[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

2 hours ago, loopo said:

Although if I have a concern it would be the stalkerish approach of the second leads, its pretty disturbing to be honest especially with Jae-hyeok's character. Also this is me being nitpicky and totally choosy but No-Eul character is a bit dead to be honest the same with Jae-hyeok but she seems to be more flat and almost seems like a second female lead from a kdrama 10 years ago. I guess I have to wait for their backstories (IF THEY HAVE ONE, PLEASE LET THEM HAVE ONE) to get my peace of mind cause honestly right now I'm confused whenever they're onscreen.

Agreed! I like that this drama is a light romcom with a convincing OTP and heart-fluttering moments but this week’s episode with the pushy exes and mom is starting to irritate me a lot. Especially No Eul! I’m not sure whether it’s the character or the acting, it’s so bizarre how she’s trying to get her ex back but the way she’s behaving you could literally think she’s trying to get a divorce or something! She doesn’t even look like she likes him, is it supposed to be an ego thing? No Eul’s character (or portrayal, not sure which) is so unconvincing and unrealistic, IMO.... hoping for a plot development that moves past the nagging exes and the OTP still not knowing each other’s identity soon...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The premise of this drama is nothing new. Two people hurt by breakups meet and heal each others' wounds, while exes try and win them back and perhaps even work together. 

But the two leads are doing a marvellous job and the kooky touches make it very good entertainment. (Esp if you compare with the other food drama that just opened, Sweet Munchies, that is trying to deal with society problems and becoming a depressing watch.) Agree that the two exes are not likeable. Their reasons for wanting to get back together seem selfish - it is for themselves. Jae-Hyuk at least is redeemable, because he seems genuinely sorry for what he did, though still self-centred ("I don't want to lose her again" - Notice the emphasis on "I").  No-eul seems especially horrible in her sense of entitlement. Her folded arms when she talks to him, as if he is hers to command to come and go. I hope the drama shows them growing as well.

The minor characters are interesting too. Do-Hee's female boss is an enigma at this point. Does she genuinely want Jae-Hyuk and Do-Hee to come back together? Or does she only care about the show? I feel sorry for the fat colleague with body odour problems. Looking forward to Hae-Kyung helping him out.

"You meet the person in a place where you thought you would never meet anyone. And you end up meeting the person anyway even when it's impossible. And it makes you think it's a miracle. That's what it is."

"That's destiny."

:heart:

403fff6828ea6097e8945d276cc65d0b3e9abb90

65b6edd3a9c5f95108b2bb9a10c16519300b745a

cfbde25694e8adb89267752f251c2648d63112e3

8598a607c2fda2e461721fa805bcfaf4a306b05e

Creds. Tumblr

THIS ENTIRE SCENE. Coupled with the OST was *chef's kiss* :wub:

Finished Ep 4. I'm glad the story isn't revolving around the leads trying to get over their first loves, but the underlying trauma...which I still think isn't really stemming from the exes. It was predictable that they wouldn't end up meeting their exes at the end, but stumble upon each other again instead. Still, I have to admit it was nicely done.

IoS6NyC.png

I really like Do Hee more and more each episode. She cracks me up. Plus, I was proud of her that while her ex tried to insinuate that nothing has really changed at all, she told him that she has changed. I like Hae Kyung too and his natural sense in healing people. Big kudos to him for recognizing that his pride is more important than his ex.

5 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

I really like Do Hee more and more each episode. She cracks me up. Plus, I was proud of her that while her ex tried to insinuate that nothing has really changed at all, she told him that she has changed. I like Hae Kyung too and his natural sense in healing people. Big kudos to him for recognizing that his pride is more important than his ex.

Yes, I am really glad that both of them have self-esteem enough to REFUSE to get back together with their first loves. Having met each other seemed to have helped. So it seemed rather inconsistent that they would both go to the dinner .. but I guess because it is a show, they need the dramatic effect.

9 hours ago, Phoenix Klaw said:

The premise of this drama is nothing new. Two people hurt by breakups meet and heal each others' wounds, while exes try and win them back and perhaps even work together. 

But the two leads are doing a marvellous job and the kooky touches make it very good entertainment. (Esp if you compare with the other food drama that just opened, Sweet Munchies, that is trying to deal with society problems and becoming a depressing watch.) Agree that the two exes are not likeable. Their reasons for wanting to get back together seem selfish - it is for themselves. Jae-Hyuk at least is redeemable, because he seems genuinely sorry for what he did, though still self-centred ("I don't want to lose her again" - Notice the emphasis on "I").  No-eul seems especially horrible in her sense of entitlement. Her folded arms when she talks to him, as if he is hers to command to come and go. I hope the drama shows them growing as well.

The minor characters are interesting too. Do-Hee's female boss is an enigma at this point. Does she genuinely want Jae-Hyuk and Do-Hee to come back together? Or does she only care about the show? I feel sorry for the fat colleague with body odour problems. Looking forward to Hae-Kyung helping him out.

Interesting. Of the two exes I find JH the worst. I suppose both are sorry in a self centered way. She is probably more used to getting her own way but at least she had a reasonable grievance in that she believed he didn't care enough for her, and I can sympathise with that. He just "went abroad". And he seems even more intrusive too. 

B-Class (Comedy) never dieeeeee!!! (i don't know how to add gifs here yet haha)

Second leads were quite annoying / pushy. It's like they never felt sorry at all --

Spoiler

--except for the part where No-Eul cried. I kind of 'yes you're finally showing your emotions!'

Nevertheless I'm now very sure that the leads were lovely to watch, I like their chemistry!   

OMG its too far for the next 2/4 episodes. LOL

Ending of this weeks was sooo much warm fuzzy feelings.

Its super lovable but its gonna kill me when they find out each others name and go crazy about it. hahaha

Latest episodes ending was great - I was worried both were actually going to sit down with their exes, and then just see each other from across the room

Is it just me, or is the homeless guys scenes just getting better and better? :lol:

Glad I watched this one late, that way I dont have as long a wait!

20 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Is it just me, or is the homeless guys scenes just getting better and better? :lol:

OMG HAHAHAHHA, his laugh every time, so funny and slightly disturbing all in one. :lol:

PSA: There's a eng-sub preview on youtube now! I check for it everyday haha

They better not drag the whole never knowing each other's name and thus the identities of the mystery emails too long! It would get a bit too long in the tooth to meet someone THAT many times and not ask their name!

I was saying to a friend this is the type of old-school rom-com drama cheese we need right now!

17 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Latest episodes ending was great - I was worried both were actually going to sit down with their exes, and then just see each other from across the room

Glad I watched this one late, that way I dont have as long a wait!

It helps that Park Ho-San is an amazing actor and comic chops are terrific. His character name is "Keanu" so I wonder if we're going to get some more meta-awesomeness.

Hello all!  I haven't visited Soompi in ages.  :)

Anyway, I'm one of those viewers who went into "Dinner Mate" because of Seo Ji Hye.  I first watched her in "Crash Landing On You" and found that I loved her character, Seo Dan.  When I heard about this new drama where she was going to be the female lead, I didn't hesitate to watch it.  And her partner, Song Seung Heun, is an actor I'm quite familiar with and like as well, though it's been a long time since I last watched him in anything.  

I'm so glad I did.  Seo Ji Hye didn't disappoint me.  Her Woo Do-Hee is quirky without being over-the-top and Song Seung Heun's Kim Hae-kyung, with his strait-laced and pragmatic personality, is a perfect foil to her.  And their chemistry is palpable and wonderful to behold.  It's already there at the onset and you see it growing as the story moves along.  I'm looking forward to their interactions in future episodes. 

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the mysterious hobo at the convenience store is played by Park Ho San, who was wonderful in the 2018 drama "My Ahjussi".  Given that this character is played by an actor of note, I think this hobo will play a very important role in the story of Woo Do-Hee and Kim Hae-kyung in the future.  

I just hope more people watch this drama.  I think Seo Ji Hye is a breath of fresh air compared to the usual female leads because she seems more like a character actress than a celebrity, which is very good. :)   

Will You Have Dinner With Me: Episodes 5-6

by LollyPip

Dinner0506-00042.jpg

At what point do repeated coincidences add up to a sign of something more? That’s the question our mismatched diners are faced with as they find themselves running into each other over and over, despite having agreed that their connection was just temporary. They’re also being confronted with their past traumas at exactly the same time, which makes them wonder — is there more to their meetings than simple happenstance?

EPISODE 5

Dinner0506-00013.jpg

Both Do-hee and Hae-kyung show up at the fish market when trot singer Tae Jin-ah’s song tops the charts, due to a hacker with a grudge against Kpop idols. They’re happy to see each other, but when Hae-kyung admits that he didn’t actually think this would happen, it annoys Do-hee so much that she refuses to treat him to the sea urchin he’s craving. Instead, she takes him to a cheap rice bowl food cart, HA.

At 2N Box, Ah-young is still reeling at how good-looking the mysterious Dr. Kim Hae-kyung turned out to be. She tells Jung-hwan to find out if Do-hee is meeting with Hae-kyung like she’s supposed to be, then drags So-ra into her office. She’s worried by Do-hee’s traumatic breakup (“What if she loses it like when Jae-hyuk left her?”) and orders So-ra to let her know if there’s anything going on.

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/06/will-you-have-dinner-with-me-episodes-5-6/

Song Seung Heon Shares Awkward First Embrace With Seo Ji Hye In “Dinner Mate”

Jun 7, 2020
by S. P
e6ee3df1219d4e75b78b9dca31fba640.jpeg?s=

MBC’s Monday-Tuesday drama “Dinner Mate” has shared new stills from the upcoming episode!

“Dinner Mate” tells the story of a man and a woman who have grown jaded about romance after experiencing painful heartbreaks. Through their dinner dates, they eventually recover their ability to feel emotion and begin to find love over food. Song Seung Heon stars as Kim Hae Kyung, a psychiatrist and food psychologist, and Seo Ji Hye plays the energetic producing director (PD) Woo Do Hee.

Spoilers

In previous episodes, Kim Hae Kyung and Woo Do Hee began to think of each other despite their intentions to sever their ambiguous relationship. They each went searching for the other, and the pair fatefully reunited.

The new stills show Kim Hae Kyung and Woo Do Hee embracing for the first time. Kim Hae Kyung looks uncertain as he holds Woo Do Hee, who looks up at him with an unreadable expression. In the final still, Woo Do Hee acts cute and playful while surrounded by drinks.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1405231wpp/song-seung-heon-shares-awkward-first-embrace-with-seo-ji-hye-in-dinner-mate

On 6/3/2020 at 10:00 AM, shazbinjin said:

.....but this week’s episode with the pushy exes and mom is starting to irritate me a lot. Especially No Eul!.....

She almost caused me to dump the show.  I stopped watching when she annoyingly appeared.  It has taken me the remainder of the week to convince myself to give Dinner Mates another try.  Every time I see the exes on the screen I want to slap them into the middle of next week (but especially NoEul).

I'm not giving up on Dinner Mates yet but they need to tone it down with the exes.  And I don't like DH's boss either.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:41 AM, LeftCoastOppa said:

.....Is it just me, or is the homeless guys scenes just getting better and better? :lol: .....

Not just you!  He is my very favorite character on this drama.  I want him to have his own show.  :D

On 6/5/2020 at 5:01 AM, Linwe said:

PSA: There's a eng-sub preview on youtube now! I check for it everyday haha.....

Link please?  ^_^

On 6/3/2020 at 10:28 PM, Phoenix Klaw said:

.....I feel sorry for the fat colleague with body odour problems. Looking forward to Hae-Kyung helping him out.

This is one part of this drama that I find deeply troubling.  I really hope that he does get help and not derision because I feel sorry for the character, too. 

Actually I knew someone like that in college.  The poor guy had been neglected and abused as a kid so he literally did not know how to care for himself in any way at all.  He could not understand why people avoided him.  He was so filthy that he shed skin in big flakes, and he smelled so bad that a bunch of students had a meeting and elected one person (me, darn it) to try to get him help from the administration.  I tried to make them understand that he shouldn't be shamed but I don't think they listened carefully enough.  It was humiliating for the guy because everyone knew that he had to be forced to bathe, and the dorm had to burn all of his belongings and the furniture because of the filth.  I was always sorry that something more could not have been done for him because he was so very pathetic and it was not his fault. 

Thus, I truly hope that this colleague does not become a source of humor because it really is Not funny. 

Will You Have Dinner With Me: Episodes 7-8

by selena

DIN0708-00095.jpg

It’s funny how you’re never able to find something when you go looking for it, but it shows up where you least expect it. That’s the case with our unconventional dinner mates, and each encounter makes it increasingly difficult to ignore a growing genuine connection. More than just a food buddy, our leads bring valuable insight into each other’s lives.

EPISODE 7 RECAP

DIN0708-00004.jpgDIN0708-00005.jpg

An out-of-breath Hae-kyung catches up to Do-hee and we’re reminded of her declaration that meeting him again will no longer be a miracle, but destiny – so she agrees to join him for dinner.

Glancing around the restaurant, Do-hee wonders what people think their relationship is. Hae-kyung guesses it’d be two people sharing a meal – an accurate observation, since it’s already their third time eating together.

Because Do-hee took the lead the first two times, Hae-kyung decides that they’ll cater to his tastes for this meal. Do-hee indignantly points out that she technically made the decision to eat here. Heh.

more

http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/06/will-you-have-dinner-with-me-episodes-7-8/

Archived