[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

@hwonhwon_stv Thx for sharing the Korean viewer’s thoughts re the general public, ratings and the assumption on age and language. 

I disagree with the age and language thing - I know plenty of 40s (I also am in this age bracket) and older friends in Asia that don’t mind realistic language and curses for TV and dramas. So I don’t think that’s the real reason. 

I do agree that it’s more of the general public are not on board with the themes of this drama about mental health, social judgements etc. - it’s not a ‘comfort’ topic at the moment with an ongoing pandemic. Also fairy tales being really explained to their original darker roots - it conflicts with the ideal that these tales are magical and lovely escapism. lastly, many people don’t like shows that make them reflect on themselves or explore darker human characteristics. 

Even among international fans, I even see lots of people writing this show off just because it about mental health alone. Such a shame because we all know it’s an incredible show.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to many viewers shared on the BTS, however did you notice some of the video clips wasn't the same as the EP preview, there were quite a number of scenes cut out and not appeared in drama :
1. MY was wearing her pink cardigan and holding the dangling doll
2. MY and KT were playing on the long shaky bridge
3. MY and KT were hugging at the beach instead of holding hands before break-off
4. May be more...
The only reason we could explain is that due to the screen time constraint and the director needs to select the best, it's a pity they trimmed the funny parts showcase in the bridge and the night bed scene. :lol:

In my opinion, the only flaw that I found in this drama was that at times appearing the interchangeability of the plots. The interesting dialogues between the two main leads was often too short (what a pity) and the drama can sometimes quickly switch to another scene, such as in the hospital or others,which I thought was lacking drama tension and continuous inertia. Anyone noticed that?

My wishlist before they may have any open ending (?) :
1. Give them more kissing scenes
2. Give MY an extension of her hair, (I am fine with her short hair, but I still prefer her long black hair). She is the fashion icon in this role, so I won't mind if they let her showcase her hairstyle and fashion again, because long hair can do wonder, :D unless the writer has the intention to change her taste :lol:).
3. Three of them (MY, KT & ST) out for camping soon

MY is the most interesting character in this drama and I am sure many have already described her role in-depth. There is a folktale called "Lonely Princess" that comes from two different countries, one from India, one from Germany. Both are also describing a beautiful girl imprisoned in a lonely palace or a tower. My guess is the writer might have been inspired by this folktale "Lonely Princess" and thus created a symbolic character for MY in this drama. :D

Love everything about this show. The characters/acting, the chemistry, the story. Just everything.

This is what I needed. They delivered.

The last Korean drama I watched just gave me Korean drama depression and I always hate when that happens.

Seo Yeji, ever since Save Me, she has been on a roll. So happy to see her becoming a successful actress.

giphy.gif

At this point, I’ve stopped thinking about the mysteries but oh gosh re ^the theories (whaaat?!? Lol) and will wait to see if the show surprises me or how the writer weaves it all together. I want to focus on appreciating it as we only have a few episodes left! Can’t believe it went by soo fast. 

:crazily:

I can't accept that ST and MY are siblings. MY and GT are doomed if this is the case. They cannot give us this plot while there are only 6 more episodes left to the drama. I have good feelings towards GT and ST's Mom, I really hope she stays their true Mom.

Even if it could be possibile about ST and MY be sibilings, at this point drama should be 20 episodes! I DEMAND a lot of KISSES... I don't need a bed scene BUT I REQUEST ABSOLUTELY A PASSIONATE KISS between OTP!!!:coolshades:

13 hours ago, lolly84 said:

Even if it could be possibile about ST and MY be sibilings, at this point drama should be 20 episodes! I DEMAND a lot of KISSES... I don't need a bed scene BUT I REQUEST ABSOLUTELY A PASSIONATE KISS between OTP!!!

At this point, I have my suspicions that such a kiss won't happen. If we get any kiss at all, it'll be again something similar to the "peck".

My theory is not that MY & ST are siblings but that ST & KT are not brothers. :D In fact, I am pretty sure they are not. Wondering though, whether they are not brothers at all (not sharing same mother and father) or just the father is different.

This theory of mine intensifies even more, considering Oh Jung-se (the actor playing ST) in one interview says several times about Kim Soo-hyun "I am his biological brother," to which they both laugh. Gotta be suspicious about that. :P 

The week is slowly creeping towards the weekend, only Wednesday.

http://theindependent.sg/kim-soo-hyun-finds-happiness-in-the-drama-its-okay-to-not-be-okay/

Kim Soo Hyun finds happiness in the drama It’s Okay To Not Be Okay

AUTHOR

DATE

July 21, 2020

Things happen when the caretaker in a psychiatric hospital meets a children's storybook writer

Seoul — South Korean cable television channel tvN’s drama It’s Okay To Not Be Okay has given fans a glimpse of Kim Soo Hyun and Seo Ye Ji going on a romantic date.

Spoiler ahead! On the earlier episode of the drama, Moon Kang Tae (played by Kim Soo Hyun) decided to listen to his heart instead of his head for the first time in his life.

Thanks to his strong sense of responsibility and the stresses of having to take care of his older brother from an early age, Moon had never deviated from the rules or let himself be swayed by his emotions.

So when a patient’s abusive former husband physically attacked Go Moon Young (played by Seo Ye Ji), Moon was unable to stop himself from punching the man in her defence and, as a result of that, earned himself a suspension from the hospital.

With It’s Okay To Not Be Okay going into the second half of its run, the producers tease that this uncharacteristic behaviour is barely the start of Moon’s transformation.

Moon is smiling all the way in newly-released stills from the drama’s coming episode. The caretaker spends a carefree day with Go and enjoys freedom for the first time in years.

Unlike his past muted emotions, Moon smiles happily at the camera as he posed for a selfie with Go during the day. At night, they share a relaxing drink as they enjoy the warm summer weather outdoors.

The two of them start to grow closer and they start to finally find the courage to look inside themselves at the emotional scars they had previously been afraid to face.

Moon is a caretaker who works in a psychiatric hospital and he has no time for romance. Go is a children’s storybook writer with an anti-social personality disorder.

The two of them meet and begin to heal each other’s emotional scars. /TISG

I share this reaction video, they are Koreans, I like their videos, thanks to them I realized some things that I didn't notice before

For example they noticed that the scene of Kang Tae and Moon Young in the car was a parody of this scene in the drama I'm Sorry I Love You :)

yay its thursday already, a couple more days until the next ep! 

in the meantime, I've been rewatching episode 9 and 10. ngl upon first watch, i was kinda disappointed by KT's reaction to leaving MY (it didn't feel emotional enough for me, so i was like KT, show us you care!! haha) However upon rewatch, I realised it was fitting for his character as KT was just reverting back to his old self i.e. suppressing his emotions once again. The scene where he walks away from her at the beach, you can tell he's holding back. I think the show did such a great job at showing KT slowly opening himself and showing his real emotions, that when he reverted back to being a 'robot', his reaction felt unfitting to what had happened. Despite this however, he did show signs of emotion when it came to MY e.g. telling her dad she's not a monster and at the end when he thought something bad had happened to MY. this is all very fitting as we know MY will be the one to bring him back to life in a sense and really help him live. 

Hi, everyone! I've been lurking on this forum and can't hold it anymore not to join you all in discussing this drama :D

It's thursday already~ Is it only me or anyone here also think that there will be nothing happened after KT comes to the castle? Imagining KT rushes there to see MY and OR are drinking together:joy:

Also, when I rewatch ep 10, it seems like head nurses who whispers to MY's dad, dunno why but I just see the lips and cheek features belong to the head nurse.

I really wish there will be no more separation for MY and KT. We have 6 eps left but we can see the rainbow in their relationship already. Hopefully the mistery of their mom wont be the problem that separate them again but how they can help each other to heal their trauma.

Just my two cents, am so happy to read all the insights here:wub:

[HanCinema's News] "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" Attracts a Sizable International Fanbase

While domestic South Korean have lamented the apparent drop in drama popularity since the conclusion of "The World of the Married" internationally South Korean dramas are still maintaining a high profile. Much of this is thanks to the success of "It's Okay to Not Be Okay". The return project of Kim Soo-hyun has underwhelmed in domestic terrestrial ratings but has struck a major chord on Netflix, where it has charted in quite a few far flung countries.

In Asia "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" has done well in the usual markets of Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore. It also has a strong following in South America, with Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, and Peru all demonstrating interest in the drama. Even Nigeria and Australia have proved demonstrations of the drama's worldwide popularity. "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" also enjoys high ratings on viewer aggregate ranking sites, beating out "The King: Eternal Monarch" and even "Crash Landing on You"

Some of the stated reasons for this popularity include the drama's deliberate emphasis on mental health issues. The titular psychopath played by Seo Ye-ji is a psychopath in the medical sense rather than the pejorative sense. The older brother of Kim Soo-hyun's character, played by Oh Jung-se, has autism. And the mental health facility where Kim Soo-hyun's character works is filled with various mental patients with relatively realistically drawn disabilities.

Such a deliberate focus narrows the drama's appeal somewhat, as many viewers have found the characters to be offputting. But "It's Okay to Not Be Okay" has offset the limits of this appeal in the domestic market by broadcasting the fairly unique concept worldwide, allowing the drama to find fans in many unusual places. This has made the drama a noteworthy success of Studio Dragon's current internationally focused strategy in spite of the drama's weak showing in traditional metrics.

Written by William Schwartz

IMG_8793.JPG?type=w800

Archived