[Upcoming Drama 2022~2024] Squid Game, 오징어 게임 - Lee Jung Jae- Season 2 premieres in the second half 2024

larus

8 hours ago, Madu Mita said:

I'm surprised not many people are discussing the show in this forum 

Perhaps it is because all the episodes were released at the same time.  If it was a weekly release, I think more people might discuss who will live and who will die.

@agenth Perhaps we can have a poll--favorite game or whatever you want to call it.  

PS:  Why is it called Squid Game?  Is squid a metaphor for something?

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggesion. I set up a poll, trying for questions without spoilers ~ tagging our Squid Game chingus for participation, and hope to see new viewers in this thread/poll as well!

@larus @Helena @rocher22 @anjuliet @Yinye @lebeaucouple @Pitchoum @CarolynH @hsmz @Latte_Anyday @bearcreek @peonie @princess16 @Prettysup @Madu Mita 

Looking Korean Drama GIF by Netflix Indonesia

re: @partyon @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart

13 hours ago, CarolynH said:

PS:  Why is it called Squid Game?  Is squid a metaphor for something?

screen-shot-2021-10-04-at-9-34-25-am-163

The drama is calld Squid Game

Spoiler

due to its final game, where they play the Korean Squid Game, which is called Squid because the borders look like a squid.

The show's titular game, a version of tag with attackers and defenders, was mostly played in South Korea in the '70s and '80s. Its name comes from the squid-liked playing field, a square with a triangle on top, with a "waist" of two rectangles at the center and circles at the top and bottom. The goal is for a member of the offense team to tap the circle, or "squid's head," at the top of the field with their foot, with the defense trying to stop them.

Spoiler

As Gi-hun describes in the show's opening scene, "Once the game starts, the defense can run around on two feet within bounds, while the offense outside the line is only allowed to hop on one foot. But if an attacker cuts through the waist of the squid outpacing the defense, he or she is given the freedom to walk freely on two feet. For whatever reason, we called that the secret inspector."

"After preparing for the final battle, the attackers gather at the entrance of the squid. In order to win, the attackers must tap the small closed-off space on the squid's head with their foot. If the defender pushes you out of the squid's line, you die. That's right. You die. Once you take the winning tap, you yell out, "Hurray." And, in that moment, I felt as if I owned the entire world," he continued.

https://www.marieclaire.com/culture/a37824981/squid-game-games-real-life-netflix/ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Which one is Wi Ha Joon?  I don't remember seeing any abs.

indeed they didn't show abs, but right after the show wi ha joon's popularity skyrocketed and he got great magazine ads from before and now

wi-ha-joon.jpg?w=900

his instagram followers increased ten-fold, too!

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

The Squid Game Cast Reveals All Including Origin of The Red Light, Green Light Doll | Tonight Show

thanks for posting!

it's amazing they are on jimmy fallon too!

• Like 3

Watch: “Squid Game” Cast Dishes On The Drama’s Global Success On “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 7, 2021
by M. Kang

The cast of “Squid Game” made an appearance on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” to talk about their show and share behind-the-scenes details!

Lee Jung Jae started the interview by explaining the plot of the hit show, describing the mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) that his character Sung Ki Hoon, along with 455 others, fight to the death in.

Jimmy Fallon brought to light how well the show is doing worldwide, hitting No. 1 in 90 countries. When he asked Park Hae Soo, who plays Jo Sang Woo, when he realized the show became so big, the actor responded, “Right now,” making the audience burst into laughter.

As for what he thinks helps viewers around the world connect to the show, Wi Ha Joon answered, “I definitely think the Korean children’s games are part of the appeal. That can be very original, refreshing, and also shocking at the same time to the global viewers. I also feel like we did a good job expressing the true human nature of raw greed and human nature that took place inside the games, which I believe resonates with a lot of the audiences.”

This naturally led to a conversation on the eerie doll that was featured in the Red Light, Green Light game. Jung Ho Yeon explained that the doll was inspired by a character that often appears in children’s textbooks named Young Hee.

The cast revealed more insights such as how Park Hae Soo became a father on the day of the show’s premiere to a baby boy now nicknamed “Baby Squid.” They also explained how a scene with an outtake of Jung Ho Yeon struggling to keep her laughter in made it in the show!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1492278wpp/watch-squid-game-cast-dishes-on-the-dramas-global-success-on-the-tonight-show-starring-jimmy-fallon

• Like 2

Why is Squid Game such an international success?

by missvictrix

squidgame-1.jpg

Over the past few weeks we’ve seen Squid Game go from Netflix’s latest original Korean show, to a worldwide sensation. It doesn’t sound like anyone expected the drama to perform quite as well as it did, and I, for one, didn’t expect it either. Gone are the days of trying to force co-workers to watch Kingdom and suck it up when it comes to reading subtitles; now, everyone from a local waitress to out-of-touch friends are asking me, “Have you seen Squid Game?!”

Blowing up in the South Korean market — or even Asia more broadly — is one thing, but Korean content going this wide is almost unheard of. The last time we saw something similar was with Bong Joon-ho’s 2019 Oscar-winning film Parasite. Interestingly, the smash hit film did pretty much the same thing that Squid Game is doing: invading entertainment media (especially Western media), and opening up loads of conversations. Those various conversations — whether you’ve been seeing them, reading them, or having them yourself — are what we’ll explore here.

squidgame-2.jpg

Before we look at Squid Game’s success more broadly, it’s important to warn you first: this piece isn’t looking for any one answer, or even arguing for one. In fact, I’m not sure if there is one sole reason why Squid Game took off the way that it did. Instead, it seems like its success was caused by a combination of factors.

The actual content is the main draw, for sure, but there are other variables that have to line up for a success like this — things like timing, accessibility, word of mouth, and maybe even a little luck.

squidgame-3.jpg

Think of how long K-pop groups were trying to hit it big in the U.S., only for BTS to finally be the group to get it done. I wouldn’t argue that BTS is demonstratively better or worse than comparable K-pop groups out there (though the fandom might argue with me there) — there was just something about them. The planets lined up, and now you can find BTS merch at your local Target. It’s the same with Squid Game. Right time, right place.

But that’s just one part of the equation, and surely there’s more to the success of Squid Game than just right time, right place — there’s also the cross-cultural nerve that it has hit. And this phenomenon is the most interesting part of Squid Game’s success.

Once Squid Game hit Western media full force, along came piles of articles and editorials claiming to explain why the series became a global sensation, and then explaining their reasoning in great detail. While there’s something to be said for Western media trying to explain why a drama series out of South Korea hit home for them, can they really know so easily? Can we really wrap up a drama’s worldwide success just by looking at it through a single lens, or distilling it into a single component that explains everything?

In trying to explain the phenomenon of Squid Game’s success, most go straight to the thematic content. We’ve seen explanations that the powerful dialectic of rich versus poor, and elite versus plebs, was what made the show resonate so much. We’ve even seen articles that defend the terrible line-delivery of the English speaking cast, convinced it’s a narrative choice meant to pack even more of a punch.

Just these few small examples show how deep it’s possible to go when trying to suss out Squid Game’s success — and that’s not a bad thing. Stories are powerful because we draw meaning from them. I’m a firm believer that you can find a message that speaks to you in any story, no matter how silly or how serious — but really, much of that is subjective. And if we’re going to figure out Squid Game’s international success, should we use subjective or objective means? Or maybe both?

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/10/why-is-squid-game-such-an-international-success/

• Like 3

This is hilarious! I tried out the quiz and apparently I have the potential to win ha-ha. Honestly I wouldn't I'm such a scaredy cat anyways. Like what if it involved cannibalism or somethin' more extreme LoL!?

I finished this drama weeks ago but didn't feel there were anything new to add LoL. Glad to know there's a lot of buzz for the cast. I have to say I'm just as impressed by the actor who played "Ali. His Korean was really fluent. And I empathized for him. 

I find it funny when Koreans complain their actors get secondary or cameo to low rank jobs when they get to Hollywood when they give the same treatment to foreigners in their dramas. Like take "Ali" for example. 

I read somewhere that this white female model was offered a role in "Squid Games" but only a non-speaking one. And she's literally window dressing. In fact she'd be nude with nipple tape and covered only in body paint - ouch; the stereotype I tell ya.. 

She turned the offer down as it sounded sketchy but knowing it was for "Squid Games" she regrets it LoL. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the Tonight Show clips @Prettysup !  They were all charming.  

I'll put my next comment in a spoiler, in case some have not finished the series.  I'm now in the middle of ep 8

Spoiler

I feel for Ji Yeong.  I'm hoping that Kang Saet Byul tries to find Ji Yeong's parents or does something in her memory if she makes it to the end.  I also question whether grandfather (001) is dead.  We didn't see a body.  I don't believe he was suffering from dementia when playing the marble game.  I think he knew what he was doing.  I don't care much for the VIP episode. 

• Like 2

Finally finished!  Overall, I liked it.  Would I watch a season 2?  Probably.

Spoiler

For me, the weakest episode was 8 with the VIPs.  I had a feeling the grandfather was not as he seemed although I would have liked to see him as an able bodied man rather than someone on his death bed.  I would have also liked to have seen Gi Hoon use the money to help people.  

October 10, 2021.

Hwang Dong Hyuk Says If There Is ‘Squid Game’ Season 2, He Wishes to Focus on the “Issues with the Police”

by krishkim

The popularity of the Netflix original series ‘Squid Game‘, which has shocked the world, is still on the rise. And because of it, the voices asking for season two are louder than ever.

spacer.png

Credit: Netflix

So far, Netflix has produced more than one season for hit shows, such as Stranger Things and Orange Is the New Black. Among Korean content, season two and special episodes for Kingdom have already been unveiled. Therefore, there is a high possibility that Squid Game, too, will come out with season two.

Even in the interview done on the 4th with Variety, Squid Game director Hwang Dong Hyuk said that he wasn’t hurrying to make a new season. But in the latest interview with The Times, Hwang commented that he wants to explore “the issue with police officers” in season two.

He explained, “While I was writing season one, I thought about the stories that could be in season two if I get to do one—one would be the story of the Frontman [an ex-cop who is now one of the masterminds behind the game].”

spacer.png

Credit: Netflix

“I think the issue with police officers is not just an issue in Korea. I see it on the global news that the police force can be very late on acting on things—there are more victims, or a situation gets worse because of them not acting fast enough. This was an issue that I wanted to raise. Maybe in season two, I can talk about this more,” he added.

Judging from his words, season two will be about just policeman In Ho turning into the black-masked Frontman. Maybe we’ll get to see another villain like Darth Vader, who used to be Anakin Skywalker, an innocent boy.

Source:  https://zapzee.net/2021/10/08/hwang-dong-hyuk-says-if-there-is-squid-game-season-2-he-wishes-to-focus-on-the-issues-with-the-police/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

October 10, 2021.

The director of "Squid Game" changes his tone and will develop Lee Byung Hun’s story in Season Two.

spacer.png

The Netflix Korean drama "Squid Game" has become a worldwide hit since its airing last month, and many Hollywood celebrities have followed it.  Taika Waititi, the director of “Thor: Love and Thunder” announced that he is a fan on his social network.  He also urged others to watch the Korean version, "You don't need to watch "Squid Game" with English dubbing." Many netizens agree with him.

In addition, “Squid Game " director Hwang Dong Hyuk recently announced that he would not start filming the second season for a while.  He was very tired after filming the first season  because he was screenwriter, director and producer.  But in an interview with The Times recently, he changed his tone and said he wanted to discuss the police problem, saying it was not confined to South Korea.  The global news often see police forces acting only when the situation gets worse, and he pointed out that he wanted to develop Lee Byung Hun’s role as “Front Man"

Source:  https://hd.stheadline.com/life/ent/daily/950328/日報-娛樂-魷魚遊戲-導演改口風-第二季將發展李秉憲故事

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watch: “Running Man” Cast Parodies “Squid Game” In Preview For Next Week’s Episode

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 10, 2021
by C. Hong

SBS’s “Running Man” will be jumping on the “Squid Game” bandwagon next week!

“Squid Game” is a hit Netflix series about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (about $40 million) starring Lee Jung Jae, Park Hae Soo, Wi Ha Joon, Jung Ho Yeon, Oh Young Soo, Heo Sung Tae, Anupam Tripathi, and Kim Joo Ryoung. The series hit No. 1 on Netflix’s rankings in 90 countries around the world.

As revealed in the preview, the “Running Man” parody version is titled “Webfoot Octopus Game.” Like “Squid Game,” it starts out with the cast members receiving a mysterious invitation to a game that promises to change their lives. The cast “wakes up” in the show’s iconic tracksuits and have to play a number of childish games to win the cash prize. The cast gets immersed into the concept of the show, with Jun So Min even getting into character, but the game changes when the members start getting taken out one by one.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1492796wpp/watch-running-man-cast-parodies-squid-game-in-preview-for-next-weeks-episode

• Like 1

@agenth I protest. You only mentioned Wi  Ha Joon’s abs in the poll, but what about Lee Jung Jae’s abs?

Spoiler

spacer.png

I binge watched this drama yesterday and I have to say that I felt a bit conflicted about its hype.

There were things that I liked (visuals, design, the suspense, friendship, great acting etc).

There were more things that I disliked though (plot holes, some parts/scenes/episodes of the drama dragged a lot, over dramatic ending with a plot twist that could be seen a mile away, a too stupid to live cop, the portrayal of certain characters felt problematic for me too, etc).

Clearly we were set up for a season 2 and when it comes out we will learn that the cop survived. I kept waiting til the end that he would appear and take down his brother but that is clearly being saved for a season 2.

These survival games dramas/movies always shows us that when faced with life and death, it’s hard not to do all that is required to survive.

This drama showed the exploitation of people who had addictions/bad luck/mental problems/etc and who were in a desperate state. 

But if one wants to watch one of these survival shows, I feel there are better ones out there than Squid Game.

• Like 1
  • Love 1