[Drama 2019] Hotel Del Luna, 호텔 델루나

marykarmelina

6 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I like the "Moon" connection with IU~

From Scarlet Heart Moon Lovers to the Grand Hotel of the Full Moon ahahah. 

Interesting... what about her "Dear Moon" song in the previous drama? :blush:

6 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Wow! What a premiere! I love it!

@Yongzura hi chingu! So happy that we will be watching this drama together ;)

Yes, I miss the active discussion in a drama thread and I can feel we are going to have lots of interesting thing here... 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Dramanoona said:

That was an utterly cool scene. 

When she saved him from the soldier ghost.

PS. Could he be the reincarnation of her past love?

I hope the writer didn't go in this cliche route, even the reincarnation is universal idea to write /easy way to pulling the connection . It would be good when the writer gives the viewers such big twist in solid ground thou.

I agree the actions scene in HDL is so flawless the choreography is awesome and the best thing Jieuni act like a pro, how she twirl the weapons she used between her fingers  the powers she put to stabbed is so convincing..

Talk about the horrors scene said the truth i got cramps in my stomach at each scene the ghosts  appears  it's not because afraid or so,  it's just kind feelings between thrilling and funny seeing GCS reactions :D.

And oh may...i love the way ManWol mocking CS:) they has balances chemistry in weird way.

The scene Manwol send off the father manager is so heartbreaking :bawling:

• Like 5

Another nitpick tonight episode is JMW scene to freed the Tiger soul :cry:

felt soft to our Presidentnim

IMG-20190714-225618.jpg

each creatures has their own good contributions to  earth

be respect and put them into environment their belong to is the act of humankind.

Spoiler

This scene remind me to Ang lee film "life of pi":cry:

HDL is far beyond in topics and concept 

:heart:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Yana Mujay said:

The scene Manwol send off the father manager is so heartbreaking :bawling:

cant wait for the eng subs to come out.. i hate having to guess from the raw ep :tears:

the trick of twirling the hair stick.. reminds me of the way drummers will twirl the sticks and sometimes toss up and catch them again to continue the drummings :lol: its definitely a cool stunt!

and thanks for sharing the fullmoon.long IG i went to follow that too hahaha

• Like 6

5 hours ago, juju84 said:

So looks like this is the first Hong dorama without the love-line or romance? Since there is non in the drama genres or the relationship diagram. Such a pity:( I mean it would be a total waste of their potential as a pair!

IU and Jin Goo have such an awesome chemistry:wub:

i think fairly obvious that jingo is reincarnation of the man in flashback before IU died..

it really looks like that she killed people in name of revenge for the young man.. and the tree bore the flower because finally her love appeared in the mortal world.. and it is time for her to pay for her sins and move onto the afterworld which she has been denied till date

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

Loving this! Especially the reverse Beauty and the Beast vibe***... the aesthetics are everything... and the mythology so far is on point without making things complicated by trying to explain her magic.

***(by that I mean enchanted human caught up with enough angst and super powers who is then slowly opened up by an honest and brave human... plus the bringing a flower to my child deal is there as well)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

i think fairly obvious that jingo is reincarnation of the man in flashback before IU died..

it really looks like that she killed people in name of revenge for the young man.. and the tree bore the flower because finally her love appeared in the mortal world.. and it is time for her to pay for her sins and move onto the afterworld which she has been denied till date

Hmm, the one thing that korean dramas taught me is that there is no such thing as fairly obvious.

It's common for the reincarnation to share the same face with the actual human. The exception was in *Mama Fairy*. But who knows... For me it's too obvious for GCS to be her lost lover wich makes it most improbable.

Besides we know there were two men beside her. I guess one was her lover and the other probably betrayed them. So if GCS is indeed reincarnation it's still open for discussion which one of the two he is.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ponderings said:

Can you expand on the Rumpelstiltskin similarity? I don't know too much about it.

Rumpelstiltskin is a Grimm’s Brothers Tale.  Their tales always have a bit of creepiness about them eg Hansel and Gretel.  Anyway in a nutshell, there’s a girl who is trapped by a King because her father :blink: stupidly boasts that his daughter’s straw blonde hair turns to gold when the sun strikes it.  Anyway, king locks her away because he believes that she can spin straw (spinning wheel) into gold (don’t ask me how he jumped to that conclusion :lol:).  He gives her an option to spin the straw he provides into gold or has her head cut off (not much of a choice if you ask me).  Anyway this weird creature appears (Rumplestiltskin) and he does it for her, every time asking for something of hers in return (necklace, ring). Finally he asks for her first child as payment when she has nothing left to give.  She makes this promise, ends up marrying the King (talk about toxic relationship :crazy:).  Her first child is born and R returns for the child.  She refuses to surrender him.  He gives her 3 days (some versions have 3 chances) to guess his name after which he will take the child.  She sends a servant to spy on R.  Servant sees him dancing around a fire singing a song which bears his name, informs the Queen...and she reveals it to R when he appears to her the next day... and he chucks a tantrum... and disappears from her life.

So yes there are parallels and the creepy vibe for Grimm’s Tales is a suitable match for HDL.

• Like 5

I wonder if the Grandpa Manager fell in love with IU when he was younger. This is just a theory on the ending of this drama but I think  Jin Goo will find a way to free IU from the hotel and she'll become mortal. Hence, she will finally be able to grow old. Possibly with Jin Goo?  

• Like 2

Hi everyone.....loving the show....Hong Sisters finally found their mojo back, it seems. Great start and wonderful plot progression. I think that Jin Goo is somehow connected to IU's past life. As cliche as it is, within the setting, reincarnated past lover makes sense to me. I also have a theory. IU is frozen in time. She neither ages nor dies while time flows by as her punishment. What if her clock starts ticking thanks to Jin Goo. But what if it means Jin Goo's clock will run out for hers to start again. So she will live but for that his clock will have to stop ticking. In the preview, the tree is coming to life again. I love IU here to bits by the way. I love flawed heroines....coming fresh from having admired Yeon Seo in ALML thread. So, lets hope she keeps being badass till the very end. Also it seems to me that Hotel Luna is a post that gets handed over. IU inherited that from the old lady so who will inherit it next.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

That was an utterly cool scene. 

When she saved him from the soldier ghost.

PS. Could he be the reincarnation of her past love?

I am really hoping the writers do not take the reincarnation route. However, if they do, I am hoping they do it in a unique way which will stay true to this story's unique plot. The last thing I want is cliche, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. Judging from the preview, it can take both ways. He could be having dreams of her due to a connection of her possibly feeling love again after such a long time, or he could actually be the reincarnation. 

2 hours ago, kboramint said:

I wonder if the Grandpa Manager fell in love with IU when he was younger. This is just a theory on the ending of this drama but I think  Jin Goo will find a way to free IU from the hotel and she'll become mortal. Hence, she will finally be able to grow old. Possibly with Jin Goo?  

I don't think Grandpa Manager fell in love with Man Wol character. From his story, I think he worked for her to make up for something in his past. I do think that since he was the only human at the hotel, he took a very strong connection to her. As he said in his final goodbye to her (which I literally teared up), she was his sister, daughter and grandchild. To him, she was his family, all that he had left. 

11 hours ago, juju84 said:

So looks like this is the first Hong dorama without the love-line or romance? Since there is non in the drama genres or the relationship diagram. Such a pity:( I mean it would be a total waste of their potential as a pair!

IU and Jin Goo have such an awesome chemistry:wub:

Sometimes, the diagram is not accurate. I actually think there will be a love/romance between the characters here. As we can see, it is already beginning to develop. You are right. Their chemistry is awesome! Also, I don't think I have ever watched a Hong drama without romance. They are pretty well diverse in their genres and do a good job incorporating it into the story. Hence, I am sure we are not going to miss the romance out of these characters in this one ;)

11 hours ago, Yongzura said:

Yes, I miss the active discussion in a drama thread and I can feel we are going to have lots of interesting thing here... 

I agree! Definitely a lot of things to discuss here. I love discussing elements when I am hooked onto a drama :D 

6 hours ago, ponderings said:

Hi @Latte_Anyday chingu! Glad you caught onto the Beauty and the Beast similarities, too! Can you expand on the Rumpelstiltskin similarity? I don't know too much about it.

PS Love that it says Hakuna Matata under your name. The Disney vibes are getting to me! 

I definitely got the Beauty and the Beast vibes from the scene of when CS's father took the flower. However, I am trying to see what is the similarities of Rumpelstiltskin. In that particular story, the queen must discover the name of the creature who helped her in completing three tasks for the king. If she fails, he will claim her first born. I don't see this portion of the story connected to this drama. So I am thinking that if there's any connection, it may be that CS has to discover why she is the owner of the hotel in the first place (as the workers mentioned that he doesn't know why in the first place) but perhaps in doing so, he will unknowingly help her complete tasks she did not get to do when she was alive. (which may tie in the Rumpelstiltskin connection of him helping the queen complete her tasks).

I am really enjoying this drama! Man Wol's personality is quite unique. We all can see that she killed a lot of people in the past (perhaps as revenge for her killed lover) and must live to atone for her sins. She is not alive nor dead, like the tree that blooms neither flowers or leaves (but is still alive as well). It represents Man Wol's own soul and I think the tree's growth of life is definitely connected to CS (since the flower grew when his father picked the flower). Also remember, the tree sucked Man Wol's sword into it. That sword is the weapon of her sin.

Definitely love the scene when she saves him from the soldier. So bad a$$ :P

And did anyone notice that the woman carrying the flowers is actually the same woman who guided Man Wol to the hotel in the first place? I wonder exactly who she is. Is she a god or a ghost too? Hmm...

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Haven’t watched Ep 2 yet but thoughts from Ep 1

- love the Moonlight Sonata piano piece as an introduction playing in the background

- the dead Tree - takes her offering - swallows up her sword with her blood - she was willing to pay for the dead with her life so the tree grants her that wish, imprisoning her as recompense for 1000 years.  As the old lady said, you can’t just kill yourself and think that it will be enough to pay for the lives you’ve taken.  Dead tree started to bloom (show signs of life) when GCS’s dad appeared in the Hotel.

Questions raised

- JMW seems to be a doorkeeper of sorts.  Dead souls who find their way to HDL have to get by her to the afterlife?  

1. As evidenced by her dialogue with the policewoman who drowned.  She seemed to have awarded the mayor (?) the same gift to see dead souls which is why the scene in the hall played out like it did.  And hence why he could see her later on with GCS at the restaurant.  Here’s where I have a problem.  There seems to be a different state that the mayor and GCS are in as opposed to JMW.  She is invisible to humans?  Or can she appear and disappear when she feels like it?  The old woman could be seen by JMW who wasn’t dead or perhaps was gifted with the sight then?  GCS and the mayor who were gifted with this sight are obviously still visible to the living (taxi driver and everyone else in the hall).

2. She gave GCS’s father his life back.  He was dead on the hospital table.  She sent him back to the land of the living with a price to pay.  She seemed to send the mayor straight to the afterlife by impaling him with the stake.

3. Which explains why some of the other staff seem so terrified of her.  They don’t really want to go to the afterlife?  To be rebirthed as something else less than savory?  Probably because they haven’t been particularly “good” in their past life.  So they want to stay in the Hotel (the in between).

4. Coffin doesn’t contain a body.  It has assortment of things? Cups, trinkets, blood stained weapons?

- how does the managerial role get passed down?  Old lady to JMW?  What are the conditions?  From the character synopsis it sounds like the existing manager needs to find someone who has committed sins far worse than her/his own before that handover takes effect?  So in these past 1000 years JMW hasn’t found someone like that as she vets the wandering souls through to the afterlife?  I would hardly think that GCS would qualify then?  Man doesn’t look like he could hurt a fly.  Or perhaps it has to do with a willing sacrifice?  Sins + repentance (a willingness to die as payment for sins past).  That’s what JMW possessed when the position was handed down to her.

- why was she looking for the Guest House of Dead Souls?  She said she was looking for a Guest House that consoled the souls of the dead.  The old lady said only dead people can go there.  Figuratively I think JMW was already “dead” to this world.  The old lady had said she seemed to have been wandering aimlessly for a long time now.  She didn’t want to live anymore.  She chose to be there.  GCS also unbeknownst to him chose to be there.  Remember how she gave him a choice to leave when she was stabbed in the street?  He came back. :lol:  Inadvertently signing on the dotted line.

I guess more will be revealed in coming episodes.  The drama shows promise.  :)

EDIT - Trivia -  Evening Primroses are used to decorate altars for Moon ceremonies (occult diary).  Flowers are also only supposed to open in the evening. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1