[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

@40somethingahjumma Thought provoking as always. In that sense SH is similar to IJ in terms of being emotional pillar to others. Another female character that is similar to IJ is MH. Both are adorable busibody inssa.

In my personal opinion both IJ and SH neglect the fact that they also need their own emotional pillar. IJ finds his in SH but going to that direction may take some risks. He's willing to go and try for it so now it's SH's turn to decide.

SH is an awesome character but i find it hard to connect to her. Maybe it's because of her almost perfect image. Even her flaws are cute (tone deaf, eats like a warrior). IJ is another almost perfect character, but i can relate to him because i see his struggles. He's a practical single dad for 1.5 year even when he's still married. He deals with his divorce. We see his vulnerable side talking about the divorce to the patient but pretend to be indifferent about it in front of his friends. We see him trying hard to be a good official single parent to UJ to the point that he no longer has time for himself (clubbing and shopping being his hobby). This side of him makes me feel affectionate to the character wishing for him to find the same source of strength he presents to others. As for SH i dont see her struggling to that point yet. By no means i belittle her struggle in the cancer case, but that trial resolves soon after, not giving me enough time to relate to it.

The other lacking 5, JW, JWan, SHy all have their fair share of trials and tribulations. Even with JWan we see him yearning for marriage and see his struggle finding the right person then decide which one is more important, marriage or the person herself. And we see this through the course of 12 episodes giving us time to understand and empathize. Again for SH it ends early.

For this reason, adding to my wishlist for season 2, is seeing more of SH being vulnerable. This may be important factor for her to acknowledge her need of comfort and find it in IJ.

• Like 2
  • Love 11

Poor Song Hwa...

She kept being pulled into a difficult position she does not want to be a part of. Be it at the NS dinner gathering, or off-drama. 

There is an actress that I kinda like, but she has a base of overzealous fans who keep defending her no matter what, even when her role in the drama called for some unfortunate things to happen to her. The fans blamed the writer and the ML for all those unfortunate things her character experienced. Needless to say, I stay away from following this actress so as to avoid those persistent overzealous fans. 

I wonder just how many people who used to like Song Hwa have now became not liking her as much as before? How many people who are initially neutral about her have started to dislike her? Are you perhaps one of them? 

Maybe what I really want to say is that anything which is overdone will usually only bring adverse effect. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Insightful 3

Q4vaekV.gif

Gif: cr to the rightful owner.

" In this big world
Throughout this long time
Among all these people
I only love you.

In this big world
Throughout this long time
Among all these people
I’m so thankful that I met you"

Confession is Not Flashy

• Love 14

I am glad this thread make me interested in delusional disorder.

Been reading up on the disorder, useful read up when I am bored

We as a community will have to care for him/her. Patient care and support is important. 

Drugs and therapy would not works when any scene not linked also can be twist to become they are linked and support the delusional theory

• LOL 16

Hullo all! 

I can't seem to find the BTS / Special Episode scene of YYS (Jeong-won) talking about having a lovely Winter with Gyeol-ul in Season 2 in his interview by one of the 99ers.

(To which JJS, Jeon Mi-do made funny faces at his reply ◡̈)

Can someone share the video link with me? Much appreciated! :relaxed:

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, syl47c said:

Hullo all! 

I can't seem to find the BTS / Special Episode scene of YYS (Jeong-won) talking about having a lovely Winter with Gyeol-ul in Season 2 in his interview by one of the 99ers.

I only have the mandarin subs version.

• Like 2

I have written a piece (there’s a few more coming because Ep12 seems to crystallize it for me - probably 3 in total - 3 cheers) for the doctors in our midst.  Who have been less frequent here because of their services have been called to the Pandemic that looms large in our world.  A salute to your tireless dedication. :wub:

First cheer - hip hip hooray.  @bedifferent @ck1Oz

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17ciIjZ7Fx5JZe_mL6N5QIh_gqGMgDMRCE6fI-rpYyQU/

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, syl47c said:

Hullo all! 

This is from twitter Yoo yeon seok’s fans account..☺️

• Like 2
  • Love 6

We're doing a rewatch over at the IkSong thread so I've decided to just repost some parts of what I've shared there since it seems to be related to recent topics here :lol: I just removed a few episode-specific parts HAHA

Throughout the course of the airing of the drama a lot of us have been frustrated because we weren’t given much POVs from SHwa. I personally felt an air of mystery from SHwa because of this and because of the fact that I haven’t really seen much of her flaws. But upon rewatching, I got to have a clearer view how even from the first two episodes, we were already given quite a lot of material on SHwa.

SHwa is painted as a strong, independent woman. The modern woman who is confident and self-sufficient. Everyone is amazed at how she as able to squeeze everything into her day because it seems so impossible (which is taking a toll on her health apparently). She seems to have everything under her control and she’s always level-headed and objective that you can be confident about her opinion. Praised as an achiever, she's used to accomplishing things on her own. She arranged IJ’s first surgery in Yulje all by herself and as I’m observing how she teaches her students, she also has the tendency to take things into her own hands. No one can question her capabilities. But when you’re always so self-sufficient, it could also get lonely at times. When you’re always the pillar, don’t you sometimes reach a point where it’s hard to bear all the weight by yourself? We might not see it, but she has her own weaknesses and struggles. She’s human after all. But she has mastered being strong and independent that she is able to keep her composure even in the toughest times. Nonetheless, this doesn’t mean she isn’t shaken inside.

Strong independent women avoid being vulnerable. I believe another chingu has mentioned this before and I’m so happy it was brought up because I also think that SHwa struggles with vulnerability. SHwa still feels mostly comfortable being alone. Letting someone in would disrupt her status quo and would present herself vulnerable to another. This is why despite the occasional loneliness, she continues to depend solely on herself.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think SHwa is lying when she says she likes being single. Depending on herself is her comfort zone after all. She fully enjoys her own company but it doesn’t mean she doesn’t appreciate (and possibly sometimes subconsciously prefer) the company of others. We know SHwa isn’t totally against dating. In fact, she wouldn’t have dated Prof. Jang if she had really preferred to remain single. But their relationship had a wall as with her other past relationships given that she never had a sad goodbye. For the entirety of the first season, SHwa has maintained a firm stance inside her comfort zone which leaves us a question for the second season whether or not she'll allow someone else to break down her walls. 

• Like 10
  • Love 8
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 5

@sillyvivian_yo89

@bee_wannabe

@Arajo81

In general I'm quite happy about how the women are written in this show. They come across as being real people rather than caricatures. I don't cringe a whole lot because while they struggle and make mistakes sometimes, they do their best to learn and overcome their deficiencies. This is a highly professional workplace environment and in reality if the people aren't on top of their game here, they won't survive it. So the show maintains that level of realism. I'm very fond of the nurses and how they're portrayed here. There's not a lot of ridiculous hi-jinx that diminishes the show's credibility.

I don't mind Song-hwa in general and she does serve a purpose in the narrative that's important. I also like that she's an independent woman and that she's actually not the subject of some idiotic, unnecessary reverse harem. The fact that she's not defined by romance in the narrative helps considerably. The show is very careful to respect her right as a career woman who is above the fray that others are involved in. I know no one likes me saying this but I don't discount the possibility of her staying single during the show's entire run. Even if the show goes down the Ik-Song route, I don't see her giving up her independence so easily. Ik-jun is very caring and considerate but their interests don't intersect all that much. In Episode 6, when they both talk about their ideal life, it's like listening to the story of the town mouse and the country mouse. They will have many many hurdles to overcome. IMO. It won't be easy.

I do agree with @bee_wannabe that she can seem a bit too unreal and unrelatable because she's such an elevated character who keeps her feelings under wraps. I understand why she does that too because she is a responsible person that sees herself as a role model for her students. She probably feels like she needs to be strong for them. I don't generally have a lot to say about her because she does pretty much the same thing  each week except for maybe Episode 6 and the last 2 episodes. For me I enjoy her interactions with Jun-wan the most because he brings out another side to her. I'm not just talking about their binge sessions but I like their bickering as well. I feel like he's the only person that doesn't put her on a pedestal. 

It's a double-edged sword with Song-hwa IMO. As an educator myself I can see that she's a good teacher and mentor. And it's really good for the show to have a single career woman dedicated to her job portrayed in a positive way. There needs to be more of that in K dramas. But sometimes I feel that's all she is because the show is being too careful with what they do with her because they don't want to destroy her credibility.

The Sokcho move is a good one though. it's what she's always wanted to do. Plus it's R and R for her as well. She does have a dent in that armour she wears around. I appreciate that she's not overly ambitious but she wants to be on top of her profession through hard work.

@Doremi

I've introduced the show to friends and my other teenager is watching it with me these days. I can't imagine that anybody needs the Da Vinci Code Guide to understand Hospital Playlist. For those of us who want to look at the show more deeply, it's an option but really it shouldn't be a necessity. 

• Like 9
  • Love 14
  • Insightful 1

This is the full index of all HP related videos that haven been subbed. Thank you so much for people who have worked hard and very kind to sub all videos. It is means so much for International fans. :heart:

Note: many of subbed video already been shared in this thread by @im0202 :)

Edited by superspace
  • Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 2

I am rewatching HP again. I was not really attentive to Gyeoul until the 2nd half of the season. In fact I was a little bit sad because her character is mostly just for romance... or so I thought. Only on the 2nd time watching that I notice that she was in almost every scene related to GS. She just stands on the background without a script as an assistant to the doctor. I did not even notice she's in ep1. Hahaha. She also tries to absorb whatever was instructed to her. I really wish she has that "doctor" moment same with Dr. Chi Hong and Dr. Chu Min Ha. The former when he was talking to the "awake" patient in the OR and the latter when she had to make an emergency operation.

In addition, there was also this scene wherein they were talking Dr. Bong. Gyeoul's portion are double compared to others. Kinda funny detail. She also gives out food to others first before eating. Another sweet detail. 

I also rewatched the special episode and live band. Kyung Ho is really cute and I want to give him a hug becoz he really did his best in the guitars. If you are playing the guitar, you will notice that he is still stiff, not much wrist action, and he has to do these picking. Kinda nerve wracking for a beginner, but hey, he managed. Also because of the live band, I am studying a little bit of piano right now. Hahaha.

Mi Do on bass rocks.

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

@__jesse said, While Songhwa is highly independent and capable, it doesn’t mean that she doesn’t yearn for companionship

As someone who’s Songhwa’s age and single and professional, I can say that she is an amazing character to watch. However, something that resonated with me very deeply is when she had the breast cancer scare. As a single person with family members all busy with their own lives and their own families, it can be a scary thing to endure sickness or health scares alone. I have been exactly where Songhwa has been, facing health scares alone except I also got good news. However, there are other professional women like me who actually got bad news and had to face everything alone. The point is, while being single and career oriented is great, I sometimes think it’s nice to have someone to share one’s life with through the good times and bad times. Of course being single or married has their own benefits so it’s really up to the individual so it’s really up to Songhwa to choose the way she lives.

• Like 8
  • Love 8

1 hour ago, __jesse said:

While Songhwa is highly independent and capable, it doesn’t mean that she doesn’t yearn for companionship.

But personally, I don't think marriage is as important as Iksong finding support, comfort and solace in each other's company. 

47 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

The point is, while being single and career oriented is great, I sometimes think it’s nice to have someone to share one’s life with through the good times and bad times. Of course being single or married has their own benefits so it’s really up to the individual so it’s really up to Songhwa to choose the way she lives.

Sorry for cutting it short. Very well said. 

I agree with your posts and especially love the part i quoted above.

2 hours ago, queue said:

I really wish she has that "doctor" moment same with Dr. Chi Hong and Dr. Chu Min Ha. 

That's my other wish list for GU in season 2. I want to see her own arc as a doctor. My greedy GU biased side wants to see her shines in a heartwarming medical case just like CH, MH, and JH. I want to see her directly deal with it not just through praises from others like in episode 10.

I'll bring my favorite twitter threads emphasizing GU's impressive traits. 

This one shows that despite being supporting cast GU has encountered almost every regular cast of nurses and doctors in yulje. Several other people she meets and interacts but not included in the thread : SH, JWan and Eun Won the ob gyn residence.

And this one highlights her tasks as the only GS residence. She is indeed everywhere. Just like what JW said "Jang Gyeo Ul is busy"

• Like 6
  • Love 10