[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Leeminho cutely complained about he’s being the oldest between him, kimgoeun and woodohwan. He wants to hear both of them calling him “hyung & oppa.” He makes mistake by calling goeun “noona.”

Dohwan said he usually called leeminho “pyeha” (majesty) but in this press con he finally called leeminho “hyung.”

cr: minozlmho

EVtGhFlUMAAh5DG?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Netizen comments :

(+47,-2) I will stick to the emperor Lee Minho. Cool.

(+38,-2) I'll look forward to tomorrow night.

(+39,-6) I saw the highlight. Wow, that's great. Lee Minho and Kim Goeun have great chemistry.

(+12,-3) Finally The King is tomorrow.

(+11,-2) It's been a long time, I will look forward to The King.

(+11,-2) King of the Eternity,  Lee Minho, fighting!

• Like 8

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200416006400315?section=print

Actor Lee Min-ho returns to small screen with fantasy romance 'The King'

April 16, 2020

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, April 16 (Yonhap) -- South Korean star actor Lee Min-ho said Thursday that his latest television project, "The King: Eternal Monarch," will be a turning point in his acting career of nearly 20 years.

"I've been on a hiatus for about three years, and that time was very important for me as I've turned 30," the 32-year-old actor said in an online press conference. "I've looked back through my past years and thought of what to do in the future. At that moment, I received a call from producers of this series."

BA818BD7-8375-4A17-8FFE-193BB8AD7D2D.jpg
This combined image provided by SBS shows characters of "The King: Eternal Monarch." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Lee, who debuted in 2003 and soared to stardom with the 2009 drama series "Boys Over Flowers," left the entertainment scene due to the two-year mandatory military service in 2017, following his last TV drama series, "Legend of the Blue Sea" (2016).

Discharged from the military in April last year, he chose "The King," set to air on Friday through SBS, for his return project. It is one of the most anticipated dramas thanks to the reunion of Lee and renowned screenwriter Kim Eun-sook after "The Heirs" (2013).

Kim is known as the most sought-after drama writer in South Korea for a number of smash-hit TV series including "Descendants of the Sun" (2016), "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God" (2016) and "Mr. Sunshine" (2018).

"When I first read the script, I was so eager to participate in this project and I wanted to do it well," he said. "I decided to go with this drama as I knew Kim's influence on the Korean entertainment circle."

In the 16-episode fantasy drama about two parallel universes, Lee takes the title role of Lee Gon, emperor of the Korean Empire in the past, who goes over to the present-day Republic of Korea after a time portal opens due to unknown reasons.

Lee said his character is a scientific and mathematical person who likes to extract the right answer to a problem, but is very sincere and warmhearted at the same time.

"He wants a clear answer and focuses on the process of solving problems," he said. "He looks a bit slow, but his words have power and sincerity."

Kim Go-eun, who takes on two different roles, as a detective in the present and a criminal in the past, said viewers will love "The King" for its unique setting in parallel universes and attractive characters.

It is her second time working with author Kim Eun-sook following the hit drama "Guardian."

"This drama is about two parallel worlds and has many details. All the characters are memorable and sweet," she said. "I'm doing my best to live up to the expectations of the screenwriter and fans."

Directed by Baek Sang-hoon, "The King" will also be available simultaneously on Netflix from Friday.

75CD4B90-48B0-4587-A8C8-29DDA193A444.jpg
This photo provided by SBS shows Lee Min-ho (L) and Kim Go-eun, who play the lead roles of "The King: Eternal Monarch," posing at a press conference in Seoul on April 16, 2020. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

brk@yna.co.kr

(END)

• Like 9
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Heretorant said:

LMH and WDH linking arms and laughing on stage is the cutest bromance ever! 

The cast is so silly! They can’t take the host seriously. They keep laughing lol. 

@Heretorant

I love it.

Maybe it comes with the age but recently  I enjoy more stories about bromance, sismance and friendship in general.

Looking forward for the 1 episode .

• Like 4
  • Love 2

763704_490721_629.jpg

763704_490721_629.jpg

The highlight video of "The King-Eternal Monarch" has surpassed 100,000 viewers based on the number of views on Naver TV, proving its popularity

http://www.topstarnews.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=763704

100697399.1.jpg

New actor Yoon Jung-hyuk has been cast in SBS' new Friday-Saturday drama "The King-Eternal Monarch."

In the drama, Yoon Jung-hyuk will serve as the "South Search Team," which protects the palace of the royal family of the Korean Empire, and will show his unusual presence and charisma by blending with imperial people such as Cho Young (Woo Do-hwan), the commander of the imperial guard, and Gu Seo-ryeong (Jung Eun-chae),

the prime minister of the Korean Empire.

Yoon has been making eye contact with viewers by appearing in web dramas "The Acting Idol," tvN's "Love of Transformation" and JTBC's "Third Attraction" with impactful masks and excellent character analysis. In particular, he has shown stable acting skills that are not new to him as a reliable but cute detective Lee in the JTBC drama "The Third Charm," drawing keen attention to his new transformation.

SBS' new Friday-Saturday drama "The King-Eternal Monarch," starring Yoon Jung-hyuk, will premiere today (Friday).

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20200417/100697400/1

1c0ada9f-4f89-4e7a-b506-775a449ea8b7.jpg

Aston Martin Sponsors Vehicles for SBS Drama 'The King'

Aston Martin Seoul, which officially imports Aston Martin, said it will sponsor vehicles for the SBS drama "The King: The Eternal Monarch," which will begin its first broadcast on Friday.  

The drama "The King" is a new work by Kim Eun-sook and is a hot topic drama starring actors Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun. Aston Martin will also feature the DBX, the brand's first SUV, as well as sports car lineups such as DBS Super Leisure, DB11 and Vantage.  

Lee Tae-heung, CEO of Aston Martin Seoul, said, "The large-scale broadcasting sponsorship means that various activities are in operation that can "create consensus with customers" as Aston Martin Seoul said at the DBX launch site," adding, "We will carry out experience programs that can show outstanding performance and high technology, as well as brand awareness."

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=23756534

Edited by syntyche
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Chellsee said:

Finally it's D Day! :wub:

Some beautiful fan arts.

yaasss it's D-Day....i woke up with an unusual happy mood today, just have to endure another 13 hours. 

Is anyone else watching the LIVE from any other website besides the SBS website...can kindly share your link?

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

30000645914_1280.jpg

The first episode of "The King: Eternal Monarch," Kim Eun-sook's parallel world romance is coming...three viewing points

Kim Eun-sook's new drama "The King" is finally unveiled.

"The King" proved its explosive ripple effect by dominating real-time search terms from the first teaser with the romance set in the parallel world, the return of Kim Eun-sook, the hit-maker writer and the full attendance of popular Korean actors such as Lee Min-ho, Kim Go-eun, Woo Do-hwan, Kim Kyung-nam, Jung-chae and Lee Jung-jin.

Ahead of the first broadcast of "The King," it has arranged three points to watch.

Kim Eun-sook

The first point of view of "The King" is writer Kim Eun-sook. Writer Kim Eun-sook, who has hit a home run with her unconventional imagination every time, comes with a more surprising and evolved romance of "parallel world fantasy."

Romance across the two worlds by the Emperor of the Korean Empire and the detective of the Republic of Korea is expected to be a single drama to quench viewers' thirst for "newness" among similar-looking dramas.

Moreover, with the popping lines, attractive characters, philosophy-containing humanistic messages and mysterious moods of Kim Eun-sook, who creates trends in each work and saves the essence of the taste of words, "The King" is raising expectations as it heralds the birth of a masterpiece drama that will widen the spectrum of dramas to the next level.

New Life Character of Beliefs and Treasures

Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun, who have made two rare appearances in Kim Eun-sook's work, breathe in their unique characters, delivering excitement. Lee Min-ho will play the role of Lee Gon, the emperor of the Korean Empire, with a dignified and charismatic appearance, while Kim Go-eun, who turned into a detective Jeong Tae-eul of the Republic of Korea.

In addition, attention is being paid to Cho Young, the captain of the Royal Guard of the Korean Empire, and Cho Eun-seop, a cheerful Korean social service worker, both played by Woo Do-hwan, including Kang Shin-jae, a detective played by Kim Kyung-nam. It is also on the verge of a "life-time character renewal" of "the trusted actors" as Jung Eun-chae, who played the role of the youngest and first female prime minister of the Korean Empire, and Lee Jung-jin, who played Lee Rim, the most intense character in his 22nd year of acting.

Fantastic visual beauty that completes a parallel world fantasy

"The King" heralds a fantastic visual beauty more than ever, as the story unfolds about fate and love sweeping the doors of the parallel world across the Korean Empire and the Republic of Korea. It perfectly depicts the parallel world, which existed only in imagination, with its majestic, picturesque background and mysterious CG unfolding at moments across parallel worlds.

Director Baek Sang-hoon and Director Jung Ji-hyun will join forces to imprint parallel world fantasy romance and its new world on viewers.

Producer Hwa & Dam Pictures said, "The King" is a story that could be imagined because Kim Eun-sook is a writer, and this is a fascinating drama that will amplify the excitement of spring 2020. Please look forward to the first broadcast which will warm up the small screen with story development in extreme imagination," he said.

"The King" will premiere at 10 p.m. on Friday night.

http://sbsfune.sbs.co.kr/news/news_content.jsp?article_id=E10009883400&plink=ORI&cooper=NAVER

• Like 5

yass! finally the countdown has come to the end

prepare to meet the handsome Emperor #LeeMinho with the cute police Kim Goeun thru the romance across parallel worlds & the breathtaking tightrope walk that was unimaginable

Stills cut

qscjf1c2uxmb.jpg08rt9k2yksd7.jpg

9jagyx92aqva.jpg

Spoiler

8irj9rz5l7p0.jpg

• Like 9

Premiere Watch: The King: Eternal Monarch

EVvZswbU4AAV3ZO?format=jpg&name=small

Time slot: Friday & Saturday
Broadcaster: SBS
Genre: Fantasy, romance, historical
Episode count: 16 (70-minute episodes) :wub:

Possibly the most anticipated drama of the year so far, The King: Eternal Monarch is set to premiere later this week. You don’t need me to tell you that this is not only Kim Eun-sook’s latest creation, but that it’s also Lee Min-ho’s first project after his military service. The budget is huge, the stakes are high, but if you can believe it, the buzz is even higher.

The King: Eternal Monarch tells the story of two parallel worlds. One world is a modern-day Korea with the Korean Empire still in existence (and Lee Min-ho as the eponymous king), while the other world is South Korea as we know it today. We’ve seen our fair share of dramas that explore what a present-day Korean monarchy would or could look like, and they’ve ranged broadly in the kinds of stories they’ve told, so I’m curious where The King will land. But it’s the parallel universe aspect that intrigues me the most here — a devil opens the door between our worlds, and here’s betting that our characters get thrown into some serious havoc because of it.

Lee Min-ho’s role as the king sounds fairly standard. He’s the epitome of a regal monarch, but he’s also prickly, sensitive, and obsessive (yep, sounds like a Lee Min-ho role to me!). He also has a penchant for escaping from the palace (with his shadow/guard Woo Do-hwan in tow). There’s a bit of history that makes this setup even more dramarific, though, because as a child he not only endured a trauma because of his father’s assassination, but he just might have already crossed that barrier into the other world. Hmm, a persnickety king with a taste for adventure can only need one thing… a heroine to match.

That’s where Kim Go-eun’s character comes in. She exists in the “real world” South Korea as a crime-fighting detective who’s tough, protective, and dogged about bringing criminals to justice. The two meet when the door between their worlds is opened, and it looks like they have to join forces to close it.

Where things get complicated is that Kim Go-eun also exists in the Korean Empire reality, but here, to contrast her crime-fighting detective, she actually plays a criminal. Woo Do-hwan also exists in both realities — in one as an imperial guard, and in the other as a public service worker. These dichotomies are very much on purpose, and set up a ton of storytelling potential — I’m pretty sure the drama will have some fun playing with these doppelgängers. Rounding out the cast is the Korean Empire’s prime minister Jung Eun-chae (who gets entangled with the king), and Kim Kyung-nam (a major crimes detective with an unrequited crush on Kim Go-eun).

Whether you’re chomping at the bit for this drama’s premiere, or burrowing under the covers to protect yourself from the takeover, it’s a pretty safe bet that The King: Eternal Monarch is going to be important in the annals of dramaland. Will it be important like Heirs is important, or will it be more of a Mr. Sunshine situation? I’ll see you on Friday — let’s find out.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/04/premiere-watch-the-king-eternal-monarch/

• Like 7

2 hours ago, SophieH said:

yaasss it's D-Day....i woke up with an unusual happy mood today, just have to endure another 13 hours. 

Is anyone else watching the LIVE from any other website besides the SBS website...can kindly share your link?

@SophieH, here's a link: https://aqstream.com/sbs/SBS-Stream-2

It needs flash player to work. 

• Like 3