[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

53 minutes ago, adrienne said:

Did anyone notice the eyes of the masked person? It looked like LMH and I'm guessing he brought KGE's work pass to let him look for her in the future.

I thought the same!! :scream:  actually it is a very good theory...

Hello, sorry for not introducing me before, I have been a lurker but no more :glasses:,  I will be here giving comments from time to time.. I am from Mexico and very excited to see our LMH on screen again!!!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I am frankly keeping my LMH fan view aside here for this review. Please don't judge me for my bad english though! I can give bad review, if i don't like something, even if my fave is there.

I will call Lee gon's empire Corea whereas Kim go eun's one Korea

I think the first episode was really well made and i think it is rating winner already, even if initial ratings might seem little less, author has laid a very good foundation for the story. That you wanna watch it further. Kim eun sook creativity is something else.

Two universes and same people exiting there, an exciting negative lead Lee  Rim to spice the show,  Time travel is 100% there, though  they didn't show how, the rabbit must be Kim go eun from corea if not korean one, maybe?  And they must be Helping Lee Gon to find about evil half uncle!

The flute! i wonder what powers it hold, even after getting broken!

Lee rim moved to korea, killed his Korean's version, but they didn't show what did he do to Lee gon's Korean version. So he might be alive and used against the King's version?  So  there can be 2 Lee gon, 2 Jung tae eul. Writer must know what she is doing building this universe, but i am already hooked up there.

I am happy lee min ho is working very hard on his craft, learnt horse riding, improved his dialogue delivery and for me the show stealer in every scene he was! And thanks Kim go eun's character looks much better than her previous show. Looks like well written this time!

I loved his and WDH scenes but clearly the difference in experience and acting is showing because i felt woo do hwan has to work little more on his expressions but he is good enough to improve and i hope he maximizes the opportunity given to him here. Lee min Ho aura was too overwhelming lol.

Kid's version were good too and realy made me cry when he cried over father's death. A good actor on his way!

Prime minister Goo Seo ryung looks power hungry to me and lee min ho and her really had good chemistry in that particular scene.

But the lead pair looks so cute,  even if scene was just one, i can already feel the chemistry!

I am excited that how they introduce time travel, and multiple characters at same time. It makes we wait for second episode and  I hope korean viewers feel the same and hope it gets big response on netflix too.

I couldn't skip a single scene frankly and i hope it becomes huge it!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Finally the long wait for watching LMH onscreen is over!! :relaxed: It was quite a good first episode and I am so glad I got to watch it the same day it aired. LMH is as handsome as ever and so far I loved his interactions with everyone...the PM, his bodyguard, the granny and of course KGE. That uncle is a true devil incarnate :crazy: how many people did he kill in a matter of hours...doesnt even spare children, women or handicapped! How is that flute still working if its broken in half though???

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, jerboa83 said:

Apparently, Netflix won't distribute this drama in my country, Italy. There's no trace of it on the platform... :bawling: 

Do some of you have the same problem?

Not available in europe until after it ends. Something to do with copyright etc etc.

You could check some grey sites... subbed version is already out.

• Like 2

Just watched the first episode. Looks good, sets up some interesting plot points in future episodes. I guess there will be time travel in this series as well as parallel worlds.

- Such a sweet and sad portrayal of the young king mourning his father. Loved his grandmother or whoever she plays in the series and her persistent talismans; loved her in BOF as well.

- I was literally stunned at how beautiful LMH looks. He's perfect for the role of King - so elegant, charismatic and handsome. He took my breath away. 

- Also enjoyed Kim Go Eun's portrayal of a police detective; so different from her role in Goblin.

Can't wait until tomorrow's episode!

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

Not available in europe until after it ends. Something to do with copyright etc etc.

You could check some grey sites... subbed version is already out.

That’a shame- I was worried that would happen in the UK but we got it ok.

It is on dramacool with English subs - try that. 
hope it works for you

• Like 5

1 hour ago, adrienne said:

Did anyone notice the eyes of the masked person? It looked like LMH and I'm guessing he brought KGE's work pass to let him look for her in the future.

They tried to make it difficult to tell the sex of a person and yup you have an interesting theory but... in one of the scenes(a side cut) -- it seems like a girl/woman coz of the bulging jacket. Sorry, i dont know how else to frame this more delicately.

Btw the person saving the child doesnt realize that they have dropped their id.

Id picture is different from the 2019 id picture.

Also, i was wondering after checking the pulse why does the person leave the child and not do any first aid. And why does the child not expect that help and instead "liked" her?

Anyway... am too happy with the FL and i want some goblin like fun so... i dont care. Am here to read comments, see @Ameera Ali's creation and have a party! happy dance.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, Deepakmahajan said:

I am frankly keeping my LMH fan view aside here for this review. Please don't judge me for my bad english though! I can give bad review, if i don't like something, even if my fave is there.

I will call Lee gon's empire Corea whereas Kim go eun's one Korea

I think the first episode was really well made and i think it is rating winner already, even if initial ratings might seem little less, author has laid a very good foundation for the story. That you wanna watch it further. Kim eun sook creativity is something else.

Two universes and same people exiting there, an exciting negative lead Lee  Rim to spice the show,  Time travel is 100% there, though  they didn't show how, the rabbit must be Kim go eun from corea if not korean one, maybe?  And they must be Helping Lee Gon to find about evil half uncle!

The flute! i wonder what powers it hold, even after getting broken!

Lee rim moved to korea, killed his Korean's version, but they didn't show what did he do to Lee gon's Korean version. So he might be alive and used against the King's version?  So  there can be 2 Lee gon, 2 Jung tae eul. Writer must know what she is doing building this universe, but i am already hooked up there.

I am happy lee min ho is working very hard on his craft, learnt horse riding, improved his dialogue delivery and for me the show stealer in every scene he was! And thanks Kim go eun's character looks much better than her previous show. Looks like well written this time!

I loved his and WDH scenes but clearly the difference in experience and acting is showing because i felt woo do hwan has to work little more on his expressions but he is good enough to improve and i hope he maximizes the opportunity given to him here. Lee min Ho aura was too overwhelming lol.

Kid's version were good too and realy made me cry when he cried over father's death. A good actor on his way!

Prime minister Goo Seo ryung looks power hungry to me and lee min ho and her really had good chemistry in that particular scene.

But the lead pair looks so cute,  even if scene was just one, i can already feel the chemistry!

I am excited that how they introduce time travel, and multiple characters at same time. It makes we wait for second episode and  I hope korean viewers feel the same and hope it gets big response on netflix too.

I couldn't skip a single scene frankly and i hope it becomes huge it!

Omg, how did I not think of that? I’m over here trying to find the best way possible to distinguish these two worlds without confusing the hell out of everyone. Korean empire vs Republic of Korea? Tsk, Korea vs Corea! Brilliant! Lol. 

This is just me ranting. It can be a Debbie downer and mood killer so read at your own risk :D

Coming from an unbiased point of view, I thought episode one was a good start. Was it brilliant? Not particularly but, it was good. Acting wise, everyone delivered great! Where I may feel is less brilliant is how the two worlds almost seem one dimensional. For example, Lee Gon’s family is exactly the same in Korea as in Corea. They may be of different status but they are all the same age and again, all one family. Lee rim is once again, the half brother. It just seems too perfectly constructed. By who? By god? How I envision it, if you put two people with the same face in two different worlds, they will end up differently. They might meet different people, marry someone who looks different and have different kids. Just because they have the same face does not mean they are the same person. The only similarity they have is the way they look. If parallel worlds truly exist, I believe it cannot be an exact replica of the same people, same families but just different lives. If they can have different lives, they can also have different partners and therefore, different kids and overall different families. I guess my problem with the script right now is that it’s too much of a coincidence. What are the chances you enter a different world and find someone who looks just like you and it turns out, he has the same exact family as you? The chances are minimal. I love fantasy but huge coincidences, I don’t deal too well with. I think there’s a proper way to imagine something but still make it realistic. If that makes any sense at all lol.

But if I just take a drama as it is and accept that dramas are unrealistic and coincidences are bound to happen, then I can set that aside and focus on what’s really happening. It appears we are in for a story with a brilliant villain. At this moment, Lee Gon has no idea what he’s dealing with and I’m excited to watch how this will play out. I wonder what it’ll be like when they finally come face to face. I’m also particularly interested in the beginning 5 minutes. Lee Rim has been caught and in the hands of JTE. This most definitely has something to do with JTE traveling to help Lee Gon. But how? I’m still wondering. Because if time travel is involved, I might just have to turn off my brain for this one. If we’re dealing with the concept of parallel worlds, I wish writer Kim will just focus on it. If she now brings in time travel, it can potentially overcomplicate things. 

Side note, the beginning JTE probably has not met Lee Gon yet. She doesn’t seem familiar with the existence of two worlds. 

But on second thought, after all that rant, I’m in for the ride even if there is time travel involved. I’m never leaving. Even JTE can handcuff and drag me out and I’ll still be here hahaha. 

——————————————

Lol isn’t the King’s relationship with his grandma cute? I laughed when he said at this rate the prime minister will become the queen. Hahaha. 

I also love JTE’s confidence. Btw, I thought she look FASHION in that outfit! She makes it look amazing! 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

They formed a friendship at a young age. lee gon and jo yeong ,the bromance is on point, that 'unbreakable sword' to each other.I like how they interact. How protective WDH over LMH ,all their scenes today are LIT and fun.

the cinematography shows a clear line of "two different worlds" shown in strong contrasts of color and reflections which is basically the whole concept of the drama.
It was a good introduction to our characters and both worlds! definitely look forward to next episode

Cinematography, casts, production!  Still can't absorb every detail yet , but still everything is perfect!

hwbj5mbcjfzf.gif

Spoiler

5aexpflvvaap.gif

c as labeled

Highlights of the first episode:joy:

4s44ljpkynpo.gif

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Dramafreak said:

Non disponible en Europe avant la fin. Quelque chose à voir avec le droit d'auteur, etc., etc.

Vous pouvez vérifier certains sites gris ... la version Subbed est déjà sortie.

If u can change the country ,u can watch  ,I did the same I am from France ,and I change the country  hong Kong or any one in Asia ,if u are interested I will show u 

• Like 2

The King: Eternal Monarch was trending no.2 on twitter worldwide. It blow up. I was on hiatus somewhere in the deep-web and all of sudden the blast of TKEM has reached me in my cave somewhere in the world. My review coming up soon 

Edited by Joanna Alfson
  • Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

@leeminhosny  même un blockbuster comme DOTS a commencé avec une plage de 14%. Alors que les lotbs ont commencé avec 16,4% en fait. Les héritiers étaient énormes et cela a même commencé à baisser. 

C'est une très bonne note d'ouverture si le nombre réel s'en rapproche.

Alors ne vous inquiétez pas, les notes augmenteront avec l'histoire à venir. 

Le début du drame est bon si le nombre réel se termine comme ça. 

Et il a une rude concurrence avec un énorme drame et s'est tout de même retrouvé numéro un au créneau horaire (ai-je raison?). C'est une chose positive

Yes , also they are a very good drama airing at the same  day  in JTBC  the world of marring ,is a very popular drama ,so hope we get a good rating tomorrow and in all time :thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

It looks like there is more than just one parallel world. I have the feeling that the white rabbit and the mysterious savior are the lieutnant Jung Tae Eul and the king from a different world. another possibility is that they are from a different timeline.

First, it looks like time is not flowing the same in the different worlds... and even it looks like, Lee Lim doesn't age because he is from a different world. Since he went to a parallel world, it means his time has stopped. And it is the same for Lee Gong and his arrival was announced, when time stopped for a while. And this can be very dangerous as once Lee Lim becomes a king, he would rule forever. That's why there is this in the title "eternal monarch"... 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 9

1 minute ago, bebebisous33 said:

It looks like there is more than just one parallel world. I have the feeling that the white rabbit and the mysterious savior are the lieutnant Jung Tae Eul and the king from a different world. First, it looks like time is not flowing the same in the different worlds... and even it looks like, Lee Lim doesn't age because he is from a different world. Since he went to a parallel world, it means his time has stopped. And it is the same for Lee Gong and his arrival was announced, when time stopped for a while. And this can be very dangerous as once Lee Lim becomes a king, he would rule forever. That's why there is this in the title "eternal monarch"... 

It makes sense but could it be due to the flute being the main reason. As long as he has it he won't age? There is also time-travel involved. I think it should have not only fantasy tag but also Sci-fi

• Like 8

Okay, is it just me or is anyone else shipping Lee Gon with Jo Young?

When LG leaned forward and JY said “please don’t” I felt like JY has a crush on LG.. :tears: Can we have that, writer-nim? 

I already like Jung Tae Eul and Lee Gon together. I feel like they’ll have cracking chemistry. :wub:

I’m not a big fan of LMH but when I first saw him in the episode my heart started beating so fast. I have to admit he is beautiful. Really beautiful. 

I want more LG-JY moments: bromance at its finest. 

15871453601587145344.gif

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Here is my review: 

The Show started off very strong. The setting, big production value, the CGI world-building, background scenery and the cast even the minor once seems meticulous done. The acting is great from everyone on the show. 

The pacing is decent and I can't wait for the 2nd episode. LMH and KGE have great chemistry. 

The Villian killed his own self in the Rep.Korea and send it back to MonKorea. He may have also killed Rep.Korea Lee Gon. Lee Gon MonKorea may have saved himself via time-travel or via the Flute that gave him an option to re-due that incident which is why he time-travel but all this is just speculations on my part. I like the puzzle 

Edited by Joanna Alfson
  • Like 10