[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

What do you get when you mix Chinese mythology with Ghostbusters with Grimm and a dash of Mary Poppins? Hwayugi apparently. :D

The bull statue... has got to be the highlight of my weekend viewing. Yes, really. :wink:  Just when I think they can't possibly get any more mileage out of that bull, they manage to prove me wrong. The antics associated with that piece of ridiculously ostentatious decoration undoes me each week. If that isn't enough the Demon King's reaction to whatever happens to it is beyond priceless. I had tears in my eyes just watching him. This week's "my bull has turned into a daisy cow" gag had me cackling for minutes but without Cha Seung Won's inimitable eye acting... I doubt if it would have achieved the same effect. :D 

The little mermaid yarn introduced yet another character to the gallery of monster types... the octopus... making room for plenty of cross-dressing, takoyaki jokes. It was a nice twist on the Hans Christian Andersen tale... the mermaid already dead and stabbing the perp to make him suffer for a very long time... a bit of east meets west here.

Can I say how much I'm enjoying this oneupmanship that's going on between the the Demon King and the Monkey? It's the Teenage Odd Couple on steroids. And hey... I'm kind of barracking for the Demon King because he manages to get all the right reactions out of SOG. Still, I'd rather he didn't telegraph his pranks... it's a bit too much and takes away the element of surprise.

SOG might have the body of a 30 year old man but he has the mind of a petulant 13 year old. He's a thorough-going communication klutz that manages to say all the wrong things at the right time. Seon Mi doesn't fair much better either to be frank. Those two can certainly write the textbook on how NOT to communicate... dodging, prevaricating, lashing out... a match absolutely made in Kdramaland. At this stage I can't say how much of a threat Jonathan is, but SOG is clearly his own worst enemy. Not Jonathan, and certainly not The Demon King with all his machinations. But of course SM is so weighed down with being sure of his sincerity that she misses the boat too. I had a few "I want to bash their heads together" moments but alas I lack the supernatural powers. FCOL even the Demon King has cotton on to the true state of SM's ever wavering mind.

It's not as if SOG gets it wrong all the time either. He can be very unexpectedly sweet but then one is reminded even a broken clock is right twice a day. I still think I'm right about the bracelet... at least in part... it isn't what it appears to be. The chubby fellow with the Liberace outfits seem to have said as much.

Although I'm in no danger of suffering the pangs of 2ML syndrome, I really like Jonathan and in a world of evil spirits, monsters, zombie and bad human beings doing bad things to other human beings, he is a breath of fresh air. He is a nice normal guy or at least I hope he is genuine and stays that way all throughout. At least he's someone SOG can learn from in how he can get a better reaction from SM.

Does anyone else think that they can watch LSG standing in front of them grinning all day long? Maybe it's just me but that grin lights up the screen like nothing else on this show.

• Like 8
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 2

I mean... whether she has GGG or not she is the Sam Jang and has the fate of the world on her shoulders. She was singled out by seeing demons long before she met SOG. She tries to fight her destiny, live like a normal woman, ETC. and the world will be doomed. Might as well come to terms somehow and hang out with only group that ever included her... A Pig, zombie, richard simmons secretary, a bull king and PITA Monkey demigod. 

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Yes indeed very depressing

if she gave up on the GGG,

doesn't it mean that that she betrayed Oh Gong?

Although I understand her desperation to live normally.

Being food for the demons is just a very painful life

I thought by giving up on GGG, she wants to give up being Samjang and all the fake feelings SOG has for her. She wants to liberate SOG and herself, perhaps?

She has been fed with the ideas that GGG is the one generated the feelings and it will disappear...  she is aware her feelings for SOG is real..  She must be thinking..how dreadful it will be when she accomplishes her mission and only she retains those feelings... So she desperately wants out from this whole SJ and SOG thing... She doesn't think she is betraying him as she has the idea that he is acting under the influence of GGG. To her, he is not like the mermaid who has real feelings for a human.. 

Actually who can blame her for what she is trying to do? She is inexperienced in love and is not able to see beyond what SOG says... And she seek advice from demons who knows nothing about love.. She is so used to protecting herself.. This time she felt she needs to protect her heart because she thinks she is the losing party when she truly follows her feelings.... She just didn't realise that the losing party is actually SOG who has to live eternally.... 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

At first glance, it appears as though Son Oh Gong (played by Lee Seung Gi) and Jin Sun Mi (played by Oh Yeon Seo) are tying the knot.

However, a closer look reveals that Son Oh Gong is not wearing the tuxedo customarily sported by bridegrooms. Additionally, Jin Sun Mi’s bridal gown has a distinctly retro look, leading viewers to wonder whether this scene is taking place in the past.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/01/26/hwayugi-teases-wedding-scene-lee-seung-gi-oh-yeon-seo/

More pics of the wedding dress.

http://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=12467924&memberNo=37994621

_DSC1758_%EC%A7%84%EC%84%A0%EB%AF%B8%EB%

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

in the text preview - sunmi was blinded by the book demon because of some childhood memory triggering somthing . i love the child actress she makes me tear up each time she’s on screen so hoping she will make a cameo . and sunmi must have got sucked into her own version of fairy tale happy ending with the man she loves . she’s a bride for the second time and oh gong will save her again . i just want them to be couple already and be lovey dovey . we might get it soon as bts spoils them holding hands . 

and need a moment to admire oh yoen seo ,  she looks so beautifull . can’t she stop wearing black now ? i want her in color . and seunggi looks so dashing . a real prince 

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, cleoLsg said:

in the text preview - sunmi was blinded by the book demon because of some childhood memory triggering somthing . i love the child actress she makes me tear up each time she’s on screen so hoping she will make a cameo . and sunmi must have got sucked into her own version of fairy tale happy ending with the man she loves . she’s a bride for the second time and oh gong will save her again . i just want them to be couple already and be lovey dovey . we might get it soon as bts spoils them holding hands . 

and need a moment to admire oh yoen seo ,  she looks so beautifull . can’t she stop wearing black now ? i want her in color . and seunggi looks so dashing . a real prince 

I am so with you on this.... I m hoping for some lovey dovey scenes for the two of them and for her to wear some colours!! It is quite depressing that she is in beautiful colours in all the alternative world but in the real world she is dark and grey....

Hmmm maybe it is a reflection of how the REAL world is like... Dark, gloomy, grey and depressing.... While the alternative world which is full of life, excitement and colours!!  

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, cleoLsg said:

Can Oh Gong gives her Versace clothing too?

he is so colourful while she is always in all black

what a easte of Oh YeonSeo's beauty. Although i know she is wearing all black cos it fits well with her character

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Anna Tan said:

I thought by giving up on GGG, she wants to give up being Samjang and all the fake feelings SOG has for her. She wants to liberate SOG and herself, perhaps?

She has been fed with the ideas that GGG is the one generated the feelings and it will disappear...  she is aware her feelings for SOG is real..  She must be thinking..how dreadful it will be when she accomplishes her mission and only she retains those feelings... So she desperately wants out from this whole SJ and SOG thing... She doesn't think she is betraying him as she has the idea that he is acting under the influence of GGG. To her, he is not like the mermaid who has real feelings for a human.. 

Actually who can blame her for what she is trying to do? She is inexperienced in love and is not able to see beyond what SOG says... And she seek advice from demons who knows nothing about love.. She is so used to protecting herself.. This time she felt she needs to protect her heart because she thinks she is the losing party when she truly follows her feelings.... She just didn't realise that the losing party is actually SOG who has to live eternally.... 

she can give away GGG but still be a Samjang, but giving away GGG gives someone else the power to kill him . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wotad said:

she can give away GGG but still be a Samjang, but giving away GGG gives someone else the power to kill him . 

Hopefully there’s some twist like the powers of GGG can only be activated by a kiss. Otherwise  the previous owner of GGG would also have had a hold on SOG (before SM activated it in EP 2) 

Gosh with all these previews the wait for EP 9 is getting torturous!!  

• Like 1

It's 3:45 am where I live and I'm still lurking waiting for someone to post the OST.

@ImEatingUrCookies thanks for posting the new OST. It feels like I've been waiting years for it to be released even though it's only been a week LOL

I finally watched the spoilers for ep 9. You guys, I feel like we should all brace ourselves for some major heartache. I have this horrible feeling that Oh Gong is going to snatch that bouquet and stomp on it, :confounded:in turn, stomping on SM and our hearts  :cold_sweat:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Seen the latest teaser, I was smiling from ear to ear, maybe because of the BGM too :D but I smiled specially on the part when SOG gesture her to walk to him. See that! The mischief in his smiles, like Helen of Troy, that smiles could launch a thousand hearts :heart::heart::heart:  (Including mine :D), on the other hand SM was like a lady and shy, she waited him to come to her. These two, their chemistry is too much. They look lovely and sweet. :wub::wub::wub:

Back in the latest spoiler, I guess the wedding scene is the product of SM’s imagination, we all knew that she thought the black bell was the love bell.. she heard it rungs too, then SOG appears at the other side of the road, in front of her. Plus the very important element, She love him. So naturally, she want a happy ending for themselves.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, Anna Tan said:

I think that's certainly part of the problem. She's constantly being fed contradictory information from a wide variety of sources. It's almost like working in the public service. Maybe it's an allegory. Depending who she asks on any given day, you get a different opinion about the bracelet's power and its effects on OG.  So far we've seen, half-truths, ignorance and outright lying. And then we have all these monsters/supernatural beings claiming to be experts on human emotions with their own agendas dishing out advice about romance and OG.

The other problem I believe is SM herself. Let me play devil's advocate here. 

To begin with she's a loner and she's been ostracized throughout her life. But suddenly in recent days she's found her calling, she's got people to go to who aren't repulsed by her. She rubs shoulders with supernatural beings on a daily basis. They're a rogue's gallery but they're the closest thing to friends she's ever had. A supernatural being has been tasked to protect her, who may or may not be sincere in his declarations of affection to her because he's wearing a love bracelet. Or at least that's what she's been told. She's fallen for him... she knows she's fallen for him. But because she's afraid of getting hurt, she withdraws and lies about her feelings. Paradoxically, her not wanting to be hurt has led to this push-pull relationship with SOG which in turn is causing her emotional turmoil so well, she ends up hurt anyway. Even the apparently insensitive SOG knows it, hence the blood drinking trick he played on the Demon King. The constant uncertainty about SOG's authenticity puts her on edge. That comes to the fore when she says things that hurt him and in retaliation he says spiteful things to her. They both walk away from confrontations... often hurt and confused. All pretty much self-inflicted.

Right from the start SM has had a very unusual life as far as she remembers. Occupationally she's found success by cashing in on her abilities while making a killing on real estate. She's obviously quite capable and intelligent. The part that boggles my mind is that this same SM with all the supernatural baggage in her life is somehow expecting to have a normal relationship with a supernatural monkey in human form whose a known prankster... how more out of this world can her situation be? Frankly I think she should just stop obsessing over the bracelet and roll with it. If the end of the world is her destiny, maybe it really doesn't matter if this attraction she has with OG is short-lived. 

If she's hurting she may as well go with the flow. After all she's in for some serious heartache anyway.

• Like 9

Here is the video translation:

SJ - How come I ended up with that dude? When the bell rang, he was there. A match made in Heaven...Is he really the groom of my fate?
SJ - Should I choose the ring? A match made in Heaven...is it really true?

• Like 5