[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

https://www.asiaone.com/entertainment/lee-min-ho-returns-after-military-service-king-eternal-monarch-my-second-chapter

Lee Min-ho returns after military service with The King: Eternal Monarch: 'My second chapter as an actor is starting now'

APRIL 15, 2020

By Trini Ng | ASIAONE

EF2E8FAA-C9E2-4B5E-8359-397167A4BE4A.jpg

Lee Min-ho as Lee Gon.
Netflix

Our circuit breaker days ahead look happier already. 

After Crash Landing On You and Itaewon Class, the next big Netflix K-drama we've been waiting for, The King: Eternal Monarch, will premiere tomorrow (April 17).

Apart from the off-the-wall storyline, the drama also stars the very gorgeous Lee Min-ho. 

The 32-year-old has been away from showbiz the last three years serving his military service, but now, he's marking his grand return to the K-drama world with this series.

The King: Eternal Monarch is a fantasy drama about two parallel universes — one is a democracy that resembles modern-day Korea as we know it, while the other is an empire ruled by a single monarch.

In order to fight evil and close the door between the two worlds, the ruler of the Korean Empire — Emperor Lee Gon (Lee Min-ho) — joins forces with Jung Tae-eul (Kim Go-eun), a detective who resides in the present-day Republic of Korea.

Check out the latest trailer here:

AsiaOne met Min-ho in a video conference interview today (April 16) and spoke with him about his return and his new project.

Q: How did the three-year break change your perspectives and attitude as an actor or towards acting?

Min-ho: During the three-year break, I had the chance to look back on my decade or career as an actor and I was able to look back on what I wanted to do better, things that I believed I lacked in, as well as the values and purposes I want to set for my life as an actor in his 30s.

And of course as always, I spent a lot of time and put a lot of thought into how I can be better tomorrow than today, and better next year compared to this year. And I believe that my second chapter as an actor is starting now and because The King is the very first of this new second chapter, I really look forward to it.

B598C210-B167-4F6E-A0C8-9FBD86F93C76.jpg

South Korean actors Lee Min-ho (left) and Kim Go-eun. PHOTO: Netflix

Q: What are some similarities and differences between you and your character?

Min-ho: If I look at the similarities, Lee Gon thinks of the people and the country, and so the heavy weight that lies on his shoulders as well as the weight of the responsibilities are probably something way beyond what I can even imagine.

Although it's a lot smaller, I do have similar experiences in that I debuted at a very young age and I am now in my 13th year as an actor. I think the more my fan base grows, so does the responsibility that laid on my shoulders. So I think I can draw some similarity in that aspect with my character.

Regarding important issues, I also like to take my time and put in a lot of thought into making that decision. But once I make the decision, I am also really the type of person to go ahead and push forth with it. Another thing is, at different times, I can be witty, playful or easygoing so I would say that that's how I am similar to my character.

In terms of the differences, of course relatively, I have the privilege of leading a freer life as well as enjoying the little things in my life compared to my character.

Spoiler

7E2DA683-E3A5-45B2-9477-11FF256F9CE6.jpg
PHOTO: Netflix

Q: How was it like working with writer Kim Eun-sook again, as well as with the cast?

Min-ho: It has been a few years since (K-drama) The Heirs that I have a chance to work again with writer Kim Eun-sook. I am very happy to say that I think I have matured more since then and we are also able to communicate a little more on a truer level.

And of course, I couldn't help but marvel at the abilities of writer Kim Eun-sook as I read this script, so I am really doing my best to make our second work great.

As for my experience working with the cast on this project, because we are all around the same age, it was more comfortable and fun or 'fierce', in terms of ambience on the set, so I really enjoyed it.

Q: How is The King different from your other works?

Min-ho: If I look at the work I have done in my 20s, I think that the characters I've played in a way is like a boyish character and it is a coming-of-age story portrayed by a boyish character.

However as for the role I play in this project, it is a more mature adult and of course, it does have the growth aspect of it but he is already a grown figure and also has a great burden on his shoulders so I would say that is the major difference.

Get ready

Spoiler

7FC61C78-BDC1-4CE8-9E3C-91184E2BD628.jpg

Lee Gon. PHOTO: Netflix

From the released trailers and stills, we get a glimpse of Min-ho's charisma as a king in his royal uniform and we are swooning from the visuals.

The King: Eternal Monarch also stars Woo Do-hwan, Kim Kyung-nam, and Jung Eun-chae.

———

https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/entertainment/2020/04/16/lee-min-ho-is-back-and-he039s-got-a-new-series

Lee Min-ho returns with a new fantasy romance series

Thursday, 16 Apr 2020 | By MUMTAJ BEGUM

Lee Min-ho has been away from the entertainment scene for almost three years now, having enlisted in the South Korean army in May 2017. He was discharged in April 2019.

Fans who have missed the actor can catch him in the new romantic fantasy drama The King: Eternal Monarch, which is premiering tomorrow (April 17) on Netflix.

In a video conference call with Malaysian journalists to promote the series, the 32-year-old said he was excited that the series will be reaching a global audience through the streaming service.

"I hope the global fans will enjoy this show," said Lee.

When asked his thought on the fact that the Korean content has gained a following all over the world, Lee replied: "Much like I didn't have any idea that I would still be an actor today or even be in the industry still, I didn't foresee that the Korean content would be loved globally like it is today. It's been amazing to be part of this, even though I have but a small role in it.

"I hope to see the content that we produce remain competitive, and that it will continue to grow in the world market and be seen by everyone."

The 16-episode The King: Eternal Monarch, written by Kim Eun-suk (Inheritors, Goblin), and co-starring Kim Go-eun (Goblin) and Woo Do-hwan (My Country), is set in two parallel universes.

In one, there is King Lee Gon (Lee), the ruler of a kingdom who is obsessed with solving a mystery that happened in the past. In another, present day Korea, lives police detective Jong Tae-eul (Go-eun).

As it happens, the door between these two worlds is opened one day, and these two people meet, changing the course of their destinies forever.

The King: Eternal Monarch premieres on Netflix on April 17 at 9pm, with two new episodes airing every week.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, Sejabin said:

I am officially here. Lol. Can not wait to watch the drama :blush:

Hello @Sejabin. A few more hours of waiting! :D

• Like 5

Lee Minho Says He Is Sad that Kim Go-eun·Woo Do Hwan Do Not Call Him "Oppa" & "Hyung"

201422420_1280.jpg

Actor Lee Minho shared he feels sad that actress Kim Go-eun and actor Woo Do Hwan do not refer to him as "oppa" and "hyung". On April 16, an online press conference for SBS' upcoming fantasy romance drama 'The King: Eternal Monarch' was held.

201422417_1280.jpg

During the press conference, Lee Minho, Kim Go-eun and Woo Do Hwan were asked how well they got along during shooting. Kim Go-eun answered, "Lee Minho has such a great personality. Thanks to his friendliness, we were able to become close quickly." Lee Minho responded, "Despite my effort, Go-eun and Do Hwan still call me 'seonbae'. I was super nice to them; all laid back and stuff, you know." With a laugh, Lee Minho continued, "I wonder when they would start calling me 'oppa' and 'hyung'."

201422419_1280.jpg

Woo Do Hwan burst into laughter and commented, "I think it's the hierarchy in the drama. I'm serving you, so..." Then, he suddenly looked Lee Minho in the eye and playfully said, "Hyung...?", which made Lee Minho laugh.

Spoiler

201422418_1280.jpg

Meanwhile, 'The King: Eternal Monarch' is scheduled to be unveiled at 10PM KST today.

https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1005750920

• Like 5

@Chellsee they can’t stop laughing and now I can’t stop laughing with them lol. Their chemistry off screen is adorable! 

I’m already loving all of the relationships in this show! :wub:

@serendipity... bravo for convincing your friend. I always feel so accomplished when I convert a nonkdrama fan into one lol. After one, they’ll be coming back for more hahaha. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

202004171327496710_5.jpg

202004171327496710_2.jpg

202004171327496710_4.jpg

Spoiler

202004171327496710_3.jpg

'The King' Lee Min-ho, a shining gonryongpo figure, a fairy tale reading emperor

"D-DAY, the door to 'Parallel World Fantasy' finally opens!"

SBS' new Friday-Saturday drama "The King-Eternal Monarch," unveiled Lee Min-ho as shining gonryongpo figure Emperor Lee Gon of the Korean Empire, even wearing a Yongpo.

Lee Min-ho will play the role of the emperor of the Korean Empire and Lee Gon in "The King" to showcase his infinite charm. In the drama, Lee Gon is the third emperor of the Korean Empire, and he is known to be a perfect monarch to the people by combining his beautiful appearance, elegant figure and calm personality. However, he is a science-type man who likes accurate numbers rather than vague words because of his sensitivity and obsession.

In this regard, Lee Min-ho has transformed himself into the Korean Empire Emperor Lee Gon, and is stealing attention by emitting a "shining goryongpo figure" of the ruling party. In the drama, Emperor Lee Gon is reading fairy tales to children and communicating with them. Lee Gon, wearing a dark black gonryongpo and an Ikseongwan, reveals the affectionate side of the emperor by making various facial expressions and reading fairy tale books. Children also respond to Lee Gon's fairy tale story with a cute smile. However, curiosity is mounting over what happened to Lee Gon, who was showing fresh chemistry with the children with a bright smile, suddenly became embarrassed.

Lee Min-ho's shining gonryongpo figure scene was filmed at a studio in Yongin, Gyeonggi Province. Lee Min-ho, wearing a gonryong gun, which is a symbol of the emperor, heated up the scene with his unique aura from the force that appeared. During the filming with a number of children, Lee focused on the script carefully until the end. Lee Min-ho then showed off his impromptu "The Royal Kindergarten" during the break, playing fairy tales for the tired children. The staff also responded to Lee Min-ho's realistic fairy tale storytelling skills, saying, "We have found a second talent," and the filming site was colored with cordiality due to the children laughing.

"Lee Min-ho in 'The King' perfectly presents the true Lord Lee Gon, who is loved by everyone," the production company Hwa & Dam Pictures said. "Only through 'The King' will you see the parallel world fantasy romance that will be full of fun."

Meanwhile, SBS' new Friday-Saturday drama "The King," organized into 16 episodes, will premiere at 10 p.m. on April 17 (Today) following "Hyena."

http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=202004171332385461052_1

• Like 4

NetflixPh IG update

A little preview of our King. Thought this would be the best way to remind you that The King: Eternal Monarch drops tonight!

EVyJ5JPXgAMvy7j?format=jpg&name=small

EVyJ5mxVAAEFxQx?format=jpg&name=small

Spoiler

EVyMiiVUwAAqLse?format=jpg&name=small

EVyJ57ZU8AAlNYV?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by syntyche
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

3 Things To Watch For As “The King: Eternal Monarch” Makes Highly-Anticipated Premiere

SBS’s new Friday-Saturday drama “The King: Eternal Monarch” is finally unveiling its fantastical story!

“The King: Eternal Monarch” is the latest work from screenwriter Kim Eun Sook and tells the story of two parallel universes where one universe is a democracy that resembles modern-day Korea as we know it, while the other is an alternate universe in which Korea is an empire ruled by a single monarch. Emperor Lee Gon (Lee Min Ho) and detective Jung Tae Eul (Kim Go Eun) work together to protect the ones they love and close the portal between the two worlds.

Here are three things to look out for as the drama begins to unfold.

Kim Eun Sook’s latest work

The first thing to remember about “The King: Eternal Monarch” is the fact that it is the latest work of screenwriter Kim Eun Sook. She has written hit after hit with amazing premises, and she has returned with a romance between parallel universes of an empire and a democracy. Bringing something completely new, Kim Eun Sook is set to bring her signature fast-paced, witty lines, charming characters, and thought-provoking messages, and anticipation is rising to see whether this will be the birth of another drama that will stand the test of tim

The-King-Eternal-Monarch-12.jpg?width=50

Amazing character transformations by talented actors

This will be both Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun’s second time appearing in a drama by Kim Eun Sook, and they are set to bring life into their unique and interesting characters. Lee Min Ho will take on the role of Lee Gon, the emperor of his universe, while Kim Go Eun will transform into a cool detective. Joining them will be Woo Do Hwan as chief imperial bodyguard Jo Young and Jo Eun Seob, a public service worker at the National Police Agency’s civil service office. There is also Kim Kyung Nam playing detective Kang Shin Jae, and Jung Eun Chae playing the ambitious Goo Seo Ryung, the youngest and first female prime minister. Lee Jung Jin will bring his 22 years of acting experience to play Lee Gon’s uncle Lee Rim, rounding out a strong cast of actors who are set to play some of the best characters of their lives.

Out-of-this-world cinematography to create the parallel universe fantasy

“The King: Eternal Monarch” will tell a story across two parallel universes, and is set to delight viewers with gorgeous cinematography. Beautiful scenes were shot around Korea, and computer graphics will be added to make it look like two universes really exist. “Who Are You” and “Descendants of the Sun” director Baek Sang Hoon and “Search: WWW” director Jung Ji Hyun will be teaming up together to create the stunning worlds.

Hwa & Dam Pictures stated, “‘The King: Eternal Monarch’ was only possible because it was created by Kim Eun Sook. It will be an amazing drama that will raise people’s excitement this spring. Please anticipate great things to come from the drama.”

“The King: Eternal Monarch” will premiere at 10 p.m. KST on April 17.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1394849wpp/3-things-to-watch-for-as-the-king-eternal-monarch-makes-highly-anticipated-premiere

• Like 2

Meet the Two Female Characters Poised to Win Our Hearts in “The King: Eternal Monarch”

2AA70104-339C-4229-A990-806A6027821B.jpg
https://www.preview.ph/culture/kim-go-eun-and-jung-eun-chae-characters-in-the-king-eternal-monarch-a00300-20200417

Yup, We're Already Crushing On Woo Do Hwan, The Second Lead In 'The King: Eternal Monarch'
4F64A714-34A9-4863-A9EF-5059AE597360.jpg

https://www.cosmo.ph/entertainment/woo-do-hwan-the-king-eternal-monarch-facts-a483-20200415

Lee Min Ho Describes How He’s Changed as a Man and an Actor Upon Entering His 30s

Lee Min-ho Ready to Enthrall Fans with Much-Awaited TV Series
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2020/04/17/2020041701642.html

• Like 3