[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

9 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

The episode confirmed my observations from the earlier episodes:

- Lee Rim has always been too focused on the future hence he neglected the past and his own flaws.

- He looks down on children. He never thought that a child could stop that's why the future Lee Rim never realized that his own self from the past would never believe him. 

- Jeong Tae Eul symbolizes the present. Here, she gets new memories so that her present and future are affected. When she says that they should skip many parts, it underlines how much she values the present. 

Lee Gon must have felt lonely trapped in a different time from his lover. So their time spent together in the next episode is very short.

So Luna belongs to Lee Gon's past, she was his indirect helper. Somehow I was right that she would help him but totally wrong because she is still an enemy of Lee Gon and Jeong Tae Eul. She is so obsessed with her past and her own suffering.

It is interesting to see that the ex-Prime Minister has become even more ambitious, she wants the flute for herself. I have the impression that she will contribute to Lee Rim's demise. 

We still shouldn't forget that the drama started with February 2020... so I have the impression that Lee Gon will try to find a way to the past... Remember the end of the episode 10. He was Lee Gon from the future.

She dosen't strike me as someone whos much of a helper

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, gwin said:

I appreciate very much everyone who responded to my questions.  I accept all your explanations (though I do not agree with some of them), but now I have even more questions.

I guess like most of the viewers, it's the time travel aspect and the rules for time travel that are throwing me off.   Despite all the revelations in the last episode, I feel that it is STILL NOT CLEAR what rules we are following.  Because there are hints of both a loop and an alternative timeline type.  So here are more of my questions:

1.    Do we all agree that this is NOT the Back to the Future alternative timeline type?  It can't be the same as BTTF because the scenes we saw in Episodes 1-13 are one original timeline only.  It's not a second timeline.   If it were a second timeline, then there should have been a first timeline where there was no one traveling in time (just like in BTTF).

2.    If we all agree that Episodes 1-13 is the original timeline, then the 1994 scenes (up until that point where LG entered the gate trying to go back to 2020) in this Episode 14 ARE EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED in 1994 when they showed us in Episode 1.   The only difference being, they showed us the "how" which explains why we see scenes that we did not see in Episode 1 (Future LR getting killed, LG meeting Lady Noh in the corridor, LG trying to go after LR but seeing that Prince Buyeong's son helped LR escape etc).

Incidentally, let me add that these whole sequence of events was very well done.   Perfectly executed.

3.  OK here is where the divergence in time travel principles happens.   After the murder of his father, LG attempted to go back to 2020 and realized that he couldn't because LR was no longer there in the in-between.  So the time axis could not be used.

It would have still been consistent with the loop theory if LG did not do anything from 1994 to 2020 that would have an effect of changing future events.  But he did (particularly, that 2016 meeting with JTE).   So now the question is:

-What happened to that meeting we saw in Episode 1 where JTE was rude to him, and the events that happened subsequently thereafter?

-What knowledge of LG does the JTE of Episode 14 have?  Only the fact that the same LG visited her in 1994 and in 2016?  

4.   Now we go to my main point of confusion which is the time in the outside world while LG is "travelling" from 1994 to 2020.   Remember that when LG left in 2020 (after he left the hospital after his poisoning), he would have disappeared from 2020 at that point (because he went back in time).     So to avoid the "missing from KOC for 4 months" point, he would have to return to 2020 at the exact same point that he left right? (Thanks @Heretorant for clearing this up)

Which means that if he goes back to the point where he left, he would not yet know that:

• Luna stabbed JTE
  • The detectives found LR's hideout, and LR's people made it explode

So, will he change these events as well?

5.   Finally, LR.   Unlike LG, his future self cannot go back to 2020 anymore because his past self killed his future self.    So who is the LG we see in the previews (talking to PM).   

From what I know is, 

There is no timeline with Lee Gon who didn't rescue little lee gon

It's just his fate to survive because lee gon future and lee gon future's fate to rescue him self in the past

About the scene that she rude to him?  And lee gon hug tae eul first?? 

That's just memory for future tae eul,  tae eul in the past didn't have that experience. 

About other questions, I'm not sure with my answer,  so yeah, let's wait next episode,  maybe KES is kind enough to let us know everything, let our brain rest HAHA

Sory if it's wrong, HAHA

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Time loop said:
9 hours ago, koreaboooo said:

No horseshoe?

Was that an option I thought the rules were modified and that we have to go with villians 

Oh no more horseshoe?  That's what I changed my avi to, LOL

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

54 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

It's my turn to change my AV. I am running out of baddies but I will still find one suitable.. 

The gang leader that confronts LG and JY

I need gif on one of these gang bosses 

lmao. I will see if I can find you a gif 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

10 hours ago, Umjicheok said:

Yeah that's why I am here still waiting for at least tomorrow's episode before changing the dp to one of the baddies. Being hopeful till the last min LOL .

I refuse to believe that all those shoe close ups and his scenes with psychiatrist and other backstory stuff was shown for .... What??? I mean he is not even the proper third wheel for the OTP . In fact Jo yeong is acting like one.:joy:

LOL!!

We can always change back to a better DP if we are going back to the treason night again. 

However sometimes, we could have overthink when it's really just 1 saviour and the so called different colour of the shoes could be due to 

bad lighting?

:joy:

10 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

Why is JTE suprised on seeing Luna in the dark alley? She saw her from far so what is there to be shocked again?

Edited*

In the new memory of 2016: i think SJ foreshadows his death. He will die though I still dont know why does JTE call him hyung nim?? 

I would think that anyone will still be surprised to see your self right in front of you.

Luna looked exactly like her and dressed like her hence I understand why JTE is still shocked up close.

As for SJ.. He is older than JTE. It's not surprising for JTE to call him that if she treats him like one since they grow up together?

SJ can die. I have said before, I'll gladly hand him up to his executor with bow tie.

I felt that the SJ we saw in 2016, he already knew he has no chance with JTE the moment JTE met up with LG by the phone booth.

I just hope that he will not turn dark in hope to stand a chance with JTE if he erased LG.

I'll haunt him down myself for breaking my heart.

10 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

On the other hand, I do not understand how TE could be so cavalier when it comes to Luna. To follow her alone in a dark alley? Where did our bada$$ heroine go?

She was being bada$$! Hence she followed her alone!!! 

But it was also a mistake. :joy:

9 hours ago, wenchanteur said:
  14 hours ago, gtLmh0622 said:

2020 LR is killed by 1994 LR. And now, what function of so many switched people ? And so many stories of Police Station and KSJ's stories from ep1 to ep10, why ? Any affection if these scenes cut off 1/2 and give us more stories like the last 4 episodes 

You are welcome.

Nooooooooooooothing.

Police investigation scenes : honestly, I can't remember anything. And I watched all EP x2. I don't know who they investigated. I presume the whole is to find the guy than Lee Gon catch in the harass. All this for almost nothing.

KSJ, random clones dudes catch (or not catch) without doing anything, Why ? Why ? Why ?

Actually it is something.

2020 LR may be dead but he is still the same evil prick.

Yoyo kid said to LJH's mum that is how the traitor has created a monster of himself today. (Something along the line)

With the police investigation, JTE was able to get information about LG's parallel world identities. The name, the birth date and etc.

Without the police investigation, there is no way LG would have come across the information just by reading all the books in the library.

All the switches by LR are for his gains and ways to manipulate, control and wealth.

Example:

Pregnant lady we saw.

He didn't change K pregnant lady to replace C pregnant lady.

Based on episode 14, he wanted to know what C pregnant lady will do to get back to her original life.

Seriously, if LR wanted C pregnant lady, he wouldn't check back on K pregnant lady but this evil prick actually send someone to check back means he only really just want C pregnant lady to comply to his wish and commands.

So poor K pregnant lady. She will be offed soon either appearing for few minutes to show her demise and look of disbelief or it will be done offline just like PM Koo's doppelganger. 

Oh god. This is just page 720 out of 732 comments. More to come!

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

The episode confirmed my observations from the earlier episodes:

- Lee Rim has always been too focused on the future hence he neglected the past and his own flaws.

- He looks down on children. He never thought that a child could stop that's why the future Lee Rim never realized that his own self from the past would never believe him. 

- Jeong Tae Eul symbolizes the present. Here, she gets new memories so that her present and future are affected. When she says that they should skip many parts, it underlines how much she values the present. 

Lee Gon must have felt lonely trapped in a different time from his lover. So their time spent together in the next episode is very short.

So Luna belongs to Lee Gon's past, she was his indirect helper. Somehow I was right that she would help him but totally wrong because she is still an enemy of Lee Gon and Jeong Tae Eul. She is so obsessed with her past and her own suffering.

It is interesting to see that the ex-Prime Minister has become even more ambitious, she wants the flute for herself. I have the impression that she will contribute to Lee Rim's demise. 

We still shouldn't forget that the drama started with February 2020... so I have the impression that Lee Gon will try to find a way to the past... Remember the end of the episode 10. He was Lee Gon from the future.

This bleeds my hearth so much. How can love be this painful even with all the sweetness. :bawling:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I would like us to take a moment and put praise on KES 

I sincerely and honestly didn't expect much going into this but she has blown my mind ever since. I am completely lost in her world. I appreciate creativity when I see it on display and this is one of these moments. The time travel, multi-verse and everything mysterious she could throw on us she certainly did. Ep14 was that episode where I threw the towel in and accepted KES wholeheartedly. 

• Like 13
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Emmy Nur'aenny said:

Aha.   I forgot to ask something  sorry if someone already explain this  .

The scene when Lee Jihun mom talk to Yoyo boy , is that in ROK or KOC? :sweatingbullets:

It should be in ROK.  Because later on in we see her being carried out of LR's hideout just before it explodes.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kdramatic said:

Well maybe he still killed his doppelgänger but he probably doesn’t have to send it back to KOC to prove he died since current LL’s would be lying dead on the floor at the palace? 

Yeah but back to that confrontation with the 2 LRs, he probably had his minions take care of the body of 2020 LR.  Probably a small detail considering they had an hour to go for the night of treason

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

733+ pages of Theorizing on Time Travel - Quantum Mechanics - Parallel Universes - Quantum Entanglements - and the very foundations of reality ...

I don't know about the rest of you, but after 16 episodes .... I better get some class credits outta this :lol:

(733+ pages - is that a forum record?)

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

9 hours ago, wenchanteur said:

But they are too snobbish to just insert a subtitle with a date So by the time you understand the context of a scene, it's already too late to be there and receive the emotional impact. This is a serious problem that prevents immersion. But that's not new, it's been like that since the beginning...

I agree about the Dates, earlier editing scenes made it difficult to Switch from Koc to ROK (too many dopplegangers) it was not clear so TF rxn came a little later. So is with the dates , Emotional IMPACT is there but TF emotional impact is missing. Nothing new we should be used to it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Heilo said:

I would like us to take a moment and put praise on KES 

I sincerely and honestly didn't expect much going into this but she has blown my mind ever since. I am completely lost in her world. I appreciate creativity when I see it on display and this is one of these moments. The time travel, multi-verse and everything mysterious she could throw on us she certainly did. Ep14 was that episode where I threw the towel in and accepted KES wholeheartedly. 

I can’t take you seriously with the hideous cousin looking at me like that omfg 

edit: does anyone have a thicc maximus gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

38 minutes ago, Heilo said:

She dosen't strike me as someone whos much of a helper

Well, she helps him because through her, Lee Gon is guided to the portal and meets JEong Tae Eul. She contributed to their meeting. That's why Lee Gon left the pass in the pocket. He used her because he knew the events from the past.

While Luna represents the past, Jeong Tae Eul the present and Lee Rim the future (he is too obsessed with the idea of obtaining the flute), Lee Gon embodies all of them: the past, the present and the future. All this was shown in the reflection of the mirror.

He saw his past self, he saw himself as the man wearing the jacket (present) and he saw the future (he would travel to the past in order to save himself) 

That's why he is called the eternal monarch as he embodies Time.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 5