[Upcoming Drama 2022~2024] Squid Game, 오징어 게임 - Lee Jung Jae- Season 2 premieres in the second half 2024

larus

“Squid Game” Star Anupam Tripathi Shares Gratitude To Park Hae Soo And Lee Jung Jae, His Approach To Role As Migrant Worker, & More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 11, 2021
by S. Cho

Anupam Tripathi of the hit series “Squid Game” recently talked about the show, his role models, and more!

“Squid Game” is a Netflix original series about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) on the line. 456 money-hungry participants wind up joining the game—only to learn that there is much more at stake than just the prize money.

In the drama, Anupam Tripathi played Ali Abdul, a migrant worker from Pakistan who moves to Korea with hopes of living out the “Korean dream.” Although he suffers an industrial accident, his boss does not pay for his medical bills or provide him with the funds he needs to return home, so he joins “Squid Game” as a last-resort option to support his family.

Through this role, Anupam Tripathi impressed viewers all around the globe with his incredible Korean language skills and his emotional acting. The actor revealed that he first made his theatre debut in 2006 and shared, “I always enjoyed being on stage or standing in front of others. I especially felt happy when people enjoyed my performances or I was able to convey my character’s emotions well.”

When asked about his role models, Anupam Tripathi answered, “I’ve learned a variety of things from the work of actors I respect. I’ve gained a lot from watching actors like Shahrukh Khan, Irrfan Khan, Marlon Brando, Charlie Chaplin, and Korea’s Lee Byung Hun, Choi Min Sik, Lee Jung Jae, Park Hae Soo, and Oh Young Soo.”

He elaborated on working with Park Hae Soo and Lee Jung Jae, sharing, “Working with Park Hae Soo made me really happy and gave me a lot of strength. Park Hae Soo is very caring and treated me like a friend, so there was never a point where I felt afraid or pressured in any way. Instead, he helped me a lot and drew out parts within me to help me do better.”

“The way Park Hae Soo acted as Sang Woo was something I experienced for the first time,” continued Anupam Tripathi. “Park Hae Soo is someone who transforms a scene with his presence alone. I felt and learned a lot while seeing that side of Park Hae Soo everyday. As a result, Sang Woo and Ali’s relationship was able to grow even stronger, and I was able to form a good relationship with Park Hae Soo even outside of the set. It was a really happy time. I think he is someone who really gives his all.”

He added, “I’m also thankful to Lee Jung Jae. Lee Jung Jae is a fun person who makes a lot of jokes. He personally took care of me a lot. When we were filming our first scene together, I was flustered after I grabbed his neck too forcefully, but he comforted me and said, ‘It’s okay. Do it comfortably, do as you please.’ After hearing that, my nerves immediately felt relieved. I believe it was thanks to Lee Jung Jae’s help that I was able to act comfortably in this project and show a good performance.” 

Ali-2.jpeg

Regarding his role as Ali Abdul, the actor commented, “He’s a warmhearted and affectionate character who does everything for his family. In ‘Squid Game,’ which showcases a variety of types of humans, he is the most good-natured character. I acted with the hope that I’d be able to convey the character of Ali as well as possible to viewers.”

Anupam Tripathi shared, “Before I act, I think about what I want to show about this person’s life and how I want this character to communicate with viewers. Honestly, I do not think Ali is a typical character.” He elaborated, “Isn’t the character Ali of ‘Squid Game’ meeting people from 190 countries around the world through Netflix? I think this is the first time these people are meeting a character that is a migrant worker in Korean society. I thought about what I could do for all these different people around the globe to accept Ali. Detailed context about why this person is in Korea, what kind of problem with his boss is making him hold on, and his family: these kinds of details are all there.”

He continued, “Using these as a base, I spent a lot of time working on Ali’s character’s human and sympathetic image. I also looked at texts about migrant workers and labor issues around the world. I looked back on how I acted in similar roles in the past and thought about what I could do to express the character of Ali in the least cliché manner possible.”

“That’s how the image of Ali was composed within me,” said Anuman Tripathi, “and I received help from a lot of different people so that I wouldn’t be stuck in this image and could create a character that reached the most people possible. The director helped me a lot, and I also received lots of help from Lee Jung Jae and Park Hae Soo. I also discovered a lot while talking on set with different people like actors Heo Sung Tae, Kim Joo Ryoung, and Jung Ho Yeon.”

Ali-1.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1492857wpp/squid-game-star-anupam-tripathi-shares-gratitude-to-park-hae-soo-and-lee-jung-jae-his-approach-to-role-as-migrant-worker-more

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Finally! Big Sigh....

Finally watched the much talked about Squid Game and I can see why people can't stop talking about it.

For me, this was a difficult watch. All that violence, gore , not to mention man preying on man and man's depravity- was a ll too much to take.

Nevertheless, I am leaving on a positive and optimistic note, that it is not the end of humanity. There is still hope. A slim ray of hope, perhaps but it is not gone yet.

I think the hardest part was watching man preying on man, taking advantage of his weakness, his crisis. How depraved one must be to pitch one man at his lowest against another?

“Squid Game” Actress Kim Joo Ryoung Shares Deeper Insight Into Her Character, How She Was Cast, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 13, 2021
by S. Cho

“Squid Game” actress Kim Joo Ryoung recently sat down for an interview about the drama!

Through her agency Just Entertainment, Kim Joo Ryoung shared stories about how she was cast for “Squid Game,” her preparations for the role, and her response to the show’s massive success.

“Squid Game” is a Netflix original series about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) on the line. 456 money-hungry participants wind up joining the game – only to learn that there is much more at stake than just the prize money. Kim Joo Ryoung played the role of Han Mi Nyeo, a woman who would do anything for money, both in and out of the game.

Regarding the success of “Squid Game,” Kim Joo Ryoung commented, “I predicted the project’s success to a certain degree when I first read the script, but I could never have imagined this kind of global success. It feels slightly unrealistic so I’m half full of nerves and half extremely happy. It feels like I’m having first-hand experience of the saying ‘What’s most Korean is what’s most global.’ Right in the middle of that is ‘Squid Game’ and the fact that I participated as an actress in this project is an honor and makes me proud.”

Just like the rest of the cast, Kim Joo Ryoung also saw an impressive rise in Instagram followers. She revealed that before the series, she had around 400 followers, and now she’s reached 1.9 million.

Kim-Joo-Ryoung-2.jpeg

Rather than audition for the role, Kim Joo Ryoung was personally contacted by director Hwang Dong Hyuk. She explained, “I already worked with the director on the film ‘Silenced’ and I saw him for the first time in a while in 2019 on the set of the film ‘Collectors.’ He told me he enjoyed my acting as Seri’s aunt in ‘SKY Castle‘ and said, ‘Kim Joo Ryoung’s still got it.’ After talking about how we’ve been doing, he asked about my schedule in 2020 and mentioned there was something he was preparing. He said he’d contact me once it was materialized but I really received the script through the assistant director in early 2020, who proposed the role of Han Mi Nyeo. It felt like I was dreaming. I was really thankful to director Hwang Dong Hyuk, who boldly believed in actress Kim Joo Ryoung and proposed the role of Han Mi Nyeo without an audition.”

The actress also shared her first reaction to the script, commenting, “The day after I received the script, I remember I went to a café in the morning and read it from start to finish, without getting up once. That’s how incredible the immersion was. While reading the script, I laughed out loud, bawled, stared blankly, and covered my mouth in shock, so even if I didn’t notice, I bet people in the café were wondering, ‘Why is that woman doing that?’ But I was so immersed that I didn’t register my surroundings.”

Kim Joo Ryoung continued, “Changing our childhood games into cruel survival games was so shocking yet refreshing. I couldn’t help but be amazed at the director’s imagination and the stories and detailed inner feelings of every single character there touched my heart. I felt that it was a really impressive project that captured the restoration of humanity within the big picture of the loss of humanity.”

About her character, she added, “Mi Nyeo is the most dynamic character. Most severely, she’s like riding a roller coaster. While Mi Nyeo is fickle and nasty, internally she is more lonely than anyone, has the most fear regarding others, and is unable to fit in anywhere, so I felt bad and sorry for her.”

Kim Joo Ryoung gave more details about her character when asked how she prepared for the role. The actress shared, “Like I said before, unlike Mi Nyeo’s strong and rough exterior, she’s a character who internally has the most fear. She’s scared of a lot. Mi Nyeo is also loud and talks a lot. Although she acts like she’s performing a loud monologue on stage, Mi Nyeo just doesn’t want her true feelings to be exposed to others. That’s why Mi Nyeo pretends to be tough, is loud, and has a lot to say. Ultimately, it felt like she was saying, ‘Please look at me.'”

Continuing, Kim Joo Ryoung remarked, “I hoped that these aspects would appear as her own desperate ways to stay alive and that there would be some people who would feel bad for her and support her. I didn’t decide on one thing and act accordingly. I just did my best to enter this extreme situation with Mi Nyeo’s feelings and try to survive. I still get teary because I feel bad for Mi Nyeo. I feel sorry for her.”

Kim-Joo-Ryoung-3.jpeg

Looking back on her past 20 years as an actress, Kim Joo Ryoung also talked about how she wants to move forward in the future. She shared, “20 years… it’s been quite long. ‘Squid Game’ is a project that gave me a lot of happiness and excitement throughout the process. While we were filming, going to set made me happy and excited, and I did my best for everything, so it’s a project I have no regrets for. Results-wise, it’s also the project that allowed to public to learn my name. I figure that it’s a present for acting without giving up for the past 20 years. And like I always did, I will work on each project one-by-one. I think there are now a lot of expectations for Kim Joo Ryoung’s future activities so there’s a bit of pressure and I’m a little scared. I want to act now while enjoying myself a bit more and I think that I should repay [the support] with responsible and good acting. Kim Joo Ryoung will just continue to move forward diligently. Like always.”

Lastly, the actress commented, “Thank you for loving ‘Squid Game’ and supporting actress Kim Joo Ryoung. Please always be healthy and I promise to find you again through many other projects. Thank you so, so much.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1493188wpp/squid-game-actress-kim-joo-ryoung-shares-deeper-insight-into-her-character-how-she-was-cast-and-more

• Like 1

“Squid Game” Surpasses 111 Million Viewing Households

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 13, 2021
by L. Kim

It looks like the popularity of “Squid Game” isn’t going to die down anytime soon!

“Squid Game” is a Netflix original series about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) on the line. 456 money-hungry participants wind up joining the game – only to learn that there is much more at stake than just the prize money.

On October 13, Netflix revealed that 111 million Netflix subscribers around the world have watched “Squid Game.”

Since its premiere on September 17, “Squid Game” has been receiving love from all over the globe, including Brazil, France, India, and Turkey. It topped “Today’s Top 10” chart in 94 countries, and in the United States, it topped “Today’s Top 10” chart for 21 consecutive days.

Kim Min Young, Vice President, Content (APAC ex-India) at Netflix, commented, “When Netflix started investing in Korea in 2015, our goal was to present world-class Korean content for fans who love Korean shows, not only in Asia, but around the world. ‘Squid Game’ turned our dream into a reality.”

She added, “When the story that director Hwang Dong Hyuk had envisioned for a long time could not be made anywhere, Netflix believed that the charm of ‘Squid Game’ could surely shake the hearts of fans in Korea as well as around the world.”

The cast of “Squid Game,” including Lee Jung Jae, Park Hae Soo, Wi Ha Joon, and Jung Ho Yeon, recently made an appearance on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1493243wpp/squid-game-surpasses-111-million-viewing-households

• Like 1

“Squid Game” Star Oh Young Soo Explains Why He’s Turned Down All His Commercial Offers + Moves Lovelyz’s Mijoo To Tears

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 16, 2021
by E. Cha

In his first television appearance since starring in the hit series “Squid Game,” Oh Young Soo opened up about his life philosophy!

After entering the international spotlight through his unforgettable performance as Oh Il Nam in “Squid Game,” the veteran actor appeared on the October 16 episode of MBC’s “How Do You Play?” for a special interview with Yoo Jae Suk and Lovelyz’s Mijoo.

Despite skyrocketing to fame in the blink of an eye, Oh Young Soo has remained impressively down-to-earth in the month following the release of the smash hit drama. The actor has famously turned down all the commercial offers he’s received thus far, including an offer to star in a coveted fried chicken commercial.

Describing his reaction to the “‘Squid Game’ syndrome” that has been sweeping the globe, Oh Young Soo explained that he’s being extra cautious in the wake of his newfound popularity. “I feel like I’m floating on air,” he remarked. “It makes me think, ‘I need to calm down, organize my thoughts, and hold myself back right now.'”

“So many people have been contacting me [since the release of ‘Squid Game’],” shared the actor, “and because I don’t have a manager to help me, it’s hard for me to handle the volume of calls and messages I’ve been receiving. So my daughter has been helping me.”

Oh Young Soo added, “Now that I’ve suddenly risen in popularity, some of my [fellow actors] have been calling me, like Park Jung Ja and a few others.” When asked what Park Jung Ja had said to him, he replied with a laugh, “[She asked,] ‘How does it feel to become a world star?'”

As for how “Squid Game” has impacted his everyday life, Oh Young Soo remarked, “Things have changed quite a bit. Even when I go out to a cafe or somewhere like that, I now have to be aware of [how I appear to others]. It’s made me think, ‘Being famous is tough, too.'”

Oh-Young-Soo.jpg

Oh-Young-Soo-How-Do-You-Play.jpg

In a recent interview, Lee Jung Jae praised Oh Young Soo as a “senior actor with a youthful mindset,” but the veteran actor humbly responded, “I was the only older cast member [in ‘Squid Game’], and all the other actors were young. Since I was among them, I went overboard in pretending to be young in order to match their energy.”

Mijoo asked if the “Squid Game” cast actually played the dalgona game amongst themselves between takes, and Oh Young Soo replied, “There were some actors that did that. While filming this drama, it felt like all the actors were returning to their childhoods. We had fun playing like grown-up children. It was a happy time.”

Later on, Yoo Jae Suk asked Oh Young Soo to share his thoughts on how he believed life ought to be lived. The actor responded, “Our society often only acknowledges first place, as if everyone else doesn’t matter. As if only first place exists, and second place is meaningless. But even though second place lost to first place, second place also beat third place. So everyone is actually a winner. That’s why I think a true winner is someone who is working hard at the things they want to do and attempting to reach a certain state on the inside. I feel like that kind of person is a winner.”

“I don’t have any grand ambitions,” he continued. “Big or small, I’ve received a lot of things while living my life. Now, I want to leave behind those things that I’ve received. To put it simply, let’s say you go to a mountain and see a flower. When we’re young, we pick the flower and take it for ourselves. But by the time you reach my age, you leave it there exactly as it is, and you go back to see it again later on. It’s the same with life. Leaving things exactly the way they are. It isn’t easy.”

As Oh Young Soo spoke about his personal philosophy, Mijoo was so moved that she was unable to hold back her tears.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1493800wpp/squid-game-star-oh-young-soo-explains-why-hes-turned-down-all-his-commercial-offers-moves-lovelyzs-mijoo-to-tears

• Like 1

Jung Ho Yeon Reveals What She Learned From Her “Squid Game” Role And Reaction To Her Instagram Following

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 17, 2021
by S. P

“Squid Game” actress Jung Ho Yeon participated in an interview for fashion magazine Cosmopolitan, where she shared her reaction to the immense popularity of the Netflix series.

Jung Ho Yeon first discussed what she learned while acting in her role as Kang Sae Byeok. “While acting as Sae Byeok I learned that no matter what, we have to live as humans should,” she shared. “I think learning about life and finding the answer through my character is what acting is. I’m excited that I’ll be able to have different thoughts when I meet my next character.”

Having made her acting debut through “Squid Game,” Jung Ho Yeon commented on being a novice in the field as she said, “It’s great to have people rely on me as an experienced model, but I also think that it’s something wonderful to be a rookie with no experience in an unfamiliar environment. Everything is new, the speed at which you pick things up becomes faster, and you don’t think of coasting through any task.”

Jung-Ho-Yeon-21.jpg

Jung Ho Yeon gained a huge following on her Instagram account thanks to the drama, with her current following standing at over 20 million. Expressing her astonishment at celebrities such as The Weeknd following her account, she said, “I’m just surprised that so many people I like and respect watched ‘Squid Game.'”

Jung Ho Yeon continued, “I reposted The Weeknd’s original post, and it was interesting that he then reposted that. I was most amazed that Zendaya followed me.” She added, “In the future, I want to work together with Hirokazu Koreeda, Paul Thomas Anderson, Quentin Tarantino, and Bong Joon Ho.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1493872wpp/jung-ho-yeon-reveals-what-she-learned-from-her-squid-game-role-and-reaction-to-her-instagram-following

• Like 1

Watch: “Squid Game” Star Anupam Tripathi Hangs Out With Close Friend Park Ju Hyun In “Home Alone” (“I Live Alone”) Preview

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 17, 2021
by E. Cha

Get ready for a fun glimpse inside the everyday life of “Squid Game” star Anupam Tripathi!

In a newly released preview for next week’s episode of MBC’s “Home Alone” (“I Live Alone”), Anupam Tripathi introduces himself to the camera as the show’s latest guest, revealing that he’s lived on his own in Korea for the past 11 years.

After giving viewers a brief tour of his home, Anupam Tripathi reveals his morning routine of praying and making himself a cup of milk tea. “Teatime is my favorite,” he shares. The actor then shows off his cooking skills by whipping up some chicken curry at home, though he also enjoys a meal of piping hot Korean stew outside.

Later on, Anupam Tripathi receives a visit from some of his close friends, including actress Park Ju Hyun, who happily greets him with a hug while exclaiming, “Oppa!” She then jokingly asks him, “How’s life as a superstar?” He laughs, “It’s not like that,” before humbly commenting, “I wouldn’t have made it all the way here if I didn’t have my friends and fellow actors.” Park Ju Hyun replies, “Let’s rise even higher and meet at the top.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1494027wpp/watch-squid-game-star-anupam-tripathi-hangs-out-with-close-friend-park-ju-hyun-in-home-alone-i-live-alone-preview

• Like 1

Jung Ho Yeon Shares Her First Impression Of “Squid Game” And What She Wants In Life

Oct 21, 2021
by U. Kim

“Squid Game” actress Jung Ho Yeon looks ready for Christmas in the November issue of fashion magazine Marie Claire!

The actress took part in a photo shoot for Chanel’s Holiday Makeup Collection with Marie Claire. With her glossy skin, red lips, and blush, she gives off the festive holiday vibe of Christmas season. Chanel’s Holiday Makeup Collection was created to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the perfume line N°5.

jung-ho-yeon-32.jpeg

In the interview following the photo shoot, Jung Ho Yeon spoke about how she felt now that it had been about a month since “Squid Game” was first revealed to the world. She explained that she is now able to fully understand the situation she is in, adding, “I’ve more or less reached the conclusion that the emotion I should be feeling is gratitude.” As for her first impression of “Squid Game,” she shared that it felt “powerful.” “The games are also important, of course, but I felt that it was an entanglement of various elements such as the relationships between the characters and the society that’s formed in the story.”

jung-ho-yeon2.jpeg

Jung Ho Yeon said that she did everything she could in order to deliver her best performance in “Squid Game,” her first-ever acting project. She revealed that by acting in the role of Sae Byeok, she gained an altruistic mind and a wider view of the world. She also remarked, “I know that my life will keep changing, but I hope that I will continue live a steady life as Jung Ho Yeon.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1494678wpp/jung-ho-yeon-shares-her-first-impression-of-squid-game-and-what-she-wants-in-life

• Like 1

“Squid Game” And Lee Jung Jae Nominated For 2021 Gotham Awards

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 22, 2021
by E. Cha

“Squid Game” and its star Lee Jung Jae have both been nominated for the 31st annual Gotham Independent Film Awards!

On October 21 local time, the Gotham Awards officially announced this year’s nominees, and the hit series “Squid Game” snagged two nominations.

“Squid Game” has been nominated for Breakthrough Series – Long Format (over 40 minutes), while star Lee Jung Jae is in the running for Outstanding Performance in a New Series.

Notably, the Gotham Awards has eliminated gendered acting awards for the first time this year, meaning that Lee Jung Jae will be facing competition from both male and female actors within the Outstanding Performance in a New Series category. The “Squid Game” star is up against Jennifer Coolidge (“The White Lotus”), Michael Greyeyes (“Rutherford Falls”), Ethan Hawke (“The Good Lord Bird”), Devery Jacobs (“Reservation Dogs”), Thuso Mbedu (“The Underground Railroad”), Jean Smart (“Hacks”), Omar Sy (“Lupin”), Anya Taylor-Joy (“The Queen’s Gambit”), and Anjana Vasan (“We Are Lady Parts”).

The 31st annual Gotham Awards ceremony will be held in New York on November 29. Check out the full list of nominees here!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1494762wpp/squid-game-and-lee-jung-jae-nominated-for-2021-gotham-awards

• Like 1

“Squid Game” Actor Anupam Tripathi Talks About Working In Korea + Shows His Love For BLACKPINK On “Home Alone”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 23, 2021
by U. Kim

“Squid Game” star Anupam Tripathi revealed his daily life on MBC’s “Home Alone” (“I Live Alone”)!

The actor explained that he came to Korea in 2010 to study acting. He has completed his master’s at the Korea National University of Arts but is living in a semi-basement studio near the university to work on his thesis. He shared that he lived at the university’s dorms for four years, then a rooftop house for three years and a half, returned to the dorms for three years, and then came to his current home.

Anupam Tripathi revealed that he made his film debut in the box office hit “Ode to My Father” after showing his ability to use the Korean dialect during his audition.

Early in the morning, Anupam Tripathi boiled water and milk and cut ginger into slices for his morning tea routine. He shared, “I have tea time because I want to spend and enjoy at least five to ten minutes for myself.”

anupam-tripathi-home-alone-2.jpeg

He called his family in India, and his mother told him that everyone was talking about him, praising him, and congratulating him on his success. His younger brother also said, “Everyone is complimenting you. They ask me if I’m your brother.”

In an interview with the show’s staff, Anupam Tripathi said, “Even before [‘Squid Game’] reached No. 1 in India, my family said they were so proud and happy. My mom was really happy, but she told me not to have my head in the clouds. It’s reassuring to have someone to tell me that.”

When Park Na Rae remarked that he must have had a hard time living on his own for 11 years in a foreign country, the actor responded, “Everyone has a hard time, so I don’t know about that, but I tried to get through the hardships with at least some happiness and joy.” He revealed, “In the first three months, I had food and everything around me was beautiful, but I cried all the time. I cried while studying Korean. At the time, everything felt uncertain, and I was uneasy.”

At home, Anupam Tripathi put some music on before taking a shower. He turned on BLACKPINK’s “How You Like That” and starting jamming out. Park Na Rae asked if he’s a fan of BLACKPINK, and he replied, “Of course!” Asked about his favorite member, he said, “You can’t say that. BLACKPINK is one.”

After washing up, he went to a restaurant near his house to eat spicy soft tofu stew. Regarding his favorite Korean food, he picked bean soybean paste stew for breakfast and lunch, makgeolli (Korean rice liquor) and pajeon (green onion pancake) on rainy days, and baked sweet potato when it’s cold.

anupam-tripathi-home-alone-3.jpeg

After his meal, he went to a grocery store to buy Indian ingredients and returned home to cook chicken curry and paratha (Indian flatbread). It turned out that the food was for his actor friends Park Ju Hyun and Park Pyung Jo who were visiting that day.

When they arrived, they congratulated him on his achievements with “Squid Game.” Park Ju Hyun shared, “When Jung Ho Yeon told me she was acting with you, I was happy about that, but I didn’t know it would do this well. Who would have known you would have taken the world by storm like this?”

Anupam Tripathi remarked, “I immediately became comfortable with them because they always said that I could do it. I don’t think I could have endured it if they weren’t there. I was able to hang on because I had friends like them with me. They looked up words in the dictionary and tried to explain to me in English. Even after 11 years, they’re a great source of support.”

While Anupam Tripathi was busy preparing chai tea, Park Ju Hyun began a surprise party for the actor. She turned off the lights and brought out a cake lit with candles.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1494904wpp/squid-game-actor-anupam-tripathi-talks-about-working-in-korea-shows-his-love-for-blackpink-on-home-alone

• Like 1

'Squid Game' star Heo Sung Tae reveals he never received any formal training in acting

Monday, October 25, 2021
AVvXsEho1-aSQGN88wHvh8XBYp9Olo5hxM1_dT7Rv7fy5hz632EJIcyUgMunItGJ5ZYlfsniYhzxUDuPfn11lTHjyM82NoV-XiFxQ3Cc_QQyk2lLXGG8-z4h-aJjDwyM-cG4i0yApl6Sv4o9XujuQx9GWxtGtelAI8ySHdvQ6vLjnYKTN2E40Y-5_-jelpvy=w427-h640

Article: Ha Sung Tae, "I never learned how to act... I copied what I saw on 'Gag Concert'"

Source: Insight via Instagram

1. [+155] Wow.. he's a prodigy

2. [+109] Wow, so this is what talent looks like

3. [+76] He has a unique face with a strong voice, which I think both really help his acting shine...! I'm sure those two things also limit his range as an actor, but I definitely have a feeling we'll be seeing him for a long time.

4. [+52] His face is definitely not something we see often in the acting world so I think he'll be successful as long as he keeps broadening his boundaries

5. [+31] Why is he so scary when he learned his acting from comedy shows

6. [+10] This is the kind of talent you're born with... I'm so jealous of people who are born with that kind of otherwordly talent in singing or acting ㅠㅠ.. life must be so fun 

7. [+9] Wishing this hyungnim lots of success!

8. His acting's insane though

9. Amazing to think he's never received any formal training in acting..

10. He's so cool..

-AVvXsEg5_hRLlt8HSYbh6KAIZ18YoRaSMAa47-uh

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2021/10/squid-game-star-heo-sung-tae-reveals-he.html

• Like 1

BTS, TXT, And “Squid Game” Nominated For 2021 People’s Choice Awards

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 27, 2021
by E. Cha

The 2021 People’s Choice Awards has officially announced this year’s nominees!

On October 27 local time, the People’s Choice Awards revealed its nominations for the upcoming award ceremony, which determines all of its awards through votes by the general public.

BTS snagged four nominations for three awards this year: in addition to being nominated for The Group of 2021, they are also in the running for The Song of 2021 (with their smash hit “Butter“) and The Music Video of 2021. Both BTS’s music video for “Butter” and their joint music video with Coldplay for their collab single “My Universe” have been nominated for The Music Video of 2021. (BTS won all three awards at the 2020 People’s Choice Awards last year.)

Meanwhile, TXT has been nominated for The New Artist of 2021, facing off against fellow nominees 24kGoldn, Bella Poarch, Giveon, Olivia Rodrigo, Rauw Alejandro, Tate McRae, and The Kid LAROI.

Finally, over in the TV category, the hit series “Squid Game” scored a nomination for The Bingeworthy Show of 2021. The other shows nominated this year are “Cobra Kai,” “Loki,” “Mare of Easttown,” “Outer Banks,” “Sex/Life,” “Ted Lasso,” and “The White Lotus.”

The 2021 People’s Choice Awards will air live on December 7 at 9 p.m. ET, and voting is open on their official website here until November 17. You can also check out the full list of nominees here!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1495673wpp/bts-txt-and-squid-game-nominated-for-2021-peoples-choice-awards

• Like 1

October 29, 2021

Speculating on 'Squid Game'

spacer.pngNetflix 

By Peter Y. Paik

After the unprecedented best picture Oscar won by "Parasite," another South Korean cultural product, "Squid Game," has achieved global prominence. It is now the most-watched show on Netflix, having drawn over 111 million viewers during the first 17 days of its release.

In the series, a group of impoverished and desperate Koreans play a series of children's games in their quest to win an enormous cash prize (the equivalent of $38 million). The catch is that the games are set up so that losers in the game are not only disqualified but also killed.

Detractors of the series have pointed out that the series is derivative of earlier works, such as the Japanese film "Battle Royale" and the American novel and film, "The Hunger Games." The storyline where ordinary people are compelled to kill each other in a brutal and bloody competition for survival is nothing new.

Yet there does appear to be something different about Squid Game. True, the show is excessively graphic in showing the corpses of the losers being dissected for organs before being shoved into furnaces. And critics who decry the thinness of its characters have a point. The pacing of events serves to kill off key participants too abruptly. The tattooed gangster, the girl whose father was killed, the kind immigrant worker, and the scheming middle-aged woman all die before they can fulfill their promise as fictional characters.

But the visual scheme of the series has an almost hypnotic effect on the viewer ― the pink uniforms worn by the faceless guards in black masks provide an arresting contrast to the dark green tracksuits worn by the players. The environments in which they play their games are often painted in bright pastels or bathed in a golden light, evoking a nostalgia for childhood that accompanies them to their doom.

The most fascinating aspect of Squid Game may also be the most shocking one. The series routinely juxtaposes the heart-rending distress and gut-wrenching anguish of the players with the repulsive and disgusting sight of their bodies being lowered into coffins with garish pink ribbons wrapped around the lid.

But the effect of the scenes where the faceless pink-suited workers dispose of the corpses is curiously anticlimactic. All the agonized pleas for mercy, the impassioned protests against cruelty and injustice, are reduced to an inhuman silence by the sight of the bodies, including of those characters for whom the viewers have come to feel a strong sympathy. The game must go on. It is more important than the feelings of identification that the viewer establishes with the suffering characters onscreen.

The pacing of the story, in other words, is determined by the game more than it is by the interest we may take in the characters. And the rapidity with which the characters are killed off, more than making the audience feel moral outrage at the vicious and predatory nature of the competition, serves to anesthetize the viewer. Indeed, what lingers longer than our sorrow at the violent deaths of the characters is a helpless sense of defilement at the sight of their violated and bloody corpses.

Such an unpleasant and disagreeable sensation creates an unsettling parallel between the viewer and the wealthy VIPs who show up to take in the bloody proceedings. For it may not ultimately be the spectacle of murder and mayhem that attracts these corrupt and jaded rich men, but rather their desire to witness the raw and intense emotions produced by the threat of violent death.

In this respect, the VIPs are not very different from the viewers of the series. They simply wish to see in real life a suspenseful drama that we want to enjoy on screen. But the series closes on a note indicating that all is not as it appears to be. Not only was one of the VIPs a participant in the game, but the Front Man, played by Lee Byung-hun, carries out his duties with both stern professionalism and unexpected tact. He had himself been a winner of the game in a prior year.

The Front Man does not behave as a sadist relishing the sight of human suffering. His face is thoughtful, his bearing somber, and he appears to be motivated by the need to perform a terrible duty rather than by the desire for selfish gain.

While this prognostication may prove to be a spoiler, the series seems to be setting us up for the revelation that the Front Man sees himself as the protector of the nation, and that the purpose of these cruel games might be to prevent something far worse from happening to the country.

For the bind in which Korea finds itself is having achieved enormous prosperity and now worldwide cultural influence under an economic system that seems to consign much of its population to poverty, childlessness and despair. The harshness of this system is not in doubt, but it appears to be the only game in town.

What would it mean to stop playing this game, where so many pay the price in hardship, loneliness, and desolation, but where others have achieved great prosperity and produced outstanding cultural achievements?

The talent and professionalism of the Front Man may express the determination to make the best of a game that Korea itself did not chose, but was forced on the country through political upheaval and economic crisis. The well-being of Korea, however, may well depend on being able to imagine an alternative to a system that has brought the country much distinction while also depriving it of its future.

Peter Yoonsuk Paik (pypaik@gmail.com) teaches in the English Department at Yonsei University. The views expressed in the article are the author's own and do not reflect the editorial direction of The Korea Times.

Source:  http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2021/10/137_317224.html

• Like 1

How to Get All the Costumes From Squid Game Including the Jumpsuits and Masks

OCT 13, 2021

With Squid Game on track to become the biggest non-English language hit in the history of Netflix—and in doing so surpassing that other red jumpsuit show, Money Heist—it’s safe to assume Halloween is going to look even more like a dystopian event than in previous pandemic years. Thankfully most costumes—which include face-covering masks—should be CDC approved.

There are four main costumes to build. You've got the guard: red hooded jumpsuits, black belts/harnesses, and plastic fencer-like masks with one of three shapes decaled in white across the eyes—triangle, circle, and square. You've got the players: blue and white sweats and track jackets—and slip-on Vans sneakers. You've got the Front Man: mask and trench coat. And you've got that creepy giant robot doll—this will take some mixing and matching, or simply buying a ready-made costume.

(Some insight into the doll: the Squid Game production crew actually built a giant doll for the "Red Light, Green Light" game. Art Director Chae Kyoung-sun explained that the inspiration for the look came from textbook illustrations during the period of the schoolyard game's popularity in the 70s and 80s. Tell this to your costume party friends as you sufficiently creep them out by dressing as a small Korean child.)

With Halloween fast approaching, however, you've only got so much time, and Amazon will be quickly selling out. (If you're truly strapped for time, maybe just find a guard mask and wear something red. Close enough.) For group costumes, you're gonna wanna buy, like, yesterday.

Here’s how to get every Squid Game costume this Halloween—including guards and players.

(Just a note: We don’t recommend carrying a gun, however fake, through your neighborhood, so we’re forgoing that component.)

more https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a37789141/squid-game-costume/