[Drama 2019] Hotel Del Luna, 호텔 델루나

marykarmelina

2 hours ago, annamchoi said:

got confused is iu's character been cursed? I mean why become a hotel owner when  she is still alive? a warrior in the past isnt she?

Thanks!

@vangsweetie637 Thanks for the warm welcome.:)

Aww no problem chingu! I hope you will enjoy this thread and discuss with us too as episodes keep coming!

as for IU’s character (Man Wol), she is cursed to be the owner of HDL. Although it wasn’t directly given to us, we are shown through the beginning scene that she had killed many people and perhaps due to that, buried herself in self pity and arrogance (mentioned by the old lady) hence she was able to locate the place because she is technically ‘dead’ inside. It explains why she mentions that she isn’t dead but she isn’t alive either. She is just existing. The hotel is the passageway for the dead souls to come to or to complete what they couldn’t fulfill as humans. MW is technically already dead (physically or mentally) so her sin allowed the place to open up to her in the name of death and dying. Also, remember that she did offer her life to find this place so when she found it, the tree sucked in her sword. I think it was @nrllee that mentioned that sword scene stained with her blood symbolized an offering and the tree literally accepted it thus making her the new owner and cursing her to keep on living (proof of this is through the pictures in her office). We still don’t know exactly her occupation during the times when she was alive although we can easily see she has amazing killing skills and swordsmanship that carried on throughout with her (the soldier scene in ep 2)

@Ameera Ali @sadthe1st I thought i was the only one who saw “grandson” being subbed. I thought it was strange then initially thought it meant to be ‘grandchild’ i was like either im seeing things or whoever is subbing it didn’t realize we will catch the word ’ :joy: 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Insightful 1

I still haven’t watched Ep 2. No time. Will try to carve some out tonight. MW strikes me as someone who has lost her will to live.  So she’s just kinda existing...wandering the world with a coffin full of possessions (treasured memories?).  The old lady takes the treasured memories and says something strange, “let’s find you a nice comfortable place”...or something to that effect.  It’s like she’s safekeeping them in the meantime until MW wants them back again?  Anyway despite looking after the lost souls and consoling them, (MW has had to process plenty surely), she still hasn’t found anything that’s struck her hard enough rekindle her desire to live?  She has accumulated a lot of “things” - garage full of fancy cars, gorgeous clothes, eats the best food, but nothing so far has breathed life back into that “dead” soul of hers.  Instead, she gets crankier, more eccentric and unpredictable as her dissatisfaction with her lot in life spills over to her existing ‘life’.  She’s looking for meaning in life and failing to find it.  Enter clueless and hapless GCS who she treats as her personal “toy” and new “play thing” to keep ‘life’ interesting.  He surprises her...by coming back to ‘save her’ in Ep1.  Kindness has a way of thawing out the most bitter of hearts.  I think he’s worked his way into hers :lol:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Lee Jieun maybe looks soft & petite in posture hence no one's could denied how she acting her heart out made all the fighting scene sounds easy  and beautiful  looks like she is been mastered  martial arts ever since.

Let's be steady and increases in quality,acting, storytelling and ratings HDL team..fighting :thumbsup:

IMG-20190716-144054.png

• Like 4

when the soul lost love, they find solace in material things.. maybe when her lover was killed, all she could do was kill and steal to fill in the emptiness.. coffin of treasures probably each item represents every life she killed along the way while she seeks for the hotel..

in the preview she touched his chest n felt the heartbeat which she hasnt sensed for a millennium.. haha “its all coming back to me now..!” - by celine dion :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

20 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

There are gods in this drama and Man Wol is a leader of a thief gang. This have already been detail in the official character description by tvN. This is why she have loot in the coffin cause she is a thief. I believe I've post this here before.

Ahhh. That makes sense then. I haven’t had the chance to read earlier posts.  Thank you for that tidbit.  Makes sense then about why the soldiers were after her.  She was on the wrong side of the law.  Just watched Ep 2, she’s definitely thawing out.  And CS is warming to her plight too.  He gets her - that she’s hollow and soulless...like the Tiger.  I think he pities her (he’s always been kind).  And he ultimately finds purpose in delivering the girl with gouged eyes to the Hotel, telling her that she has eyes to see.  Just as Manager Noh tells him, it’s meaningful work and that’s why he stayed for 30 years.  I am still not entirely convinced about the reincarnation theory (that CS is somehow the reincarnated lover that she had long ago).  Preview shows that he has set her time clock ticking again so she’s becoming human.  The tree is like her second self.  CS’s dad is a thief too :lol:.  But he’s thieving for the “right” (?) reasons?  To support his son?  I am not sure I agree with this rationale (why not just get a job?) but I will let it slide.  She busts him with the golden snake...even though he didn’t actually steal it...I guess he thought about it?  The tree shows him compassion by blooming for him (CS likes flowers), she does the same by giving him his life back (howbeit by trading his son).  I have yet to pick up any OCD traits in CS though.  He doesn’t strike me as a person with OCD (yet).

Has all the elements of a Carrollian (Lewis Carroll Alice in Wonderland) fantasy.  Weird strange quirky people.  Supernatural stuff.  Cantankerous Queen of Hearts MW (Off with his/her head :lol:).  We’ve been transported down the rabbit hole.  Strapped in for a helluva ride.  :P

• LOL 3
  • Insightful 1

I think there is a dead person in that box. Possibly one of two guys who had a connection with ManWol and possibly the reincarnation of ChanSeong. I saw few drama scenes  before of someone pouring wine on  a grave of the person they cared or loved.

Even though the scene in episode 1 that MaGo seems she was looking at treasure loot, I think she was actually looking at the dead person and she's talking that person inside of that box when she mentioned about "bringing to a comfortable place".

Since MaGo's  incharge of life and death, it's possible she's bringing the soul of that dead person in that box to paradise so that  soul can reincarnate in next life.

Along with MaGo, the fireflies are with her. I read somewhere that firefly can represent/symbolize soul of a dead person (especially dead fighters/warriors).

It could also mean that the dead person inside is from MooJu/MuJu  or died on that place. I also read that  MooJu is a county in North Jeolla province in Korea and its environment is a habitat for fireflies. It is known for its Muju Firefly Festival and a popular tourism area.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

7 hours ago, angelangie said:

why couldnt they have ManWol have the whole stretch of cars in red? :D heheheh i only see 2 red cars :D 

Generally, red is not associated with love or destiny? It's funny that she chose precisely that car while she was with Chan Sung :D

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, angelangie said:

btw did any of you cry?

YES. I've only known Manager Noh for a couple of episodes, and they didn't even give us his whole backstory, but I bawled like a baby when he said goodbye in front of the tree. :tears: I think the last time I cried like that because of a TV show or movie was during Because This Is Our First Life, when Ji Ho read her mother's note to Se Hee before her wedding. :D Major props to actor Jung Dong Hwan! He completely had me in my feels. (I cried more for him than for Man Wol btw).

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, angelangie said:

i cried for both......

for him because he was wondering will ManWol miss him and how will she fare without him.....

for ManWol because she again had to stand and watch someone she came to care for leave her all alone there

Yeah, on Man Wol's side it's pretty tough too. I guess I was just more taken by Manager Noh's acting---his eyes are so expressive!--although IU did a good job as well, especially when she clutched at his sleeve and said she couldn't even say "see you again," but she was relatively stoic-looking. :) I'm glad I was watching alone at the time, because the waterworks I had going was quite...severe for just something on TV. :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1