[Drama 2019] My Prettiest Daughter In The World/ Mother of Mine, 세상에서 제일 예쁜 내 딸

larus

4 hours ago, melissa_lee said:

In last nite's (and next week's I guess) episodes, everything comes to a crunch to create the dramatic effect that the PD/writer want. A bit overdone, but like it or not, that's the way it is done in many k-dramas.

Side-track, has anyone watched Falling for Innocence (2015)? I just finished the 16-episodes. It is light, and warm. Enjoyable. KSY was really sweet in this drama.

Yup Falling for Innocence is a good one. If you like romcom, Need for Romance, also staring KSY in a noona romance is a fun one too. 

:D

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, hushhh said:

The thing is 

TJ is IS nephew.

Wait, did SJ adopt MR or just changed her name?  Is MR even related to IS legally (on her registry)?

What is MR legal relationship to IS? Is she still her legally recognized mother or did she surrender parental rights.  Because it seems to me the drama always played it as if IS ties to her first husband family was done and over.

Mi-ri is registered on Sunja's family registry as her second daughter. Mi-ri's bio father should be Park and not Kang. Also, when IS checked Miri's personal resume, she was shocked when she spotted SJ's name. IS never officially ceded parental right of Mi-ri to SJ. Anyway, this is what I think. Feel free to correct me.

1 hour ago, monalisa said:

Mi-ri is registered on Sunja's family registry as her second daughter. Mi-ri's bio father should be Park and not Kang. Also, when IS checked Miri's personal resume, she was shocked when she spotted SJ's name. IS never officially ceded parental right of Mi-ri to SJ. Anyway, this is what I think. Feel free to correct me.

Mi Ri was adopted by Sun ja. It doesn`t make sense to me to change her name if she was not adopted. Mi Ri`s birth name was Kang Seung Yeon and now is Kang Mi Ri. Mi Ri`s biological father was Kang, the younger brother of Sun Ja`s husband. Park is Sun ja`s name and the children take the father`s name.

Mi ri is related to Mi Sun and Mi Hye by blood, as they are first cousins but now they are sisters because Sun ja and her husband adopted the niece.

About Mi Ri and Tae Joo, I don`t think it should be a real issue because Mi Ri was never registed on In Sook`s second husband family register. Legally, they are not related but I can see how the press will find it interesting for the gossip news. Even I understand that some people could have a problem because of old tradition/ culture. But it is exagerated when Chairman makes such a fuss, saying that Hansung Group will go down. :lol: Really? Over this?

13 hours ago, melissa_lee said:

Side-track, has anyone watched Falling for Innocence (2015)? I just finished the 16-episodes. It is light, and warm. Enjoyable. KSY was really sweet in this drama.

Of course. Long time ago. :P Yeah, I still remember some scenes.

8 hours ago, maribella said:

The scenes when the sisters were huddled together crying were over much. I cried at first, quite touching but it was over extended. More coming up from the preview.

I just knew that it will come lots of crying scenes. But in the same time I like the scenes when everyone calms down.

It is still sad but there are real issues.

For exemple.... I thought a lot about Sun Ja`s treatment too, if they should keep doing the treatment or not. The doctor said to Mi ri that the treatment is for the family`s comfort and not the patient. He said that Sun ja doesn`t have a change to recover from it. The treatment is painful and in those moments the patient wants to die than bearing the pain for so long. The patient is exhausted, gives up hope, doesn`t want to be a burden for the family anymore. But in the same time, I understand that the family doesn`t want to give up hope. I read about cases when a patient survived a dead sentence gave by doctors. Mi Sun said that she believes in miracles, or hopes for a miracle. It is hard. It is hard for the patient, it is hard for family but they have to endure till the end. I don`t think this show will make the audience debates over euthanasia, for exemple, but they want to present the problems that occure in everyday life, when a member of the family became very ill.

I don`t believe the writer will give Sun ja a miracle, but if she survives more than three months, to see Mi Ri`s baby, to see Mi Hye`s wedding, it will be a gain.

Because the story now is depressing, I thought that maybe the writer could end Sun ja`s life quickly and not prelong it until the end of the show (with a lot of sufferering) and than make her die. But they could bring to us moving scenes, without the melodramatic being too much. I feel like crying, just thinking about Sun ja. I really wish the writer will make her go in peace, thinking that her three daughters will be alright.

I also liked when Woo Jin told Mi Hye that children take the parents for granted, they think they live forever and they don`t apreciate what they have until it is too late. 

On the funny note, Jae Bum giving Woo Jin the instruction to clean the floor. :lol:

32 minutes ago, larus said:

For exemple.... I thought a lot about Sun Ja`s treatment too, if they should keep doing the treatment or not. The doctor said to Mi ri that the treatment is for the family`s comfort and not the patient. He said that Sun ja doesn`t have a change to recover from it. The treatment is

I am with the doctor. Putting a 60 something woman with stage 4 lung cancer through chemo treatment is just to get over their guilty feelings. Miracles are just anecdotal, I wonder if the diagnosis was wrong in the first place and that is why one gets miracles. 

I wonder why they chose lung cancer. No one seems to be smoking around SJ.

22 minutes ago, maribella said:

I am with the doctor. Putting a 60 something woman with stage 4 lung cancer through chemo treatment is just to get over their guilty feelings.

Sometimes a patient is so weak physically that he/she can not survive chemotherapy.

But this is a drama and like any other fiction, the writer can make a miracle. I don`t think the writer will make a miracle like a cure but I do believe that she can prolong her life for more than three months. I really don`t know what the writer will do. There are only two weeks (4 long episodes). These are the extended episodes. She can`t start new problems and  I want the writer to resolve everything satisfactory. We`ll see.

22 minutes ago, maribella said:

I wonder why they chose lung cancer. No one seems to be smoking around SJ.

Unfortunetly, there are lots of people who get lung cancer without smoking a  cigarette in their life.

So this is my issue with the whole SJ being terminally ill trope. It messes up the rhythm of the drama. MPDITW has been following a rhythm since the drama started. We got to see the drama with MS/JS/in-laws/DB. We also got the whole drama with MH/WJ/JB, which provided lots of comic relief. Then we have our OTP and all of the angst they are up against with his crooked family, and her biological mother. Killing off SJ was just so unnecessary. At this point, that story line feels thrown in and now it is dominating everything happening with the drama right now. We are no longer getting a balance of all of the happenings in the three daughter's lives. It has just been episode after episode of them crying over SJ's illness.

The other worn out trope has been with the Chairman's wife. She has been conniving since she stepped into the picture. It's like we get it. You want ALL of the Chairman's money for yourself and your son. There has been no character development, no moving of the story line with her, just the same plotting over and over. She has been exhausted in this drama. I am disappointed because this drama started off so well, and had so much potential for an epic ending. Now, it has become predictable and it is always a bad idea to end a long drama with a really sad ending. I sincerely hope these last few episodes get better, but I am not holding my breath.

39 minutes ago, nubianlegalmind said:

. I am disappointed because this drama started off so well, and had so much potential for an epic ending. Now, it has become predictable and it is always a bad idea to end a long drama with a really sad ending. I sincerely hope these last few episodes get better, but I am not holding my breath.

I am dissapointed too. The drama had some good moments but overall, it is not what I have hoped for.

I am not struggling to watch (because there were some dramas that I struggled to watch until the end) but I am not invested emotionally either .

I also believe that it was unnecessary to make Sun ja ill. After so many episodes, frustrated, ranting about the weaknesses of the story, now they will end in a sad note. I know, I know, life goes on. The other characters will have a  happy ending.

I am so ready for the drama to finish.

I am more excited now to see the BTS pictures. :lol: I hope to see the cast and crew in the trip they will make in Vietnam.

The PD/writer tried to use this drama to reflect some real issues. Very often people diagnosed with cancer have this debate of whether to go for chemo treatment or no treatment but instead have some quality life before they finally succumb. That's why the 3 sisters have some disagreement over to continue with treatment or not. It is very real, unfortunately.

I am looking forward to the KBS awards ceremony come year-end. 

1 hour ago, monalisa said:

My father-in-law and his brother died of lung cancer and they were both non-smokers.

I knew a non-smoker who died of lung cancer too but this is a drama and some posters are always reading a message in KDs ( which I never do), they may be right there is a message. Maybe there is a message here? 

While most people disappointed with the writer to go on the story pathway for SJ's lung cancer, I have different opinion on that. I believe writer's intent is to put it a tragic way for audience to remember SJ's death is a big hit to all her daughters and that will leave a sad memory but a mindful learning lesson for all of them.

Why the writer chose the sadness path instead of happy path, few ways to look at it :

1.  A mindful learning message that related to our daily life, most people take their beloved ones for granted especially our dear mother, until they realised a big loss if their mum got severe illness or hospitalised. 

2. A new study suggests that we recall bad memories more easily and in greater details than good ones for perhaps evolutionary reasons, because negative emotions like "fear and sadness trigger" increased activity in a part of the brain linked to memories. When the memories are deepen, we will miss the person even longer, the impact for sad ending is greater than the happy ending. SJ role carries an alert function that reminds all of us that we should treasure our beloved ones when they are still alive before it is too late.

3. We tend to choose happy ending is because our life is too hectic, a lively and comic ending is most people preferred. Using sad emotional appeal (like all sisters crying scene and SJ struggling to die due to suffering in pain) is to persuade audience by connecting to their sadness that involving death .....

4. The Writer put in many familiar scenes in the last ep 50 which happened in our surrounding friends and relatives. Scenes that shown three sisters had a discussion and argument whether to put their mum for further treatment, and SJ overheard other people conversation (outside the hospital bed) arguing among themselves that who should take care of their parents and who to share the burden cost, etc. These are so real happening cases in our life.

5. An intentional role - the greatest mother (SJ), with her unconditional love to all her daughters that planned out by the writer, in order to make it more impressive in the story, she has to be in a sacrifice role, unfortunately. Unless the writer extends her life until seeing MH got married and MR gave birth.

Ask ourselves truthfully, which one will you remember the most sad ending or happy ending ? For me, i always remb the sad ending, eg. Previous Kdrama Mama (2014) acted by Song Yoon Ah and Hong Jong Hyun (who is TJ now), story also involving a dying mum and it made me crying like a baby...

The story has flaws, and I don't deny it on the draggy part, but something that can relate to us in our daily life exists, and we should be mindful and grateful on what we have now. :)

Ki Tae Young Talks About His Marriage To Eugene, Reveals How He Chose The Drama Where They Met

Sep 12, 2019
by C. Hong
9cbe8f7ce998451392708802173dfbc7.jpeg?s=
[...]

Ki Tae Young is currently acting in the drama “Mother of Mine.” Of his character, Kim Woo Jin, he said, “He’s cold on the outside but there’s a lot of inner pain. He put up a wall in order to protect himself. I liked portraying his restrained emotions.”

In his previous roles, Ki Tae Young had played romantic, well-mannered leads, and this was his first time playing a tsundere (cold on the outside, warm on the inside) character. He said, “The older ladies around me asked me why I was playing such a prickly character, but my wife said that this was my real self. When I first told her about the role, she joked, ‘You can just be like usual then.'”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1351815wpp/ki-tae-young-talks-about-his-marriage-to-eugene-reveals-how-he-chose-the-drama-where-they-met

On 9/9/2019 at 6:13 AM, ck1Oz said:

Ah I see.  The plot doesn't involve me so much anymore that I watch it when I can. I haven't been watching with subs for awhile. I just glaze over when IS or the Chairman whines or cries. Depending on who it is. MS needs to grow up. All I hear is her tone when I listen to her. She is a mother and she sounds so put upon. It she she is a college graduate why is the writer making it a great deal of a career as a customer service officer. That's what they call a bank teller now right? Not a loan officer. Or a branch manager. It's not as if she is ambigious. Hire a nanny and work overtime. She got a helper but she was doing personal stuff in her free time instead. It's not as if she was studying etc for promotion.

I didn't agree with this whole MS was wrong to stop working saga.  It is her choice.  And to me, if you can afford it, its always best if a parent is the primary carer.  Why work so  hard, even doing OT just to afford hiring a nanny to look after your child.  But not every household can survive on a single income.  That decision is for MS and her husband to make.  Whether her Mom slaved in the restaurant to send her to university is immaterial.  I know doctors and lawyers who gave up their professional career to be their kids primary carer; both men and women.  It would have been more meaningful if the writer stressed that women shouldn't necessarily be the primary carer rather than woman should go out to work and not raise their children themselves.  As if raising their own kid is something less worthy than being out in the corporate jungle.   

Last week, a good friend of mine passed away  of lung cancer.  He was only 33 years old.  he also was told he had 3 months to live but he died just slightly after a month.  He went through the usual stages - denial, anger etc.  but at the end, he said he was grateful that he was given 'notice' as he said it was important to prepare for death.  And he was very grateful he had the time to say goodbye to his family and loved ones.  I contrast his and his family dignity, love and cohesiveness as he prepared to ascend to a higher plane of existence with that of this drama and really I don't plan to watch any more scenes of this in this drama.  

21 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

so the verdict, is it still worth going back to ep40+ and watch or i should just watch the last few episodes?

If you`ve already quit watching, then you should watch the last episodes.

BTS

Yoo Sun and Ye Rim

On 9/13/2019 at 5:41 PM, sadthe1st said:

i gave up on the weekly chase of this drama less than halfway through and now came back to check on the ending :sweat_smile: so the verdict, is it still worth going back to ep40+ and watch or i should just watch the last few episodes? :neutral:

I think you can start from ep 85 to the end. 

1 hour ago, foreverempress said:

I hope Mi Hye 's wedding dress is not as ugly as I think it is in the preview I saw.

I also thought that the dress is out of fashion.  But I did not saw the whole dress. Maybe she wore her mother`s wedding dress. That would be sweet and explain why she chose that dress. I remember a scene where she was looking at the wedding dresses from a magazine. No way, she found a dress like that in those magazines. :D

but, I think she still looks good in that dress. Too bad she can`t be 100% happy at the event. Seeing Sun ja happy to see her youngest daughter marry a good man, it doesn`t really matter how she looks at the event. 

Archived