[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

So, episode 5:  The exes are still annoying (and I refuse to be sympathetic with DH's ex JH just because he seems to be ill; he still lied to her) but I absolutely loved DH's boss with the mysterious homeless guy.  

And I was also really happy when I realized that the actress who is playing DH's boss AY also played Jennifer on Thirty But Seventeen.  B)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, thistle said:

So, episode 5:  The exes are still annoying (and I refuse to be sympathetic with DH's ex JH just because he seems to be ill; he still lied to her) but I absolutely loved DH's boss with the mysterious homeless guy.  

And I was also really happy when I realized that the actress who is playing DH's boss AY also played Jennifer on Thirty But Seventeen.  B)

I love that actress her characters are always interesting. Also the actor whose playing the homeless guy.

I fee! the same no sympathy for either ex at the moment all I see is two selfish people.

There's one thing I keep thinking about from episode 5 because I found it uncomfortable:  While HK was having dinner with DH, there was a voice-over from him that seemed to indicate that he was diagnosing her psychiatricly as though she were a patient of his.  Also when he was planning dinner, he said that he had someone new to interview. 

If he views her as a patient rather than a friend (or potential love interest), then their relationship is starting off all wrong and it is unethical.  There is already another current drama (Fix You) that is going there (doctor and patient in a personal relationship) and I found that to be too icky for words; could Not watch it.  I REALLY don't want this drama to go down that road. 

I never suspected that Jae Hyuk’s excuse would be an illness. Somehow I had reserved that plotline for Hae Kyung’s mom and why she abandoned him. I suppose if Hae Kyung’s ex has another story behind her reason to breakup with him, then it will be that her mom financially trapped her in a terrible situation and she didn’t want to get him involved. *roll eyes* All these sob stories when honesty would have been best. In any case, I’m quite enjoying Do Hee and Hae Kyung’s budding “-ship” and I hope they continue to draw a line with their former lovers.

Whatever reason they give us for Jae Hyuk's sudden disappearance better be good. I can't, for the life of me, think of a good enough excuse to do that to someone. I wonder if it's going to be a case of Do Hee choosing between an old flame and a new love.

Jae Hyuk's reason for leaving has become kdrama tropey unlike in the webtoon. Is that medication related to the reason or is it for anxiety/panic attacks? Did he have some kind of illness like in "A Witch's Romance" and so many other dramas, or he went to prison like in "Another Miss Oh." Whatever the reason, noble idiocy is never a valid reason and I hope the writer has something more creative in mind.

3 hours ago, thistle said:

There's one thing I keep thinking about from episode 5 because I found it uncomfortable:  While HK was having dinner with DH, there was a voice-over from him that seemed to indicate that he was diagnosing her psychiatricly as though she were a patient of his.  Also when he was planning dinner, he said that he had someone new to interview. 

If he views her as a patient rather than a friend (or potential love interest), then their relationship is starting off all wrong and it is unethical.  There is already another current drama (Fix You) that is going there (doctor and patient in a personal relationship) and I found that to be too icky for words; could Not watch it.  I REALLY don't want this drama to go down that road. 

I see why you would be uncomfortable, but I don't think this means he views her as a patient. We are all trained in different professions, so we fall back on this when we view our surroundings, because that is the "analytical vocabulary" that we have.  Eg, my brother in law is a doctor so sometimes over dinner, when he talk about our day, he uses his medical language to diagnose what is going on. I have friends who are academics, and they do the same when we discuss current affairs. Its the lens through which they see the world.

1 hour ago, Kvothe said:

Jae Hyuk's reason for leaving has become kdrama tropey unlike in the webtoon. Is that medication related to the reason or is it for anxiety/panic attacks? Did he have some kind of illness like in "A Witch's Romance" and so many other dramas, or he went to prison like in "Another Miss Oh." Whatever the reason, noble idiocy is never a valid reason and I hope the writer has something more creative in mind.

Yes, I rolled my eyes at this development. So over-used and cliched. Even if one is dying, one needs to tell loved-ones.

Though I confess I was kinda glad he has this backstory. Because I have thought that he is not as a bad as the other female ex, but I thought it was because I liked this actor in his earlier drama "Rookie Historian". His image is not someone who is a villain.

Let's see how they handle it. The drama has been able to handle cliches (like contest to win the penguin) without it being stale.

Still not sympathetic towards the female ex, though.

6 hours ago, thistle said:

I absolutely loved DH's boss with the mysterious homeless guy.

Agreed! I loved both of their scenes together - Here's hoping they're in more episodes together ( I hope she helps him get over what looks like his tragic past )

And I was also really happy when I realized that the actress who is playing DH's boss AY also played Jennifer on Thirty But Seventeen.  

THANK YOU!  I kept thinking I've seen her somewhere before just couldn't place her!

3 hours ago, Kvothe said:

2 hours ago, Phoenix Klaw said:

Yes, I rolled my eyes at this development. So over-used and cliched. Even if one is dying, one needs to tell loved-ones.

3 hours ago, ednamode101 said:

Whatever reason they give us for Jae Hyuk's sudden disappearance better be good. I can't, for the life of me, think of a good enough excuse to do that to someone

Have they actually said its an illness? Could it be a drug addiction he can't kick? Regardless - no sympathy for either ex - I've got more concern for the homeless guys backstory than either of these two

2 hours ago, Phoenix Klaw said:

Let's see how they handle it. The drama has been able to handle cliches (like contest to win the penguin) without it being stale.

That's because that scene was so over the top :lol: The wind swept hair - the ROCKY music - LOL!

Looking forward to tomorrows episode :blush:

4 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Agreed! I loved both of their scenes together - Here's hoping they're in more episodes together ( I hope she helps him get over what looks like his tragic past )

Looks like he lost his family somewhere along the line.  And that makes me wonder who and how.  Of all the characters in the show, my favorite really is the homeless guy. 

For some reason MyDramaList has his character name as Keanu.  :huh: :lol:

6 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

THANK YOU!  I kept thinking I've seen her somewhere before just couldn't place her!

It was driving me crazy!  I found her so annoying until she was kind to the homeless guy and then I just had to figure out where I'd seen her before.  Brilliant actress.  There's no way I'd have connected her with Thirty But Seventeen until I checked cast listings.  She is just that good.

1 minute ago, thistle said:

It was driving me crazy!  I found her so annoying until she was kind to the homeless guy and then I just had to figure out where I'd seen her before.  Brilliant actress.  There's no way I'd have connected her with Thirty But Seventeen until I checked cast listings.  She is just that good.

Agreed - She was incredible with her deadpan delivery of all those off the wall quotes - I never saw any BTS for Still 17 but I'm sure she must've rolling behind the scenes, :lol:

4 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Agreed - She was incredible with her deadpan delivery of all those off the wall quotes - I never saw any BTS for Still 17 but I'm sure she must've rolling behind the scenes, :lol:

Jennifer was so wonderfully expressionless but still managed to show deep caring behind the mask.  It was an incredible performance.  I don't recall any specific BTS about her, unfortunately but I bet she had a lot of fun with the character.

In the current role, all I could see at first of Ye Ji Won was a lot of wild hair and frantic movement with a loud voice.  I have been really glad to see that there is much more to the character than that, and I hope that our writer will flesh out the story to tell about how AY was once nearly homeless.  

6 minutes ago, thistle said:

In the current role, all I could see at first of Ye Ji Won was a lot of wild hair and frantic movement with a loud voice.  I have been really glad to see that there is much more to the character than that, and I hope that our writer will flesh out the story to tell about how AY was once nearly homeless. 

I can see her eating somewhere with "Keanu" and telling him her story as a way to draw him out - As good as both have been so far, I can see these two being as fun to watch as the OTP

.... and you just know by the end, he is going to end up in one of their productions :lol:

7 hours ago, thistle said:

She was the stationery clerk in The Producers. A hilarious role that could have been overplayed, but ended up sympathetic.

51 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

I can see her eating somewhere with "Keanu" and telling him her story as a way to draw him out - As good as both have been so far, I can see these two being as fun to watch as the OTP

.... and you just know by the end, he is going to end up in one of their productions :lol:

Definitely.  The HomelessOTP.  :D  

He's gotta have a food production.  :lol:

51 minutes ago, Phoenix Klaw said:

She was the stationery clerk in The Producers. A hilarious role that could have been overplayed, but ended up sympathetic.

Very well-said.  That's a perfect description of the way she played Jennifer, too:  A hilarious role that could have been overplayed, but ended up sympathetic.  And the role in Dinner Mates seems like it is that same sort.  The actress has a style of her own, and it works.

She’s actually in a few drama shows I watched lately. Besides 30 but 17, she recently appeared in weekend drama Never Twice. She was such a fun crazy character in that. :lol: I also saw her briefly in episode 1 of Hospital Playlist as a Catholic nun and the oldest sister of one of the main characters.It’s nice to see her here too. 

I think when the homeless character gets cleaned up he will look very nice. I can kind of tell he’s a nice looking man. I’m definitely interested in him and our lady CEO.

Archived