[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

1 hour ago, SweetButters said:

@cpt_falcon hahaha yep some of my friends were born as "accidents" or "oopsies" hahaha

I imagine if more folks were separated by alternate dimensions, there would be more "oops" babies. :lol:  Seems like the reaction just got more intensely visceral the past few eps every time LG and JTE reunited.  JTE straight-up was sobbing in his arms when she'd been waiting for him in the bamboo forest when he unexpectedly showed up on Maximus.  It's no wonder they risked scandal and slept together already. :wub:

oh yea that could totally be true that the son saves the father or parent. Like in this show I watched call "The Flash" the main character, Barry Allen, times travel back in time to save his mom. However, as a consequence, he accidentally created a different time line haha.

Unless yo-yo kid is also their kid or descendant and he's course-correcting as a result of Man In Black's actions saving child!LG.  If Man In Black is LG/JTE's adult son, I want to believe because he's shown up just the one time (as far as we know) that maybe adult son knew what he was doing?  Or it was always meant to happen?  IDK IDK  Thinking about time travel story arcs too in depth hurts my brain. :lol:

So if I remember correctly, Osiris had a wife named Isis who after Set had killed Osiris and cut him up into a bunch of pieces. Later on, both her and Horus had put together Osiris's body and made him King in the underworld. So in this case, Horus would be LG, Set is LR, and Osiris would be LG's dad. 

The version I'm familiar with is Isis was the one who restored Osiris, at least partially (enough to conceive Horus with the vital parts :lol: ) and after Horus defeats Set, it's when he helps his mother continue the mission to save his father.  

Even not factoring the potential mythological parallels, but JTE is such a fighter and we see her repeatedly fight against some impossible odds and make it, often to save someone she cares about?  I keep thinking over and over JTE (in theory, their adult son as well) may have a very critical role in the story's endgame not just in saving the day, but also saving LG specifically and it's not something I think he'll see coming.  Possibly involving a big reunion (even if signs seem to be pointing to a bittersweet, sad ending at the moment.... I'm sort of hoping KES is playing with us and all the sad tropes we're seeing now are misdirects and she's really intending a surprising happy/uplifting ending.  I'm prepared for the worst, but so hoping KES writes against expectations right now lol).

ahahahhahahaha we are all cheering for jack to climb that beanstalk :tounge_wink:

Hopefully more than just the once! :naughty:

• Like 10

3 hours ago, ms_inquiry said:

@Heretorant

I posted a theory of why some people are experiencing the scars and some not. I think I might be somewhat right . I have attached the gist of it below :)

The lightning scars, balance and God

I believe that it is the doppelgangers of those that have been murdered by world crossers that are experiencing the scars. However isn't that unfair, as people have pointed out (LG importantly didn't kill his doppelganger)? So how does that make sense? Because their deaths have all upset the balance of the universes, which is what is felt by their living doppelganger - no matter if they are responsible or not. It is not only the why but also the what behind the painful scars. We have seen that the doppelgangers are somewhat connected, we were reminded of this fact through Na-ri's doppelganger in this episode. 

SJ replaced a dead child, and I suspect Lady Noh was able to go to the Kingdom because she replaced a dead important royal member. So there inly meant to be absolutely one of these characters alive across the two universes - this is balanced. But LG's doppelganger's, the henchmen, (probably) the PM's etc. were killed by people of the other world - upsetting the balance. Since their doppelganger's are meant to be alive. It is not about there being balance in such a way that there should always be two living doppelgangers, nor that they must be in the right world: It is about the balance that, as we have been told through LG and his father, only God has the right to determine (ep 1 and ep 8 I think?). Murder is a huge sin and I don't think it is a coincidence that LG revealed in this episode that his mother was Catholic nor the fact that the Church is one of the few - if not only - building in the same spot across the universes.

Edit: Also as a Scandinavian I feel I should point out that lightdening was for a long time believed to be a "weapon of God", like in the case of Thor for the Vikings, but also in other faiths such as the Christian faith. When lightning strikes it causes the imbalance that the ungodly actions have caused to be revealed, if one wants to give it a very religious interpretation. 

I wonder about the difference in color of the markings.  LG markings are gold and he had nothing to do with his doppelganger being killed by LR.  LR, PM and henchmen markings are red and black and they definitely had a hand in their doppelganger being murdered.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 3

When Luna looked at the call history on JTE's phone she found that JTE wanted to know how to grow a magic lily plant. The plant JTE wants to grow is also called the resurrection lily.  This plant is yet another symbol of what may be to come and for me a sign of hope that it's possible we may still get a happy ending of sorts.   Magic lilies "sometimes called resurrection lily and mystery lily referring to the flower's delightful habit of popping up unexpectedly in late summer long after its spring foliage has disappeared. Gardeners who named it were probably unaware of its growth habits, and thought the dying foliage signaled the end of the plant." What looks like the end of the growth of the plant is just the beginning of new growth/ life. JTE and the kings' love might be like this plant. Long after we think there is no hope  something will happen.  What we take as the end will in fact be a rebirth of their love after a long frozen time.It seems that the writer keeps leaving clues that this will be true.

• Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 8

On 5/23/2020 at 6:22 PM, Heretorant said:

How’s episode 12 going for you guys? 

For me, there’s been no progression. No kidding, I spent the past 2 hours playing and replaying the inconsiderate scene. 

Let’s observe the kiss, shall we? Here’s my 10 part series after I’ve watched it for about 100 times. 

1) He kisses her neck. It’s not just a peck, he licks her neck. He’s saying “I want you.” 
2) She’s taken aback. Pay attention to the way she moves her mouth and body. It’s so sensual. 
3) He eases in with a peck.

4) The look on his face says it all. He wants her badly! 
5) The way she looks at him says she’s nervous but knows what’s coming. Like, “oh shiz, I teased him and now he’s going for it.”

6) He’s staring mostly at her lips when he’s speaking to her. 
7) He goes in for a full on passionate kiss. Ahhh the lip and jaw movement! Sexy as hell! 
8) He pulls back, his stare goes from her lips to her eyes and back to her lips, he touches her lips, meets her eyes, gulps and then goes in for another kiss. 
9) Even as the camera pulls away for a far away shot, there’s still head movement. It looks too real to be fake. Me thinks they’re still kissing.

10) His body completely relaxes and you can see it sink onto hers. 

SEXUAL TENSION AT ITS BEST! From a minoz’s point of view, this is the best and most sensual kiss he’s done. It tops even the lobster kiss. The lobster kiss was sweet but this one has sexual tension written all over it. I’ve never seen a Korean drama couple that’s rather innocent had this much sexual chemistry! It’s out of the sbs korean drama world. I can’t get enough! 

Thanks for bringing the whole sensual kiss moments,...can feel LG wants her badly...

On 5/24/2020 at 12:42 AM, kboramint said:

The problem about ratings is that most people nowadays don't watch TV shows when it's broadcasted live. They either wait for streaming (Hulu for example), and since this is on Netflix, people would rather watch it when they have the time to do so. 

Absolutely agree with you.

I think only the elderly watch through cable. And, yet such Science fiction storey, they might not understand...

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 8
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, Kdramatic said:

Do you guys think LL broke the flute into many pieces? When Luna went into his apartment, there were multiple umbrellas in the umbrella stand.

I guess this would allow whoever he wants to go to and from each world without him actually accompanying them every time.

It will also make it harder for LG if there are various pieces he has to find to hold the complete flute.

Common LG chop chop your flute. One for JTE, one for JY, one for KSJ :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

2 hours ago, Joanna Alfson said:

It actully has success in sk(streaming platform called i guess wavve and netflix sk) just not with the elder people but the younger generation who dont watch tv as the survey suggest in the naver comments age range while its international success is unprecented and something to get behind. Its performing like a western hit on netflix its rare you see foreign shows perform like that outside of money heist. 

This is probably the biggest thing coming out of asia for a good while and you have to go back a decade to find anything comparable to it coming from that region. 

It was trending #2 on twitter the night it premiered worldwide and it was trending #2 few days after that with LMH horse riding leak on weibo Thats basically the two major social Media worldwide and trending on both 

Guys let’s trend it on twitter next week and especially in the final week. Show it to knetz that it is loved by the international audience.

• Like 8
  • Awesome 3

2 minutes ago, Keikokoko said:

I felt cheated on The Kiss. The was beauty but where was adult part. 

The neck part of course. It’s so sensual. And kge’s reaction. It was so real. She felt the chills down her spine. 

:lol:

I meant to say JTE.

Not really. I totally meant kge. 

Of course, count on me to unlurk only when someone talks about the kiss :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Gariyada said:

Hey, of course I wouldnt mind. I am Turkish. Actually, when I see read posts assuming and addressing forum readers as females, I kinda give a big smile. It's even funnier for me because my girlfriend whom we can't leave our house for months because of covid quarantine, is actually pretty bored of me talking about this drama :). She didn't even give a chance to it.

Maybe you show her a scene with dashing Lee Gon and she might fall in love with his looks and sexiness.   On second thoughts better not, then you might have to compete with Lee Gon for her attention. :D:D. Just kidding!

I think LMH is really great in this role as a King.

• Like 4
  • LOL 12

2 hours ago, Joanna Alfson said:

its international success is unprecented and something to get behind. Its performing like a western hit on netflix its rare you see foreign shows perform like that outside of money heist. 

This is probably the biggest thing coming out of asia for a good while and you have to go back a decade to find anything comparable to it coming from that region. 

It was trending #2 on twitter the night it premiered worldwide and it was trending #2 few days after that with LMH horse riding leak on weibo Thats basically the two major social Media worldwide and trending on both 

I am mostly very genre based guy who mostly watches gore and violence. Just my hobby I love action based movies and series but I was drawn to this by the hype so I jumped on the wagon found myself a very interesting series now that being said. I wanna addresse TKEM objectively about it's international performance. 

Mainly on the western streaming platforms or even movies are tracked differently compared to other places. Example before a movie drops the production team and long range trackers have some sort of picture how it will perform weeks before and on the last week they have close range forecast and the same goes to tv-shows example ''Witcher'' premiered Last christmas and Netflix chose to announce another season for it before the first one aired 1-2 weeks? The question is why because they tracked it and knew how massive the ''Take off'' was gonna be and what they mostly look for is the ''Take off'' both in Tv-shows and Movies. What dose it mean having major take off it means massive trending on social media and it's hot topic all over the world and by this indiction they will know that the take off is gonna be massive and once the take off is massive the Tv-show succeeds by default and same with movies the opening weekend is the most important thing once the opening weekend is massive then it will grab the remaining cash slowly but surely. Mostly they can tell whether a show or movie is gonna flop by only it's take off. 

In TKEM case it had the typical massive International take-off for Tv-show as you mentioned it come out with major hype and made alot of noise online not only on Twitter but also in Weibo as it was trending #2 and I remember mentioning this before the week after it aired and I recall saying that this is already a major success and I was going by it's ridiculously massive take-off. 

Aside from it's take-off it has been blowing up on Netflix and dominating 20-22 markets and if you add up these markets subscriber base they reach around 40MIO subs on netflix and constantly been dominating these markets sitting 1 or 2 in most and in other areas constantly in top 10 for the last 4 weeks consistently and if you add up the rest such as the US, Latin A, or EU viewers on top of these then it increases further plus its 16 episodes that air twice a week 2 episodes and then you gotta multiple that with 16 while on the short ultra conversative forecast it could land on 50mio views for it's first 4 weeks and that's ultra conversative but in more realistic forecast that is mid-range it would land on 70mio views for it's first 4-6 weeks and probably end up at somewhere in the 80-90 mio views around october-september making it easy into the top 10 Tv-show in 2020.   It's run was unique and another question to raise Is this KES' biggest hit ever Internationally I would say definitely and by a large margin and LMH's second biggest. 

• Like 15
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

I love how he's wearing the dress whites he wore in confronting the hostile military force trying to invade his country while also trying to get JTE to agree to marry him.

He's been successful only in one so far and it seemed easier to face down the Japanese naval fleet than having JTE agree to be his Queen. :lol:  

I really do hope she can see what he sees and, even if the prospect is understandably daunting, she'd be an amazing queen and I'm not just talking as some baby factory.  The woman has fire in her and like LG said, "When courage is needed, she becomes a warrior."   Fire, but also heart.  What LG didn't see was how she bodily placed herself between those goons and yo-yo kid.  Desperate to protect the innocent still, regardless of the odds against her.  That is 100% queen material.

Meanwhile PM Koo is sneering while LG is in deep grief.  Maybe she'll turn around before the very end  (more than likely after her mother is threatened or her mother is killed, likely due to LR and/or her actions, and she's bitterly sorry for her choices), but someone who is amused by someone else's pain/grief?  Yeah, that's a sadist.  And all because LG refuses to give her what she wanted.  She is very much so not queen material.  Maybe for LR if he's looking for another wife/concubine.

• Like 12
  • Love 3

@Heretorant

Let’s observe the kiss, shall we? Here’s my 10 part series after I’ve watched it for about 100 times. 

1) He kisses her neck. It’s not just a peck, he licks her neck. He’s saying “I want you.” 
2) She’s taken aback. Pay attention to the way she moves her mouth and body. It’s so sensual. 
3) He eases in with a peck.

4) The look on his face says it all. He wants her badly! 
5) The way she looks at him says she’s nervous but knows what’s coming. Like, “oh shiz, I teased him and now he’s going for it.”

6) He’s staring mostly at her lips when he’s speaking to her. 
7) He goes in for a full on passionate kiss. Ahhh the lip and jaw movement! Sexy as hell! 
8) He pulls back, his stare goes from her lips to her eyes and back to her lips, he touches her lips, meets her eyes, gulps and then goes in for another kiss. 
9) Even as the camera pulls away for a far away shot, there’s still head movement. It looks too real to be fake. Me thinks they’re still kissing.

10) His body completely relaxes and you can see it sink onto hers. 

SEXUAL TENSION AT ITS BEST! From a minoz’s point of view, this is the best and most sensual kiss he’s done. It tops even the lobster kiss. The lobster kiss was sweet but this one has sexual tension written all over it. I’ve never seen a Korean drama couple that’s rather innocent had this much sexual chemistry! It’s out of the sbs korean drama world. I can’t get enough! 

After reading this, I watched the bed scene for a few times and also the gifs. I have to agree with you. It did not show much but it was enough for sensual kiss

I was laughing when he turned away as JTE pushed back the top of her shirt for him to look at her shoulder. He berated her and she said "What's the issue? You see that much is summer when I am in a sleeveless tee shirt :D. He is already aroused and this is making it harder for him to hold back! Guffaw! I find that scene funny.

• Like 5
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, AgentQuake said:

makes you wonder how often stuff like this happens

i mean, three bloodbaths in one night and all the public cares about is stalking the new queen

Considering the people killed were traitors to the king,  and had committed treason, the people probably didn't care. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

The neck part of course. It’s so sensual. And kge’s reaction. It was so real. She felt the chills down her spine. 

I meant to say JTE.

Not really. I totally meant kge. 

Of course, count on me to unlurk only when someone talks about the kiss :lol::lol::lol:

@Heretorant My dear, yes, neck. But that's not how you do sensual. I was expecting this: 

He trailed his finger along her throat, and leaned closer to smell and nuzzled her neck. JTE gasped in surprise and let her head fall back exposing her throat to him, and savoring the warmth of his touch. LG slipped his hand under her hair and held her neck, his lips brushing hers as he spoke, “Do you remember the first time we kissed?”

I expected it to be heat burning slow kiss that took more than 3 minutes. Not a peck on neck and another peck on lips and a less than 2 second deep kiss that we couldn't see well. They might be making baby LG in there alright. But the foreplay just wasn't what it was promised.  Where is the fatal lethal part? I wasn't dead, my mouth didn't drop, my heart wasn't pounding fast. It's all the leaked stills' fault. My expectation was built up too high. :joy:

• Like 4
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 11

39 minutes ago, Wis dom said:

I am mostly very genre based guy who mostly watches gore and violence. Just my hobby I love action based movies and series but I was drawn to this by the hype so I jumped on the wagon found myself a very interesting series now that being said. I wanna addresse TKEM objectively about it's international performance. 

Mainly on the western streaming platforms or even movies are tracked differently compared to other places. Example before a movie drops the production team and long range trackers have some sort of picture how it will perform weeks before and on the last week they have close range forecast and the same goes to tv-shows example ''Witcher'' premiered Last christmas and Netflix chose to announce another season for it before the first one aired 1-2 weeks? The question is why because they tracked it and knew how massive the ''Take off'' was gonna be and what they mostly look for is the ''Take off'' both in Tv-shows and Movies. What dose it mean having major take off it means massive trending on social media and it's hot topic all over the world and by this indiction they will know that the take off is gonna be massive and once the take off is massive the Tv-show succeeds by default and same with movies the opening weekend is the most important thing once the opening weekend is massive then it will grab the remaining cash slowly but surely. Mostly they can tell whether a show or movie is gonna flop by only it's take off. 

In TKEM case it had the typical massive International take-off for Tv-show as you mentioned it come out with major hype and made alot of noise online not only on Twitter but also in Weibo as it was trending #2 and I remember mentioning this before the week after it aired and I recall saying that this is already a major success and I was going by it's ridiculously massive take-off. 

Aside from it's take-off it has been blowing up on Netflix and dominating 20-22 markets and if you add up these markets subscriber base they reach around 40MIO subs on netflix and constantly been dominating these markets sitting 1 or 2 in most and in other areas constantly in top 10 for the last 4 weeks consistently and if you add up the rest such as the US, Latin A, or EU viewers on top of these then it increases further plus its 16 episodes that air twice a week 2 episodes and then you gotta multiple that with 16 while on the short ultra conversative forecast it could land on 50mio views for it's first 4 weeks and that's ultra conversative but in more realistic forecast that is mid-range it would land on 70mio views for it's first 4-6 weeks and probably end up at somewhere in the 80-90 mio views around october-september making it easy into the top 10 Tv-show in 2020.   It's run was unique and another question to raise Is this KES' biggest hit ever Internationally I would say definitely and by a large margin and LMH's second biggest. 

So we have another male, welcome! 

You must be smiling like @Gariyadaas we assumed you were female as well :D. Glad you find it interesting and @syntyche explanation of LG's formulas. I found that fascinating, parallel universes . What does MIO stand for? Are you in the business?  How do you know so much? We have a lot of experts in the forum. Is BOF LMH's second largest?  How did it do in Netflix?  It has been on for ages. If King gets to the top 10 TV shows for 2020, will it be the first South Korean drama to reach this marker or have there been others in the past? 

• Like 8
  • LOL 2