[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

There is a balance that must be kept so that the two worlds won't freeze in time, ending existance.  We know that the balance has been upset but my question is why? It can't be because people are going between the two worlds. Lady Noh is from ROK and came a long time ago ( in the early 1950’s) She does not have the lighting strike scars. JTE doesn’t have the scars ethier. It can’t be because of the number of times one goes between because I don’t think the Prime Minister has gone more than a few times yet she has the scars.. She didn’t seem to know who LR was before her mother met him and told her that he looked like the King’s Uncle. So her collaboration with him is not long standing.  If it’s just the bad guys then why does the King have the lighting strike scars?  Something important is missing. We have all the clues but we are missing some small important fact. Yoyo child said that the balance is off. But what is out of balance? Is it because LR took too many people to the other side? Or is it that to keep the world in balance each world needs to have a counterpart in the other world.  Like a scale a few missing counters don’t matter but there is a tipping point that we have reached. LR has killed a lot of people. The place where they took JTE in KOC was a place of death where lots of people were killed. We know this because of the spray that they used on the wall of the warehouse. It’s the type of spray that when you shine black light on the sprayed surface blood stains will show up. A lot of blood was spilled in that place, maybe too much. All these things are true but still something is missing. Shutting down the between will not solve the problem if  it’s just numbers that are out of balance. There is an old saying that when you have eliminated all the possibles then what remains no matter how impossible is the answer. So here is my impossible. Evil has taken over and everything is now out of balance. The only way to restore balance is not to close “the between'' but to respect what must be done.The legend from 682 said that the flute has magic powers that can restore balance to the worlds. “When the flute is played enemies would retreat, diseases would be cured,the rain would fall during drought, the rainy season would end, the wind would stop and the strong waves would subside. Every 20 year the flute would be revealed and at that time should things be out of balance the one whom fate had called to the flute can use its power to restore balance and defeat evil. The king’s father knew of the legend but did not act on it. Instead his brother tried to seize the power of the flute. In doing so the flute broke and the world was thrown out of balance. Yoyo child said “I am trying to restore balance. There are too many enemies.” That is why Yoyo child has tied JTE and the King together in fate. The king with JTE’s help is called  to gain the other half of the flute, join it together and play it so that the legion can be fulfilled. Saving both worlds is not about closing down anything but about joining together two pieces of what was broken to restore peace and balance. How's that for a metaphor on life. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 10

Okay, how would LG's doppleganger's mom know how they are all getting scars? 

Also, I guess this episode confirms that PM Koo was in the ROK, but what happened between the time she found out that Lee Rim was alive and when she was spotted at the cafe. Was the girl with the glasses that JTE spotted on the street her doppleganger, or was it her all along. What has happened to her doppleganger.

It seems JTE is not getting the scars. At least not yet. 

Also, Mrs. Noh is from the ROK and came to KOC during the Korean War???? WHHHHAAAAT?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kdramatic said:

Do you guys think LL broke the flute into many pieces? When Luna went into his apartment, there were multiple umbrellas in the umbrella stand.

I got Horcrux-vibe when I saw that! 

If LR did that, am imagining it would be harder for the flute to be restored to properly work.

10 hours ago, AgentQuake said:

My take on the church scene is - he had just spent the worst couple weeks of his life since the treason.  Buyeong died, Lady Noh was sick, he didn't have Yeong with him, Eunsup was hurt, and then everything happened with JTE.  He finally gets a win, and it's a MASSIVE win.  She's safe and healthy again and happily with him this time.  We have to remember that less than 48 hours ago, he was having a breakdown in the kitchen.  So he's completely giddy when everything is perfect the next day.  I was thinking about how he always daydreams of having her at the palace, and he was probably over the moon that she was happily there, moving into his bedroom and closet and basically making it home now, instead of him having to sneak around the palace while she pulled guns on him like last time.

And then time stopped during a moment where they were truly progressing their relationship by making it public and real in his world.  And he's reminded that he only has a few visits with her left, and needs to shut the door down.  So all of the despair and anger and hopelessness from the past few weeks all came back and he got snapped out of his happy world and the rude awakening came.  He's still in the middle of a war.

I like your explanation!

So my next question is.. why is LG and LR not affected by the time freeze?

@mrsj3n Because they have the flute

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

48 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

@plappi @ms_inquiry

It had nothing to do with WHO killed WHO.  It is NOT a punishment for the killer doppelganger. 

It is all about balance.  Remember what the Yoyo Kid said "I am trying to restore balance"

Murder is against nature cos it s not yet time for the murdered doppelganger to leave their world.

That's why there is an imbalance

The scar is a consequence or manifestation of such imbalance.

Sorry to cut you short. Just wanted to say that I agree with you :D, and that is what I wrote: That the scars are manifestations of the imbalance, felt by the doppelgangers because (as we have been shown) the doppelgangers are connected - not because they are responsible :)  Extract from my previous post below:

"I believe that it is the doppelgangers of those that have been murdered by world crossers that are experiencing the scars. However isn't that unfair, as people have pointed out (LG importantly didn't kill his doppelganger)? So how does that make sense? Because their deaths have all upset the balance of the universes, which is what is felt by their living doppelganger - no matter if they are responsible or not. It is not only the why but also the what behind the painful scars. We have seen that the doppelgangers are somewhat connected, we were reminded of this fact through Na-ri's doppelganger in this episode."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kboramint said:

Okay, how would LG's doppleganger's mom know how they are all getting scars? 

Also, I guess this episode confirms that PM Koo was in the ROK, but what happened between the time she found out that Lee Rim was alive and when she was spotted at the cafe. Was the girl with the glasses that JTE spotted on the street her doppleganger, or was it her all along. What has happened to her doppleganger.

It seems JTE is not getting the scars. At least not yet. 

Also, Mrs. Noh is from the ROK and came to KOC during the Korean War???? WHHHHAAAAT?

Yes she has probably known someone who used the flute 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

cus it was HOT AF.

but I would like to know as well lol 

i thought maybe he wanted to discard the evidence but then drama king YEETED it far away

poor game of thrones sub captain probably had to go searching for it after the dramatic monarchs flounced off 

also is there an in universe reason as to why dramatic smoke was EVERYWHERE? 

I saw the scene being filmed and so how they created the smoke thought that was somewhat slick

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mrsj3n said:

Oh my bad. I thought you meant the Royal Guards. Sorry!

I must be sleepy. Lol

@briseis if they didn't pan out and show us to the door... that will really be scandalous!!:joy:

But yes.. that kiss... gotta love it! 

Lmao. If they showed everything we would have been amongst the dead hahah

• LOL 4

Maybe the balance is off because he broke the flute in half?  Because the legend of Mansisirorpejfjk has lasted for centuries, and if people were crossing before, then the numbers happening now are off.  

Or maybe because there are two users?  Prior to 2019, only one person who possessed the flute used it.  So now the balance is off and fate is punishing those who use it?

• Like 5
  • Insightful 5

1 minute ago, AgentQuake said:

Maybe the balance is off because he broke the flute in half?  Because the legend of Mansisirorpejfjk has lasted for centuries, and if people were crossing before, then the numbers happening now are off.  

Or maybe because there are two users?  Prior to 2019, only one person who possessed the flute used it.  So now the balance is off and fate is punishing those who use it?

Well Before the Activation of Entire Flute even Time Freeze never happened , so technically Thundering was also activated after that as well.

OR

We never saw the people in LR 's minion Team facing any Scar or NEARBY LG to determine if they Got punished Before The Flute Time freeze activation or not to decipher. IT always would have happened, we just get to see it now because we are in LG's timeline.FATE always would have punished the Sinners, AGAIN LG Is not getting PUNISHED, rather WARNED and ASKED TO RESTORE BALANCE.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2

Just now, AgentQuake said:

Then I guess the end result is to either destroy the flute or try to put them back together again. What I want to know is how did Lady Noh come to the KOC? If she was born in in 1932 and came to KOC before the Korean War ended then she would be in her late teens.   

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Heilo said:

Yes she has probably known someone who used the flute 

@kboramint @Heilo LR was talking about the CUTS On Ji-Hoon's Mom hand due to suicide attempts which have now been developed as Scars, he was not Referring to Thundering Fate Punishment Scars.Hope that explains.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kboramint said:

Then I guess the end result is to either destroy the flute or try to put them back together again. What I want to know is how did Lady Noh come to the KOC? If she was born in in 1932 and came to KOC before the Korean War ended then she would be in her late teens.   

17 is when she last saw them.

My theory is that she was the concubine who gave birth to Lee Rim, but that theory also hurts my head haha.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

15 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

I like this pic the most...

YES!  So bittersweet and romantic, but it's like the bloodied, injured warrior king and queen after battle too.  Like if she hasn't shown time and again why she's his match and equal, this ep illustrated it yet again.  They were both going through it (and came out the other side) this ep.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, madmad min said:

@kboramint @Heilo LR was talking about the CUTS On Ji-Hoon's Mom hand due to suicide attempts which have now been developed as Scars, he was not Referring to Thundering Fate Punishment Scars.Hope that explains.

Oh right. Thanks you for answering. That makes sense now. 

• Like 3