[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

I'm listening to the OST right now, and even if I'm hearing the sad instrumental ones, my heart doesn't feel heavy. It feels satisfied and content, as if it knows that all of us needed those sad moments in our lives to grow and to be able to dream again. I can truly say that I was healed by this drama. It will always be a special drama to me. One dialogue that struck a chord in me would be this one, in the last episode: "The smallest moment in your life, in other words, is where your crescendo begins." It sounds so hopeful, especially since the term crescendo was used. It's similar to the quote that talks about how the only direction you can go is upward when you hit rock bottom. It will definitely be a quote of consolation for me in the future. 

• Like 5
  • Love 10
  • Insightful 2

16 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I think I felt every moment of JY’s heartbeat when it sounded like SA was going to tell him let’s be friends and then it sounded like she might say she couldn’t be friends with him and then what actually came out her mouth was “I love you”. I know JY probably didn’t comprehend it for a moment and then it finally sunk in. 

He looked totally crushed when SA said "I came as a friend"... ouch my heart. really well done scene!

• Like 5
  • Love 8
  • Insightful 1

23 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

The writer has written a lot of lines with a lot of thought behind what a musician might feel. I played the piano for 15 years and just stopped abruptly. I never felt closure and always feel some regret that I have not touched it to play for enjoyment since I stopped it. My husband actually has a music degree as well and was employed full time as a musician for several years. He also stopped abruptly without good byes. Good byes are important as we both play musical instruments yet never touched it again.

thank you for sharing @ck1Oz i think i feel something slightly similar to you, and might be why i loved DYLB so much too! it ignited this little part that enjoyed classical music in me, i stopped playing the piano after 9 years and never said goodbye to it too, more like goodbye piano lessons and hello freedom. but now as i watched DYLB i started to have a deeper appreciation for classical music, something i never understood until now. it just made me feel things i didnt know i could. SA saying goodbye to her violin that scene, i cant describe how moved i was. too much feelings. 

@Jillia thank you so much, i love all the chosen pieces. and also u read my mind as i was looking for the last picture of SA and JY closing their eyes. 

@minsunie Thanks for the piece, i loved what u said below, and I felt that deeply too that JK is finally ready to be on her own person embracing her flaws what may be. i loved what you mentioned about intermission bar, ah what a nice way to start another chapter of their lives, i really loved how they weaved in intermission bar as this resting place in their lives, and now our characters are ready for the next chapter. 

omg DYLB how much more hidden meanings do u have?! SA walking into the light was the best ultimate ending for me <3

11 hours ago, minsunie said:

Thinking about the show today I realised why writer nim has JK played unaccompanied-- it was her finally trusting herself to overcome things by herself, not hiding in the shadow of her mum, the foundation, the prof, or JY or even HH. They all returned the scores to her... she was alone and truly standing on her own two feet. Her getting the professorship would have been under the tutelage of the prof too, but she found her "conviction" (which she shared with SA during masterclass) to pursue the music she loves instead of becoming foundation chairman like grandma wanted. I love how she got her own arc and the writer seem to really want to give her a proper growth arc as well. 

The closing of the restaurant Intermission is also significant- how the intermission for the characters are over and they proceed to the second half of their journey, just like how their schooling life and quarter life crisis is over and they have chosen their paths, now to walk on that path to pursue their dreams. 

Love also how the show ends with SA walking into the spotlight, no longer afraid, feeling unqualified, or uncertain. Come what may she will walk ahead and dream again, even if it may hurt. Such a beautiful ending and so positive! I love SA's courage!

@rafeusjanela this part really tugged at my heart, another part of this episode i truly loved so so much and will remember this line always.

10 hours ago, rafeusjanela said:

I'm listening to the OST right now, and even if I'm hearing the sad instrumental ones, my heart doesn't feel heavy. It feels satisfied and content, as if it knows that all of us needed those sad moments in our lives to grow and to be able to dream again. I can truly say that I was healed by this drama. It will always be a special drama to me. One dialogue that struck a chord in me would be this one, in the last episode: "The smallest moment in your life, in other words, is where your crescendo begins." It sounds so hopeful, especially since the term crescendo was used. It's similar to the quote that talks about how the only direction you can go is upward when you hit rock bottom. It will definitely be a quote of consolation for me in the future. 

• Like 7
  • Love 8
  • Insightful 1

I don't want to say goodbye to this drama or this thread. This first drama I have started watching live from the beginning. I was intrigued by the headlines and the premise from the very first moment. I was excited for it and when the teasers came out I thought this too good to be true. The chemistry was just oozing from the MLs. I was not disappointed. I am someone who has hard time completing dramas completely. The only ones I can think of are Her Private Life, Dr. Romantic 2, Hospital Playlist, Weightlifting, and now Do you like Brahms. Not many... This drama will always hold a special place in my life. I want to write my thoughts about the last two episodes, but then it will be really over for me...

A few thoughts about episode 16...

One hour was not enough for this show.... or this episode. because we got so much misery that I would love to see more happy moments between our couple. Yes, I am still greedy for more... 

Okay, for more serious thoughts.

Writernim, loves parallelism which was great because who could see the growth, development, and the stages. It was a full circle. 

I love of Songah realized that she was partly to blame for the way their relationship ended. I like that self-acknowledgement since some time has passed she has gained perspective. I am glad she asked for time so she could be stronger and take control of her insecurities before starting their relationship again. The confession continuation from JY was beautiful.... made my heard melt. 

HH finally coming back to JY was nice and him finally understanding JY was so good to see. 

I love the trio scene as well. JY was so surprised to se SA as the page turner. I could literally here him saying Songashi... lol. I think SA change her mind because like her graduate school application she wanted to finish was she started. Also, in a way it was a step from her side to rebuild their relationship again. Interesting thing about JY returning the piece of music to JK. We never find out if he actually returns the black handkerchief. I hope he did. 

Also, SA finally able to talk to JK was to show SA having confidence in herself. Infact since her firm decision in episode 15 to quit the violin. She became less self-conscious and became more self-confident...

Why do SA and Haena talk to each other. Haena is... 

Songah and JY coffee shop scene was sweet. Both finally making decisions towards there happiness was nice. Also, them walking at the palace grounds. The both wanted to hold each others hand. The longing was all there. 

SA scene for the job with Ms. In was great. SA always so humble... the advice about saying goodbye slowly was heart touching. It is so hard to say goodbye to things you love. Saying slowing perhaps makes it easier... I don't know

Now the concert scene, I think it was very telling that Professor Yoon just leaving in the middle meant that he wasn't willing to change. He was jealous as ever. Sad none of the professor ever changed, but I am glad the younger generation learnt from their mistakes and became better.  

The piece of selection was perfect. It was all for SA. It was interesting that SA only got to listen to Brahms and Clara in the hall and she was outside for Schumann. JY was so hopeful SA would come that he got his hopes up in the dressing room to be dejected the first time. It was perfectly enacted by KMJ. It was such a beautiful scene SA saying I love you. JY saying it many times and the look he gives her... I couldn't breathe in that scene. 

I am glad HH and JK don't get a definite ending. I would like to they remain cordial or friends. I don't really see them getting back together. Simply because she really did cause the JY and HH alot of pain. What I am upset about she never apologizes for it too.. This makes me mad even now.

The rest of the episode was beautiful.. They are just too cute. I really want PEB and KMJ to be in another drama or movie again. Their chemistry is fire.

Overall thoughts about the show:

Writing..

I have to commend writernim for her writing especially since it her first drama. She has put so much thought into her characters. Also, making small objects so important was so beautiful. The main frustration though would be how the some characters are made known to important information(overhearing)... Also, a bit of repetitive cycle of situations for the characters. I understand why but it did get annoying at times.

Another quibble would be for me the editing-- at times I wish there was more continuity between going to the next scenes. It's an hour show...I am glad the blue-ray is confirmed because hopefully they will add those cut scenes to provide the continuity. Unfortunately it is too hefty a price for me to buy and I don't have blue-ray, so I not going to even try.

If someone does buy please let us know. I wish could setup a google drive so we can all watch it... but not pressure.

Direction and Production Value

Amazing the thought to details were amazing. No quibbles here.

The thing is I am willing to lookover all these things because it left with so much more. It taught me lot as well. Also, this drama I don't know if I can recommend it to others because I am not willing to hear others criticize it. It is that special to me. Lastly, I don't believe this drama is for everyone. It takes a certain amount of patience and thinking to truly appreciate it. 

I am giving an 8.5/10. Also for rewatch if anyone does it count me in. Dont forget me.

• Like 9
  • Love 7
  • Insightful 2

I don't quite know where to start. I began watching DYLB without expecting to be so emotionally invested in Song Ah's and Joonyoung's lives. But their story resonated with me deeply, and I needed to see them find their own paths to happiness. 

The courage to let go of a cherished dream and the strength to keep on dreaming. The courage to love that overcomes the fear of getting hurt. There's so much to say, but perhaps music speaks to the heart more directly than words:

@annamchoi @Jillia @rafeusjanela @Y.Q. @vangsweetie637 @Abirami Ramakrishnan @cherrhys88 @Sneha @debbsthebee @rozelan @Ameera Ali and many many more who have been here in this thread. Sorry for not being able to tag everyone but please know that you've not been forgotten. Thank you so much for being part of this memorable journey :)

Reflections on the finale episode:

• Love 14
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 3

Kim Min Jae Talks About Playing The Piano For “Do You Like Brahms?,” Depending On Park Eun Bin, And More

a344d1352d3e4291b4422bd9152c6800.jpeg?s=

Oct 21, 2020
by J. K

Kim Min Jae looked back on his experience acting in “Do You Like Brahms?” through an interview on October 21, following the show’s finale the day before.

The drama is a romance about classical musicians who are torn between their dream and the harshness of reality as they pursue their love of music. The actor took on his first leading role with this show, playing the role of world-renowned pianist Park Joon Young.

“When I first saw the script, I found it refreshing that there were such turbulent emotions within the calmness,” he said, explaining why he chose to join the drama. “The character Joon Young is a world class pianist but he’s very shy, which I found charming. I also thought it would be fun to do a romance.”

He went on to talk about playing the role of a pianist. “There was a lot of pressure,” he said. “It’s hard enough to just play piano, but I felt a lot of pressure about acting as a pianist who wins competitions. I became good at playing the songs I played.”

When asked to name the songs that he remembers the most, he said, “I remember Rachmaninoff and ‘Moonlight Sonata+Happy Birthday’ too. ‘Träumerei’ is unforgettable. That’s the one that I practiced for the longest and I played it a lot.”

“I watched a lot of videos of Cho Seong Jin and of foreign pianists too. I put aspects of them together to create my character,” he said. “To be honest, I wasn’t very familiar with classical music, so I searched for and watched a lot of things. Joon Young is what came out of all of that.”

On the topic of his favorite songs in the show, he named “Träumerei” and also Schumann’s “Widmung.” He added, “I actually liked all the songs in the drama; there are none that I would leave out. I think I listen to ‘Widmung’ the most lately.”

Kim Min Jae went on to share, “There was zero time to practice for the graduation recital in the latter half of the show. There was a part that I couldn’t play myself, so there was a moment where I had to just match the movements. I felt ashamed at first. There were several moments like that where I felt embarrassed. I never made an error while playing the piano that made us start the scene again, but there were times when I wasn’t satisfied with it so we did a few more takes.”

kim-min-jae-21.jpg

The actor not only had to play the piano, he also had to completely pull off the character of a master pianist. “To be honest, it was really hard to decide what kind of expression I should have and what gestures I should do,” he said. “Joon Young wasn’t inspired by any real person so I had to create someone new, and I wasn’t sure how to do that. It was difficult, but at some point I ended up just doing it like that. I created him after asking my teacher a lot of questions too and doing research.”

“I’m not sure if I’ve changed or if it’s just temporary, but I talk less after playing Joon Young,” he also said. “I think I’ve become a bit quieter and calmer. I need to shake that off soon.”

Kim Min Jae also spoke about acting alongside Park Eun Bin, who debuted at a young age as a child actress. Kim Min Jae said, “I depended a lot on Park Eun Bin, who made her acting debut around the time that I was born. She looks gentle but she’s tough in spirit, and she’s a strong person. It was great to work with her because of the depth she brings and her seriousness about her work, and I depended on her as a senior actor, a colleague, and a partner. I asked her a lot of questions about how to deal with difficult scenes I was feeling pressure about, and she always came back with great answers.”

He went on to say, “There was a scene where I had to express my emotions to my mother. I was feeling physically exhausted and I felt worried and pressured over the thought of having to cry in such a sad scene. I shared my concerns and she said, ‘You don’t necessarily need to cry. It will be harder to cry if you’re thinking about how you can’t cry.’ That made a big impact on me and I think I ended up doing well in the end.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1432941wpp/kim-min-jae-talks-about-playing-the-piano-for-do-you-like-brahms-depending-on-park-eun-bin-and-more

• Love 4
  • Thanks 16

Apart from Captain Cha Young In, Joon Young's mother and Song Ah's mother and her elder sister support our Dimple Couple :innocent: Although there is no common scene, the link could be floral wrapping paper with Song Ah's bag  of the same color.

IMG_0268.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 7

3 hours ago, Sneha said:

What I am upset about she never apologizes for it too.. This makes me mad even now.

yes, she did not own up to how she hurt so much people..she only said she has not matured after her mother's death.  It's not an exucuse.

• Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

@tiMadam @JilliaI am glad I am not the only who thought that way because of that I felt her arc was half-baked.

@Jillia I love that moment too.... our boy was shook

Damn they cut out so many scenes.. There was picture of him buying rings. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SBS one hour was not enough. I am upset about that too. 

Oh for the poll about how would you rate the finale! I voted I don't know because it felt hurried a bit even though I love it so much....I am still in two minds. Again they cut out so many beautiful scenes...Yeah going to be mad about that for a while

• Like 10
  • Love 3

That's it man the next time I go to Seoul going to plonk my kids in hanboks. Go to the Deuksugung wall walk in the mid morning and take some photos.

Lol. I really like the flitered sunlight in the new PSY album you see. 

And I went back to viki for the confession scene and the song lyrics subbed.  * swoon and swoon * again. The OST slays me. The lyrics. The romance. The feels. Da best.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2

From Kim Sung Cheol's agency featuring some fun BTS between HH and JK:

And it does seem that quite a few scenes were edited out of the aired footage which is a huge pity. One imperfection of DYLB for me is that some of the most annoying side characters (Professor Duster, PSJ etc) received too much screen-time at the expense of the main narrative. (Thank goodness they wrapped up on a good note in the finale!!!)

About a HH-deleted scene: https://twitter.com/healernim/status/1318978370101706754

Below is a twitter moment I use to collate tweets about the subbed BTS, translated interviews, drama quotes, OST lyrics, classical music repertoire, news articles etc. Will continue to update the list as the final BTS and more post-drama interviews are released. If you're interested:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1311209475219439616

SBS drama FB presents:

122095835_627440244591985_51050933951754

121970007_627440231258653_61843705783939

Spoiler

121974445_627440241258652_68246239639037

122330204_627440227925320_62814514368686

122118827_627440234591986_56174369125684

122026606_627440224591987_70191752992985

122028839_627440237925319_20469841417419

• Like 6
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 4

@Jillia@minsunie thanks for compiling the classical pieces. I love that so much thought went into selecting the pieces for the show. Still trying to recover and like many have been listening to the soundtrack. My favourite is widmung and i wanted to share kissin's beautiful interpretation with everyone. Count me in for any rewatch party!

Also how could they cut out JY going jewellery shopping?!!

• Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 2

I finally got to watch episode 16 tonight and I am so relieved. I am glad they tied it up nicely, instead of leaving it open ended. It has been wonderful reading your comments and sharing the last few episode with you lovely people. Hugs from Florida.

• Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1