[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

What an episode. Gotta admit I feel pretty smug about being right about LG being the only saviour :D.

I thought for a tiny moment that perhaps LL and Luna had managed to stop LG from time traveling through poisoning him, and that SJ was going to have to travel back in time instead, replacing LG to make sure that the time line would have remained consistent. And so that young LG survives of course. But I'm pretty glad I went with my gut. I really liked that scene as well, quite satisfying seeing LG disrupt LL's plans.

I'm pretty sure that the reason LL killed himself even though he most likely remembers his future self visiting him is simply because of his arrogance (and greed), because his past self does not realize after their confrontation that he has actually condemned himself. Past LL probably believes that he is making different decisions than future LL did in light of the information from their conversation. He doesn't know that he is simply doing exactly the same things his, now murdered, future self already did. LL probably believes that he is - through exchanging doppelgangers and trying to get SJ's mum to poison LG - rewriting his future. He believes that he won't become the same future self he has murdered because of his arrogance, which he of course however does. He doesn't remember exactly how their confrontation went down when he time travels, because he probably dismissed his future self quite quickly after murdering him.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, madmad min said:

Oops Yes sorry

Current Timeline-ROK has 1 id with JTE, KOC has one with Upgraded LG who just got hugged by Current Timeline Jte's memory JTE lol.

Answers .what I think...

1.How does she explain a duplicate conning to be her without any substantial purpose, its not like She is a chaebol needing to be replaced.The entire Coup d'etat will make everyone go TF.

2.She could have called ES as he should have been tailing LUNA , But she called Emergency instead of SJ or Cheif's wife because the Patrol Cars which are nearby will be able to help her faster.

1. Hmm.. may be she can tell them that she wants her life , you know she could tell them since Luna can't live freely in KOC because she has enemies there and has no family but here JTE' s life is so much better. She may not be chaebol but for Luna JTE's life is chaeobol level life . Well eun sup was able to digest it so why not her father and nari :unsure: 

2. Ok this makes sense :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, deabakdrama said:

2.  LR's flute disappear to ashes mainly because of his dead. The flute was brought from 2020, and it is impossible for LR2 can have it which it will create imbalance to the universe. To me, this plot makes sense to me. But my question is: Present LR (2020) must have done the same things (slash his doppelganger) in the past, how can he not knowing that he will be killed by his doppelganger?  He should be more precaution of his own doppelganger. :skull: This part is not convincing me and I could not understand it. And once LR 2020 passed away, who is going to in-charge of his minion?   Wakao, PM Koo took over his place? 

And why do I also get confused with this theory now..... then I also questioned who run the kingdom while the king is "on leave", PM Koo will definitely using this occasion for another style of coup. 

2 hours ago, madmad min said:

So Netflix info

Episode 15- 1 hour 20 minutes

Episode 16- 1 hour 16 minutes

Normal Episodes-1 hour 12 minutes

We get 12 minute extra for 2 days Alright.(No season 2 right? RiGHT??)

No... please no more another season of this. Its not that I hate the drama I love it so much, but my brain will explode if I get to think hard again because of KES..... let me love my king the way it is now... don't make me studying math or anything lie my king did I'm sure my head will explode if that happen 38.gif?w=56038.gif?w=560

About the pregnant lady, that creepy ahjumma... I'm sure it has something to do with PM Koo, either she will be used to destroy her or else

1 hour ago, Umjicheok said:

4. Pregnant lady

Hide contents

So this is the upgraded/new Lee lim who sent that proposal to KOC lady stuck in ROK? Because the one we saw since epi 1 is dead .

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

19 minutes ago, Kim Rama said:

Me: I will not read live recaps so that I'll not be spoiled when I watch from Netflix. 

Also me: *refreshing soompi like crazy when episode 15 airs*

I do not read live recaps either.  It's a torture, but I do not want to be spoiled.  Just like last night, I'll sign off at exactly 10pm Korea time.

• Like 4

Hi all, thanks for all your theories about the episode and explanation about what’s happening. The time travel part is still quite confusing to me and I’m hoping the show can explain it well today and next week! nonetheless, I felt the episode was still engaging and provided us with some answers and sweet moments. 

more of my thoughts here:

https://kdramaanalysis.com/2020/06/06/the-king-eternal-monarch-episode-14-review/

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

8 minutes ago, gwin said:

I do not read live recaps either.  It's a torture, but I do not want to be spoiled.  Just like last night, I'll sign off at exactly 10pm Korea time.

Kept on promising myself this. But I really just couldn't help myself. Hahaha. I usually have a lot of patience and self control. But not for this drama, apparently. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

2 minutes ago, Kim Rama said:

Kept on promising myself this. But I really just couldn't help myself. Hahaha. I usually have a lot of patience and self control. But not for this drama, apparently. 

Do something else!  Personally, I take a long bath and then watch something else while waiting.  It works!

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, Umjicheok said:

1. Hmm.. may be she can tell them that she wants her life , you know she could tell them since Luna can't live freely in KOC because she has enemies there and has no family but here JTE' s life is so much better. She may not be chaebol but for Luna JTE's life is chaeobol level life . Well eun sup was able to digest it so why not her father and nari

In ES defense, He met King Arthur and knows him and his stories since Day 1. Met HIS OWN doppelganger JY who always wants to slit his throat for no good reason and Provided identities for him Also He Lived as his doppelganger in KOC. He is to be trusted he knows that LIFE for a fact and not a mere science fiction.Also that their lives are in a danger with relation to LR and gang.

Nari and Daddy do not know about the REALITY of Lee Gon being an Actual KING in a Parallel World (NARI knows he is handsome and rich but did not buy the fact that he is A king when LG told her that before) , and doppelganger explanation means KOC revelation and opening a can of worms. Unless A NORMAL Person sees it for a fact they will not believe it. That is why I gave the eg of chaebol, theoretically JTE could only relate to LUNA being stealing her identity was with relation to ROK not KOC/Murder/Swapping/Wormhole , it will sound a science fiction to them.Also that Luna does not want her life, Luna wants Her own life(LUNA threatened JTE by saying that her father was about to go on patrol at night in the neighborhood where Luna saw some gang of bad men going, but she did not warn the father because she wanted JTE to feel a Severe loss like Luna does everyday in her lifespan as she looses a day.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, gwin said:

Same here. I always sign out from this forum and Instagram when the drama starts to air as I have to wait till it's available on netflix. And then 15 mins later, I'm going through the live recaps because I just cant help myself. The torture is real lol.

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

I can't help but wonder if there wasn't at some point a version of this script (ep 14) where LG had to travel back in time laterally rather than forward. Instead of the sequence of the two flutes coming together to allow for time travel. A version where he has to travel back in time to save himself and to save the two worlds from LL, not knowing if he will be able to come back. His scenes of leaving JTE some new memories would have had a different, and in a way, even sadder context. It would have been him traveling back, saying goodbye possibly for ever. Maybe a version of this is what LG is doing at the end of ep 10...

I loved LG scene with young JTE. She was so cute! Great child actress. Also loved LG's and JTE's scene in 2016, slightly heartbreaking. Beautifully directed! Very sweet that he gave her the hairband. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

A little help understanding time travel:

Past-future rules

The open past, open future rule

With an open past rule, a time traveler who goes back in time can change events, and

these changes may or may not have an effect on the future. If the time traveler were to

go into an open future, they would also be able to change anything they wanted. Again,

these changes may have a permanent effect on the distant future or not. They would

have to travel there before they had made any changes and then again afterwards to see

if they had made a difference or not. Making changes to the past that cause the timeline

to diverge away from the original could create temporal paradoxes.

The open past, closed future rule

The consequence of this rule is that there is a fixed destiny that we each have, as does

the world. Although a time traveler can leave the present and venture back to change

the past, no matter what they change, nothing will affect destiny from their moment of

departure onward. This allows for a self-consistent universe without temporal

paradoxes.

The closed past, open future rule

With this rule, a time traveler who ventures back to the past is unable to change

anything. Either they can observe the past in a non-interacting manner, or they can

relive moments of their past without being able to change them. However, the future has

not yet happened and only probable futures exist. After travelling forwards in time to

observe a probable future, it is possible to return to the present and make different

decisions that would cause a different future to be realized.

The closed past, closed future rule

With this rule nothing can be changed in the past or the future, not even the smallest

detail. A time traveler can appear to be changing the past when they go back, but

anything they do will only cause the original chain of events to unfold in exactly the

same way.

Types of timelines

1. A ‘diverging timeline’, where the original timeline is replaced by a new

one containing altered events. It diverges away from the original one

causing a different future.

2. A ‘parallel timeline’, where the new timeline sits in parallel to the original

one, so that two alternate futures with different outcomes can exist at the

same time.

3. A ‘converging timeline’, where the original timeline is replaced by a new

one containing altered events. It starts to diverge away from the original

one, but then converges back so that the long-term future remains

unchanged.

4. A ‘double well timeline’, where the original timeline is replaced by a new

one containing altered events. It starts to diverge away from the original

one, but then converges back towards it. However, a change at just the

right time and place can cause the timeline to permanently diverge off

causing a very different future.

5. A ‘fixed timeline’, where the original timeline cannot be changed or

replaced. It is synonymous with the closed past, closed future rule because

the timeline cannot diverge from its original path.

Double well timeline explained

In mechanics a ‘double well’ model can be used to demonstrate the potential and kinetic

energy of a ball. One of the wells contains a ball, which can be set into simple harmonic

motion as shown in the figure.

5291b4c97d46186ec467fcb341e43efc8b512af6.png

The ball will not move into the adjacent well unless it is given sufficient energy to

change its velocity at just the right time and place. If the system is damped, the

ball will eventually come to rest at the bottom of one of the wells.

The ‘double well timeline’, is also a replacement timeline as it combines elements

of both the diverging and converging timelines, but unlike them, it can accommodate

causal loops.

It is similar to the double well model in mechanics in that it will converge back to the

original timeline (stay in the same well) unless a significant enough change is made at

just the right time and place. This causes the timeline to diverge off to a different future

(an adjacent well).

An example of a double well timeline is when a time traveler arrives in the past and

notices that their presence has caused the timeline to diverge away from the original

timeline. However, after a while, they realize that the timeline is converging back

towards the original future. Maybe they even spot that the very things they are doing to

try and change the timeline are causing events to happen in just the way that history told

it. In other words, they are experiencing causal loops. The more they try to change the

future, the more the timeline converges towards the same future as before. This process

continues until they make a significant enough change at just the right time and place,

which changes everything and permanently causes the timeline to diverge away from

the original. So a double well timeline is one where a change at the right time and in the

right place can cause the timeline to permanently diverge off to a very different future.

The important thing to note is that not every change will cause a different outcome, only

a change at the right time and place will be sufficient, and it does not necessarily need

to be a large change.

source

(Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban follows the closed past, closed future rule with a fixed timeline.)

• Like 5
  • Insightful 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Amy323 said:

Same here. I always sign out from this forum and Instagram when the drama starts to air as I have to wait till it's available on netflix. And then 15 mins later, I'm going through the live recaps because I just cant help myself. The torture is real lol.

same here. i find myself just skimming through this forum and avoiding all the texts as much as i possibly can so that i don't accidentally read the spoilers.

i think i'm just looking for the occasional screen caps. lol

i enjoyed the drama and when i came to this forum , the drama consumed me :( or  was it the forum ?hmmm... :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

1 hour ago, Yippeun_eonnie said:

And why do I also get confused with this theory now..... then I also questioned who run the kingdom while the king is "on leave", PM Koo will definitely using this occasion for another style of coup. 

No... please no more another season of this. Its not that I hate the drama I love it so much, but my brain will explode if I get to think hard again .......

@Yippeun_eonnie Yeap,..it is confusing, confusion, and confusion. First, LR 2020 dies in 1994,..it is impossible for LR's doppelganger runs his minions.

LG as the King of ROC can't leave his country for so long. I shall believe he announces Movement Control Order for everyone stay at home and he stays at  palace for few months due to COVID 19..:lol:..No one comes to disturb him, no public conference..and etc

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

yeorobun.... it started

its so laaagggiing i hope it will get better

TE 

TE and LG the gwanghammun meeting. TE voice over as she the first to hug him. TE struggling with her wound. her dad call her, 112 come, her dad thinks she is on police duty. people find her fainted.

SJ

calling JY talking about his mom. SJ 2G phone ringing, he stare at the phone and answer. SJ meet with LR (which LR is he?), Sj ask who is he? what he want? Wuah many people are there also, I guess they are LR follower. that explain why SJ is beaten. LR hit SJ and his head bleed, LR throw SJ real mom. SJ doesn't scare to LR, saying that he never know this woman. LR leave the room. SJ remember his last meeting with his real mom when he's young, his mom push him to do suicide. LR arrive and give her a paper. LR proposed about the switch. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Heretorant said:

GUUYYYYSSSS IT STARTED 10 MINUTES AGO?! 

I’m watching it now and it’s already airing! 

SBS giving whiplash.

JTE had her memory of hugging Upg LG, JTE 's dad calls her and says something. Injured JTE seen by passerbys.

JY informs SJ about Ji-Hun's mom, SJ gets the 2g call from LR, Flashback LR and SJ having the talk about his ROK mom.

Subbs Subbs,

Flashback in flashback , Baby HM/SJ in KOC wanted to commit suicide when the Tea lady and him met LR (I am not sure if we are watching the PAT 94 LR or Killed LR here)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1