Quantcast
jaiwook_08

[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

Apologies beforehand if all of this has already been thrashed out but I'm just a tad behind. :tongue:

I'm so far behind everyone and struggling to catch due to RL commitments but I had an "Aha" moment when we caught a glimpse of the OTP watching Singin' in the Rain over red wine, a show that I was reminded of and named... not sure if anybody remembers or cares... when the previews first came out. What both stories have in common,  is a couple that feels compelled to keep their relationship a secret from the rest of the world. In both instances, there's an obsessive, delusional stalkery third party that functions as a dark, pesky cloud hovering in the horizon. I love Singin' in the Rain... it's one of my favourite films of all time and one of the best Hollywood musicals ever made. Aside from being a hilarious parody of Hollywood, it explodes with tons of incredible energy.

TBH, I'm rather schizophrenic about Something in the Rain. (There are times I feel that it could really do with a musical number here and there) While I enjoy the cute and the fluff, I have a difficult time being sympathetic with the OTP's plight. I don't know if they've come to the point where they've become more forthcoming about their relationship. As far as I can tell, they're still keeping their relationship very much a secret. I suspect that part of the reason is that I'm struggling to buy into the so-called prejudices that their families might have against a relationship like theirs. There's baggage obviously... but I'm not sure really how unsurmountable it is. It's like we're watching a reverse sageuk scenario where the expectation is usually to keep things within the family. Truth be told I'm having a tough time believing that the secrecy is necessary in the way the secrecy might have been in Singin' in the Rain. One day I would love to watch a K drama that has a local falling in love with a non-Korean as the focal point. Even though that's not that radical these days, it'll be at least a bit more hardcore than what's going on between JH and JA. :wink:

The other thing that bothers me about the secrecy is that it leaves both of them vulnerable to being prey to third party interests. As long as it remains a secret... they are perceived as being available and fair game. They need to plant their flag and make their respective claims otherwise the people around them will keep intruding into their space from generally good intentions.

This is the thing perhaps that needs to be thought through. Sure the couple in question wants to be free to choose who they love but that freedom does come with consequences and I would add, responsibilities. They've both given way to their feelings and desires but they're not willing to take responsibility for taking those definitive steps. It's heartening to see that the show doesn't let them off lightly for sneaking around. On top of that... it is my opinion that the secrecy which defines their relationship doesn't bode well for when the relationship needs to evolve to something longer lasting. I don't doubt there's a certain thrill and amusement in keeping things under the radar but is that really a great foundation for something of substance? Dare I say it, there seems to be an element of the forbidden fruit in some of this. And once this "forbidden fruit" no longer becomes "forbidden", how would they be able to maintain the relationship? Unless of course, that's not the end game. :o :lol:

So what's going to happen once everything comes to light? Will they be able to hold things together once families come into the picture and put the expected emotional pressure on them? Whatever they have to face has to be faced eventually. But it's clear that 

On the positive side, romance is helping JA delineate her boundaries more clearly.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, bugcie said:

I can't wait for tonight's episode. :heart:

Why lately I'm more exciting to watch the BTS than the drama itself hahahaha.. coz they are so funny n cute :D:D

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Spoiler

Sad because Hae In is in the center of a controversy right now because of the group photo taken last night with all the winners. Some are questioning him, why was he in the middle instead of the seniors with major award. :( 

10 hours ago, Oww TooCute said:

Why lately I'm more exciting to watch the BTS than the drama itself hahahaha.. coz they are so funny n cute :D:D

Maybe because of the witch mother too hahaha. 

Edited by jeijei
off-topic
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

Park Na Rae Jokes About Failed Attempt To Invite Jung Hae In To Her Infamous “Na Rae Bar” 

Park-Na-Rae-Jung-Hae-In.jpg

Comedienne Park Na Rae has made light of her failed attempt to get Jung Hae In to pay a visit to her famous “Na Rae Bar”!

At the 54th Baeksang Arts Awards on May 3, Park Na Rae mentioned Jung Hae In while presenting the award for Best Male TV Variety Star. The comedienne is known for hosting friends and celebrity guests at her in-home “Na Rae Bar,” a well-furnished hangout spot that she set up inside her house for the specific purpose of serving her houseguests food and drinks.

During the award ceremony, Park Na Rae jokingly remarked, “To be honest, the reason that I took special care [in dressing up] tonight was because it’s the perfect opportunity to invite a new VIP to Na Rae Bar. Last year, I tried to invite Park Bo Gumand failed.”

She then went on to reveal that her target for this year was none other than rising star Jung Hae In. Referring to his breakout role in the currently airing drama “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food,” Park Na Rae commented playfully, “You keep asking [co-star] Son Ye Jin to buy you food these days, but I’ll make you heaping bowlfuls of food. Just come to my house, to Na Rae Bar. You don’t have to bring anything; all you have to do is come.”

Park-Na-Rae.jpgSon-Ye-Jin-Jung-Hae-In.jpg

As Jung Hae In laughed shyly in response to her invitation, Park Na Rae said with a chuckle, “I don’t think my message got through at all.”

Her co-presenter for the show, fellow comedian Yang Se Hyung, then asked her to return to the award at hand and read the official list of nominees. However, Park Na Rae flustered him by suddenly asking, “Should I announce the winner, then?”

The next day, Park Na Rae joked about the incident on Instagram. Posting a selfie of herself with fellow comedienne Kim Sook, she wrote, “After I failed to get Jung Hae In to come to Na Rae Bar as a VIP, I was so shaken that I almost announced the award winner without even looking at the nominees. I’m sorry… I truly congratulate everyone on their awards!!! But Jung Hae In’s face was glowing…”

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

On 4/26/2018 at 6:05 PM, Cedric Ong said:

So the actors had some freedom in adding some scenes besides the given script (and dialogue)? Interesting to know they feel more kisses are needed to portray "real couples"...haha.

Obviously I can't speak for other couples, but me and my bf kiss a lot. The only thing I see is that their kisses are more of pecks (except the kiss at the very beginning of ep 5).

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

6 minutes ago, sunshinefate said:

What about the comments on the web? Are they all bad? I am afraid it will affect the drama's ratings and his image just for such small thing. After saw the video at that moment, I concluded that the crew had arranged the position and why would Jung Hae In move when he was already arranged there? CMIIW. I am not defending him because I love him as an actor of my favorite drama but he was just too nervous to think what was going around him. I often felt that when I was nervous and too happy

There r just 9 comments in total .. i think those are just common reply.. 

Hmm just wish that news aren't going to be a big issue.. perhaps someone got jealous of his popularity :huh:

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

The netizens are as scary as Jin Ah’s mom, poor Jung Hae In .. poor Soe Joon Hee ... 

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

Watching subbed eps 9- 

completely cracked up at the scene where Geum Bo Ra tells green eyed Kang Se Yeon that the man JiNa  is dating is JH!! And also that scene in the house where mum was thinking of introducing some girl to JH , & both dad & bro reacted in the exact same way !

If there was one grouse I always had with JA was that I always felt she was too apologetic to everyone & was too concerned about everyone else’s feelings, at the expense of her own. So I was pleasantly surprised when she trashed it out with GS & asked GS if it was wrong to love someone. I’m glad GS came around rather quickly and they didn’t make it into some Long drawn out makjang feud btwn the siblings and btwn the best friends.

Edited by triplem
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, Oww TooCute said:

There r just 9 comments in total .. i think those are just common reply.. 

Hmm just wish that news aren't going to be a big issue.. perhaps someone got jealous of his popularity :huh:

The agency better get this issue done before the broadcast of the new episode tonight or I believe it will affect the drama's ratings tonight because Knetz tend to hyperbole over small things. Even on one website, many netizens who don't like JHI's sudden skyrocket popularity, already bashed him and badmouthed him as if he was an attention seeker and even called the "handholding" last night was a media play. Yeah, maybe it was a mediaplay, but if the audiences enjoy it, doesn't it matter the most? I have never badmouthed any celebrities or dramas even though I do not like them because I know what it feels like to be badmouthed and to see your idols get badmouthed.

I hope the best for tonight's episode reaction and ratings

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

With the photo controversy, it’s part of being popular. It’s also part of growing to become a better celebrity. He needs to pay attention of all people around him. He was often praised for being respectful in the past so I think he was just overwhelming with the happiness. He did look awkward being in the center of the picture. It’s just first time attending this big event so netizens need to calm down. He’ll pay more attention next time.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

1 minute ago, thi2018 said:

With the photo controversy, it’s part of being popular. It’s also part of growing to become a better celebrity. He needs to pay attention of all people around him. He was often praised for being respectful in the past so I think he was just overwhelming with the happiness. He did look awkward being in the center of the picture. It’s just first time attending this big event so netizens need to calm down. He’ll pay more attention next time.

Yeah, I agree with you. I also would not say that he did not take any part of it, maybe he was just too overwhelmed from the happiness to have won an award at a such prestigious award ceremony that made him not aware of what was going around him. Maybe after this he will stay low key because he may feel shocked because of the sudden hyperboled reactions. Hopefully he will do something that will recover his image from the controversy soon

• Like 5

He obviously looked lost or confuse during the photo op maybe he's just going with the flow and waiting for someone to arrange them. Unfortunately he was placed in the middle, and no intention of disrespecting any seniors. The guy is very respectful, one thing his past co workers love about him. This knetz who hates him because of the popularity he's getting is just playing dirty and taking advantage of the situation. They are waiting for this, a card they can use against him and make it a big deal. Crazy people. Irrational. Annoying. 

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, bugcie said:

He obviously looked lost or confuse during the photo op maybe he's just going with the flow and waiting for someone to arrange them. Unfortunately he was placed in the middle, and no intention of disrespecting any seniors. The guy is very respectful, one thing his past co workers love about him. This knetz who hates him because of the popularity he's getting is just playing dirty and taking advantage of the situation. They are waiting for this, a card they can use against him and make it a big deal. Crazy people. Irrational. Annoying. 

I feel exactly the same that he was waiting for someone to arrange them or at least to guide him. 

• Like 4

OMG!!!! SYJ AND JHI  daebak acting!!!!!!! i think mom is not in proper sense!!!!! I think she wants to know what she was doing at his place?  Crazy mom!!!! JA yells back if she wants to explain to her what she did?

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

My apologies that I won't be translating this weekend because I'm about to get on a plane.

Just catching some clips while I wait. I do rather love that JH is about to try to brazen it out that JA isn't there when her mother comes to , thinks twice about it, and decides to go with the truth.

@40somethingahjumma, while I understand your point about forbidden fruit relationships, I'm not sure I entirely agree that is what is going on with the OTP. Yes, they were keeping it a secret because they knew their relationship could cause some problems  while they explored how they really felt each other. However, once JH was certain, I think he started pushing to reveal their relationship. It's not about the secrecy at all for him, though there may be a bit of the forbidden fruit there in that he had never thought of JA like that previously because she was just another older sister, the best friend of his older sister to him.

For JA, I actually empathize more with her desire to keep it under wraps. Especially, having just gone through a fracas in the family over a dating relationship, she doesn't want to deal with causing another scene, one which she knows for sure that there will be since she knows her mother. Plus, JA is not really the bravest of souls when she starts out. It's through her love for JH that she becomes braver, and not seeking as much approval as she has in the past.

Anyway, I have to go, but if there aren't scene translations posted to the thread by the time I get back from my trip on Monday, I'll post them then.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4