[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

43 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

I think when the homeless character gets cleaned up he will look very nice. I can kind of tell he’s a nice looking man. I’m definitely interested in him and our lady CEO.

I kinda like him being scruffy.  :lol:  But, yes, the actor is a very nice-looking man otherwise, and I remember him from other dramas.  

Park Ho San

gL5eN7UvYlseBD0rjdjgjiVKuQJ.jpg

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, thistle said:

Looks like he lost his family somewhere along the line.  And that makes me wonder who and how.  Of all the characters in the show, my favorite really is the homeless guy. 

For some reason MyDramaList has his character name as Keanu.  :huh: :lol:

It was driving me crazy!  I found her so annoying until she was kind to the homeless guy and then I just had to figure out where I'd seen her before.  Brilliant actress.  There's no way I'd have connected her with Thirty But Seventeen until I checked cast listings.  She is just that good.

She is an amazing actress she was great as the suffering wife until she exploded on her cheating husband in "My wife is having an affair this week', great also in 'Love Affairs in the Afternoon'. I called her the human pretzel (she is so agile her body) in  "Should We Kiss First' and she was also in "Another Miss Oh". People don't realise it because she plays such different characters in every role she has. She is really an amazing dancer too.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I am dying from the penguin scene when all the ladies went like, "Omg he is so handsome" hahahahaha. So slapstick funny.

The scene where Jae Hyuk and his cousin talked about being gay seems a bit suspicious and piqued my interest. Suddenly wonders is JH could have left abroad and also had some psychological issues due to sexual orientation. Just a hunch, hmmm. Otherwise I can't understand why he cannot be open about his reason for leaving. Is it still a taboo in Korea to have psychological issues? Do people still fear talking about it even to those who are close to them?

Is that a sparkle I see in homeless guy's eyes when he met Nam A Young again at the samgyeopsal place? Hahahahaha is that love I smell?

Edited by fluffyloaf
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Linwe said:

KHK is the one who set all the rules like 'no dating' and 'no skinship' BOY IS HE GOING TO REGRET THAT!!!! Hahaha :D

At the end of today's episode, Dohee asked them not to have dinner together.
After the fall on Hae Kyung, Dohee knew that she had begun to like him, so she needed to finish seeing him because they agreed not to date.

In next week's preview, KHK will find her in her place, and take her in front of JaeHyuk.  Although I vote for KHK, I still feel bad for JaeHyuk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone!

Such a quiet forum for this great drama. Makes me sad, but I wanted to come in and say hi!

Thanks for the posts, comments, photos and links! I was able to catch up pretty quickly.

I am at work ---Boston (USA) Eastern Standard Time and late lunch for me.

I cannot wait to zoom home to watch this drama tonight. 

@Oly40 Thank you for posting, MBC Drama has no posts up. I read the recaps at DramaMilk---so appreciative of them. 

https://www.dramamilk.com/dinner-mate-episode-10-11-live-recap-part-1/

https://www.dramamilk.com/dinner-mate-episode-10-11-live-recap-part-2/

@hyall  The actress Ye Ji Won as Ahyeong --Do Hee's boss is amazing!  I agree she has played a wide variety of characters with finesse! Her dancing is amazing and her quick cameo on Hospital Playlist as Dr. Ahn's older sister as a nun---so priceless. I know I am in for a treat when I see her on the stage! Never a boring moment!

@celebrianna Awww actor Park Ho Sun as the homeless man Keanu is intriguing. He is also a great actor and I loved him in a variety of roles and one them was in Prison Playbook as KAIST. Yes he handsome and manly.

Song Seung Hun is my mom's fave actor and Autumn Love was my first drama. I started watching dramas in 2004. Alot has changed and we have legal streaming sites. We did not have streaming sites, Youtube etc. I worried about virus and translations were not great. I enjoyed fan subs. I was desperate to watch dramas with English subbed from Chinese subs. I slowly gathered listening Korean knowledge after all these years (get basic jist) and it has been a hell of a ride since then.

I am enjoying Seo Ji Hye as Do Hee. She is such a beauty and in this role she is still a beauty but not as dolled up. Loved her in CLOY and in the Jealous Incarnate and Black Knight.

Enjoying the chemi of our OTP  and not loving the exes. I agree JK is not as bad as Apink's Son Naeun. Her character is nothing new but I cannot muster a bit of sympathy for her at all.Also I agree with others about the social recluse Jin Kyu for the running gags of his BO. Not funny and on other hand is he really have no sense? Boggles my mind.

More a fluffy drama I need in my life juggling the other dramas I am watching live at the moment. Missing Hospital Playlist a ton at the moment.

Well going back to work and lurk mode but wanted to say HI!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Nodame said:

Hello everyone!

Such a quiet forum for this great drama. Makes me sad, but I wanted to come in and say hi!

Thanks for the posts, comments, photos and links! I was able to catch up pretty quickly.

More a fluffy drama I need in my life juggling the other dramas I am watching live at the moment. Missing Hospital Playlist a ton at the moment.

Well going back to work and lurk mode but wanted to say HI!

YES! Why isn't there more love for this show? The funk and R&B vibes on the soundtrack alone is killer! Such a departure from the usual ballads. I've had the same four songs on repeat, especially OVAN and Shaun. I can't wait for them to release the entire OST.

I was seriously depressed after CLOY but Hospital Playlist gave me life. Now even that's over, I've only got Dinner Mate to look forward to each week. There's just something about Dinner Mate that's so refreshing and makes you feel relaxed, a little sad but mostly happy.

Also, my favourite scene from this week was when he waited in her neighbourhood to return her ring and she drunkenly tells him they can't know anything personal about each other because she still has pockets full of secrets to share with him. Hahaha! The look on his face. He's so hopelessly charmed by her silliness. On a serious note does anyone think the show might be hinting at a possible drinking problem?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nodame said:

Hello everyone!

I am at work ---Boston (USA) Eastern Standard Time and late lunch for me.

I cannot wait to zoom home to watch this drama tonight. 

.....Well going back to work and lurk mode but wanted to say HI!

Hi from Mississippi Gulf Coast.  Recovering from about 10 inches of rain due to Tropical Storm Cristobal.  3 solid days of rain, rain, and nothing but rain.

Wanna know why this is such a quiet forum for this drama?  I think I can guess the answer.  It's....

Spoiler

people who lurk instead of posting.  ;) :D :lol:

Hope you'll come share more insights with us!

2 hours ago, Nodame said:

Enjoying the chemi of our OTP  and not loving the exes. I agree JK is not as bad as Apink's Son Naeun. Her character is nothing new but I cannot muster a bit of sympathy for her at all.Also I agree with others about the social recluse Jin Kyu for the running gags of his BO. Not funny and on other hand is he really have no sense? Boggles my mind.

Same.  The exes are so annoying.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, the social recluse guy is probably similar to the one I knew back in college, and that was a clear case of parental neglect and abuse.  I hope that the drama doesn't make light of his problem.

exNE is very much a narcissist.  That's partly why it bothered me when HK was accusing DH in his voice-over of being a narcissist--he was describing his ex rather than the woman in front of him.

exJK is a character I have not been able to muster sympathy for.  Can't guess what he is taking the medication for but I think that @Kvothe is on the right track:

1 hour ago, Kvothe said:

So, did Keanu hit JK with his car or did JK kill Keanu's child/family with his car?

I'm thinking that JK was maybe driving drunk or distracted and that he killed Keanu's family.

17 minutes ago, ednamode101 said:

Why isn't there more love for this show?

I don't know why Dinner Mate is flying under the radar because it is a great show.  But it's not the only show right now that isn't getting enough love (Mystic Pop Up Bar was deliberately trashed through false reporting) but I have wondered if some people might have confused it because there are several Psychiatrist dramas right now as well as several food-related dramas.  Even though the storylines are different, it all sounds like a bit of a mish-mash when all of them are taken into account.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Phoenix Klaw said:

Yes, I rolled my eyes at this development. So over-used and cliched. Even if one is dying, one needs to tell loved-ones.

Though I confess I was kinda glad he has this backstory. Because I have thought that he is not as a bad as the other female ex, but I thought it was because I liked this actor in his earlier drama "Rookie Historian". His image is not someone who is a villain.

Let's see how they handle it. The drama has been able to handle cliches (like contest to win the penguin) without it being stale.

Still not sympathetic towards the female ex, though.

Agree with this. The female ex is so bratty and one-dimensional. She doesn't really give us a reason to like her or at least feel sorry for her even if she pouts and cries just because her ex doesn't want anything to do with her. The male ex is more sympathetic and you can somewhat feel his sincerity and remorse for hurting Do Hee. He must've been quite something if Do Hee is still hurting from that relationship even after her last boyfriend cheated on her. I have a feeling that's what's going to deter him if he feels like she's not over her ex.

Also, I could just watch the endless banter between Do Hee and Jae Hyuk. I burst out laughing when he started laying down the no borrowing money, no dating and no touching rules and she gets irritated and asks, "Do you want to draw up a contract?" Hahaha!

• Like 4

Have watched Ep 5 so far. Our dinner mates are so in denial with drawing the line of no romance, but I like that they're starting out as friends and it's quite funny seeing the two adults awkwardly interact with each other as if they have just met their "first loves". LOL. It's super cute. Cracked up at the penguin scene. Hae Kyung really wanted to win it for her, eh? And, Do Hee drinking and venting with Penguin was hilarious.

I remember Do Hee's boss/Ye Ji Won as Jennifer from 30 But 17 as well. She made such a big impact to that story. I know "Keanu"/Park Ho San as KAIST from Prison Playbook. Thought he was pure comedic relief there, but he had a personal backstory too. Hope their characters will be built out here as well. Frankly, I'm more interested in getting to know these two than the exes. :P

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Have watched Ep 5 so far. Our dinner mates are so in denial with drawing the line of no romance, but I like that they're starting out as friends and it's quite funny seeing the two adults awkwardly interact with each other as if they have just met their "first loves". LOL. It's super cute. Cracked up at the penguin scene. Hae Kyung really wanted to win it for her, eh? And, Do Hee drinking and venting with Penguin was hilarious.

I think you’ll enjoy their camping trip in episode 6. I was smiling like an idiot before I realized it. I don’t think they’ll be able to help violating their rules further. :wub: It’s certainly interesting that they enjoy spending time with each other even while the former lovers are butting into their lives.

@thistle, I saw more of Keanu’s face today. I‘m quite curious about his background.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

who else is feeling a melodrama vibe from the ex boyfriend?

First  i thought he has some terminal illness because of the medicine bottles, his interest in doing a program on medical issues and the rush to get back with HD.

now i think he fled Korea because he was responsible for the death of that homeless man's family, and may have some illness related to the accident.

I'm loving this drama, and it's so light and fun.

I watched CLOY but Seo Ji Hey’s performance didn’t catch my attention, I thought she was ok, her character was kind of boring.

But  I'm loving her in Dinner Mate, for me playing a funny female lead is one of the most challenging roles for actresses. Most of the time I think that actresses exaggerate and make the character inconvenient,  annoying and rude and instead of fun. 

For me SJH is doing great! I love her scenes with Song Seung Heon. They look beautiful together and the chemistry is great! 

My only concern is that HD is going to need a new kidney by the end of the drama, she gets drunk every episode! Girl please step away from alcohol! :joy:

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I think you’ll enjoy their camping trip in episode 6. I was smiling like an idiot before I realized it. I don’t think they’ll be able to help violating their rules further. :wub: It’s certainly interesting that they enjoy spending time with each other even while the former lovers are butting into their lives.

@thistle, I saw more of Keanu’s face today. I‘m quite curious about his background.

Oh gosh, this episode gave me major feels. I don't want to give away too many spoilers yet but that camping scene was delightful. That scene when she was walking to the sushi restaurant was hilarious.

@Adritz_ You're right, when it comes to comedy, I think some actors tend to go a bit overboard but Seo Ji-Hye has amazing range that we only got a glimpse of in CLOY. Do-Hee is sassy and intelligent but she's also sensitive and a bit of a goofball without being annoying or over the top. Her facial expressions always crack me up. Then there's the way Hae-Kyung and Do-Hee look at each other with their wistful "I'm not in love" eyes and when paired with that soundtrack... sigh.

And, of course, they leave us at that point where you're looking at the remaining play time and going, "No, no, you can't leave us hanging like this!" Sadly, Dinner Mate is the only bright spot in my TV schedule these days. Looking forward to a big confrontation in the next episode.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Wah, what's with Do Hee's "naughty" thoughts? The subconscious mind is surely telling. :P On a serious note, I am liking that the leads view and enjoy food the same way. Even Hae Kyung is picking up Do Hee's photo-taking habit. I think being able to comfortably have a meal with someone requires a unique bond/connection and there is a level of intimacy involved in sharing each others' worries/stresses. Let's keep the development flowing.

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@celebrianna Their camping scene was so swoon-y. :wub: More please! It was also funny when they spotted couples everywhere. Should be a sign for them, right? ;) I 100% agree about the rules and the exes. And once again, I was proud that Hae Kyung did not fall for No Eul's sob story.

Keanu and Do Hee's boss...they are definitely the perfect casting. Looking forward to see more of them. I feel like they will understand each other's backstories as well. It definitely seems like Jae Hyeok had negatively impacted Keanu's life somehow.

• Like 5
  • Love 2