[Drama 2019] My Prettiest Daughter In The World/ Mother of Mine, 세상에서 제일 예쁜 내 딸

larus

3 hours ago, larus said:

still can`t believe that it will be a problem for Hansung Group when the news will broke but that`s what the writer want us to believe. Some people will talk for a while and that`s it.

Back to our old question, what's wrong with MR being the daughter of IS and TJ the person she raised? Maybe someone who knows Korea or Koreans could explain the ramifications of this relationship.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, maribella said:

Back to our old question, what's wrong with MR being the daughter of IS and TJ the person she raised? Maybe someone who knows Korea or Koreans could explain the ramifications of this relationship.

It is the best conflict that the writer found. :lol: In my book, it doesn`t matter much. Maybe the press found this a good news, gossip type. I did not take it serious so, IMO,  it was a weakness of this show.

I don`t feel like commenting about today`s episode, except that Sun Ja is still fierce even when she is dying. The fire daggger she showed with her eyes to the chairman was worth it.

Group pictures.

I think it was the last day of filming in that studio

Some people took pictures with Kang Sung Yeon after a shooting in the park.

2 hours ago, maribella said:

I found this usual in Korean drama. I guess they consider them as brother and sister, it is so foolish 

another thing, a sister can't marry her brother-in-law  too (as in Home for Summer)

anyway, I came to comment on SJ, she is worried about her daughters even as she is dying, poor soul :( she is so selfless till the end

9 minutes ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I found this usual in Korean drama. I guess they consider them as brother and sister, it is so foolish 

another thing, a sister can't marry her brother-in-law  too (as in Home for Summer)

anyway, I came to comment on SJ, she is worried about her daughters even as she is dying, poor soul :( she is so selfless till the end

In my view, it is not MR and TJ  problem. They are not biological related at all and therefore there is no issue.

It is more MR and IS relationship. HangsungApparel being public listed, there is a moral obligation to declare mother-daughter relationship, otherwise it is as if they are deceiving the Board. As to legal obligation I am not sure. 

2 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Way too much melo now I hate how drama become like this.

2 hours ago, lu09 said:

Me too. I dropped it and I'm just looking at the posts sometimes. It was really good in the beginning:(.

I can't drop it, I am crying for poor SJ :bawling: I really loved her, she had a big heart for everyone 

I like melodrama sometimes 

But comedy is far better 

I am not watching this week's episodes. But nobody is even commenting on Sunday's episode. Lol.

It used to be that Koreans can't legally marry someone even from the same clan. So marrying someone from the same family is a no no even now. I am talking about one side of one family marrying another side of the same family. In this instance I guess it's the nephew marrying the aunt's daughter. Ranking wise it's not so bad- if MR is in IS family register- It's only sachon vs stepparents children marrying. It's the ranking it messes up the hierarchy- according to their culture. Like my kids- I have cousins my age- are yukchon to my cousin.i am used to explaining who's who in my family to older Koreans who care about such things. The English words makes no sense to them. It's the degrees of separation- if you know your numbers- like the uncle is samchon. Anyone noticed this? I found it fascinating. I digress. But still, found it fascinating. TJ is MR's sachon or to Koreans wae sachon nam dongsaeng. She therefore married her younger cousin; and it sounds so related in Korean vs using cousins. I am not that hidebound but since my family is huge am used to keep tracking of ranks and what to call each person correctly- there is a Chinese equivalent- of ranks.

I will be back next weekend I guess to read what is happening.

Ah I see.  The plot doesn't involve me so much anymore that I watch it when I can. I haven't been watching with subs for awhile. I just glaze over when IS or the Chairman whines or cries. Depending on who it is. MS needs to grow up. All I hear is her tone when I listen to her. She is a mother and she sounds so put upon. It she she is a college graduate why is the writer making it a great deal of a career as a customer service officer. That's what they call a bank teller now right? Not a loan officer. Or a branch manager. It's not as if she is ambigious. Hire a nanny and work overtime. She got a helper but she was doing personal stuff in her free time instead. It's not as if she was studying etc for promotion.

4 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

It used to be that Koreans can't legally marry someone even from the same clan. So marrying someone from the same family is a no no even now. I am talking about one side of one family marrying another side of the same family. In this instance I guess it's the nephew marrying the aunt's daughter. Ranking wise it's not so bad- if MR is in IS family register- It's only sachon vs stepparents children marrying. It's the ranking it messes up the hierarchy- according to their culture. .........

Thanks ck10z for the detailed explanation. Yes, MR and TJ are cousins (father side). There are Chinese and Korean terms to differentiate father side-cousins from mother-side cousins, but not English.

In Chinese culture, marriage for cousins (father side) is not allowed. Guess it is the same for Korean culture. In this instance because they are step cousins it is ok but perhaps awkward to be accepted.

In last nite's (and next week's I guess) episodes, everything comes to a crunch to create the dramatic effect that the PD/writer want. A bit overdone, but like it or not, that's the way it is done in many k-dramas.

Side-track, has anyone watched Falling for Innocence (2015)? I just finished the 16-episodes. It is light, and warm. Enjoyable. KSY was really sweet in this drama.

The thing is 

6 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

I am not watching this week's episodes. But nobody is even commenting on Sunday's episode. Lol.

It used to be that Koreans can't legally marry someone even from the same clan. So marrying someone from the same family is a no no even now. I am talking about one side of one family marrying another side of the same family. In this instance I guess it's the nephew marrying the aunt's daughter. Ranking wise it's not so bad- if MR is in IS family register- It's only sachon vs stepparents children marrying. It's the ranking it messes up the hierarchy- according to their culture. Like my kids- I have cousins my age- are yukchon to my cousin.i am used to explaining who's who in my family to older Koreans who care about such things. The English words makes no sense to them. It's the degrees of separation- if you know your numbers- like the uncle is samchon. Anyone noticed this? I found it fascinating. I digress. But still, found it fascinating. TJ is MR's sachon or to Koreans wae sachon nam dongsaeng. She therefore married her younger cousin; and it sounds so related in Korean vs using cousins. I am not that hidebound but since my family is huge am used to keep tracking of ranks and what to call each person correctly- there is a Chinese equivalent- of ranks.

I will be back next weekend I guess to read what is happening.

1 hour ago, melissa_lee said:

Thanks ck10z for the detailed explanation. Yes, MR and TJ are cousins (father side). There are Chinese and Korean terms to differentiate father side-cousins from mother-side cousins, but not English.

In Chinese culture, marriage for cousins (father side) is not allowed. Guess it is the same for Korean culture. In this instance because they are step cousins it is ok but perhaps awkward to be accepted.

TJ is IS nephew.

Wait, did SJ adopt MR or just changed her name?  Is MR even related to IS legally (on her registry)?

What is MR legal relationship to IS? Is she still her legally recognized mother or did she surrender parental rights.  Because it seems to me the drama always played it as if IS ties to her first husband family was done and over.

13 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Way too much melo now I hate how drama become like this.

The scenes when the sisters were huddled together crying were over much. I cried at first, quite touching but it was over extended. More coming up from the preview.

Archived