[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

On 7/18/2020 at 12:34 PM, stella77 said:

Hello @jerboa83 join in our love and discussion of this drama and give us some Italian fashion tips! 

With pleasure... Just ask!
There are a few blogs analyzing Ko Mun-Yeong's outfits:
https://www.buro247.my/fashion/buro-loves/style-id-seo-ye-ji-fashion-brands-iotnbo.html
Many of the shoes she wears are Italian.

I absolutely adore the Dior vintage silk dress she wore with the red patent leather pumps. I would probably have chosen another pattern for the obi-style belt, but that's just a matter of taste.

seo-ye-ji-5.jpg 

This black outfit below is one of my absolute favorites: its just PERFECT, from head to toe! The hairstyle, the earrings, the gorgeous dress, the "parigine" (thigh-high stockings) and the leather boots by Bottega Veneta are an amazing ensemble. I wish I knew the brand of that gorgeous suit dress! I couldn't find it, unfortunately... Any clue?
seo-ye-ji-3.jpg

The following outfit too features a perfect combination of dress (by Zimmermann) + hairstyle + shoes (I would have preferred a pair of wedge sandals, but those Burberry shoes are quite a good match).

106118680_310766946993608_55040886617329

There are at least three more outfits I absolutely adored so far, but I'll write another post about them.

• Like 13
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Teeners said:

Also, in episode 9, there was that exchange between Ok-Ran and the head nurse, where Ok-Ran angrily grabs the book out of the nurse's hands, and it gave the nurse a nasty gash. Ok-Ran then says something like, that's what happens when you touch something that doesn't belong to you.

Foreshadowing? If she really is MY's mom, I don't want there to have been some love triangle between MY's parents and GT & ST's mom.

No I don’t think so.  MY’s mom is dead. Her dad killed her. MY’s mom killed GT’s mom. I think it had to do with how GT appeared at the Castle and the mom wanted to keep MY all to herself.  MY’s dad thinks the mom is alive again because OkRan is pretending to be her ghost and wandering the halls primarily to torment the dad. 

Ok Ran is a fan of MY’s mom.  When she snatched the book away, I think it hints at her getting angry that MY’s dad “stole” the mom away from OkRan.  OkRan is tormenting the dad as a form of revenge for him “stealing” her favourite author away from her.  The other alternative is that she’s finally living up to being an actress (as suggested in her character brief).  She’s playing the part of MY’s mom by embodying all that she is/was to her.

Also the mentions of Serengeti and farting whilst eating was a nod to the Korean movie Marathon  (true story) in 2005.  It did what Rain Man did for the West.  Marathon catapulted autism into the mainstream. So much so that mothers with autistic children referred to the condition as “marathon” (it became synonymous with the condition). 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 4

Just now, jerboa83 said:

With pleasure... Just ask!
There are a few blogs analyzing Ko Mun-hyeong's outfits:
https://www.buro247.my/fashion/buro-loves/style-id-seo-ye-ji-fashion-brands-iotnbo.html
Many of the shoes she wears are Italian.

I absolutely adore the Dior vintage silk dress she wore with the red patent leather pumps. I would probably have chosen another pattern for the obi-style belt, but that's just a matter of taste.

This black outfit below is one of my absolute favorites: its just PERFECT, from head to toe! The hairstyle, the earrings, the gorgeous dress, the "parigine" (thigh-high stockings) and the leather boots by Bottega Veneta are an amazing ensemble. I wish I knew the brand of that gorgeous suit dress! I couldn't find it, unfortunately... Any clue?

The following outfit too features a perfect combination of dress (by Zimmermann) + hairstyle + shoes (I would have preferred a pair of wedge sandals, but those Burberry shoes are quite a good match).

There are at least three more outfits I absolutely adored so far, but I'll write another post about them.

Here they come.

The polka dot dress by Magda Burtym, paired with another pair of Gianvito Rossi shoes and an off white fascinator + white and gold belt, definitely makes a statement. Love it!
106540514_3013749935405243_9005828760244

I loved this asymmetrical dress + blazer combination (both by Peter Do). Gorgeous!
1594199198970898.jpg

A very interesting outfit is this Minjukim (the same brand of the pink dress seen in one of last week's eps) + Loewe belt combo: 

Eb7g9oiUcAAfWY6.jpg:large

Her style is quite "gothic" and vintage ('40s and 50s, mostly), with some sleek contemporary reinterpretations. It covers the entire palette (black, off white, pastel colors, pink, purple, red, natural shades...) and features a few bolder patterns (like the red/blue/purple flower pattern of the dress she wore at the publishing house).
Very short skirts, shoulders pads and conservative tops/shirts are typically South Korean. 

• Like 15

WOW, the ending of ep 10!! How am I supposed to wait a week for the next episode?! :bawling: So many parallels. KT giving MY the flowers, and she finally gets to tell him that they're beautiful. We get MY following KT just like how he used to follow her, and omg the scene at the beach when KT tells MY to get lost and she clenches her heart sobbing. Looking at the next ep trailer, I hope the trio solves their Kang Tae ordeal soon, I want the three of them to be together when facing the mystery behind their mother's death and MY's mother. I personally am confused whether Park Ok Ran is MY's mother or if she just knows her mother really well. Either way I believe her mother is still alive after the hospital director said she'd come back for her daughter and husband. 

Anyone else aboard the Joori-Sang In ship? I really disliked Joori's character at first and thought I would only hate her more as the show progressed but she's really warmed up to me now. 

• Like 4

I don't think ST is guilt-tripping and humiliating KT in front of everyone with his revelation. To me the reason is simple: KT lied, which triggers him. He doesn't like people lying to him. It doesn't make sense to him that KT likes him more when KT wanted him dead and even tried to leave him for dead. 

• Like 12

6 hours ago, shazbinjin said:

I see a lot of discussions where people are still suspicious about the head nurse, and I’m not sure whether I’m just biased because of her previous role (she was a nice, cool boss in her last role in Find Me In Your Memory lol), but I seem to be missing the whole suspicious aspect of her? Like in eps 10 where she seemed to be spying on ST after he mysteriously got the book, I just interpreted it as her sensing something’s off with Park Ok-ran and keeping an eye on her — and it did seem like Ok Ran’s the one to have slipped in the book for whatever reason. The part where the head nurse brought up the whole “stepmom” thing might be suspicious, but even if she’s somehow MY’s mom what would be her motive in doing it?

Thank you for saying this. I know I'm not alone. So far I like the extra "unconventional" way of how they (the director and selected (skilled and experienced) staff at OK Hospital) treat and monitor their patients. (Although they do not show it we do know from their conversation that they do have the usual counseling session etc)  

As for me, I don't have any problem with the head nurse at the moment. I see that she's a very experienced nurse and the right-hand person to the director. Although sometimes it looks like she disagrees with the Director on certain management issues but that's part of her job in being a Head Nurse. Her talk with ST in the previous episode tells me that she knows ST's background very well and use that to have an open, friendly and stress-free discussion. Even KT confirmed that his brother shared with her the info that has never been shared with others who are not closed to him.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Teeners said:

I love how you've described this! Each brother remembered the event differently from the other. Since we didn't see the whole interaction, who are we to say who was right? I think the show is trying to set up viewers to take GT's side, but your'e right, KT's memory isn't necessarily more reliable than ST's just because ST is on the autism spectrum.

@Teeners Exactly! Although it would seem that KT's memory was the more reliable one since MY was also there and saw it happen too. In today's episode, she essentially confirmed that KT didnt push ST into the lake, but that he was unlucky and fell in. 

7 hours ago, alexaze said:

Am I the only one that thinks the brothers' relationship is extremely unhealthy? KT merely lives, as MY would describe it, as a "hostage". ST is extremely possessive and KT's guilt forces him to be complicit. I thought we were gonna make progress but it seems that the relationship regressed.

@alexaze I think its unhealthy to a certain extent, but I think both brothers contribute to how unhealthy their relationship is if that makes sense. KT babies ST and doesnt let him do anything on his own and in return ST becomes extremely reliable on KT as well as possessive. Yea I think their relationship also regressed a bit largely due to KT falling back into old comfortable habits. 

2 hours ago, jeijei said:

To me the reason is simple: KT lied, which triggers him. He doesn't like people lying to him. It doesn't make sense to him that KT likes him more when KT wanted him dead and even tried to leave him for dead. 

@jeijei I also took it as ST feels like he can't differentiate when KT is lying to him or not. KT has been basically lying to ST his entire life in order to protect him. For example, when KT is smiling and telling ST that everything is ok even when it's not. The only difference between all those other times KT has lied and this time is that ST caught KT red handed.

Due to this, it leads ST to question what anyone says to him because he can't tell if they're telling the truth or lying as to protect him. To ST, a lie is still lie no matter if the other person's intentions for lying are good or bad.

ST thinks in terms of black and white instead of shades of grey. He sees lying as a completely negative quality which isnt compatible with adoration for someone which he sees as a positive quality. You either like someone and never lie to them or you dont like someone and lie to them all the time. There's no in between for ST. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Even KT confirmed that his brother shared with her the info that has never been shared with others who are not closed to him.

Could you please tell more... what information? Which episode was this?

She might be experienced but what was that bit about step mom being goof even when she was fake? And am ok with everything but she seems  to derive pleasure by putting KT on the spot ! She confuses me.

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

Also the mentions of Serengeti and farting whilst eating was a nod to the Korean movie Marathon  (true story) in 2005.  It did what Rain Man did for the West.  Marathon catapulted autism into the mainstream. So much so that mothers with autistic children referred to the condition as “marathon” (it became synonymous with the condition). 

Thanks for this interesting trivia :)

so many dramas keep giving small tributes to writers, films and directors... it is nice.

i had  a question for anyone who  wants to  or can answer this:

the fairy tale about the shepherd boy speaks to different people and can be fitted in different contexts shown in this episode. Could you tell how you see the connection?

• Like 7

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

But just because he is an Autist, that doesn't mean that he has no sexual desire or doesn't want a wife. She was by his side in the picture. Furthermore, it is not like he has no idea that his brother had no girlfriend. He is well aware what a girlfriend means. Sure, he wants to keep KT for himself, yet I sense there is more to it because of the hair. This is very intimate and is connected to seduction. And his words were: MY is very beautiful.

Definitely agree with that! Never said that just because ST is on the spectrum, doesn't mean he can't experience sexual desire or wanting a wife. However, i don't think thats what the show is trying to address. If they really wanted us to see MY as a romantic interest for ST (on the level beyond a crush e.g. gf/wife), i think they would have made things more obvious. In regards to the hair, you could be right. But from my work with people on the spectrum, one of the main things they find difficult to process is change. And having his idol change her hair that he obviously loved, was quite upsetting for him. To each their own but that's my interpretation of MY to ST! :)

• Like 17

this thread gives a good analysis (i think) for those who are suspicious of the Head Nurse. Got to go to the thread to see the subsequent analysis!

if Head Nurse really turns out to be MY's Mom then i must say wow she really good at putting up a facade?? I mean th Director (who was supposed to be good at reading ppl) didn't even see through her? Or maybe he did? B)

• Like 14
  • Insightful 4

Hi there! 

I've been lurking for a while, this is such a great community and like all of you I'm head over heels with this new kdrama. It's been a while I've been this excited about one! 

What I love about this drama is how wholesome and sophisticated it is. It's described like a fairy-tale but told in a realistic and grounded manner. The stories and the connections the characters have are really relatable to just about everyone, you don't need to have lived in a big castle to understand. The acting, visual, metaphors, design, and more are just so, so perfect. It sets the bar high for any future shows, and I'll be rewatching this show many times more once it's over (which i find in kdrama land is very big achievement), because there's so much depth to it that it's almost difficult to take in all at once. 

I also have some speculations... I am not sure if it's already been discussed but would love to hear others thoughts on it. 

Regarding the head nurse, I don't think she's KMY's mom, but rather she's ST's mom. She's been really affectionate to both KT and ST this entire time. Maybe's it's because of her profession and she does seem like a very capable head nurse, but she seems to put extra effort on KT and ST. And this could totally just be a bogus idea because i understand this is a big stretch. But imagine if ST wasn't KT's real brother. That could be a major blow to ST's mental well-being and why he's been trying to hold on to KT all this time. Perhaps ST found out about this just when his 'mom' died? 

Regarding the ending, I've been thinking it could be nice to end with MY publishing another children's book. And this one is about two little boys and a little girl who met and healed each other. Also more scenes with MY bonding with ST. I think there are a lot of things ST has wanted to do with a 'best friend' but never had the opportunity to, just like KT. And MY is the perfect 'best friend' to do those with because she knows and reciprocates sincere affections. 

Another thing I'd like to see in the future to satisfy my romcom heart, haha,, is in the last episode having KT following MY around demanding attention. A role reversal could be pretty cute. 

• Like 14
  • Insightful 1

Thanks everyone for the theories, clips, thoughts, ideas, etc. 

I took the test and I got Jae Su! Lol!

There is not much new I can add but I did catch the latest episode after being out for the day.

Just reactions to the latest episode:

- KT and MY on the beach, MY knows him but he is crawling back into his shell and regretting already the small happiness he had being away with MY. My heart broke . (Later when he drank and blamed his greed and wanting the impossible with JS. A dream seems impossible. ):cries:

-MY being upset. But later finding excuses to get his attention from - getting him a change of undergarments. Then later sending texts threatening to delete Dooly VHS tapes to pretending to have a high fever. 

- Useless gossiper colleague did deserve  to have his hand broken after KT heard from him , he thought they were getting married. How they never learn? Glad that the patient /Areums ex gave him trouble knowing that coworker was up to no good. That patient is cool and loyal! I hope he gets a speedy recovery.

-Patient Park is soooooo annoying, lying and rabble rouser . I feel 50 % she could be MY. Sure MY saw her dead in blood but she could have survived, as it’s her memories I mean was she left for days like that? Doesn’t blood dry out if too long in oxygen? It suspicious about all the surgeries that Park got. Could be a red herring but just a guess. Why Park cares to wish MY happy bday. She really wants to bug MY, dad and others? I didn’t care get note to ST in the book MY mom wrote.

-ST I always thought liked MY for being pretty. He thinks of her as a woman. From letting it known why his disappointment of KT giving his shirt to MY to wear, having seen her hair cut/ emphasized she was pretty with it long, dressing up before the book signing debacle etc. He was tickled pink having her as his BFF. Now like KT , he has one. ST wanting to show he is manly saying I am hyung and I take care of KT. MY didn’t agree but didn’t say anything. He kept saying after ok Mangtae was hers but NOT KT.

- Both ST and MY need to be reminded people are not items with no feelings. He needs to ease into learning complexity of adding a person in your life won’t disrupt your current situation . Glad that the head nurse can talk to ST and soothe him & MY later explaining loneliness of the boy who cried wolf due to loneliness. ST knew mom was good to him but not KT. (Def not all out of it)

- ST outburst I agree the theory he using selective memory but not being 100% truthful when he says everyone has to tell the truth. Glad MY called him out on it. Seriously ST you telling MY doesn’t know her own BD? You question your friendship. Lies are bad I agree but ever wonder why they said it? Probably too my to explain and tiring.

- Great MY said it’s not wrong to want freedom and a life as you have been a human shell. She knew KT being upset to still live thanks to her was not true. Loved JR telling him it’s ok to be selfish (he needed to hear it). Hehe her being drunk yelling to be on same banmal level with him like MY. Lol funny.

- CEO failed attempt to drive JR was hilarious, but loved he came to get her away from MY. Also being a good oppa with bday present & wanting to treat her out. Glad he told MY love and care to others it always the same even #1 and #2 choices just as. It fair, she is doing what ST does to KT. Love it!

Glad JR was sent by KT to give them chance to talk and interact due to KT. They needed that time.

JR mom I love her. Big hugs. Her feeding KT and saying love those you hate. She hates KT but worries about the Moon bros if they left. JR likes him but he doesn’t feel the same so that’s why she hates him. Glad she is there . Love her! 

Same for JR mom fast on the uptake to cook for MY wanting seaweed for her bday. Aww 

ST and KT resolving their issues but still need more clarity as still unbalanced relationship. I liked In preview MY says i wanted a hyung too!! They will find a medium of compromise. Just slowly and loved ST catching real happy look on KT face now.

Beautiful drama and now counting down til next weekend, oh my heart!

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 13

I'm curious about something. MY said that her mom killed someone and that he killed her. regardless of whether she is actually alive, do you think MY's mom killed KT's mom? 

I was just thinking that these three went through so much and to add that on top would be heartbreaking. If they do go that route, I hope they deal with it properly.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, leejoongi1trash said:

I'm curious about something. MY said that her mom killed someone and that he killed her. regardless of whether she is actually alive, do you think MY's mom killed KT's mom? 

I was just thinking that these three went through so much and to add that on top would be heartbreaking. If they do go that route, I hope they deal with it properly.

I do have the feeling that MY's mom killed KT's mom because MY's mom knows KT likes MY and she is too possessive with her daughter might be she went to talk to KT's mom and something goes wrong. But yeah i hope they deal with it properly or please they can extend :D

I have a theory in mind in the supposed "death" of MY's mom. Remember MY went to the basement where her mom is laying there. Do you think her dad "killed" her there and MY found out and she drags the body to the dock and push her on the water. (which is weird because its too heavy for a young MY to drag her mom's body) and maybe MY's mom got saved by someone and now living as Park Ok Ran?

Either way Park Ok Ran and MY's mother seems to be connected. 

Another few days to wait :D

• Like 4

IOTNBO is being appreciated even by International Newspapers
This time by The National Newspaper of India@the_hindu

‘It’s Okay to Not Be Okay’ review: K-drama revels in its nuanced writing and strong performances

Among the top trending shows on Netflix, the ongoing romance-drama would benefit from more discussions surrounding mental health in the upcoming episodes

The intriguingly titled It’s Okay to Not Be Okay has featured among the top trending shows on Netflix for the last few weeks now. The K-drama, which has new episodes releasing every weekend, has completed eight episodes and so far, has lived up brilliantly to its interesting premise.

In the first few episodes, we are introduced to Ko Moon-Young (a fierce, impeccably-styled Seo Ye-ji) who is a children’s book author, but her personality and stories are anything but warm and fuzzy. Her publisher and people around her speak in hushed tones about her Antisocial Personality Disorder (APSD). On the other side, we have brothers Moon Gang-Tae (Kim Soo-Hyun) who works as a caregiver at a psychiatric ward, and Moon Sang-Tae (Oh Jung-Se), the older brother with Autism Spectrum disorder, who is also a budding artist.

Orphaned when they were young, the brothers are shown to have moved around quite a bit, and Gang-Tae takes up jobs as a caregiver in a psychiatric ward at every place they temporarily set up camp in. Gang-Tae and Sang-Tae are thick as thieves; there’s genuine warmth in their relationship despite a troubled past. As the episodes progress, it is rather refreshing to see Sang-Tae’s innocence, enthusiasm and frank declarations and how they give Gang-Tae strength.

A large part of the show is set in the OK psychiatric facility where Gang-Tae begins to work. Subverting cliches, the mental health facility is one filled with bright sunshine, stunning views and soothing colours. The caregivers and nurses have uniforms in pastel pinks and greens and the show has so far, largely succeeded in ensuring that the inmates are not made caricatures of.

The initial buzz around the show came largely from its premise and the fact that it would shed light on mental health. While the show has tackled a few diverse themes so far, it can greatly benefit from more nuanced discussions surrounding mental health in the upcoming episodes.

If the psychiatric facility is one of warmth and light, Moon-Young’s ‘haunted castle’ residence is diametrically the opposite. The production design for this show deserves a special shoutout for the lovely aesthetics. Every episode so far is titled after a book authored by Moon-Young or a folk tale and deals with its themes. These stories have been included into the episodes through a mix of interesting formats: a Tim Burton-esque animated short, illustrations from a children’s book and even a silent-movie.

Moon-Young is a character that’s not just well written, but excellently played by Seo Ye-ji. This is a character that could have easily stopped at being an over-the-top caricature if not for the right actor. She’s confident, has no qualms in being rude, unapologetic about being a ‘monster’ and plays by her own rules. But at the same time, she’s vulnerable, haunted by her past and it is heartwarming to see her trying to forge a bond with the brothers.

The show’s focus is largely on the journey towards personal healing for Moon Gang-Tae and Ko Moon-Young. What makes the writing refreshing here is the fact that they aren’t relying on the other person to lead them. The character development, and the slow but steady evolution of the protagonists comes from their self-realisation and reflection. Kim Soo-Hyun too largely succeeds as the quiet, calm and amicable Gang-Tae. The last episode was monumental for his character and it will be interesting to see how the writers take this forward.

WIth eight episodes done and eight more to go, the show now promises a lot more attention on the slowly developing romance between Moon-Young and Gang-Tae as well as where their journey of healing takes them. There’s still a lot more to know about Moon-Young and Gang-Tae’s families and the secrets of their past.

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/movies/its-okay-to-not-be-okay-review-k-drama-revels-in-its-nuanced-writing-and-strong-performances/article32124165.ece

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I really liked what Sang-in told MY about not having to put one person over another. Of course that ties back to KT and MY (everything does lbr) I think that is important re: their relationship and ST. I saw comments where ppl worried about KT choosing ST over MY but that's clearly not the case. And let's say their relationship gets more serious if they get married or something well who's more important your brother or your wife but it's not so black and white. They are both important in different ways. I thought that was nice. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

the rating is decreased last night, 1st part 4.2% 2nd part 5.4% i think people don't like to watch the sad parts..

especially the 1st part of the drama, i feel bored too when i live streamed it, since the story is not going anywhere just showing how stubborn ST and KT push away MY, viewers might want to skip this. but 2nd part lift up the game.

btw so many assumption for MY moms, i keep all the possibilities, and just hoping everything related to MY mom, wont affect KT & MY relationship. i cannot bear to see another separation T.T

and i think we still need to see how the writer gonna do with MY ASPD? from the recent episodes her, her ASPD trait is gone, she's not as cruel as the start of the series, now she put a very little thought when doing something, has a sense of responsibility (the mother who lose her daughter case).. and i read that ASPD cannot be cured and difficult to be treated, but in her case, i dont think it's really an ASPD

then the mystery of the father who died on ep1...well i dont think MY killed him, since hospital got cctv and if she does, i dont think SI got the money enough to cover it, (just look at the critique case, he sold his company just to cover the expense), but im still curious why the knife is there as evidence...

and her cleptomania, i wonder what will they do with it?

• Like 6
  • Sad 1