Quantcast
Jump to content
jaiwook_08

[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, sns25129 said:

She was talking about how she couldn’t attend her presscon and so instead she asked SYJ to take a picture and SYJ sent that picture in the waiting room. And she was also talking about JHI’s standing position controversy saying that a it’s kinda weird and that the position was not arranged.

 

So I was going to translate the whole text but it’s taking me too long *brainfart* and I really need to sleep now bcos in the next 5 hours I have to wake up to prepare for my graduation ceremony so I’m a little bit lost but I dropped here for a little bit before I go to sleep :D  and tomorrow once I arrived home after the graduation ceremony, hopefully I can translate the bits of episode 11! :D 

 

also wanna say thank you so much for @stroppyse for all your hard work in translations bcos I think translating things is actually not a really easy thing to do.. I brainfart a lot when translating thus it takes a pretty long time for me translate things.. (is it just me or..? xD) and I hope you’ll have a safe flight!!

Congratulations!!:D

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I screamed a bit when I saw his naked back while he put on his shirt.. why oh why didn't show his abs??? :( I want to see more, huhuuuu..

  • LOL 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like how this drama is tackling old school Korean societal issues. From my understanding, ever since divorce has become legal, the divorce rate has gone up. Not to mention the marriage rate has gone down. Young people aren't getting married as early or as often as they used to. Part of the problem could be this double standard about older women and younger men.

 

If two people are doing well enough to get married, one being a little older, even if it is the woman should not matter. Not to mention, this idea that everyone's family has to be perfect is so antiquated. Why should JH be punished because his parents split and his mom died? Not only is that unfair, it is highly discriminatory! And of course, the person screaming the loudest has no reason to be. What's so great about JA's mom??? She needs to be worried more about why her daughter is the subject of constant sexual harassment on her job? That makes me feel like her feelings towards her daughter's friends were fake. She didn't love them, she pitied them. And now that her daughter is involved with JH, the truth is coming out. This validates KS's fears re: the two of them because she knows how snobbish JA's mother can be. 

 

Just let them be. I want more lovey dovey cuteness! :blush:

  • Like 12
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminders:

 

> Do not quote images/videos/long posts. Just tag the person or use the Quote This function to quote a segment of a long text.

 

> Do not post content irrelevant to the drama. Post your non-drama content to the A&A/Shipping thread, whenever appropriate.

 

> Do not bash any actor/crew/Soompi member. Bashing incidents will be reviewed for possible sanctions.

 

> Do not post less than 20 characters. Observe the minimum posting requirement to avoid getting your post deleted.

 

> Do not post consecutively. Unless you're a recapper or if 30 mins has passed since your last post. 

 

For more details on the section rules, please visit our Kdramas and Movies Rules thread.

 

01

050518 0517KST

  • Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah I am so sad about today's episode and JA having gone on a blind date - why did she do that? I mean to appease her mother? But it's not like it's going to do much, since Omma is really against JH as of now. I cannot wait to be able to watch it with subs... I am totally with KS here, in the sense that I would have a similar reaction. I am a bit disappointed in JA for not refusing till the end to be honest.

 

Regarding the whole JHI accident: well, it seems like as of now there are two sides of the story. One being that he was asked to move by the staff but did not; there is a video of it but it keeps being taken down. The second being that he was lost and it was all rushed. There are a couple of videos showing that he does seem lost and those videos are still up. I wonder what they are not releasing a statement or an apology... It certainly doing him harm... Ah la la, I am getting worried. If he did make a mistake, they need to acknowledge it quickly before it does more harm.

  • Like 11
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Ah I am so sad about today's episode and JA having gone on a blind date - why did she do that? I mean to appease her mother? But it's not like it's going to do much, since Omma is really against JH as of now. I cannot wait to be able to watch it with subs... I am totally with KS here, in the sense that I would have a similar reaction. I am a bit disappointed in JA for not refusing till the end to be honest.

 

I find this episode painful to watch because of the character JA’s mum. I can no longer find any reason or excuse for her behaviour. She has gone mad. Lashing out at everyone. She tried to cajole JH into obedience and when he stood his ground, she tore the facade and told him it was because of his lack of achievements and status. She showed her values and declared that this is a materialistic world and she wanted her children and her grand children to live without wants. She was so crude as to say that she wasn’t afraid of people thinking that her reasons for raising children was for transactional purposes because she believed this is for their good. He tried to reason that he being young would have plenty of opportunity to work his way up. She refused him. She might sound reasonable. Very very materialistic but reasonable because she said that was her belief. Her values. Not something I can agree with but nonetheless her values and she was guided by her values. However, her actions were very difficult to watch. For me, she seemed mad. She dashed to JH’s place with intent to physically and verbally abused JA. She slapped JH across the face when he chose to kneel before her and took the stance of calm and quiet way of communicating their differences. She can have a materialistic value without behaving like a lunatic. Lashing out at people, hurting them physically and verbally because she couldn’t get her way? She is so unlovable... I am not sure how I can manage to watch the next episode with her appearing in the frame.

 

I don’t think JA is going to the matching making date to appease mum. She told her Father it is for JH. I believe she went there to tell the date that.

  • Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Ah I am so sad about today's episode and JA having gone on a blind date - why did she do that? I mean to appease her mother? But it's not like it's going to do much, since Omma is really against JH as of now. I cannot wait to be able to watch it with subs... I am totally with KS here, in the sense that I would have a similar reaction. I am a bit disappointed in JA for not refusing till the end to be honest.

I agree with you. I was disappointed as well. In my previous post i mentioned that in earlier episodes JA is way too apologetic about her own choices in life, to the point she’s like a door mat. But I thought I saw some changes in episode 9. It seems like this is going two steps forward and one step back , I’m sorry , she’s an independent 35 year old woman in a management position. If she can start standing up at the office , she needs to say no to her mum firmly. I understand the sentiments of filial piety & respecting your folks & not wanting to upset them being East Asian myself  but this is getting a bit much. 

I was terribly upset with subbed eps 10. The mum is abusive. It’s still boggles my mind & I find it hard to relate when two 30 year olds need permission & approval to date, but I can bypass that since I attribute to cultural differences. Without subs I’m not sure what her motivations are to go meet that man .But it the situation was reversed, I’m sure she would have been mad too .

Edited by triplem
Add words
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jesskitkat said:

I screamed a bit when I saw his naked back while he put on his shirt.. why oh why didn't show his abs??? :( I want to see more, huhuuuu..

FOR U under SPOILER :rolleyes:

Spoiler

ZNRZWTH.gif

 

 

M25nuzl.png

  • Like 11
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Regarding the whole JHI accident: well, it seems like as of now there are two sides of the story. One being that he was asked to move by the staff but did not; there is a video of it but it keeps being taken down. The second being that he was lost and it was all rushed. There are a couple of videos showing that he does seem lost and those videos are still up. I wonder what they are not releasing a statement or an apology... It certainly doing him harm... Ah la la, I am getting worried. If he did make a mistake, they need to acknowledge it quickly before it does more harm.

 

For me this really a case of much ado about nothing.

Why was his behaviour of not moving being construed negatively even if someone told him to and he didn’t? He was in the limelight, it was his first time receiving an award. Even if he heard, he might not have comprehended exactly what was going on. Even if he knew exactly what was going on and refused to move, that is not murder or theft... why r those netizens so judgemental over a lack of following “protocol”? Those netizens should not read this isolated behaviour as a serious flaw in JHI’s character. Let the one without sin cast the first stone.

  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was also very much disappointed with JA and her decision to go on a blind date, actually I was very upset. I find it hard to understand her taking into account her age and her career. Hopefully I will find the explanation through EP 12 tonight. Poor Joon Hee,  despite all his sacrifice does he deserve this pain.

 

About the group photo, I trust JHI and believe in him. Most comments I saw on facebook are in support  of JHI which help put my mind at ease.

  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohh...the mother she is really something. Forcing her with old tactiques like she a muture old woman fould follow her. She needs to move out of her house and be moore independent. And show her mother she made a choice. 

  • Like 5
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After allowing herself to be talked into going on the blind marriage meeting, JA lies to JH in order to go to it. JA's father tries to be encouraging about it, but is making hash of it.

 

 

JH: Where are you going?
JA: An errand for mom.
JH: Do you want me to go with you?
JA: No.
JH: When will you be back?
JA: I won’t be too long. Instead of lunch, let’s make dinner and eat it instead.
JH: Well, that doesn’t matter, but…
JH: Okay. After you finish what you have to do, call me.
JA: I’m sorry.
JH: Why?
JA: Since I cancelled our plans together.
JH: You didn’t cancel, you just delayed them a bit.
JA: Anyway.
JH: You really don’t need me to go with you?
JA: There is a lot that I can do on my own, you know.
JH: Aigoo. That’s so great of you.
JA: I’ll call later. Don’t cry. Just wait for me.
JH: (fakes crying)
JA: Stop.
JH: Okay. Call me.


KS text: I can’t go to the supermarket with you. Something has happened at the store.


Father: Our Jin Ah is really a filial daughter. Doing something you don’t want to do to make your mother feel better even. You’re all grown up now. You’re all grown up.
Father: Okay, okay, so that your mother isn’t in complete despair, just think of it as going out for a little bit. Instead of opposing her directly, if you keep doing this, then what you want will…
JA: Dad. I know that Dad is trying to help me, but if you do it in this way, then I’ll become more troubled.
Father: Dad was being sincere.
JA: I know. I know, but… Dad, there is only one thing that I’m hoping for. That I won’t receive any attention. Whether it’s at home or the office or wherever, I wish everyone would stop paying attention to me. If I weren’t the focus, I don’t think I would have any other wishes. Really.

 

 

So, in one sense I was surprised to hear that JA had agreed to the marriage meeting, however, part of me had guessed what was going on. Instead of opposing her mother head on as she had been doing, JA is trying to appease her mother somewhat while still fighting for what she wants which is to be with JH. In that sense, giving in to her mother's wishes to at least meet the set up guy isn't that big a thing. JA could then tell her mother honestly that she met him and didn't like him.

 

Both SH and JA's dad had alluded to this tactic in the sense that JA's mother does not like to lose, even to her children. She will go as low as she needs to all in the belief that she is doing the right thing for her children despite themselves, that they will actually be grateful to her later for being willing to go so far to save them from their own selves. So, JA tries to soften her mom's trenchant position.

 

There are so many flaws with this, however. None of JA's family seems to really have a handle on how strong-willed the mother is.  This will be a temporary peace at best, with JA's mom learning the lesson that that if she screams enough and causes enough of a scene that she will get her way. So, even if JA rejects this man while seeming to accede to the mother's will, that won't stop the mother from assiduously cultivating other appropriate guys to save JA from herself. And, in doing so, JA is hurting the person that she loves the most, JH. If JA keeps this up, she's going to harm their relationship irreparably.

 

I like JH's approach to the problem better. Admit to the relationship, firmly resist any instance of trying to interfere with it without shouting or theatrics, and then hold steadfast.

 

It's a given in Korean families that family is the most important thing, and coming between a child and his/her parents won't lead to lasting happiness, and truthfully, I was shocked at how JA screamed at her mother earlier in the episode. It's harder to be silent and resistant, letting one's parents be the storm but clinging like a barnacle to the rocks, but one can be filial and yet resistant to parental interference that way. That seemed to be what JH was doing, and I had hoped that JA would do so as well.

 

Still, it looks from the preview as if JA's had a scare by going on that "seon" aka blind date to see about marital prospects, and will figure out other ways to try to bring her mother about without hurting JH.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, these scenes are out of order. I had a bit of spare time in-between, so I'm translating a couple of scenes that I liked. This is JH and JA eating, with JA feeling badly that JH has to suffer through her mother and JH is still remaining so sweet rather than getting angry or anything. However, the conversation turns pretty sweet at the end of the clip. :)

 

 

JH: It’s obvious that you’re going to say that nothing much happened with your mother. That’s why I’m not even asking.
JA: It wasn’t even “nothing much” that happened. Nothing happened.
JH: That’s a relief. Mother must have been very understanding.
JA: Don’t force yourself to talk like that. It’s okay if you get angry. You can curse my mom out. I can accept everything (you might say). Like “What’s so great about Yoon Jin Ah that she dismisses me like that.” You can talk like that and show you’re angry. I won’t be angry or get my feelings hurt at all. I’m willing to listen to all of that.
JH: For the first time, you don’t look pretty. I know exactly the kind of person Yoon Jin Ah is, but because of me, you’re talking trash about yourself. And that you’re going to be even worse at home, your face shows that you’ve already decided to do that.
JH: Don’t be like that. It actually makes me feel uncomfortable instead.
JA: It’s because I’m so frustrated.
JH: When I see you say and do things that you don’t mean, I…
JH: I told you. That I’m okay with anything. If only it would cause you less pain, darling, then I don’t care what I have to go through.
JA: Darling, you’re telling me to just watch you go through difficulties alone?
JH: Why are you just watching? You’re being next to me.
JA: (changes chairs) Like this?
JH: Yes. Like this.
JA: I’ve become pretty again, haven’t I?
JH: Yes. You’re so pretty I could die.
JA: You can’t die. Not without my permission.
JH: Then what are the limits?
JA: There aren’t any.
JA: Stop right there! You see, even Seo Joon Hee’s arms and legs now move on my command.
JA: Raise your right leg. Raise your left arm.
JH: Oh, jeez. I can’t win over Yoon Jin Ah. Really.
JA: You were trying to win?
JH: Well, not exactly…

 

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dance scene with JA and KS that JH and SH walk into. It's just adorable.

 

 

JA: Oh, him. Isn’t that my little brother?
KS: It’s Joon Hee!
JA: Joon Hee!
KS: Hey, he’s my little brother!
JA: He’s my boyfriend!
KS: Hey! I’m the sister-in-law.
JA: Aigoo. Hyung-nim.
JH: Oh, geez.
JH: Have you both gone crazy?
KS: Here.
JA: Yeah.


SH: Do you like her even when she’s acting like that?
JH: She’s cute.
SH: Hey. Get lost. You get lost as well. Oh!


JH: Here. Go on.

 

 

So, as KS and JA are fighting over ownership of JH, KS reminds JA that she is the older sister-in-law. According to Korean familial customs, since KS is the older sister of the husband, she automatically places higher in the family hierarchy than husband's wife. Also, the wife is supposed to cater to her husband's family. So, JA immediately goes into respectful mode and bows from the waist so that her body forms a 90 degree angle, addressing KS with a term indicating KS' as sister-in-law, but also higher in the terms of hierarchy.

 

One other thing that might be interesting, Koreans have all sorts of bows, however, the bow where you bend at the waist and have your torso parallel to the floor is actually called "90 degrees" and is reserved to indicate deep respect. The only bow even more respectful would be the drop to the floor kind and that is only done on certain occasions and to certain people.

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This scene actually made my heart for JH a little because he's trying so hard to protect JA as much as possible, even from a scene with her own mother. He lies as to who is at the door and why she has to go back home for the night.

 

 

JH: It’s a good thing that you’re so little.
JA: What happened? Did he leave?
JH: No. He brought another friend as well, and they’re settling in as they will.
JA: Then what do we do?
JH: I sent them to the convenience store to buy some beer. So, because of that, today is…
JA: I understand. I’ll leave quickly.
(JH hugs JA)
JA: There’s no time for this.


JA: I look like a mess, don’t I?
JH: It’s okay.


JA: I’ll go then.
JH: I’m sorry.
JA: Nothing to be sorry for.
JH: Drive home carefully. As soon as you get home…
JA: I’m not going to call you.
JH: Just send me a text.
JA: Okay.
JH: And just because you know how to drive, don’t step on the gas.
JA: I got it.

 

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

The dance scene with JA and KS that JH and SH walk into. It's just adorable.

 

JA: Oh, him. Isn’t that my little brother?
KS: It’s Joon Hee!
JA: Joon Hee!
KS: Hey, he’s my little brother!
JA: He’s my boyfriend!
KS: Hey! I’m the sister-in-law.
JA: Aigoo. Hyung-nim.
JH: Oh, geez.
JH: Have you both gone crazy?
KS: Here.
JA: Yeah.


SH: Do you like her even when she’s acting like that?
JH: She’s cute.
SH: Hey. Get lost. You get lost as well. Oh!


JH: Here. Go on.

 

 

So, as KS and JA are fighting over ownership of JH, KS reminds JA that she is the older sister-in-law. According to Korean familial customs, since KS is the older sister of the husband, she automatically places higher in the family hierarchy than husband's wife. Also, the wife is supposed to cater to her husband's family. So, JA immediately goes into respectful mode and bows from the waist so that her body forms a 90 degree angle, addressing KS with a term indicating KS' as sister-in-law, but also higher in the terms of hierarchy.

 

One other thing that might be interesting, Koreans have all sorts of bows, however, the bow where you bend at the waist and have your torso parallel to the floor is actually called "90 degrees" and is reserved to indicate deep respect. The only bow even more respectful would be the drop to the floor kind and that is only done on certain occasions and to certain people.

 

 

And I also like it that he decided to come out from the toilet and wait for her instead. Maybe worried for her safety since she's kinda drunk?

So thoughtful and gentle!

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jesskitkat said:

 

And I also like it that he decided to come out from the toilet and wait for her instead. Maybe worried for her safety since she's kinda drunk?

So thoughtful and gentle!

 

I think he just wanted to walk JA to the restroom rather than that he had to go himself. :)

 

 

Okay, time for me to pumpkin again. I don't know if or when I'll be able to log on tomorrow, but should be able to log back on Sunday.

 

Also, the sexual harassment is getting even more serious. There are video recordings of Director Nam getting handsy with JA (yuck!), with VP Jung asking JA to give her testimony which JA seems to have decided to do. That's why JA is going to be the focus of the storm on this one.

 

I wonder if when JA's mother finds out what JA has been going through, whether she'll cut JA some slack and give her sympathy, or berate JA for not knowing her place. For someone who is so intent on women being refined and reserved and being second to men, that mother really is a loud mouthed know-it-all who disrespects her own husband and tries to bully everyone around her that she thinks she can get away with. Talk about lack of self-perception and self awareness.

 

Hoping for a good episode 12, though I'm aware it's more likely that the angst will continue to build up.

  • Like 14
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...