[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

13 minutes ago, Hikki said:

He’s already dead. When LG made that phone call to the police, he was already too late.

I mean the spoiler where LMH was wearing an LJH nametag :)

Btw I have another question: can we safely assume that our LL from the first episode was not visited by his future self and this is the first timeline where he did that? 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AgentQuake said:

Also can I get an explanation about the photos and balloons pls

Why are they multiplying 

Why is a photo of JTE fertilizer

Yes, why are photos and balloons multiplying?

4 hours ago, Elnin Joery said:

He couldn't have known that his past self will kill him it's impossible due to where he was from. LR from the Future died in the past but he couldn't have known that because his the one in the future. He can only know what happened to him in the past. This was also LR first time going back in time to change something but it was LG's second time 

LG only recognized that because of the clothes he was wearing that night later in his life and close to the night he went back to the past in 94. 

Thats why LR couldn't have possible known and it was impossible. It was first trip back for him

I don't see that LG went back twice. I see that he only went back once to save himself as a child.

4 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

It was kinda ironic when future LR was killed by his old self... showing how extremely evil he is. He was on a mission to kill his brother and no one, not even his future self is going to stop his evil deeds from happening. Reap what you sow? 

It is kind of silly to kill the older LG. He comes from the future so he should have some interesting insights and killing baby LG may make sense since he has been through the history and come back to warn himself. Young LR is not thinking straight. 

51 minutes ago, magiclily said:

Ahh OK I finally understand, Lee gon being 4 months in the place  "in between" doesn't mean he's gone for 4 months in present time.

Because he is travelling in the past, not in present time. So he can come back to the present 2020 same time like when he left or slightly later as long as he count it right.

Thanks @AgentQuake@Heretorant and  @briseis

35 minutes ago, briseis said:

I mean everyone has their own theories :) But I firmly stand behind what I said in my explanation of LG's time travel - he traveled back in time and wants to move foward to the point in which he left. The same way the Avengers came back to the same moment in the Endgame or Steve Rodgers later in that movie - it only took mere seconds.

Moreover, if you need futher proof that it hasn't been four months, only look at the preview - LG comes back in time to rescue TE from dying. There hasn't been a 4-month time jump nor anything that would suggest it. It's still early spring. They are wearing light coats, the trees are in bloom, their petals are flowing in the air... When Luna stabs her, TE still has the bandages which cover her wounds from the gas explotion which occured only days after LG left - on her neck and on fingers - if you remember, some people previously thought that one of those bandages was an engagement ring ;).

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I remember distinctly LG saying that he will be away from JTE for 4 months.

And 1 hour in the in-between land is a few hours in the normal world  so a day in the in-between world is several days in the real world , that is why LR remains so young. It is 26 years in the real world and only maybe 5 years in the in-between world so LR did not age much at all. 

Yet, he travels in and out of the years, and he did say he had a narrow time line to return before the flute disintegrates and he needed to return at an exact timeline or he would miss the connection so I am confused about that. It seems like @Heretorantis correct in that sense. He returns in a few days or a few hours. He calculated that. So it is confusing. He said both things about being 4 months away and returning at a specific time and place and asking JTe to meet him there. However as I said if he is in the in-between world for 4 months, he would be away from the real world at least a year or two away and KOC would be in a panic with a missing king.

The red in the painting is a bad omen indeed then.

• Like 3

Whoa!! Finally done backtracking 10+ pages.

you guys are amazing!!!

I read so many views on what happened in this episode that my brain now feels like this:

3beebbff50518d696dda42597a873152.gif

:joy:

let’s all drink first. We need something to relax our muscles ;) i know i do :lol:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
  • Insightful 1

I dont know how can I came out with this scary theory: LG watever kill himself after succesfully kill LR94 because he do not want to confront he himself in the 2020... because only 1 LG need to be with JTE. That's why he have that lightning scar on him... :fearful: 

Palli palli EP15 and please come faster another friday for finale.. I really need a closure... 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CallieP said:

@aya02it's 4 months for him to travel back to the present, i don't think it has to relate to the time btw him leaving the clinic & getting back to taeul

Aya02 is  right, he was away a few days in the nowhere land but will be away from JTE for 4 months, Briseis.

There was only two poisoning attempts not 3. The bowl that Lady Noh fed to the chickens was the bowl that SJ's mom had and where she ate from. Lady Noh took that bowl of food to feed the chickens as a test.

i don't know if i get ur point right but i meant him taking 4 months to travel back to the present doesn't mean he was absent form, JTE for 4 months 

it gonna be a week or a little more maybe & as @Briseis said he gonna pick from where he left

there won't be LG1 & LG2 once he come back to the present time 

also i actually calculated the 4 months (in btween 0&1) as per outside & it's about 18-19 years!

he can't be leaving for 5-6 btw diff timelines right?

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

@briseis I stand by you firmly! In my opinion, it’s not a theory. It’s logic. We have been shown that he exited out to visit JTE on 2 occasions. The same thing goes for when he returns back to year 2020. He just simply has to exit! It doesn’t matter how much time has passed in the present, all that matters is that the point of time at which he chose to exit is year 2020. Could be a few days after he left, could even be a few hours after he left if he calculated correctly. 

Must I really get on my computer to illustrate this on a timeline? Lol. 

No need for me, because I think the same! :)

There is no time inside the land between 0 and 1. LG just needs to find a door and exit - to either Corea or RoK - at a point in time whether in 1994 or 1995 or 2016, etc.

He has already told JTE that he would open all the doors until he found her. In ep 14, he opened a few doors at different time lines,  when she was 5 years old, and  in 2016. He didn't change anything, but his encounters with JTE implanted new memories in her.

LG will still be opening doors in ep 15 (tonight come quickly!) because he wants to come back to 2020, where he left off. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I won't give any theories anymore for it will make my head hurt. But let me just make this appreciation post

I just can't comprehend how she was able to pull every emotion off of her so perfectly, that makes you want to cry with her when she cries and laugh with her when she does. She's one hell of a brilliant actress in her generation. I stan!

And these scenes:

Having someone who loves you like LG does to TE? That's one in a million. LMH was able to really portray that well. Even the tiniest expression was so on point. Their acting makes you want to beg KES to give their characters a happy ending coz if not, your heart will break into million pieces too. So I really hope we are looking at a happy ending for these two coz they both deserve it.

• Like 8
  • Love 14

I think the biggest thing here is that there IS no more 2020 Lee Gon by the time our time traveler comes back.  He’s moving forward, other LG is moving backwards.  The day in 2020 that he was poisoned is the day that their trajectories diverged.  One goes back, one goes forward.  They LOOP themselves. 

Lee Gon’s perfect plan is to go back in time, save himself, run back to the day he left, and wait for that Lee Gon to move back in time.  He then takes that place, which was always HIS rightful place.

It’s easier if you think of the end scene hug Lee Gon as a memory, who is going through the original Lee Gon’s timeline.  

• Like 10
  • Insightful 1

EPISODE 14 WAS MIND-BOGGLING-LY AWESOME! :open_mouth:

Well, we are half right and half wrong with our theories.

Mid-episodes, I was already fixed with the theory of one timeline in a loop/cycle. Turns out to be true BUT with upgraded memories of our protagonists! WHOA.

It has a lot of time travel concept similarities too with the following movies: (as some of us thought so too pages ago)

HARRY POTTER: PRISONER OF AZKABAN

Lee Gon is our Harry and Hermione here with Yeong and Tae-Eul to help him with upgraded memory clues.

Just like on the movie, their mission have happened already, but their present selves must go back in the past to do it and succeed. And so the loop is completed, they spend all the time to present (not just jump to it) and time resumes in the normal flow.

THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE

Lee Gon is the time traveler husband. Difference is, he is involuntarily traveling, with no clue where, when, and how long. Throughout his time traveling, he already had been visiting his wife since she was a child and throughout her life. Have been friends and she fell in love with him as a young lady. Reminds me on this episode when Lee Gon visited Tae Eul when she was a  5 year old girl to 2016. I just hope Lee Gon catches up to the current timeline of Tae Eul.

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

This happened already. The cause and effect that I posted some pages ago. Past Lee Rim being motivated to do the coup on that night because present Lee Rim goes back to the past to make him kill Lee Gon because present Lee Gon is going to the past to save himself because it is his destiny. It must be fulfilled. Present Lee Rim dying in the hands of past Lee Rim is EPIC! Well-deserved! Bet he didn't know himself too much, EH?

NOW, this one is new....

THE LAKE HOUSE (starring Bird Box mom and John Wick...LOL)

Something new is introduced on this episode... THE PHONEBOOTH!!! Well, on the movie, the magical time travel portal of messages is the THE MAILBOX which is located on the Lake House where both of our leads live. That's right, they live on the exact same house BUT on a different point in time. The other one is living 2 year back. They communicate through the mailbox while Tae Eul and Lee Gon, we see now, is through the phonebooth. It can transport messages. Tae Eul could help Lee Gon go back to the present time to be together again. On the movie, the girl (2 years ahead) helped the guy avoid his death allowing them to meet at the right place and the right time.

WOW. I love love love this drama!! It has me thinking for a week and finding out I'm right/wrong but ENJOYING it more because I love how the writer and the actors made every episode a masterpiece. I just hope that they don't listen too much on us, the fans/theorizers. I don't want them to be influenced much by our insights or worry and avoid that we have the correct theories. I want them to make the story as how they would have made it without the fans' opinions.

P.S.   Maybe some of us here remember THAT EPIC CABLE SERIES that was so hated in the end but so so so loved by the world for all seasons (except the end). Because in the end, (my opinion only) out of all the crazy theories, they chose the one that no one was able to theorize BUT is the lamest, ugliest ending of all (loverboy-should-be-king killed lovergirl/his queen/empathetic ruler turned tyrant) just because they don't want the ending to be predictable. I'd rather have a predictable ending that we have already theorized than one where we didn't expect but doesn't make sense at all. BUT, I TRUST OUR WRITER. :glasses:

HOPING FOR AN EPIC AND HAPPY ENDING FOR OUR KING AND QUEEN OF COREA! :wub:

• Like 7
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 2

His 4 months is not translated in the world which is still revolving.

He is like a visitor at that period of time.

As he travels, 1994 LG is growing up, learning to be King and becoming King.

At the same time, Tae Eul is growing up, becoming a police officer and getting involved in the Lee Sang Do case.

The only difference now is that she has memories of LG, seeing him when she was a child and in 2016.

At the same time, 1994 LG has grown up with no memories of Tae Eul, just that he has her badge.

At the end of the episode, time-travelling LG has come nearer to the time he will have shared memories with Tae Eul since Tae Eul now remembers her (altered) first meeting with LG at Gwanghamun.

Ergo, Gwanghamun LG is the 1994 LG.

Theory: If time-travelling LG stops moving through time when he saves Tae Eul after she is stabbed by Luna, it means Gwanghamun LG was a memory.

So we only have time-travelling LG and stabbed Tae Eul as the present and continuation.

Hmmm...

Brain still not ok.

LOL.

PS. At this moment, he is travelling laterally forward.

Now I am curious about the spoiler photos of the two of them together.....

Spoiler

when it looked like they were in the past together. That cannot have been lateral travel. Unless, again, it's another alternate universe. But not parallel as they are adults at that time.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Awesome 1

It's not like different place, but just different time,  so,  if lee gon change the past, the future will change, like tae eul who remember the new memory, 

What I really curious is,  tae eul past and tae eul future have a same memory, so tae eul past will become tae eul future,  but how about lee gon?  If lee gon past do something like lee gon future, who come to the past, so, it will be repeat again??  Or lee gon in the future will vanish?

Oh God..  Still so many questions! 
Let's just enjoy all the episode even something still can't understandably  :joy:

This drama is AMAZING :love:

Ah and I watch this, 

It's more easy to me to understand the king:rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished watching ep 14 and I’m literally dying. I’m sitting here just trying to process all of it. 

Originally there was a theory that Lee Gon was maybe travelling back in time over and over again and this episode shows that what we have been watching is the first timeline which is what leads to him travelling back. The way I understand it is that JTE and Young are suddenly getting this new memories not because they had forgotten. Rather, it’s because LG is now in the past making these changes and it is now changing their “present selves”. Meaning that these memories are surfacing because LG is showing up in the past. This is also why when JTE meets him for the first time, her reaction is different this time and hugs him first. This is an effect of LG having appeared to her in 1994 and then again in 2016. 

So technically we are still moving forward through the same timeline - the original one - since the LG of 2020 who went back in time is still technically trying to find his way back to 2020 except that in the process he is appearing to JTE. So really the 2020 JTE is the same JTE but now has some new memories. 

I think LG has figured out a way to travel through time by going in and out of the space between worlds and he’s actually trying to catch up to 2020 from 1994. Remember that time moves slower in that space so 4 months is actually the amount in years from 1994 to 2020. And the reason he is appearing before JTE is so that she knows where he is and for her to know he is trying to get back to her. 

so when LG finds his way back to 2020, we are basically just continuing from the same timeline. 

I haven’t back read so I don’t know what you guys think. 

It’s interesting in that the present (2020) is a result of the events LG put in place in the past (1994, 2016 and during the race in 2020) but then events of the past were also made possible by the present (2020).

Honestly, TKEM is so good. 

• Like 10
  • Love 7
  • Awesome 2

28 minutes ago, briseis said:

Lee Gon’s Time Traveler’s Guide

TE and Gon are from different worlds (they are at different points on the space axis unless they cross the gate) but the time there is the same (they are at the same point on the time axis). It doesn't matter whether Gon is in the Kingdom, TE in the Republic or whether they are together in one of the worlds - it's always the same date for them. 

I'm not entirely sure on which date Lee Gon time traveled but let's say he went back in time on April 13, 2020. On this day, LG travels 26 years back in time = he and TE are no longer at the same point on the time axis. Lee Gon gets sort of stuck there = he can't go back in an instant, that is, by simply crossing the two gates, because he needs both halves of the flute to allow him to travel foward on the time axis in one go. That option is no longer possible.

Reveal hidden contents

b2ac869e3612e4a21dd4b53564b0263da43d1b01

However, he can still travel on the space axis, that is, between the worlds. And here comes THE LOOPHOLE - the gateway is a place where the time is frozen. Thus, when in there, the time barely flows for Lee Gon, while the time in both worlds outside is literally flying and passing him by. The time flows differently in the gateway/in-between - those 4 months is the amount of time which it means for him and him alone.

Hide contents

Lee Gon needs to breach the distance of the 26 years on the time axis and get to the same place where TE is = April 13, 2020 - and it's really good to consider it as a distance rather than time as it’s easier to imagine and even Lee Gon refers to it as “being on his way” to Tae Eul.

Hide contents

The more time he spends in the land of frozen time, the closer he gets to April 13, 2020.

Reveal hidden contents

e9a6d4b995f132b5924caaad9f197ef8d2818f6f

He comes out very rarely, only to check what time it is outside because crossing the gate too many times makes the flute fall apart more, plus the time he spends outside makes calculating the time difference and time flow more difficult.

Hide contents

You need to realize that Gon is counting all the time difference by himself, using only his memory - he doesn't have a pen or paper, or his trusty white chalk and blackboard nor his phone, which he left with Yeong. HE'S BASICALLY LOST IN TIME, COMPLETELY ALONE, WITHOUT TONY'S STARK'S GPS, and the only way he can use to orient himself in it are his math abilities, memories of TE and rarely leaving the gate for few moments to confirm his calculations. Tae Eul really is the beacon who leads him home and prevents him from getting lost forever.

Hide contents

I think Gon's original plan is to go back/foward to the day when he left - April 13, 2020 - but because he's been stuck there for so long, he can't really make notes and sometimes he forgets himself while visiting TE to keep his sanity and plant those new memories, there is a slight error in his calculations. This is not the first time Lee Gon loses count of the time he spent there: the very same thing occured in episode 10 when he was exploring the in-between.

Hide contents

And this very error is most likely the reason why he will come out only several days later after "April 13, 2020".

Hide contents

Thank you for writing this down. It really helps clears out some of what i thought was "Plotholes" and gives me better understanding for LG's time travel Journey.

However, from my understanding through episode 13, the reason he went back in time is to get the Flute before it was broken in half, but he didn't get there sooner to do so. And now, looks like the only benefit from time travel is to leave clues about him in JTE life. So that's the only outcome of his time travel. How is he gonna get the whole flute then? The Yoyo kid said that The King wants to restore the balance, but to do so, he must obtain the flute as a whole. Is he going to time travel again? while his other half of the flute is slowly disappearing?

Can anybody enlightenment me? maybe i miss something.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Just now, Jad068 said:

Karma is a richard simmons, ain’t right Lee Rim? Wait if he is dead (so unexpected), who is the villain for the last two episodes? The Prime Minister?

The PM and Luna :rage:

What's wrong with these crazy girls :rage:

So,  I think Luna just give up about to take Tae Eul's life,  she just want to destroy Tae Eul :tears: Like want she to experience how to lost something/someone like her dad :tears:

Ah and, did Lee Rim tell Luna about manpasikjeok??  Did he tell Luna that thr manpasikjeok is in the whip?? 

Why she want that?  She will die soon right? 

Aiggooooo:crazy:

• Like 2
  • Love 3

27 minutes ago, mamabear said:

I won't give any theories anymore for it will make my head hurt. But let me just make this appreciation post

I just can't comprehend how she was able to pull every emotion off of her so perfectly, that makes you want to cry with her when she cries and laugh with her when she does. She's one hell of a brilliant actress in her generation. I stan!

And these scenes:

Having someone who loves you like LG does to TE? That's one in a million. LMH was able to really portray that well. Even the tiniest expression was so on point. Their acting makes you want to beg KES to give their characters a happy ending coz if not, your heart will break into million pieces too. So I really hope we are looking at a happy ending for these two coz they both deserve it.

That's my Queen KGE!  :heart:  I am a bias - KGE indeed have wide spectrum in all her works,  her persona and personality. For me she not just an actress. She is overall is an Art!. How LMH's fans adore him, thats the same adoration I have with KGE.

She is carefree , adventurous, can speak chinese, korean and English (I think her english pronunciation is very good) , she can swing sword beautifully (try watch her movie the memories of the sword) , she can fight  , she loves heights, she enjoy sky dive, she can bunggy jump, she scuba dive and she can even sing angelicly.... and the most precious one she is so simple.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. In my eyes she is Beautiful with that smiley eyes, naturally adorable cute and the more I see her, the more beautiful she looks.

Hahaha apologies with all my admiration, I just love her! 

• Like 3
  • Love 9

6 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

FYI Monarchs and LMHoes, I just want to warn you all.

The beautiful promo scene where JTE is recovering and LG is feeding her lunch, the PPL kimchi is there.

GET READY.

A PPL Kimichi is never a PPL Kimchi without Jangmi's involved in the scene. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 6