[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

@larus thank you for sharing the article about KMJ’s interview! I love his thoughts and what he said :cutekitty:

@Jillia I love the photos of JY in the Brahms CD so I’m glad that SBS released official stills :wub:

I’m so sad that this drama is over... I still need to watch episode 16 with subs so I’m not done with this drama yet! Plus I need to do a rewatch of the whole drama :D Maybe skipping all the parts with Prof. sister and prof. lee hehe...

@tenten0227 I’m really wondering the same thing too... I really like this drama and want to support but $200 is just too much for me :brokenheart:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, debbsthebee said:

@Jillia@minsunie thanks for compiling the classical pieces. I love that so much thought went into selecting the pieces for the show. Still trying to recover and like many have been listening to the soundtrack. My favourite is widmung and i wanted to share kissin's beautiful interpretation with everyone. Count me in for any rewatch party!

Also how could they cut out JY going jewellery shopping?!!

Wow thank you for sharing this interpretation!!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Agree, we need re-watch to decode the bits and crumbs of this lovely drama. I'm giddy thinking Dimple Couple took sageuk-inspired before the proposal scene. Thank you again for the link to all the photos @YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ.

Classy 2mm platinum rings, love that detail @Raynaa 

:wow1:

@ck1Oz I like the idea of a midday trip with kids, with hanboks, walks and photos with the kids, weather is cool enough. Also appreciate your thoughts about being musicians and parents. Made me think of my mom who liked listening to many kinds of music like classical, musicals, pop, etc. She brought us to concerts and the ballet. In university, I got into theater, found myself liking it and working into jobs like Song Ah did. So give  art and music a try, good for the soul too :) 

@larus@Jillia Thank you for keeping us posted on new pics and articles as always! Photo of Joon Young getting into a car make me think if it's Director Nah? or that JK !!??!!! 

@Sky8lue I think it will be fun to go through your dedicated twitter account for DYLB! And your new "thought cards", thank you! 

:loveu:

Offering a view point on Jung Kyung (I come in peace :)

I have begun thinking of Jung Kyung as a broken violin and being a violin tutor would be her crescendo moment.

In the scene with Dong Yoon about broken violins and bridges, Hyeun Ho learns that Jung Kyung has been "disowned" by Prof. Song. Dong Yoon also says fixing broken violins may be difficult, slow but not impossible. 

I was boiling mad when Jung Kyung said "you need my money" to Joon Young. Slapping her was not enough. I will admit now I had this idea of 

:kicks:

Spoiler

tearing her to pieces, box and ship her off to space maybe send her into exile (very sageuk!), where she can never bother anyone nor be heard from again. :D

In the finale, Jung Kyung has started dressing and having makeup up in warm color palettes. When a girl gets prettied up, I see that as a sign of life and credit her to putting herself back together, that is, before she goes on her apology tour. 

I appreciate Junk Kyung being headstrong when it comes to protecting and encouraging the vulnerable artist. How she asks Joon Young not to quit piano, teach the young violinist and speak to the mother, advise Song Ah during master class are a few examples. She is like mama bear fighting for her cubs!

Closing the cycle: What I also find meaningful is after the musical trio tribute to Director Nah, Joon Young returns the blue Mendelssohn music book to Jung Kyung to finally cut the last toxic tie between them (Joon Young already has Song Ah's warm brown handkerchief and has deleted Traumerie in his piano routine).

This parallels to an earlier flash back scene where we find them in middle school. Joon Young asks Jung Kyung to join the musical trio for the chamber orchestra school competition. After winning 1st place, Joon Young was giving back the blue music book to Jung Kyung, to which she replied he can keep it.

I think Hyeun Ho returns as an old friend and colleague to Jung Kyung, as they meet in a backstage dressing room. He will always have a special spot for her in his heart, like a first love but he certainly knows his boundaries. (Dressing room-isn't that the new code for reunion?)

(Aside, Dong Yoon and Hyeun Ho is the drama's "bromance" :)

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 5

Re-watching the end of ep 3 where Joon-young plays Moonlight Sonata and happy birthday for Song-ah has me clutching my heart at how beautiful this moment was. The way he spoke to her through music to console her, one of top most beautiful and heart-wrenching moments in the drama. I'm gonna have terrible withdrawals now that it's ended :sad1:

• Like 13
  • Awesome 1

A day after watching the last episode and I can not still get over the entire drama. I'm not as eloquent as most posters here and you all have already said what I also want to say and more beautifully than I ever could.  So let me just say I enjoyed the entire journey with all of you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, the beautiful stills and gifs and of course to all those who did the live recaps. I'm so glad to have found this thread and "met" all of you. This drama will always have a special place in this introvert's heart. :fullofhearts:

• Like 5
  • Love 8
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been putting off watching the last 2 episodes with subs because I don't want to say goodbye yet! 

I really wish they'd give us the ring shopping scene as an extra :(

I thought the ending was quite complete , but seeing the pictures made me realise , we haven't heard Joon Yong's narration since episode 2 where he talks about his feelings for JK  and maybe this would have given us a peek into his head and made things more complete ..

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2

I love the fact that despite SA and JY going through a breakup, they are still honest/open with each other and true about their feelings. I think we did see at least this between the two of them, although they didn’t fully speak of their troubles.

1. For example, when they finally speak to each other after separating and met at the funeral for JK’s grandma, SA tells JY that she changed her piece to Brahms and she is going to quit playing the violin to end her one-sided love.

2. Later on we see JY tell SA that he loves her and wants to tell her this and not regret it, but also because he wants to follow his heart and think of himself.

3. SA tells JY that she got into graduate school but isn’t going to register for any classes. Then JY gives SA his recital ticket and tells her that he isn’t going to enter the competition and wants to play the piano freely..

4. JY telling SA that he wants to play Brahms more...

5. SA saying that she came to his piano recital as a friend but she can’t be that kind of friend with him (and we know what happens next ;))

• Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1

still thinking about this drama, and may i add that the scene of JY writing SA's name on the poster was so nice, in parallel with him tearing the seating arrangement off in one of the episodes, at that point i think he was afraid that he would hurt her by being so talented, but at the end he felt so proud of where she is and not afraid of overshadowing her, that respect o m g m y h e a r t <3

another metaphor which just caught up to me was the message of how JY always communicate through music, it was there in the first few episodes all the way to last. he wrote his love letter for her in his recital. omg how am finally understanding this now. this show really, i think i need a few weeks to slowly pen down all these special moments. 

• Like 5
  • Love 7
  • Insightful 5

I want to say I was such an emotional wreck when I finished this series - but wrecked in a good way!!! Haha, I don't ever cry from movies, but I was like - all the feelings!! It's probably because the two series I was watching both ended this week and it was 2/2 happy endings. I was not sure how this ending would go and would have accepted a realistic open ending for this series, but I was pleasantly surprised and super happy about most of the super sweet ending for this show. :love:

Episode 16 (Finale) comments - PART 1

- I liked that the last episode started with JY telling SA his true feeling again. It just felt like it was the beginning of hope again after a long period of sadness and doubt for the two of them. As for the responses, I liked that SA didn't just accept his feelings so easily, but told him to wait. Not as revenge or a punishment (though it did was a mirroring of his earlier actions), but because having spent time away from her own relationship, SA could see that she also had to take responsibility for her own actions and feelings and she was a part of the reason she felt bad herself. Yay for self-awareness and development! :heartxoxo:

-I was a little worried when the doorbell rang at JY's house that it would be JK not respecting his space again...but was glad it was HH. To be honest, their fight early on over JK meant that it didn't feel like HH and JY were really good friends in this series? So it was nice to tie up that end and at least make it seem like they were on the road to recovery. 

-On the other end with JK, I'm glad that JK finally stop meddling and realised the right person for her was HH who had always put up with her messy personality. I'm also glad SA put in the work to get over JK. I think JK was able to get between JY and SA because of JY's confused past feelings, but also because of SA's insecurities and her feelings that JK was perfect and better than her in looks, talent, wealth, history with JY etc etc...But that's why I really liked that scene where HN told SA about JK losing her position by Professor Song - I think it helped SA to see that even if people appear perfect, they can still have their dreams crushed. Being an empathetic person, it also helped SA to reach out to JK and I liked where their relationship ended - in mutual respect for one another. :cutekitty:

-So happy that SA got into her grad program, but also so happy she choose not to accept it. Sometimes that is the harder path - to reject something that looks like an opportunity, but really isn't right for you! But she set out to achieve a goal and she did it, which is what really mattered.

:fullofhearts:

-The scene that touched me the most in this episode was not a SA-JY scene (though they made me the happiest!) but the scene where she was offered the job at Kyunghoo Foundation. Maybe it's a personal thing because I also work in the arts/culture sector, but that workplace looked perfect for SA with such kind and supportive staff (since the annoying Mr Park left). And it's be a place where she could still conect with music. It actually reminds me of where I work and Cha Young In & team remind me of my own team. I can't say I'm like SA (where is my JY??? ) but I can definitely identify with her insecurities - I've also asked the exact same question before - what if I wasn't good at the job and have gotten a similarly supportive response, so I could understand just how comforting those words would have been to her. Sometimes even if your job isn't your dream job, having good people around you makes the job worthwhile and enjoyable. It's better for SA to be in an events job with this team than a grad program with those evil professors who would have made her feel worthless...

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Excerpts of my favourite parts of the article:

"To describe the drama, Park Eun Bin chose the word “talent.” She said, “There’s a saying that vaguely having talent for something is tragic. I related to that. Being vague means that one is not exactly good enough to dominate in that field nor bad enough to give up. 

Park Eun Bin shared that she had felt this way toward acting. “I thought a lot about what my talent could be. But once I see how I’ve held on and continued acting without getting tired of it, I think persevering is a talent too."

"On the drama’s conclusion, Park Eun Bin commented, “Even though we’ve said that the drama is about the process of finding happiness, there were a lot of people who thought the drama had a sad ending. I thought that it was a happy ending where everyone could agree that they’d found their own path to happiness.

She added, “Among the viewers who supported Chae Song Ah on her search for happiness, I think there are people who began to do so after finding similarities between themselves and Chae Song Ah. I thought that their hopes for Chae Song Ah to be happy was like their own happiness, and I’d say that these viewers were most likely satisfied with the ending.”

Deoksugung Stone Wall Walkway was used as the backdrop for so many scenes:

1) JY's solitary walk - phone call to SA

2) JY-SA first walk together

3) SA's solitary walk - feeling down after seeing JK leave JY's apartment building

4) JY's solitary walk - post break-up

5)  JY-SA's second walk together - during the "waiting" period that SA requested from JY

6)  JY-SA's third walk together - a date under the cherry blossoms in spring

7)  (Bonus) JY's Brahms album cover was photographed here too ;)

img.gif

Gif source: https://twitter.com/star___heart/status/1319150299999686657

@rozelan Thanks for reading my twitter thread! There are many dedicated DYLB accounts out there; mine is merely a small thread. Will have to do a rewatch to pick up details that were missed!

• Like 1
  • Love 14
  • Thanks 2

Episode 16 (Finale) comments - PART 2

-Another scene I really liked was the scene with her mum. Throughout the series, she didn't seem that close to her mum. But it was nice to see their conversation reveal that typical Asian parent worry - she was always worried about SA going down this road because she knew that it would be tough and she was frustrated that she couldn't protect her or change her mind about it. But I liked that she knew JY had was able to do that for SA and helped to encourage that reunion between them. :love:

- And now I have to talk about all those lovely signs of affection from JY and SA because those are obviously the best parts of the ending. THAT KISS. Everything leading up to that kiss was perfect. I loved how JY wasn't sure if SA had come to that performance. And that he was so nervous when he thought she was knocking on the door, then so crestfallen when he saw it wasn't her. Then when it was her, he had such a heartfelt look of joy and hope. And then he was so eager to let her know that he had used her program, that everything had been a misunderstanding because he was over the past, and he wanted her to know, using their language of music that he loved her. This is the stuff of a Jane Austen novel. :fullofhearts:

- I also loved how 'mean' SA was to say that she came as a friend because JY looked so completely crushed when she said that, but then so completely stunned and dazed when she said she loved him. I have to say, making KMJ repeat all his confessions at least 3 times each was very effective like a spell! He has a nice voice, so it made that scene all the more better. Thank god this series has not had those old school frozen kisses! They shot it from such lovely angles -from how he pulled her towards him and from her having her arms around him. And they kissed twice in such a dreamy way :smooches2::7555_attack:

-Also backhugs are so damn cute. I don't know why I feel like that's the ultimate sign of affection. But I died when they hugged in that music room before graduation happened. And that wordless proposal was perfect because JY and SA have never needed to say a lot to understand each other's moods and temperaments. :love:

-I know that a lot of people wanted SA to succeed with her violin, but I think this was a story about someone finding themselves, not about becoming an expert at something. It was a story about trying something and learning about oneself from that experience. It was also about picking oneself up again when hitting rock bottom. It was a story about having the courage to live life without falling into other's expectations and changing one's mind if the the choice feels right. And Lastly, even if your dreams don't come true in the way you originally wanted, it's not the end of the world, you will find new hobbies and interests and goals. I think we could all be reminded of these things, but this is especially important in Korean culture which has such a focus on perfection, the ultimate root of depression. But I do think that doing music school was a good experience for SA since she met JY out of it! :sparklyeyes:

-Ironically I guess Professor Lee was kind of right that SA was going to be really helpful to her husband!  Some might see that as not very feminist (and I do think that Asian shows have some element of promoting traditional roles), but I saw the whole message as SA finding things that were right for her. And if her job involved some elements of managing her husband's travel plans, why not? JY would also never treat her as a secretary, as Director Nah pointed out 

- Like all dramas, nothing is ever perfect. I do agree with some people who felt it was a little rushed at the end and that some problems dragged out for weeks suddenly felt easy to resolve. The 2 mains things were: If it was so easy for JY to tell his mum to get divorced, why didn't he  tell her to do it sooner? And how would that stop his dad from borrowing money? But I guess if if he had to play piano to get the money, he no longer felt bad about it? The other thing I raised an eyebrow at was the stage mum and child deciding to switch from Professor Song to JK to give her a happy ending. I don't think stage mums just change their minds like that - it felt like it was missing a scene - like the child saying she wanted to quite violin or running away from home etc. Something to give the mother an epiphany. But these less realistic elements were balanced out weirdly by the 3 professors not getting punished in any way for their bad behaviours - that's realistic in that life isn't fair and people who hurt people often get away with it and keep going on that way. :Furious:

-All in all though I loved the ending and felt it was beautiful, poignant and thoughtful and that the series ended well with many good points to outweigh anything else. If it was very sweet, it was well deserved given the weeks of gloom that poor SA endured. I will miss this drama and the amazing chemistry between Kim Min Jae and Park Eun Bin!! :cutekitty:

• Like 5
  • Love 9
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

I’ll always remember him  as only oppa who cherish one umbrella that risk ruining his hair :D 

wcV6iaz.gif

I would like to thanks everyone that make watching this drama more interesting , I joined the thread late but I have fun reading everyone insightful thought & amazing jokes for last couple of episodes  , I can’t name everyone but big thanks to @Jillia , @Sky8lue , @annamchoi , @Abirami Ramakrishnan , @rozelan , @Y.Q. , @vangsweetie637

:fullofhearts:

• Like 7
  • Love 9
  • Thanks 1

A day has passed since I've finished watching the last two episodes, but my heart still feels so full.

I especially love Joon Young's graduation recital. Of course, we have Song Ah's confession. It was beautifully done, with the dialogue designed to keep us on our toes. I was surprised and crestfallen along with Joon Young when Song Ah said that she couldn't remain friends, and happy when she told Joon Young she loved him. But aside from the kiss and other scenes, what stood out the most for me was Joon Young's performance of Widmung. 

It was absolutely beautiful. The writer made a beautiful choice. I was incredibly touched when I heard it for the first time. There are pieces where you often have to listen for a long time to get a gist of the pianist's emotions, but even the beginning of Widmung gave me this clarity that this was indeed Joon Young's love letter to Song Ah. I was hoping for Moonlight Sonata, but in my honest opinion, Widmung (and Joon Young's whole program) was the best way to wrap up Joon Young's recital. Through its theme and sound, we were able to come full circle.

• Like 4
  • Love 9

24 minutes ago, rafeusjanela said:

A day has passed since I've finished watching the last two episodes, but my heart still feels so full.

I especially love Joon Young's graduation recital. Of course, we have Song Ah's confession. It was beautifully done, with the dialogue designed to keep us on our toes. I was surprised and crestfallen along with Joon Young when Song Ah said that she couldn't remain friends, and happy when she told Joon Young she loved him. But aside from the kiss and other scenes, what stood out the most for me was Joon Young's performance of Widmung. 

It was absolutely beautiful. The writer made a beautiful choice. I was incredibly touched when I heard it for the first time. There are pieces where you often have to listen for a long time to get a gist of the pianist's emotions, but even the beginning of Widmung gave me this clarity that this was indeed Joon Young's love letter to Song Ah. I was hoping for Moonlight Sonata, but in my honest opinion, Widmung (and Joon Young's whole program) was the best way to wrap up Joon Young's recital. Through its theme and sound, we were able to come full circle.

I wholeheartedly agree too! There was something magical about JY's widmung performance that really struck a chord with me (hehe excuse the pun). I feel liszt's arrangement really captured the essence of schumann's love for clara and made it the perfect choice for the occasion. 

@minsunie most welcome. Glad you liked it too! I'm thinking of learning it but it looks tough :lol:

• Like 9
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, JenL said:

Episode 16 (Finale) comments - PART 2

-Another scene I really liked was the scene with her mum. Throughout the series, she didn't seem that close to her mum. But it was nice to see their conversation reveal that typical Asian parent worry - she was always worried about SA going down this road because she knew that it would be tough and she was frustrated that she couldn't protect her or change her mind about it. But I liked that she knew JY had was able to do that for SA and helped to encourage that reunion between them. :love:

- And now I have to talk about all those lovely signs of affection from JY and SA because those are obviously the best parts of the ending. THAT KISS. Everything leading up to that kiss was perfect. I loved how JY wasn't sure if SA had come to that performance. And that he was so nervous when he thought she was knocking on the door, then so crestfallen he saw it wasn't her. Then when it was her, he had such a heartfelt look of joy and hope. And then he was so eager to let her know that he had used her program, that everything had been a misunderstanding because he was over the past, and he wanted her to know, using their language of music that he loved her. This is the stuff of a Jane Austen novel.

- I also loved how 'mean' SA was to say that she came as a friend because JY looked so completely crushed when she said that, but then so completely stunned and dazed when she said she loved him. I have to say, making KMJ repeat all his confessions at least 3 times each was very effective like a spell! He has a nice voice, so it made that scene all the more better. Thank god this series has not had those old school frozen kisses! They shot it from such lovely angles -from how he pulled her towards him and from her having her arms around him. And they kissed twice in such a dreamy way

-Also backhugs are so damn cute. I don't know why I feel like that's the ultimate sign of affection. But I died when they hugged in that music room before graduation happened. And that wordless proposal was perfect because JY and SA have never needed to say a lot to understand each other's moods and temperaments. :love:

-I know that a lot of people wanted SA to succeed with her violin, but I think this was a story about someone finding themselves, not about becoming an expert at something. It was a story about trying something and learning about oneself from that experience. It was also about picking oneself up again when hitting rock bottom. It was a story about having the courage to live life without falling into other's expectations and changing one's mind if the the choice feels right. And Lastly, even if your dreams don't come true in the way you originally wanted, it's not the end of the world, you will find new hobbies and interests and goals. I think we could all be reminded of these things, but this is especially important in Korean culture which has such a focus on perfection, the ultimate root of depression. But I do think that doing music school was a good experience for SA since she met JY out of it!

-Ironically I guess Professor Lee was kind of right that SA was going to be really helpful to her husband!  Some might see that as not very feminist (and I do think that Asian shows have some element of promoting traditional roles), but I saw the whole message as SA finding things that were right for her. And if her job involved some elements of managing her husband's travel plans, why not? JY would also never treat her as a secretary, as Director Nah pointed out 

- Like all dramas, nothing is ever perfect. I do agree with some people who felt it was a little rushed at the end and that some problems dragged out for weeks suddenly felt easy to resolve. The 2 mains things were: If it was so easy for JY to tell his mum to get divorced, why didn't he sooner? And how would that stop his dad from borrowing money? But I guess if if he had to play piano to get the money, he no longer felt bad about it? The other thing I raised an eyebrow at was the stage mum and child deciding to switch from Professor Song to JK to give her a happy ending. I don't think stage mums just change their minds like that - it felt like it was missing a scene - like the child saying she wanted to quite violin or running away from home etc. Something to give the mother an epiphany. But these less realistic elements were balanced out weirdly by the 3 professors not getting punished in any way for their bad behaviours - that's realistic in that life isn't fair and people who hurt people often get away with it and keep going on that way.

-All in all though I loved the ending and felt it was beautiful, poignant and thoughtful and that the series ended well with many good points to outweigh anything else. If it was very sweet, it was well deserved given the weeks of gloom that poor SA endured. I will miss this drama and the amazing chemistry between Kim Min Jae and Park Eun Bin!!

I love how you express it here. Pretty new to this :waves:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

14 minutes ago, AjummaF4 said:

I love how you express it here. Pretty new to this :waves:

Thank you for reading my loooong essay :tounge_wink: I just had so many feels after watching that I had to write them down! Hope you also had a lovely time watching that last episode ^^

• Like 8
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 1