[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

1 hour ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@SweetButters You know you have a good point here. I've just done rewatching episode 4. You know I supposed to watch new airing dramas to get out of this cycle for once. But I failed. Lol.

Okay, my point is before LG returned to KOC he visited the bookstore in ROK and brought the KSW's poetry book to his world and kept it in his pocket then when CL Noh checked on his things she found the book. Back then I was thought it was nothing but after the twist in ep 12. I guess the writer must have planned for this. That twist isn't just in the spur of moment, as what you elaborated in the original of your post, it might be a clue how she came from ROK  and ended up living as the citizen of KOC. 

@Alice Wonderland TKEM has become our life haha. Yea Lady Noh seemed like she was having like a mini flashback when she saw the book. I wonder though what if a side effect of living in a world you aren't from for too long is what causes you to lose your memories? Although Luna and JTE might be the outliers from that theory. The only connections I could make is that now we have 3 people who were fairly young when they lost their memories (SJ, Lady Noh, and Luna)...something is fishy with that!

--------------------------------

53 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Going back to episode 1, she said “This is part of a plan” when kid JY approached kid LG during the mourning ritual – is that connected to her secret story?

Aaahh 4 more epis. That means just 2 weeks to go. Truly wish KES will neatly wrap up all the loose ends of TKEM. But definitely, I will miss this show.

@mychoiyoung I made a post here that is a theory about Lady Noh that maybe could explain things? lol not sure though if its correct lol. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Anagha said:

@koreaboooo I know right. :)
@Wanderer062287 I was just confused with the fact that this time freeze started only after LG crossed the door. Before 2019, there was no time freeze. Why? This was my doubt.

I guess this issue of time freeze will be solved once the two parts of the flute are joined. Then LG and JTE can cross the door anytime they want. :)

Edited 1 hour ago by Anagha

My guess is that prior to LG's crossings since there was only 1 traveller (LR) using the flute time did not freeze.

The flute was never meant to be halved. I think it is part of the rules of travelling that only one is the wielder of the flute. And since it got broken, the terms of travelling got compromised.  The time-stops is a manifestation of the rule being broken.

So yes I agree that once the flute is repaired, then the attendant problems will be solved.

• Like 11
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Umjicheok said:

If KES really wants to make it makjang drama how about showing Luna- JTE as identical twins(?):lol: ( Luna somehow stayed in KOC, that's why she doesn't have any identity including her name. )

Ok this can be story for season 2 along with my old wish of seeing previous timeline OTP Romance.:D

( Speaking of makjang reminds of Goblin scene where grim reaper and Deokhwa were so immersed in morning birth secret revealing makjang drama :joy:)

If KES really wanna make a makjang drama, she might probably write that TE is from KOC and because her family has something important or are someone important, due to whatever reasons, were killed and she was brought over to ROK to save her. Over there, perhaps her current father adopted her but maybe something happen... And she couldn't remember anything and was just told her mother died and well, her father is the current father.. Luna was then exchanged over (maybe she was an orphan in ROK) and brought over to KOC. She has no memories whatsoever. 

Hahahaha. That would truly be so makjang. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 8

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

“Because if you ain’t gonna sit and watch the whole freaking drama, then of course you ain’t gonna understand anything!”

OhMyGosh - that is the problem with some of the posters in other forums who bash TKEM.  They would claim that the show is bad cos it is hard to understand, etc... but in the same breath they would say that cos it is so boring they would fast-forward to the JY/ES scenes.

No wonder they don't understand the story, right? And they have the gall to complain (me just looks to the sky)

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 7

19 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

Spoiler alert of a happy ending (look what’s in LG ‘s left hand :joy:):

Hide contents

Can someone tell me what is in his hands? I cannot see, lets analyze the picture. Who is the child with those bags in hands? Lee Gon's expression is sad??

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

12 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

Can someone tell me what is in his hands? I cannot see, lets analyze the picture. Who is the child with those bags in hands? Lee Gon's expression is sad??

I see the flowers of doom?

Wait is that just a piece of shrubbery?  Or the flowers of doom? 

who is carrying groceries is that JTE???

• Like 4
  • LOL 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AgentQuake said:

@vangsweetie637 are you my aunt?  Is your sister my mother?  Because that is HER watching Crash Landing On You.  I finally shoved her down in a chair and gave her a snack, and then turned on CLOY with Chinese subtitles.  Next thing I know, my brother is yelling at her to go to bed at 1:30 am because she's still downstairs watching it. 

+++++++++

I wanted to do a rant/sob about the OTP,  because I love them.  This is going to be a wall of text basically about how I wish to simultaneously be LMH and KGE, because I love both of them so much.  I swear, THIS SHOW!  I've watched many things with both of them before, and they were both just...there.  But now they're both my baes and I want to love them forever and ever.

Huggies

Reveal hidden contents

I rewatched 2 and 3 last night, and a lot stood out.

• The first hug.  There's been a huge progression in their hug scenes! 
    • Ep 2 - LG strides to JTE, she backs away.  He hugs her, she's 2 seconds away from kicking him infertile (which would be a huge disservice to her, must've been fate telling her to just push him.  Good yoyo boy)
    • Ep 6 - JTE runs to LG, he's caught by surprise
    • Ep 10- They run towards each other
    • Ep 11/12 - the holy grail of all hugs. 

I don't know if they intended for this to happen.  But it's such a beautiful progression.  The interesting thing about Jung Tae Eul is that she really didn't need LG in her life, she was doing just fine before.  She had a good career, her dad, good friends - without LG, she would've lived a fairly fulfilling life.  A life just like mine or yours, with her biggest concerns being whether or not she gets a promotion, enjoying her chicken nights with her friends.  LG's life was completely unfulfilled - he looked like he was just going through the motions of his duties.  He snuck out all of the time and disappeared for weeks on end, to the extent where it became a big media issue. 

So when he hugged her for the first time, it was probably the first time he's hugged ANYONE since he was 8.  And she was shocked for a moment before she decided to push him.  He was confident, she was hesitant.  For Hug 2, he was hesitant, she was confident.  And she ran right to him the way that he ran to her.  And this time, the person who received the hug hugged back.

It's also beautiful how JTE now needs him in her life.  And she still doesn't see him as the King, or a Monarch, or even someone who's in any way or form in a position of power over anyone.  She just seems him as Lee Gon.  She never once saw him as the King, and she's entirely unimpressed by the riches. 

Okay I'm losing my train of thought because I want a LMH hug, moving on.

Kissies

Reveal hidden contents

So happy to see the show acknowledge that they're both consenting adults, and that JTE isn't some shy little wall flower.  I mean, CLOY had two nearly 40 year olds just stare at each other when confronted with the idea that they were going to be apart forever.  I love my Captain Ri and Yoon Seri, but the guy gives you an engagement ring and you just stare at each other?  STOP STARING AT EACH OTHER.

JTE is one of the most refreshing FL I've seen in Western/Eastern media, and I love how mature their relationship is.  From the beginning, they're fully honest with each other.  LG's always told her the truth, and she's always insulted him straight back.  She understands his drama King romantic side, and he accepts her cynical side.  He's allowed to ramble on and on and be mushy, and she gets that it's his love language.  He understands that her love language is smacking him around and her non-reactions.

They both understand that they have their own duties, with LG's dedication to his country as a public servant and leader, and he understands that she had a full life in ROK.  They recognize that they're going to have to split, but they're going to have a damn good time before they do.  You can see them crack a few times, and it's getting harder, but they've never selfishly loved each other.  They love each other for the betterment of themselves, but they'll always put their entire worlds first.

They're also not afraid to show affection, and aside from the first awkward kiss, it's been fully consensual ever since.  And JTE isn't some brick wall there waiting to be kissed, she initiates stuff too and is fully into the physical side of their relationship.  I'm SO sick of some awkward 12 year old kiss with the FL's eyes WIIIIDE open and no reaction.  It made sense for their first one in the Palace because she wasn't expecting it, she wasn't 100% sold yet, and it was a surprise to her.  If episode 12 was STILL like that, we'd have a major problem.  But it wasn't and that's why it's trending up and up and up.  LMH's getting all of the credit for that scene, but KGE also did a GREAT job actually acting like a modern woman, instead of some cardboard cut out.

Future

Reveal hidden contents

I've never liked when one character has to give up their life or standards for their love interest, because love is really about compromise and doing what's best for the couple as a unit, not as individuals.  Too often, we see the FEMALE lead give everything up to be with the guy of her dreams.  LOTBS did it quite well, they moved to a little house by the ocean so she's in her world, and he's in his world.  They actually found a convergence zone for the two of them.  CLOY did okay as well, they ended up in Switzerland. 

If the show wants to end with JTE as the Queen of Corea, then I want to see her actually want to be there.  Not just for LG, but have her satisfied with her position as Queen, in love with the country, OKAY leaving her home and everything she knew.

We're actually kind of getting there?  I noticed something funny in episode 2/3 - he told her that he takes her to be his Queen, and she actually TECHNICALLY said yes!  Lee Gon, pls go back and rewatch your own history when you're stepping through time.  I found you a loop hole!  JTE basically said that if he can take her to the Kingdom right now, she'll go announce herself as mother of the people.  He was a little delayed, but he DID get her there! 

YES YES YES YES!!!!! to everything you said. I can agree with some, how the drama should have been more obvious showing JTE falling for LG, but i don't get all the comments like "the romance is forced, No chemistry, cringe" like WTH???? I feel like their relationship is healthy and like you said consensual. LG has liked her since the beginning, so, he has always been honest to her about who he is, no matter how crazy he sounded to her, and it paid off when He took her to his world.

Can i add something to your list too? I love how when LG and JTE started working together, they establish boundaries, JTE had her list and LG had his list, she also established when it comes to ROK she is the leader and he needs to listen to her and vice versa, when it come to KOC it's LG who leads. in ROK, JTE set his phone up, checking on him, brought him meals, got him his big stuff animals and in KOC LG treat her like... his Queen. No Noble idiocy, no Unnecessary misunderstanding, or complicated third person. Although SJ obviously harbor feelings towards JTE, but it's not being highlighted and i see that the drama won't explore much of it, we got evil uncle, dopplegangers, and time travel to resolve, aint got no time for Second Lead Syndrome. They both matured and emotionally level adults, no one is healing the other person and no co dependency. KES should be applauded for writing this kinda love story and FL, considering her track records, except for MR. Sunshine, KTR kicked richard simmons

Someone on reddit responded to one comments regarding the "forced romance" and this person said that maybe because their relationship is healthy and has no drama, so it's boring, that's just how solid relationship is in real life, no drama

I agree with you, JTe as Fl and their relationship is a welcome changed in kdramaland.

• Like 14
  • Love 6

22 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

@Nikaa94 Its the forget me nots or Larkspur haha. the person with the grocery bags is probably a crew member bringing them snacks hahah. LG is probably hungry haha. it looks like they were in the middle of shooting before cutting to readjust some stuff .

--------------------------------------

14 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

I see the flowers of doom?

Wait is that just a piece of shrubbery?  Or the flowers of doom? 

who is carrying groceries is that JTE???

@AgentQuake HAHAHAHH I DIED at "flowers of doom" :joy: or I like to look at it as "flowers of his most glorious day" hahah. pretty sure that person is just part of the crew bringing in snacks lol. JTE is on the right side in a uniform :tounge_wink:

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

People have raised the question why use swards when you have SWAT team and police with guns. Aside from the fact that the way it played out was powerful, a  very practical reason to not use gun fire is the problem of friendly fire. When everyone is shooting it's hard for a hostage or even your side not to get caught in the cross fire. JTE was in the line of fire and there were a lot of men to take down.Odds are if they had started shooting she would have be hit by bullets from both sides. Also SWAT teams work best when they have one or two targets and not a big crowd. 

• Like 10
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 5

Re: the spoiler, looks like LG might have visited JTe on several timeline. First when JTe was Little kid and this time looks like when she graduated from the police academy. I remember on one of her pics, it shows when picture of her graduated from the Police academy and it's that uniform and that's how her hair was done too. this might be sad. Is Lg can only visit the past? and he wants to see JTe during some of her important moments in the past?

Please let it be beautiful solution.

• Like 4
  • Sad 15

1 minute ago, scrawford said:

Re: the spoiler, looks like LG might have visited JTe on several timeline. First when JTe was Little kid and this time looks like when she graduated from the police academy. I remember on one of her pics, it shows when picture of her graduated from the Police academy and it's that uniform and that's how her hair was done too. this might be sad. Is Lg can only visit the past? and he wants to see JTe during some of her important moments in the past?

Please let it be beautiful solution.

@scrawford I thought maybe she finally got promoted from lieutenant to senior inspector hence the outfit haha. Like yea she would be wearing that uniform when she first graduated, but if she’s promoted she would wear that same uniform except probably have more pins added to signify her promotion in ranking. Plus she had talked about being upset of not being promoted since forever haha and in ep 7. 

As far as time traveling is concerned, I’m still going to go with what I posted here! Basically it’s like your future self going back and help your present like Harry Potter time traveling !

• Like 11