[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Romance of Tiger and Rose 传闻中的陈芊芊

pad-hari

1 minute ago, lynne22 said:

Aiyaaa Poor Yuanyuan.. :( Now, she's stuck with Lu Ping....

Hope she'll get a happy ending at the end with Su Mu.... 

I don’t think she has to be stuck with him. She has, for the first time, made a decision and stuck with it. She started to grew a backbone and people like LP who are greedy surely will fail. I don’t worry for her. She will make her way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

That said, I'm still fairly happy when it does comment on gender politics, and it's well aware that matriarchy is just complete flip of patriarchy (passing comment) which is part of why sometimes the setup makes me uncomfortable, although generally these stories will try to have more equal society in the end. It was a genre/gimmick that got used a fair bit in chinese webnovel for awhile, but I think this is first time I've seen it in drama setting, which makes it very refreshing. It's probably more accurate to say the drama someone with modern values with feminist values (but doesn't necessarily emphasis on them) clashing with patriarchy & matriarchy society, matriarchy makes certain common historical values/tropes (e.g. degrading women in passing) much more ridiculous and makes pointing out unreasonable practices easier (since we aren't used to its values).  I actually somehow missed Han Shuo's country was patriarchal in the beginning and found his mannerism jarring, till I realised my mistake XD

Huge props to the scriptwriter for balancing the light heartedness, playing with cliche tropes but give it a nice twist, throw out some gold one liners and balancing between themes while progressing the story snappily. A lot of people have pointed out how well the drama uses various tropes, I like some of the sharp comments and cheeky metaness from QianQian, like her putting in filler lines for her servant, or her saying insisting on keeping Orange in the story is due to request from Party A (?) + Orange has investors backing LMAO. The fact that QianQian is stuck in author mode, and constantly trying to fix the story and make the plot stray further away is hysterical. Even when she's actively avoiding returning/denying Han Shuo's affection, I find it fairly reasonable, because this is a fictional word, and her end goal was going home, it's a common theme for teleporting to a different world.

I don't think they could have told a coherent story with good pacing had they gone the serious route with just 24 episodes. So I am ultra glad they went for lighthearted story with mild social commentary. And yes, the balance in the script is excellent!! I have not seen such a funny and heart felt show in a long time.

I quite like Han Shuo's characterisation, schemers have always been my kind of male lead, and I like that he shows his softer side very quickly, and he's very go getter. It avoids the cold stoic lead or jerk with heart of gold's initial unlikeable phase, and you don't really have misunderstandings. Not much misunderstanding between otp is huge plus for me, when they do happen, both sides have their reasons help a lot too. The fact that both parties are quick to apologise once they realise they are at fault is a literal godsend. Taking a step back, both the leads have fair amount of protag halo, HS is a very capable character and he's constantly helping QQ once he starts to like her, QQ has her title + her mum's affection + her knowing the future and everyone's characterisation makes a huge part of her life easier + plot armour (accidentally finding oil is just wild). I don't quite mind since they are both very likeable and the narrative isn't shy to admit their protag halo. It also helps they have fairly noticeable flaws, and the advantages otp has often create more conflicts (like with ChuChu) or are at odds with each other (like with the Crown Princess test).

HS is ultra lovable because of just how open he is. He doesn't hide anything! Not the bad and not the good and that's why it worked for me! And I love how quickly the two sides apologize to each other too! It's so refreshing to see those two have a healthy relationship for once (unlike a lot of other historical drama).

Oh I rather liked most people's costumes and makeup to be honest, especially for the female characters. I was somewhat puzzled by QQ's first outfit, the red one with skin colour undertop or whatever you call it, I thought she was just wearing red scarves around herself, which fit her devil may care and promiscuous characterisation XD I liked her hair and make up, even if I really couldn't figure out how her hair held up, I liked that her makeup was lighter and different once the author woke up in her body. The clothes resemble regular historical costumes, but sometimes they have straps or is actually a sleeveless dress, very handy for costume department lol. The sheer top QQ wears a lot looks nice too, disregarding historical accuracy, I don't really need that in fake fantasy history. IDK if anyone notice, but the bottom of her skirts (and some of HS and I spotted one of Pei Heng's pants) are tulle-like, I find them oddly cute, I guess it's to give the clothes more volume without adding much weight/money.

I am like 200% impressed with how this show has a low budget but still managed to make some very creative and beautiful costumes! None of he costumes are made with expensive material, but they all look very unique in it's own ways! This isn't supposed to be true to history, so I felt like the non historical / but historically inspired clothes were okay in my books. Over all I just love it!

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, lovehuche said:

I have WeTV premium and episode 15 and 16 are available to watch since 5 AM this morning.  I live in USA central time zone.

I live in australia, i actually sleep very early, it almost 12 about now

• LOL 1

19 minutes ago, Usi said:

The actor of SM is quite miscasted I would say, or the director didn’t care for his role. He is a pretty face but his acting comes off slimy. He even walks like a snake. Together with the unfitting voice his character, for me, is somewhat shady and mean instead of insecure and depressed.

CC is just a child throwing a tantrum, that she wasn’t loved enough. All people who care about her and not her position are telling her that she probably isn’t the victim she sees herself but she doesn’t care of their opinion enough to let that sink in. Heck, even HS could see that and told her to stop. She is a spoiled brat who wants the power but doesn’t want to learn the responsibility who comes with it, something her other sisters clearly learned. Her mother wanted to give her the city but she couldn’t after she noticed she only cared for herself alone.

I get the impression the actor is going for soft spoken and walking wantonly, but it just came off...wrong, maybe more androgynous look might help? Ah well, it's hard enough to look decently pretty with the wigs.

She's entirely focused on how little she's recognised for her efforts and hardwork, other people telling her doesn't quite sink it in, because her mum still favours QQ over her. Some wounds just runs deep, and she has always done a decent job, so she's expected to do well at whatever she's doing, when she sorely needs praise and recognition. She's unreasonable and yeah it's tantrum throwing, but I don't think she just wants power and no responsibility, she continue to do her job fairly well even after QQ has been made Crown Princess.

• LOL 1

There’s was a live stream just before the new episodes aired with YX!! 

He was ultra funny and actually juiced a peach, drank the juice (complaining how bad the justice was) then he put an orange and banana on his head when asked about the CP. See link for picture of him with an orange and banana on his head  

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4511120495020642

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

42 minutes ago, Reverie said:

@lavvarr HS hasn’t shown any sign of being the actor but QQ confesses to HS about her modern world identity in this clip

-scene1-

HS: Are all scriptwriters from your world as cute as you are? 
QQ: Not just cute but also incredibly talented. Every scriptwriter spends a lot of effort into creating their story. Although there may be some minor plot holes, contrived plot devices or dull machinations; the scriptwriter loves every character penned. Sometimes, she will even romance her own character [meta-reference to HS here]

HS: So have you romanced PH? 
QQ: It’s not the same! You’re the male lead - ML belongs to the female lead; the 2ML belongs to the audience 

HS: What’s the ending to this story? 
QQ: Ah.. the ending was originally for CC to inherit the throne while there was a solar eclipse and the heavenly gates opened. I fell asleep while I wrote until this part then came to this place. So I’m guessing maybe I can only return to my world on the day of the phenomenon. Are you afraid I will leave? 

-scene 2- 

QQ: I’m finally attached! (A modern slang) 

HS: Attached..? Xiao Qian... 

QQ: Shuo Shuo 

-scene 3- 

QQ voiceover: I decided to stay in this dream only for HS.. henceforth, how can I continue to live on? 

Caption: Is it a HE or BE? You Guess? [LOL what a tease]

Which episode is this clip from?

10 minutes ago, skibbies said:

I get the impression the actor is going for soft spoken and walking wantonly, but it just came off...wrong, maybe more androgynous look might help? Ah well, it's hard enough to look decently pretty with the wigs.

He is trying to act like a geisha but male version. I think it’s meant to be jarring because that just doesn’t exist in real life. I don’t mind it once I think about it that way.

• Like 2

@Vivi123 mostly cut from ep22 :) 

I agree with @arcchidus I have a soft spot for YY and Su Mu pairing.. I think SM is quite a unique character and the actor is very different in his prince role in "And The Winner Is Love" so I can appreciate the way he has portrayed SM as a male courtesan who is sensitive to the needs of his patrons. The wantonly vibe is exactly on point and true to character.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

how much longer do you have to wait? do you understand chinese or you need subs?

I want to watch it too, but I need subs:bawling:

Did you already watch until the final episode?

If you did, can you give little hint about the ending?

Is is happy ending?

Open ending?

Sad ending?(please not:tears:)

• LOL 1

I don’t need subs but I feel almost afraid to binge watch everything. My life will be so empty after watching the last episode lol. 

Anyone else feeling like that? Recs for good shows/distractions pls! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

1 minute ago, angelangie said:

oooo....those of you who can watch raw is going to be happy....

they have released everything up to episode 24

Leaks have been pretty limited for a show that’s already out! I think the hard core fans who paid really want this show to succeed so they are holding out on posting about it and asking all their friends to pay for it legitimately.

They are also trying to increase viewership counts but the new counting method requires ppl to watch over 20 min without skipping or speeding up. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

1 minute ago, arcchidus said:

He is trying to act like a geisha but male version. I think it’s meant to be jarring because that just doesn’t exist in real life. I don’t mind it once I think about it that way.

Yeah I get that, and they did actually exist in history, called 小倌. I don't think it's just the difference in background thing, everything about him just screams "run" to me lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1