[Drama 2020] Tell Me What You Saw, 본대로 말하라

Prettysup

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I saw a video of diamond rings using the OST of the drama. Also ads for the sunglasses he uses. All of that seems to be PPL. 

@bebebisous33 YES! Thanks for reminding me of the taxi clue. That’s a very important one. SY went all the way back to OHJ to tell him just that! It has to have significance

I wondered how much OHJ remembered from  the time he confronted “The Guy” and in ep 4 its clear many characteristics of the killer are known (at least to OHJ), like his approximate age and height etc I’m still not super clear about candy boy’s M.O in the past. I’d like them to talk more about what they learned about him 5 years ago, how many victims he had, did he usually strangle them? (He is not above using other methods tho as he did in the case of the vet, but in that case things didn’t go according to his plan, as OHJ pointed out)  Does he target women and kill men only if they get in his way or does it even matter? The analysis and correlation of the victims would lead them to his “motive” but other than Team Hwang and OHJ, no one seems to actually want to catch the guy 

btw, did OHJs fiancee die in that taxi she took that night of her recital or is a different night and all we saw was the driver/killer gathering info first? If she died that same night, how did the driver/killer get out? and if so, did OHJ know she was with the killer then? They have not been clear about this at all 

We know that during the interview, 11 victims were mentioned and the peppermint candy was at the crime scene. What caught my attention is that the peppermint candy is always placed differently: for the profiler on the table, for the vet in his mouth, for KSH on the table, for Go in the suitcase... They couldn't figure out yet what kind of persons were targeted implying that there were men and women among the victims. Therefore I am inclined to believe that all the victims could have used the taxi right before their death.

Since he killed the profiler Na and the two serial killers, I have the impression that he must have been looked down by his victims before and in different kind of situations. 

@kohnlee Yes, their surprise was first understandable but my major problem is that since he was chocking, they could have approached him. Nevertheless they only got closer to him, when he was hanging, however it was more visible the moment he was forced to stand up....

• Like 3
  • Insightful 4

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

We know that during the interview, 11 victims were mentioned and the peppermint candy was at the crime scene. What caught my attention is that the peppermint candy is always placed differently: for the profiler on the table, for the vet in his mouth, for KSH on the table, for Go in the suitcase... They couldn't figure out yet what kind of persons were targeted implying that there were men and women among the victims. Therefore I am inclined to believe that all the victims could have used the taxi right before their death.

Since he killed the profiler Na and the two serial killers, I have the impression that he must have been looked down by his victims before and in different kind of situations. 

@kohnlee Yes, their surprise was first understandable but my major problem is that since he was chocking, they could have approached him. Nevertheless they only got closer to him, when he was hanging, however it was more visible the moment he was forced to stand up....

Yes with each episode  we know more  

The killer  making point here he not killing just cause he killing he has his reason or what he thinks  justiceful  right 

He dont have   special  standards  of choosing his victims  or at least not the usual ones he chose them for reason he only know maybe as you and other friends  said here it about someone who look down on him or other view he only see 

But I guess I understand  how he was famous  before I think in the past he didn't have  any connecting  between his victims  then the peppermint candy , he kill both woman and man , he dont have one special  method which he kill with it maybe choking is  his favorite  choice 

So what connected  all his victims the only peppermint candy in their mouths  maybe he killed half of his victims  without anyone even notice  that there a series killer  killing all this victims  

So the only change this time the peppermint candy not in his mouth it no choice for him 

He need to kill him in front of camera he need them to admit  he back they have being hidden it and he didnt even want that , he from killing the other killer In the  police office  he want to announce  his return  

But they keep hidden it 

So for this he has no choice but to change his message   the peppermint candy not in mouth  but in front of the victim for two reasons

1.no way he can make it in mouth and in the same time kill him on air and the second was more important  it like the biggest signature  of his comeback

2. That if it in the mouth  maybe they will hide it again , so killing him on air and put  it in the table for it to be in the crime scene photos too  and all the detectives  see it  

Edit; I like CSY  theory  that the killer maybe was also angry from the other profiler cause he keep talking ill about OHJ since even agree that this theory is logic and can be a logic answer to his obsession about OHJ

Me he was angry about that more than the fact he said he was death since so many go and talk about him being death for sure from the police in front of press so maybe he didnt like  someone he see as lower then him and sure then OHJ come in between and talk about him and his biggest rival in the same time in wrong way 

Edited by nona88
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, nona88 said:

Edit; I like CSY  theory  that the killer maybe was also angry from the other profiler cause he keep talking ill about OHJ since even agree that this theory is logic and can be a logic answer to his obsession about OHJ

Me he was angry about that more than the fact he said he was death since so many go and talk about him being death for sure from the police in front of press so maybe he didnt like  someone he see as lower then him and sure then OHJ come in between and talk about him and his biggest rival in the same time in wrong way 

Yeah! Good point (btw, it was cute seeing SY smile at OHJs approval of her theory) 

So far, in a not super original fashion, we are told the killer is narcissistic? Full of pride? He wants to show superiority? (If he kills people that belittle/mock/disrespect him then ironically what he has is an inferiority complex? But anyway)

Candy killer thinks he is all that and a bag of chips. He probably thinks, how dare that first killer pretend to be him and ruin “the legend” he is trying to create? How dare that inferior prosecutor talk about him? Not that he “cares” about OHJ but he is to him at least more worthy an opponent maybe? More fun to “play” with? So its a cat and mouse game, both hiding waiting for the other to come out and make the first move. We know OHJ wants to “trap” him but what about Candy boy. Is his goal to simply kill OHJ? What fun would that be? (In most cases serial killers are sadistic, and like to play with people’s minds, torture them, not simply kill) The chase, the game they play with law enforcement gives them as much adrenaline as the killings themselves (I remember hearing this from an actual serial killer in a documentary, of course, not everyone is the same) 

but yes, so narcissism, delusion of grandeur, seem to be a theme here...

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

11 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

The writers truly need to dig deeper and let us view HHY and OHJ as fragile humans (more quickly) than take their own sweet time and keep highlighting cases only. I need to see more heart in this show (but maybe, that’s not their intention? :vicx:)

It's only been 4 episodes and the show is still in its set-up phase so I'm sure all of that will be made more evident as the show progresses. :) The cases are hugely important because this is a cop show at its core and there are crucial connections being made among the protagonists and the motley crew of antagonists that have ramifications for the big arc that play out. On top of that the cases allow us to see the characters  in life and death situations giving glimpses of their different personalities.

On the fragility of HHY and OHJ I think that's already happened to some degree as we saw from the big explosion from five years ago. It seemed that OHJ was this invincible, hotshot profiler until he fell prey to the machinations of The Guy. He's in hiding. His body has been broken so all that's really left is his brain. He is dependent on others and on drugs (diazepam) for his day to day survival. I looked up the drug he was using... diazepam and it's used for anxiety disorders, muscle spasms etc.

We also see that HHY's position in the police force as being rather tenuous. She up against official forces that don't want her to succeed. One mistake and she could be demoted or even out of a job. 

There's certainly no place for arrogance in this scenario. Arrogance and presumption cost OHJ is eyes and legs presumably. It certainly cost Na Jun Seok, KSH etc their lives. They wanted to prove that they were at the top of their game. Chief Choi trying to use his authority to stonewall the investigation. The vehement denial that something exists doesn't make it less real.

From my perspective the show is doing a really good job of putting all the characters together in that space and playing out the various agendas. Although I think some of it is fairly standard K drama fare... cops who have experienced tragedy and become cops to solve cold cases, a rookie that's clumsy, wet behind the ears, corrupt bureaucrats etc... at least the show has got laser-like focus and is not trying to cram in a whole lot of stuff in 4 episodes. 

I may be different in thinking that OHJ is better off in the hideout shrouded in darkness for most of the drama. Symbolically it works for me. He is working in the dark just as the killer is. No one knows if he is alive or dead which suits me fine. It also makes him dependent on others for much of the time so it makes the team element crucial. Hyukkie adds an extra layer to the character by giving him an aura of enigma which I'm confident will be unpacked over time.

In response to comments about NSJ being left hanging while the crime scene investigators were processing the scene. I'm no expert on the wrongness or rightness of that but I felt the symbolism was compelling if gruesome. The killer is on a fishing expedition, as it were. He baited NSJ repeatedly about his claim that The Guy was dead. NSJ was adamant that he had the answer and he couldn't be wrong. Of course we know he could be wrong because he has been wrong before. The killer responded in a most spectacular fashion. He proved that he was the one calling the shots. At the end of the day NSJ became his puppet on a string dancing to his tune... nothing more. He used the television platform to stage his own show while the world was watching another. 

The interesting thing too is that the killer did a very accurate profile of NSJ. He understood his prey better than his prey understood him. The perpetrator cleverly used NSJ's arrogance against him. 

I'm much more forgiving of the cops than most because frankly without OHJ they would have even fewer clues to work with than what they do. They are handicapped (as OHJ is physically handicapped) by several things:

- their bosses hampering the investigation

- competition from colleagues

- their perpetual uncertainty about The Guy's survival

- time limits

- a lack of understanding of what's at stake

- SY's inexperience

• Like 1
  • Insightful 8

9 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I saw a video of diamond rings using the OST of the drama. Also ads for the sunglasses he uses. All of that seems to be PPL.

Can I say I can't stand OHJ sunglass? :lol: I was joking about the wedding ring. Don't think he will wear his wedding ring as a prop. Not so much he will lose it because if he doesn't need to take it off in between filming, he won't lose it.

btw, did OHJs fiancee die in that taxi she took that night of her recital or is a different night and all we saw was the driver/killer gathering info first? If she died that same night, how did the driver/killer get out? and if so, did OHJ know she was with the killer then? They have not been clear about this at all

The problem with this drama, from ep 1 to ep 4, is case solving. Yes, we got it that there's a killer out there want to lure OHJ out & want to kill OHJ but we don't know why. Perhaps the drama should stop the case solving & go back into 5 years ago. To kill OHJ fiancee in such a manner, must be the killer & OHJ have a big feud. But what is it???

Yes, how did the driver get out? To over turn a car he needed to drive in a fast speed so it overturned. But how did he get out & he didn't look like he was hurt or injured when OHJ told him to handcuff himself. Drama should show us what happened in the taxi. Did ISU struggle & tried to fight the driver which resulted in the overturn? All we knew is that the driver asked her is she going out to meet someone & she looked at him suspiciously.

9 hours ago, corey said:

why the scar on his face looks so fresh

Amateur make up artist who doesn't know how a 5 years old scar should look like. :lol: yes indeed, sometimes the scar looked raw & red.

8 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Me too. I hope we get those answers. I'm getting impatient just watching him talk about the killer. Soo Young needs to start asking him questions about his personal life and past! Why are they so business transaction-like!!!

As at this point of time, I couldn't feel his love for his fiancee but I could feel more is his regret/guilt. Drama should let us know how they met, how much they were in love, bla bla bla, some insight in to OHJ personal life. Also, let us know did he have big quarrel with the killer last time? Was the killer in love with Isu too? What is Chief Choi trying to cover up? How did JM the handsome police become Chief Choi puppet? So many questions we don't know. 

Initially when I saw ep 2, I questioned as to why he didn't save his fiancee first but go straight to the killer. Could it be over confidence on his part, thinking he could save his fiancee after nabbing the culprit or that he put his work as priority over his fiancee. And I got real upset thinking he put his work over his fiancee.

But when I really think it over, it's duty call. People who work in the police force or military force have a duty to perform their immediate task at hand, in this case, nab the culprit first, personal life 2nd. Only thing is that it was badly done in the sense that audience felt he was wasting too much time with the culprit thus he didn't have time to save his fiancee. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I may be different in thinking that OHJ is better off in the hideout shrouded in darkness for most of the drama. Symbolically it works for me. He is working in the dark just as the killer is. No one knows if he is alive or dead which suits me fine. It also makes him dependent on others for much of the time so it makes the team element crucial. Hyukkie adds an extra layer to the character by giving him an aura of enigma which I'm confident will be unpacked over time.

As always, your analysis is so interesting! And I agree with you here. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It's only been 4 episodes and the show is still in its set-up phase so I'm sure all of that will be made more evident as the show progresses. :) The cases are hugely important because this is a cop show at its core and there are crucial connections being made among the protagonists and the motley crew of antagonists that have ramifications for the big arc that play out. On top of that the cases allow us to see the characters  in life and death situations giving glimpses of their different personalities.

@40somethingahjumma thank you for providing a different perspective to the show. (And also the subsequent long analysis you gave but I won’t copy and paste the whole thing haha)

Appreciate how you’re seeing this this drama in a different light and it’s nice to see when other people feel positive about the show. I may have been too hard on the show myself, (partially cos I love JH and want the show to do really well with the general audience, so am less forgiving when it has its flaws) but I’m reminded of how enjoying the ride and removing unnecessary expectations can just be a good thing too, so that watching the show won’t be so stressful. Haha. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Your comment made me think, this scene would’ve worked if we had seen the guy choke and get hanged first, and then later, shown us how it was done. The fact that they let us, the audience, literally see the wire, made us more impatient. The sequence looked ridiculous too. They shouldn’t have “shown” so much and imply more. 

I think he somehow left the peppermint before. I noticed the profiler looked at the table and made an annoyed face like “ugh” upon seeing something and in my head I thought “he must’ve seen a peppermint candy” and later, they showed it when SY noticed it. 

Wow I didn’t notice that the profiler was looking at the table —- I must have missed it. And there is also this other police officer (Leader Hwang boss?) who seems to want to beat her to everything and even have a ‘spy’ in her team. The drama is more than trying to catch them guy’. Makes one wonder if it is an insider job. 

@budgerie u don’t need to be in a car to overturn a car :) 

im looking forward to next episode! 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I believe for Go Min Ji, the peppermint candy was found in her mouth, likewise for KSH ( i think you have to rewatch ep3) the forensic guy picked the candy from KSH's mouth, that is his consistent behavior pattern. But for NJS, like someone said the situation did not permit him to place the candy in his mouth. 

I wonder if before before the Vet and KSH his victims were only women. The Guy could have been abused as a child and the peppermint candy was given to him by his abuser to shut him up 

• Like 4

Jang Hyuk, OCN specialization + genre no.1 actor… A master of action + eyes acting 

In the original OCN drama ‘Tell Me What You Saw’, Jang Hyuk plays Oh Hyun-jae, a genius profiler who disappeared from the world after losing his fiancée in an explosion caused by a serial killer. In the scene that had been constantly haunting Hyun-jae though it happened a long time ago, Jang Hyuk showed off the acclaimed Jang Hyuk’s brand of action, leaving viewers with deep impressions. In the behind the scene photos released, not only was he seen handling a gun and hanging on wires, his focus on acting amid the fire around him increased viewers’ excitement. 

In contrast, he is now living alone and relying on a wheelchair after the explosion, which is a far cry from the confident and proud person five years ago. In addition to his outward appearance, Jang Hyuk’s delicate eyes and facial expressions made his character even more convincing, while conveying his inner feelings and increasing the immersion of the drama.

Meanwhile, in the episodes aired last week, the serial killer "The Guy" murdered Jeong Chan-goo (Kim Seo-ha), and even killed a profiler during a live broadcast, shocking viewers.

At this time, the genius profiler’s sharp analysis of concentration and quickness, though hidden, is leading the drama with a quiet but intense authority. Not only does it add more fun, it is also raising  expectations for its future development.

The original OCN drama, starring Jang Hyuk, who proved himself to be the no.1 actor of the genre from action to eyes acting, airs every Saturday and Sunday at 10:50 p.m.

202002101109775974_5e40bc043463c.jpg

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111306786

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Soo Young's really incompetent. Aside from her photographic memory, she's hopeless. If Hyun Jae wasn't there to babysit her throughout, she's as blind as he is. 

Appalling that the entire team froze just to watch that evil profiler hang to death. He deserved it no doubt but still. It's obvious he was gesturing for help. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

I am not a shipper, but when I saw CSY's friend giving her a pair of sunglasses, I was thinking she can now match with OHJ hahaha

Gosh I’m glad someone saw it the way I do! When he gave her the Sunglasses I also thought of OHJ. Hahahaha :D they would really make a cute healing couple. Can someone hint this to the writers please? I don’t need it to be an outright confession of love, just subtle hints and a direction towards that would be cute too. Haha. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

I terms of crime drama logic, this one is pretty weak. We had a killer who practically waltzed into a police station and got out safely, we had a social hermit who had some of the best gadgets (supposed he was born filthy rich because i doubt insurance payout or pension) was that significant, we have some police covering up past failures... Basically a lot of glaring inconsistencies. 

The only parts i enjoyed so far was SY's scenes. I thought her microexpressions were quite good. JH spoiled it for me when he laughs maniacally. I don't think it suits the character. The lady chief (not familiar with this actor), is IMHO the weak link in the acting line up. Even the supporting characters are better. I hope things will get better next week. 

• Like 3

@dzareth I’m not too much into the mystery here (its meh) but I am hopeful for the main characters. Sooyoung is playing the most likable and also the most “explored” character so far. I can’t judge if her acting is “great” but its convincing enough plus like I said, her character is the one that has been paid the most attention. That’s cool and I like her a lot but I wish there was more balance (maybe in future episodes) 

OHJ is still a mystery and emotionally he is “numbed” apparently, so whatever Jang Hyuk is giving with his few scenes I find satisfying and as nuanced as possible with all his limitations , not only is he limited in how much he can move or express with his eyes (although I still see the expression, on the one hand I think he is failing at looking blind, on the other Im willing to sacrifice realism for the sake of enjoying his eye expressions) and he is also using his voice quite effectively, but the character needs to be (and hopefully will be) more fleshed out as he becomes more emotionally available. The one thing I don’t like is the laugh, wish he didn’t do it but whatever, nobody is perfect

Tl Hwang, yes, I find her gorgeous but too stiff. However, to be fair, she is the character that has been explored the least of all. I’m still hoping to warm up to her

Acting is the least of the problems in this drama imo. Writing and especially directing and editing seem to be weak point, so far

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

OHJ is still a mystery and emotionally he is “numbed” apparently, so whatever Jang Hyuk is giving with his few scenes I find satisfying and as nuanced as possible with all his limitations , not only is he limited in how much he can move or express with his eyes (although I still see the expression, on the one hand I think he is failing at looking blind, on the other Im willing to sacrifice realism for the sake of enjoying his eye expressions) and he is also using his voice quite effectively, but the character needs to be (and hopefully will be) more fleshed out as he becomes more emotionally available. The one thing I don’t like is the laugh, wish he didn’t do it but whatever, nobody is perfect

Was it ever establish that he was completely blind or something more like legally blind/impaired sight?  With all the cameras, the news clipping/pictures hanging around it really makes one wonder...

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Was it ever establish that he was completely blind or something more like legally blind/impaired sight?  With all the cameras, the news clipping/pictures hanging around it really makes one wonder...

You are right, even that is still a mystery 

He does get audio alerts when he gets a call and cameras could be to get evidence in case the hideout is compromised, the wall of evidence could be for Tl Hwang but yeah I also think he can “see” to an extent, like maybe shadows and shapes 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

You are right, even that is still a mystery 

He does get audio alerts when he gets a call and cameras could be to get evidence in case the hideout is compromised, the wall of evidence could be for Tl Hwang but yeah I also think he can “see” to an extent, like maybe shadows and shapes 

Yea, I can't imagine he would do such mistake with acting.  Acceptable for like one ep, but all 4 eps is a lot.  Especially, since we know that he likes to record himself while acting and rewatch.  He would of realize the mistake he made so I think it was definitely intentional.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1