[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Romance of Tiger and Rose 传闻中的陈芊芊

pad-hari

1 hour ago, marinated_lemon said:

I think YX still looks better on Romance of Tiger and Rose.

I found another picture of him (cr: owner) in which he looks nice

https://www.pinterest.es/pin/680817668659108044/

https://www.pinterest.es/pin/680817668659108043/

Thank you. Awww he so cute here.

He looks hot to me whether with long hair or short hair.

Even if he go bald, he still hot to me:P

He remind me of a cute puppy:wub:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Binged this over the weekend, just in time! I was interested due to the matriarchy setting, so I came in expecting more gender politics, and maybe clashing between matriarchy/patriarchy ideals and otp scheming against each other, alas that was not meant to be. That's fine, it wasn't what the drama was aiming for, the tone would have been probably more serious, and perhaps even depressing, and higher chance of plot holes (due to scheming) and higher budget that this drama probably doesn't have.

That said, I'm still fairly happy when it does comment on gender politics, and it's well aware that matriarchy is just complete flip of patriarchy (passing comment instory) which is part of why sometimes the setup makes me uncomfortable, although generally these stories will try to have more equal society in the end. It was a genre/gimmick that got used a fair bit in chinese webnovel for awhile, but I think this is first time I've seen it in drama setting, which makes it very refreshing. It's probably more accurate to say the drama is someone with modern values with feminist values (but doesn't necessarily emphasis on them) clashing with patriarchy & matriarchy society, matriarchy makes certain common historical values/tropes (e.g. degrading women in passing) much more ridiculous and makes pointing out unreasonable practices easier (since we aren't used to its values).  I actually somehow missed Han Shuo's country was patriarchal in the beginning and found his mannerism jarring, till I realised my mistake XD

Huge props to the scriptwriter for juggling the light heartedness, playing with cliche tropes but give it a nice twist, throw out some gold one liners and balancing between themes while progressing the story snappily. A lot of people have pointed out how well the drama uses various tropes, I like some of the sharp comments and cheeky metaness from QianQian, like her putting in filler lines for her servant, or her saying insisting on keeping Orange in the story is due to request from Party A (?) + Orange has investors backing LMAO. The fact that QianQian is stuck in author mode, and constantly trying to fix the story and make the plot stray further away is hysterical. Even when she's actively avoiding returning/denying Han Shuo's affection, I find it fairly reasonable, because this is a fictional word, and her end goal was going home, it's a common theme for teleporting to a different world.

I quite like Han Shuo's characterisation, schemers have always been my kind of male lead, and I like that he shows his softer side very quickly, and he's very go getter. It avoids the cold stoic lead or jerk with heart of gold's initial unlikeable phase, and you don't really have misunderstandings. Not much misunderstanding between otp is huge plus for me, when they do happen, both sides have their reasons help a lot too. The fact that both parties are quick to apologise once they realise they are at fault is a literal godsend. Taking a step back, both the leads have fair amount of protag halo, HS is a very capable character and he's constantly helping QQ once he starts to like her, QQ has her title + her mum's affection + her knowing the future and everyone's characterisation makes a huge part of her life easier + plot armour (accidentally finding oil is just wild). I don't quite mind since they are both very likeable and the narrative isn't shy to admit their protag halo. It also helps they have fairly noticeable flaws, and the advantages otp has often create more conflicts (like with ChuChu) or are at odds with each other (like with the Crown Princess test).

I find Pei Heng's look doesn't quite fit his role, he looks like a general (well okay he will be one), but as of now, he doesn't quite fit what I think a 翩翩公子 (rich & well educated son of officials?) would be like. I think it's because he grew up in matriarchy, so he's meant to stick out, and perhaps it's on me, since I have very specific image for his character type. The dissonance with Su Mu is even stronger, I thought it was dissonance between face and mannerism, but I think it might be his (probably?) dubbed voice. I actually like his voice, and it fits the role very well, but it's incompatible with the actor/acting, I think he's speaking in a...radio drama-y way too, it's different from how everyone talks, half the time his lines gives me hibbies jeebies. I like his character though, and I'm glad he isn't really pining for QQ, hope he gets happy ending with Yuanyuan.

I love the sisterly love from Chuchu and Yuanyuan. YY is pretty pessimistic, and her tendencies to try put things off by making excuses makes her pretty relatable for me, but the drama doesn't dwell on it much and tends to exaggerate it for comedy effect, so I rather like her. It's very sweet how QQ tried to get her to do rehab, and it clear YY likes this new QQ that has mature and cares for other people. CC is clearly very protective of QQ (first 5? ep), and we don't see her jealousy till her mum's favouritism comes into play with Dragon Bone and Crown Princess arc. Even with the bandit arc, she turned antagonistic as she grew tired of QQ getting everything with little effort and bitter, I find it pretty understandable, because it's true that luck tends to be on QQ's side. I'm not a fan that she thinks HS is just some toy that QQ can return, but she's bitter and she grew up considering men almost like property. I'm torn between wanting to see become a villain since it's a great trope and fun character development, and her figuring out a lot of things were misunderstanding, she overcome her insecurity and reconcile with QQ, hopefully we'll have both :P

Oh I rather liked most people's costumes and makeup to be honest, especially for the female characters. I was somewhat puzzled by QQ's first outfit, the red one with skin colour undertop or whatever you call it, I thought she was just wearing red scarves around herself, which fit her devil may care and promiscuous characterisation XD I liked her hair and make up, even if I really couldn't figure out how her hair held up, I liked that her makeup was lighter and different once the author woke up in her body. The clothes resemble regular historical costumes, but sometimes they have straps or is actually a sleeveless dress, very handy for costume department lol. The sheer top QQ wears a lot looks nice too, disregarding historical accuracy, I don't really need that in fake fantasy history. IDK if anyone notice, but the bottom of her skirts (and some of HS and I spotted one of Pei Heng's pants) are tulle-like, I find them oddly cute, I guess it's to give the clothes more volume without adding much weight/money.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Adidaem said:

Latest clip from tonight’s episode. QQ will confess her love to HS and say that she’s willing to stay for him

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4511074365854778

this is what we & HS were waiting for, i can also assume that the 3 story teller will be delighted in hearing the coming together of Banana and Orange

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

5 hours ago, arcchidus said:

Well in China, it's only legally released by 騰訊. To watch the final episodes legally you will have to get a VIP account and pay $3 dollars for additional episodes. Otherwise, tonight they will only release up to episode 16 for VIPs and ep 10 for free. I think the site is this: https://v.qq.com/

In North America (and I think Europe?) it's released on Viki and 騰訊's Youtube channel. The only thing is you won't get the latest episodes, cause they are releasing only the free episodes there. 

It's also released at the same time with China in the US via the We TV app/website, if you purchase subscription. It's pretty cheap, 4.99$ / month. Unfortunately they don't offer release of all eps like in China (it's up to ep 16 today, English subbed).

• Like 2

Sneak preview clip

HS: Do you regret how you treated me previously? Your confession just now... is it real? 

(QQ kisses HS)

PH: For QQ, HS is actually willing to give up the plan to attack HuaYuan city and retreat in the battle of the two cities. Does this mean he’s sincere towards QQ? [duh! Any moron can tell he is besotted lol] 

HS: Still want a separation? 
QQ: Let’s not separate 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

It's also released at the same time with China in the US via the We TV app/website, if you purchase subscription. It's pretty cheap, 4.99$ / month. Unfortunately they don't offer release of all eps like in China (it's up to ep 16 today, English subbed).

honestly because of time difference i will wait untill tmr come to watch the full eps(in peace & quiet), but for now i will spoil myself with small release clips xD

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

Am I the only one who likes Yuxi with long hair? He looks so badass!

yes i like him with long hair, he looks more mature for some reason and his facial structure is more define (in my opinion) but when he has short hair is like more boyish vibe, more innocent looking, i think its also the styling of the hair and also the illusion the hair creates 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Reverie said:

Sneak preview clip

HS: Do you regret how you treated me previously? Your confession just now... is it real? 

(QQ kisses HS)

PH: For QQ, HS is actually willing to give up the plan to attack HuaYuan city and retreat in the battle of the two cities. Does this mean he’s sincere towards QQ? [duh! Any moron can tell he is besotted lol] 

HS: Still want a separation? 
QQ: Let’s not separate 

i'm starting to think that the actor from eps1 also went into this world, considering they both knew the script, (although she alter it, the storylines are pretty much similar) 

but is this foreshowing how they will also be together in another world ? -_-

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Reverie said:

Cuteness overload!!! HS and QQ can’t bear to separate and I LOLed at their silly love antics while trying to bid each other goodnight 

Yes.. both of them are so cute! The servants have to pry and pull them apart.. so funny

n he sneaked back into her room via the window !!!! So sweet!!!

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

@lavvarr HS hasn’t shown any sign of being the actor but QQ confesses to HS about her modern world identity in this clip

-scene1-

HS: Are all scriptwriters from your world as cute as you are? 
QQ: Not just cute but also incredibly talented. Every scriptwriter spends a lot of effort into creating their story. Although there may be some minor plot holes, contrived plot devices or dull machinations; the scriptwriter loves every character penned. Sometimes, she will even romance her own character [meta-reference to HS here]

HS: So have you romanced PH? 
QQ: It’s not the same! You’re the male lead - ML belongs to the female lead; the 2ML belongs to the audience 

HS: What’s the ending to this story? 
QQ: Ah.. the ending was originally for CC to inherit the throne while there was a solar eclipse and the heavenly gates opened. I fell asleep while I wrote until this part then came to this place. So I’m guessing maybe I can only return to my world on the day of the phenomenon. Are you afraid I will leave? 

-scene 2- 

QQ: I’m finally attached! (A modern slang) 

HS: Attached..? Xiao Qian... 

QQ: Shuo Shuo 

-scene 3- 

QQ voiceover: I decided to stay in this dream only for HS.. henceforth, how can I continue to live on? 

Caption: Is it a HE or BE? You Guess? [LOL what a tease]

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

41 minutes ago, lavvarr said:

honestly because of time difference i will wait untill tmr come to watch the full eps(in peace & quiet), but for now i will spoil myself with small release clips xD

I have WeTV premium and episode 15 and 16 are available to watch since 5 AM this morning.  I live in USA central time zone.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

The dissonance with Su Mu is even stronger, I thought it was dissonance between face and mannerism, but I think it might be his (probably?) dubbed voice. I actually like his voice, and it fits the role very well, but it's incompatible with the actor/acting, I think he's speaking in a...radio drama-y way too, it's different from how everyone talks, half the time his lines gives me hibbies jeebies. 

I love the sisterly love from Chuchu and Yuanyuan. YY is pretty pessimistic, and her tendencies to try put things off by making excuses makes her pretty relatable for me, but the drama doesn't dwell on it much and tends to exaggerate it for comedy effect, so I rather like her. It's very sweet how QQ tried to get her to do rehab, and it clear YY likes this new QQ that has mature and cares for other people. CC is clearly very protective of QQ (first 5? ep), and we don't see her jealousy till her mum's favouritism comes into play with Dragon Bone and Crown Princess arc. Even with the bandit arc, she turned antagonistic as she grew tired of QQ getting everything with little effort and bitter, I find it pretty understandable, because it's true that luck tends to be on QQ's side.

The actor of SM is quite miscasted I would say, or the director didn’t care for his role. He is a pretty face but his acting comes off slimy. He even walks like a snake. Together with the unfitting voice his character, for me, is somewhat shady and mean instead of insecure and depressed.

CC is just a child throwing a tantrum, that she wasn’t loved enough. All people who care about her and not her position are telling her that she probably isn’t the victim she sees herself but she doesn’t care of their opinion enough to let that sink in. Heck, even HS could see that and told her to stop. She is a spoiled brat who wants the power but doesn’t want to learn the responsibility who comes with it, something her other sisters clearly learned. Her mother wanted to give her the city but she couldn’t after she noticed she only cared for herself alone.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lovehuche said:

I have WeTV premium and episode 15 and 16 are available to watch since 5 AM this morning.  I like in USA central time zone.

It it 2 pm here and it quite perfect for me since I can watch it in my lunch pause. Okay, today is better...it is national holiday :phew:.

• Like 1