[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] The Untamed 陈情令

RPM

I remember they took Guardian away and that wasn't as bad at Addicted.  Going back to rewatch on Tencent youtube to give them more count plus I can't get enough of them.

I heard their rating right now is 7.1.  

46 minutes ago, kkrystal said:

I remember they took Guardian away and that wasn't as bad at Addicted.  Going back to rewatch on Tencent youtube to give them more count plus I can't get enough of them.

I heard their rating right now is 7.1.  

Really? They took guardian away? I’ve read many comments saying they didn’t. And by taking away you mean the show got cut off in China or...

they haven’t taken guardian away as it’s still on viki. 

Edited by NEVERending

6 hours ago, NEVERending said:

Someone just mentioned that China government can interrupt the show and my heart dropped! I hope and pray it airs successfully throughout. 

Yes.. that is why fans are asking "new" fans to be super careful.. don't outrightly call out things.. and don't make it trend so much on internet that chinese govt takes notice..

the drama may not even be allowed to air completely

but honestly, someone who has no context.. may be won't be offended.. production has been careful..

but then i hear guardian was more subtle than untamed and that has been pulled off

5 hours ago, JoyceDreamer said:

Wow...if you all think about it, how would it really have been if WY decided not to go to  Jin Ling's 1 month celebration.... 

things would have still happened..world will always find its victim.. and non conformity always finds its challenges

plus most importantly, i think WXX needed to die to get a shot at happiness again..

novel also touches upon it.. losing golden core was not easy for him... and because he doesn't talk about it.. we don't have chapters on it.. but that blow was huge to him.. couple that with so much intense emotions and none to share that with.. 

1. He wholeheatedly made a promise with LZ.. but he was left alone fighting to uphold the promise.. from his view..while LZ is nice to him but  he is not that important to LZ.. 

For WX.. anything LZ does,says. anything about him is such a intense emotion for him.. but then he looks at LZ and he sees that nothing about him is of importance to LZ.. except for sake of friendship the care that he has for WX

And what sucks is.. LZ thinks the same.. that everything about WX is so important to him.. but WX is just a sunny personality.. he doesn't and probably won't "like" lz in "that" sense

2. For WX the most important person is JY .. no one can contest that.. and the lotus family is gone because noone has guts to support the right

3. THis guy thrives in cultivating..and all of that has been snatched from him..

it's too  painful.. he really had to die to get rid of all the emotional baggage

• Insightful 2

45 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Yes.. that is why fans are asking "new" fans to be super careful.. don't outrightly call out things.. and don't make it trend so much on internet that chinese govt takes notice..

but honestly, someone who has no context.. may be won't be offended.. production has been careful..

but then i hear guardian was more subtle than untamed and that has been pulled off

Yes guardian pulled through as they were subtle and the untamed is also subtle! As long as it keeps this way, fingers crossed it airs throughout.

and yes fans have started to paint WWZ and LZ in really compromising positions on Instagram. Hope it stays out of sight 

Also the fact that this drama is historical may give some leeway as in modern dramas their can expect there to be BL but probably won’t have the same expectation for historical

We have 20 episodes to go, give or take the vip.

45 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

I have watched Guardian when it aired and it's very very subtle, very much like The Untamed; they just exchange glances and are deeply worried with one another and willing to do anything for one another; I actually only found out the story was a BL novel when the show was almost ending, but it aired with no problems, just some cuts in the funding, maybe because of those issues, I don't know. I really hope The Untamed airs with no worries, especially if it seems it will have an happy ending. I can't get enough of these guys! :love:

If I remember correctly Guardian airred and upload from June 2018 to July 2018?? But was taken down. I don't remember why it was removed. Howerver they later on re upload it. When I was in china I cant even stream off youtube. Actually alot of the apps are block. Thank goodness I use Wechat and have friends that live in Shanghai.

Guardian was taken down temporarily for too much “superstitious” elements, not BL.  Supposedly. That was the reason given if I remember correctly.

I don’t know why WYB is criticized for acting. Hard to judge a guy when he’s supposed to be playing a “dead eye no expression” character, literally. He’s not supposed to be subtle or hard to read or hides his emotion type,  just plain no expression. In the book, every character always comment on his no expression face anytime he shows up. Constantly.

It works in a book cause all his feelings are told through his actions and we don’t get visuals anyway. I get that it’s tough to get the same feeling in a live-action, especially when everyone else is given super dramatic stuff to act out. But he’s got the hardest job any actor can get with that type of character. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

things would have still happened..world will always find its victim.. and non conformity always finds its challenges

plus most importantly, i think WXX needed to die to get a shot at happiness again..

novel also touches upon it.. losing golden core was not easy for him... and because he doesn't talk about it.. we don't have chapters on it.. but that blow was huge to him.. couple that with so much intense emotions and none to share that with.. 

1. He wholeheatedly made a promise with LZ.. but he was left alone fighting to uphold the promise.. from his view..while LZ is nice to him but  he is not that important to LZ.. 

For WX.. anything LZ does,says. anything about him is such a intense emotion for him.. but then he looks at LZ and he sees that nothing about him is of importance to LZ.. except for sake of friendship the care that he has for WX

And what sucks is.. LZ thinks the same.. that everything about WX is so important to him.. but WX is just a sunny personality.. he doesn't and probably won't "like" lz in "that" sense

2. For WX the most important person is JY .. no one can contest that.. and the lotus family is gone because noone has guts to support the right

3. THis guy thrives in cultivating..and all of that has been snatched from him..

it's too  painful.. he really had to die to get rid of all the emotional baggage

True. Since he is back as Mo, I hope he can somewhat use some spiritual energy and somewhat protect himself. I believe I read somewhere that Mo is actually really low in skills with his golden core... I guess that will affect WY. 

1 hour ago, lizax1 said:

I don’t know why WYB is criticized for acting. Hard to judge a guy when he’s supposed to be playing a “dead eye no expression” character, literally. He’s not supposed to be subtle or hard to read or hides his emotion type,  just plain no expression. In the book, every character always comment on his no expression face anytime he shows up. Constantly.

It works in a book cause all his feelings are told through his actions and we don’t get visuals anyway. I get that it’s tough to get the same feeling in a live-action, especially when everyone else is given super dramatic stuff to act out. But he’s got the hardest job any actor can get with that type of character. 

I agree. I have seen a review that criticized him by saying he can be cold but not expressionless and cite Yehua from 3L3W and Shen Wei from Guardian as better examples. but I'm just like, LWJ is totally different from those 2 characters?? he IS expressionless and doesn't connect with anything unless he met WWX. as much as people harp on WYB's "dead fish look" in the first few eps, it actually helps to show LWJ's change from pre-WWX to post-WWX as he's starting to emote more later on (and actually even emoting more than novel LWJ is supposed too lol)

also imo a lot of the criticism was prejudice against the way he looks. like too young, too skinny, too short etc. there are so many fanart out there and also the donghua and he just doesn't look like that. but when I go back to the paragraphs that describes LWJ in the actual novel it's basically thin and lanky, with a cold beautiful face, and pale flawless skin...technically the only thing WYB doesn't match is the amber/golden eyes

44 minutes ago, shuwei said:

I agree. I have seen a review that criticized him by saying he can be cold but not expressionless and cite Yehua from 3L3W and Shen Wei from Guardian as better examples. but I'm just like, LWJ is totally different from those 2 characters?? he IS expressionless and doesn't connect with anything unless he met WWX. as much as people harp on WYB's "dead fish look" in the first few eps, it actually helps to show LWJ's change from pre-WWX to post-WWX as he's starting to emote more later on (and actually even emoting more than novel LWJ is supposed too lol)

also imo a lot of the criticism was prejudice against the way he looks. like too young, too skinny, too short etc. there are so many fanart out there and also the donghua and he just doesn't look like that. but when I go back to the paragraphs that describes LWJ in the actual novel it's basically thin and lanky, with a cold beautiful face, and pale flawless skin...technically the only thing WYB doesn't match is the amber/golden eyes

Yes agree that WYB Is actually a close physical match to the description in the novel, aside from his light eyes. 

Fanart tropes usually have LWJ in the more typical Seme look, with the height and size difference between him and WWX more pronounced. It's OK, since they existed before the casting of WYB. 

As the episodes go further along, you can see WYB having more opportunities to broaden his range. I find his glances very eloquent, that's incredibly difficult to pull off since as an actor he's only confined to limited use of broad and expressive facial expression and body language, to remain in character. 

The MV of Won't Forget 不忘 is a great compilation of all the key LWJ scenes and it comes across strong. 

• Like 1

In recent updates, the production team has revealed that they have filmed 2 special side stories this year! 

Follow @MoDaoVSZuShi as they translates a very nice lengthy article which also includes 20 fun BTS info.

For those who can read mandarin, here's the WeiBo article . I will probably need the dictionary by my side hahaha. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, VeryBerry said:

In recent updates, the production team has revealed that they have filmed 2 special side stories this year! 

Follow @MoDaoVSZuShi as they translates a very nice lengthy article which also includes 20 fun BTS info.

For those who can read mandarin, here's the WeiBo article . I will probably need the dictionary by my side hahaha. 

So, we'll get to watch 2 side stories, i can't wait

7 hours ago, JoyceDreamer said:

True. Since he is back as Mo, I hope he can somewhat use some spiritual energy and somewhat protect himself. I believe I read somewhere that Mo is actually really low in skills with his golden core... I guess that will affect WY. 

Yes, JGY would make another plan, then another plan, until he could kill WWX. Also, JZX would die eventually too, because JGY wanted him dead. JGY is a mastermind that would accomplish this result no matter what. He only fail when NHS, which is another mastermind, saw through his intentions, but it was too late for all of them. WWX had a hero complex, and would save anyone in need no matter the consequences and JGY would use it against him again and again.

Okay all this talking bout the episodes is just making me antsy! My original plan was to restart watching when the episodes got to 40. Because I stopped at episode 14 so I would not have to wait for them to be happy. But f**k it I’m just gonna plunge in and FEEL. 

• LOL 2

2 hours ago, NataliaMedella said:

I’m just watching everything again from the beginning to deal with the  waiting

lol I lost track of how many time I watched the first two episodes to remind myself all the sadness is in the past. This is one of the very few drama that I have to watch real time, literally once I got off work, I need to watch the latest episodes and nothing else caught my attention (I usually can watch two to three drama at the same time) This drama occupied most of my time and I really like both actors as well...digging up some of their older performances during the long wait... the latest episode of variety show 天天向上 (with Wang Yi Bo as host) this weekend will include both Wang Yi Bo and Xiao Zhan...can't wait to see more of their interactions!

1 hour ago, BreezeC said:

lol I lost track of how many time I watched the first two episodes to remind myself all the sadness is in the past. This is one of the very few drama that I have to watch real time, literally once I got off work, I need to watch the latest episodes and nothing else caught my attention (I usually can watch two to three drama at the same time) This drama occupied most of my time and I really like both actors as well...digging up some of their older performances during the long wait... the latest episode of variety show 天天向上 (with Wang Yi Bo as host) this weekend will include both Wang Yi Bo and Xiao Zhan...can't wait to see more of their interactions!

Exactly, same here. I put everything on hold, there’s no space for anything else in my head.