they are going to make them just staring each other on distance after years then I'll stop at episode 8..

Sorry to cut your post.

Personally, for me, I think what the grandma tried to say is that everything (including love) is not as important as the actions you take now for your future. Although love is a big issue and seen as a very important thing for youths/those in their 20s, when you become older, you'll actually realize that that kind of thing is actually insignificant. As such, it's more important for JY, HH & JK to prioritize their career/future first, and not "love". 

For HH, this meant that he should apply to become a professor in the university even if it meant that he would have to compete with JK (aka the love of his life) because having a status as a professor is more important, and he'll see/reap the benefits in the future. 

For JY, this meant that he has to overcome his feelings of being a burden (since that kind of feeling isn't that big of a deal, according to her).

So don't worry about being afraid to watch ep9 onwards! I don't think the writer will do that to us (or at least I hope so.. hehehe :D ). And if they do end up doing that (which I highly doubt), let's drown together in this DYLB hole! 

:wut:

Edited by gracebkk
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1