[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

So basically, Lee Gon is REPLACING himself.  As pre time travel Lee Gon is learning about it and preparing to go, our Lee Gon is actively moving through time.  There are TWO Lee Gon moving simultaneously, one faster than the other, moving through the years for the second time.  Lee Gon 1 is the time traveler speeding through, while Lee Gon 2 is living what LG1 has already lived, with minor differences maybe.  When LG2 gets to April 2020, he GOES BACK, this starting the loop again.  LG1 finishes moving forward through time and takes LG1’s place in the present day timeline.

LG1 and LG2 essentially switch spots.  From 1987 to 1994, there is one LG.  From 1994 to April 2020, we have two LG, one moving at warp speed.  From April 2020 to the future, we will still have one LG.  

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, briseis said:

He hasn't been stuck there for 26 years, the time there flows differently and for him it equals only to 4 months. And exactly because those 4 months equal to 26 years, when he'll come back to 2020 it will be only days or a week at most since he lef

@aya02it's 4 months for him to travel back to the present, i don't think it has to relate to the time btw him leaving the clinic & getting back to taeul

Aya02 is  right, he was away a few days in the nowhere land but will be away from JTE for 4 months, Briseis.

There was only two poisoning attempts not 3. The bowl that Lady Noh fed to the chickens was the bowl that SJ's mom had and where she ate from. Lady Noh took that bowl of food to feed the chickens as a test.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

There’s confusion about how it’s possible that he can spend 4 months there and JTE in present day has not moved 26 years forward. But how can it be otherwise? He’s exiting out of a point in time and that’s it. It does not matter how long it took for him to get there. All that matters is that he chose to exit out in year 2020! 

Yes!!! I think I'm understanding it a bit more clearly now. So we're gonna see our upgraded LG in the last episodes!!!

So following this logic, TE will be the only one who will have their memories from ep1-13, but Upgraded LG will only have memories of his 'upgraded' self, right? So essentially they will have different sets of memories of each other? HUHUUUUUUU

PS I literally had to wait for someone else to post before posting this so it wont count as a consecutive post hahahaa

• Like 7

Ahh OK I finally understand, Lee gon being 4 months in the place  "in between" doesn't mean he's gone for 4 months in present time.

Because he is travelling in the past, not in present time. So he can come back to the present 2020 same time like when he left or slightly later as long as he count it right.

Thanks @AgentQuake@Heretorant and  @briseis

• Like 8
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

So basically, Lee Gon is REPLACING himself.  As pre time travel Lee Gon is learning about it and preparing to go, our Lee Gon is actively moving through time.  There are TWO Lee Gon moving simultaneously, one faster than the other, moving through the years for the second time.  Lee Gon 1 is the time traveler speeding through, while Lee Gon 2 is living what LG1 has already lived, with minor differences maybe.  When LG2 gets to April 2020, he GOES BACK, this starting the loop again.  LG1 finishes moving forward through time and takes LG1’s place in the present day timeline.

LG1 and LG2 essentially switch spots.  From 1987 to 1994, there is one LG.  From 1994 to April 2020, we have two LG, one moving at warp speed.  From April 2020 to the future, we will still have one LG.  

So basically what Captain America did in End Game? Okay that plot point was confusing too.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

Okay and here comes another perspective which totally makes sense as well. I think this works better for me. So instead of an LG 2.0, we still get our LG, and 1994 LG is already on his way back to the past when our LG resurfaces back to the current time, restarting the loop from his POV. Our LG's memories are still the same with those from ep1-13. 

With this, however, how will the timeline where LJH is alive emerge? Okay uhm I guess that's a problem for next week I already have too much to process

• Like 4

Phew!

Finished the episode and I teared up a few times, especially when he 'visits' Tae Eul.

He has built memories for Tae Eul but the LG at Gwanghamun has no memories and only from that night where he got the ID card.

Not sure how the current Tae Eul and time-travelling LG can co-exist at the same time unless time-travelling LG somehow merges with Gwanghamun LG (essentially stopping his time travelling there) but interestingly he could keep going forward until the flute totally disintegrates?

Presumably, LR is still alive and kicking and looks like the next episode will include the PM. We need to get this part over and done with before our OTP can have their HEA.

Somehow I feel that our King and Queen will go time-travelling when they have free time. LOL.

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Wanderer062287 said:

So following this logic, TE will be the only one who will have their memories from ep1-13, but Upgraded LG will only have memories of his 'upgraded' self, right? So essentially they will have different sets of memories of each other? HUHUUUUUUU

So TKEM has chosen to do a mix of the butterfly effect, as well as the MCU time travel.

Butterfly effect - what happens in the past will directly affect your future.  You die in the past, you will cease to exist

MCU - your past BECOMES your future, so you are not affected by anything that happens, except for what you do to your present self.  Example, past Nebula dying does not effect present Nebula, because present Nebula never died in her own timeline.  However, present Natasha dying in the past meant that she could not return to the future.  Her timeline ended there.

So in this case, JTE has dual sets of memories and she can easily tell the difference between both.  Butterfly effect would be that future JTE could not tell the difference between what happened in the original timeline, and what Lee Gon changed during the second go around.  We have a modified version of this.

MCU - the time traveler that returns to the future will still HAVE his own set of memories, because his time traveling shenanigans didn't affect HIS past, or his other self that was living those moments.  His past became his present. 

So the two scenes originally that LG changed - he never affected his own life.  JTE lives with both timelines in her head.  Maybe those memories will affect her and change her.  But maybe it feels like it happened to a different person.  Both times she got her new memories, it felt less like she was remembering her own life, and more like she was getting a glimpse into what LG was doing.

The game changer is going to be the final scene.  If LG is affected by new memories the same way JTE was, he's going to start seeing new memories, but still be able to differentiate what is in the new timeline, versus what is in the old timeline.

Legends of Tomorrow did this with Stein's daughter - he went back in time 30 years and had strengthed his past self's relationship with his wife, popped back up 30 years, and had a daughter. Memories of her started creeping in, but he still remember the existing timeline where he did NOT have a daughter.  He made the choice to accept those new memories and to love his daughter, but he knew that he had not spent 30 years with her, although Lily DID spend 30 years with her dad.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Now I  am still confuse on how the story will continue with LR 2020 being dead in 1994. I mean, his body should be dissapeared like his half manpasikjeok right? i think @gwin has brought this issue too. I will assume his body vanished to the air for now. I think KES will give us answer on this matter in the next 2 eps, let's not call it loop hole yet.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, CallieP said:

@aya02it's 4 months for him to travel back to the present, i don't think it has to relate to the time btw him leaving the clinic & getting back to taeul

Aya02 is  right, he was away a few days in the nowhere land but will be away from JTE for 4 months, Briseis.

There was only two poisoning attempts not 3. The bowl that Lady Noh fed to the chickens was the bowl that SJ's mom had and where she ate from. Lady Noh took that bowl of food to feed the chickens as a test.

I mean everyone has their own theories :) But I firmly stand behind what I said in my explanation of LG's time travel - he traveled back in time and wants to move foward to the point in which he left. The same way the Avengers came back to the same moment in the Endgame or Steve Rodgers later in that movie - it only took mere seconds.

Moreover, if you need futher proof that it hasn't been four months, only look at the preview - LG comes back in time to rescue TE from dying. There hasn't been a 4-month time jump nor anything that would suggest it. It's still early spring. They are wearing light coats, the trees are in bloom, their petals are flowing in the air... When Luna stabs her, TE still has the bandages which cover her wounds from the gas explotion which occured only days after LG left - on her neck and on fingers - if you remember, some people previously thought that one of those bandages was an engagement ring ;).

Fo66O49.jpgDSy9OND.jpg

Spoiler

fvOZd7E.jpg

YRD0ueJ.jpg

Spoiler

Spm0wxc.jpgWaEwRxk.jpg

• Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 3

I'm so excited for tonight episode, guess we'll get more answer especially about LG and the hidden uniform. 

will the yoyo boy (aka, the mapasijeok spirit) will come and rescue him from the time travelling thing? 

usually in KES last works, episode 16 only contains summary or story wrap to end the whole plot. So I guess we'll get most of our unanswered questions in tonight's episode. 

When and how TE and SJ to finally arrest LR, seeing his clothes and blood from the first episode I'm sure he was caught by the time he enter ROK after the coup thing, so it means LG finally able to stop him killing (Jihyun, the king doppelganger, and LR doppelganger who is disable) and create his "followers" doppelganger. TE aware about the time LR about to come then she caught him. That will be one of many things that will "put everything back into its place"

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, kboramint said:

So basically what Captain America did in End Game? Okay that plot point was confusing too.  

Sort of, only LG chose to not go the Steve Rogers route.  It would have been like if Steve returned the stones and then got stuck, and the time machine went from a teleporter to one of those moving walkways at the airport.  The people mover.

It's actually a good example. 

LG1 and LG2 are at the airport.  LG2 starts when he's 8, and takes 25 years to walk to his gate.  LG1, who is 33, is on the elevator walkway thing.  He's moving the same distance as LG2 and gets to the gate in 4 months.  Both LGs arrive at the gate when they are 33 years old, although it only took LG1 4 months.  Let's say for the sake of it that they arrive at the gate within minutes of each other.  Now we have LG2 who is 33, and LG1 who is 4 months older.  Ish.  LG2 forgot his suitcase at security gate 1994, and runs back to get it.  LG1 gets on the plane back to Jeong Tae Eul. 

LG2 gets his suitcase, and this time HE gets on the people mover, while 8 year old LG1 begins to walk to the gate again.  He also doesn't have his suitcase.  While they are looping over and over, LG1 reaches his destination, but there's weird turbulence and he doesn't quite land at the estimated arrival time.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, briseis said:
20 minutes ago, CallieP said:

I mean everyone has their own theories :) But I firmly stand behind what I said in my explanation of LG's time travel - he traveled back in time and wants to move foward to the point in which he left. The same way the Avengers came back to the same moment in the Endgame or Steve Rodgers later in that movie - it only took mere seconds.

Moreover, if you need futher proof that it hasn't been four months, only look at the preview - LG comes back in time to rescue TE from dying. There hasn't been a 4 months time jump nor there has been anything that would suggest it. It's still early spring. They are wearing light coats, the trees are in bloom, their petals are flowing in the air... When Luna stabs her, TE still has the bandages from the gas explotion which occured only days after LG left - on her neck and on her fingers - if you remember, some people previously thought that bandages was an engagement ring ;)

@briseis I stand by you firmly! In my opinion, it’s not a theory. It’s logic. We have been shown that he exited out to visit JTE on 2 occasions. The same thing goes for when he returns back to year 2020. He just simply has to exit! It doesn’t matter how much time has passed in the present, all that matters is that the point of time at which he chose to exit is year 2020. Could be a few days after he left, could even be a few hours after he left if he calculated correctly. 

Must I really get on my computer to illustrate this on a timeline? Lol. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, Wanderer062287 said:

With this, however, how will the timeline where LJH is alive emerge? Okay uhm I guess that's a problem for next week I already have too much to process

He’s already dead. When LG made that phone call to the police, he was already too late.

• Like 2

MSD (Mean squared displacement) Math - Remember he was surprised she knew MSD he said ''You know MSD?'' He meant ''MEAN squared displacement'' and tbh even I don't understand that MSD fully until today. It's hardcore math

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

4 hours ago, lindas55 said:

So here is my theory. First Yoyo child is not destiny but the child needs the king to follow his destiny inorder to restore balance and save the day. That means that there is not a reason why JTE can’t live in the kingdom or even travel back to ROC every now and then if the flute is whole and can help maintain balance between the worlds. Lady Noh has lived in the kingdom since she was 17 and nothing happened. Now all we need is for the King to keep moving toward the place he “needs to be”. Once he gains the flute and it plays we can have our happy ending.  

Look for this clue to a happy ending

Thank you for writing such an illuminating article, and my apologies for cutting your long article in order to concentrate on the Happy Ending

Apart from your points about Lady Noh already living in the Kingdom and the flute enabling inter-universe travel without problems, I have a third point holding up my confidence: LG shouting at the top of his lungs: "Protect her. She is the future Queen of Corea!" To me, the writer KES gave us a hint of the ending with this very public proclamation.

Plus, do you have confidence LG will pull through and believe he is a hero that doesn't fail?

I DO.                                            

• Like 1
  • Love 8
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, rambutan said:

Thank you for writing such an illuminating article, and my apologies for cutting your long article in order to concentrate on the Happy Ending

Apart from your points about Lady Noh already living in the Kingdom and the flute enabling inter-universe travel without problems, I have a third point holding up my confidence: LG shouting at the top of his lungs: "Protect her. She is the future Queen of Corea!" To me, the writer KES gave us a hint of the ending with this very public proclamation.

Plus, do you have confidence LG will pull through and believe he is a hero that doesn't fail?

I DO.                                            

I have FAITH too.

Just hope it is a well-developed ending. *crosses fingers*

• Like 3
  • Love 4