[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

1 hour ago, Miky88 said:

More than sure,Oh Gong will let that Storyteller Demon "control" him making her think she has him onder her spell for SunMi to have her so desired normal life and get away from her punishment...The problem will come when he realizes he can't live without her,not because of the bracelet spell but his own heart that wants her by his side...So he will put a "show" to make her detach herself from them(deities)and return to her own place among her kind with all that "you're not special to me anymore now"...That's why more than sure he says that it's hard to control himself pretending he doesn't care for her at all...

Quite curious when they will find out about the death bell she has...Really hope Ma Wang can become a deity so he can save his beloved,their fate is sooo tragic and yet sooo beautiful,as he loved her all this time...Sadly like the SUmmer Fairy said,there is not a single deity-human couple to have a happy ending that is true as one will grow old right under the other's eyes and die while the diety will remain just as young and beautiful and suffer being left alone...

What happens if the deity is made human or human made deity. I hope for something like that for our couple to end well. 

I think they are hyping up these death flags and ill fated love etc.. but will have a happy ending.

Well i hope a happy ending ;p

• Like 4

MY Theory: 

• I think don't it was JSM that was leaning for the kiss but the witch transformed. That's why SOG threw her away. She has a ENTIRE library of books, it would make sense that she has enough power to pull those kinds of tricks.
  • JSM's memory of SOG was erased (?) or something along those lines thus her identity of SJ was also erased the moment her younger self (the starting point of SOGx SJ fate) was locked away in the book.
  • She past by SOG (dressed in a blue jacket in the preview) on the street, failed facial recognition but was not able to shake off the feeling of familiarity so she looks at him curiously then leaves. SOG left alone and hurt.
  • Now without her SJ identity, meets up with Jonathan for a coffee date, the boy JSM saved asks about his sister. JSM doesn't remember as result goes to the library to find her memory. 
  • I still dont think the librarian can take the title of SJ. She can ACT like a SJ with the real SJ's soul trapped in the book but she wont be able to inherit the title. Holding on to this blank title, the librarian tries to get up close with our SOG but only to find herself getting a black eye in the end. 
  • the death bell: way too hyped for it to be true. Like how JSM's fate changed when she met SOG (became the SJ), I think this To-Kill-and-Be-Killed fate will also get changed in the future. 

I am a fan of park bogum, since reply 1988, but i am SO SO SO VERY happy that he turned down this drama.  lee seung ri is absolutely perfect for  SOG! I cant help but to fascinate at how well he is carrying out his role EVERY EP! 

1) The i'm up to no good smile 

2) The i'm falling in love smile

3) The i'm okay as long as you are happy smile, and picks up the wine glass filled with water. 

3 smiles on the same face but each carried a different feeling. I don't think park bogum can satisfy us to the same degree as lee seung ri does. 

• Like 12

I’M EMOTIONALLY COMPROMISED! I KNEW IT IT WAS A FREAKING WEDDING! 14 DAYS AGO!

“You already got married twice, to me. Today and the last time.”

But the fact that Oh Gong himself thinks about it as THEIR WEDDING and in some way CONSIDERS HIMSELF TO BE SEON MI’S HUSBAND and tells her he married her twice and wouldn’t mind doing it again! Therefore it makes a complete sense that this is basically one huge parallel with the previous “wedding” scene and I could write an entire thesis about this alone. However, I’ll only mention the most relevant ones - OH reaching his hand to SM and her taking it, him saving her from a monster, her wearing a wedding dress,…. More importantly, all the new things he does - waiting for her at the altar, walking down the aisle to meet her. And yes, there is a demon involved but Oh Gong is definitely as affected by the sight of Seon Mi in a wedding dress as she is by seeing him standing by the altar, though each of them shows it differently.

vLtNXSv.jpg

And finally, OH GONG IS STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE VOW OF LOVE! THE SHEER SYMBOLISM! I mean, he hasn’t said them but EVERY SINGLE WORD IS TRUE ABOUT HIM; THOSE WORDS PERFCTLY DEFINE EVERYTHING HE FEELS FOR SEON MI. And that last sentence! That’s a straight hit to your heartstrings! SO richard simmons APT FOR SONG OH GONG!

DZcZprY.jpg

This is the old version from King James Bible which appears in the drama:

“Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth.” – Corinthians 13:4–8a 

However, this is the version used in Modern English: 

“Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. LOVE NEVER ENDS.” – Corinthians 13:4–8a

2XwWbbU.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Awwww, Son Oh Gong sticks up for SM with MW and forbids him to ask her to find the death bell because he won’t ever allow her to touch such a dangerous thing. Cue to SM - literally cuddling that dangerous thing. My heart just broke a little for Oh Gong here. But hasn’t he already learned that the love of his life just happens to be the biggest magnet for catastrophes and bad luck in the entire universe?

yCi9DdA.jpg

You really have to admire Oh Gong’s determination and meticulousness to protect Seon Mi at any cost from demons, Ma Wang’s greed for deity points, death bells, angry drivers and pretty much from everyone and everything in the whole world and beyond. And he is doing a great job at keeping her alive and unharmed, even though it’s damn hard considering that she sees ghosts, demons want to eat her and she became the chosen one who might get sacrificed in order to stop the incoming Apocalypse; yet he keeps soldiering on like a trooper. At this point, you would even say that nothing worse could possibly happen and then Seon Mi goes HOLD MY BEER and picks up a literal death bell on the streets.

tumblr_p38jhsXHhe1s8t96qo1_540.png

She is such a magnet for bad luck and disaster that even the almighty Monkey King who can set entire worlds on fire has trouble keeping up with her penchant for danger and keeping her save and sound even though he works day and night at it. Oh Gong should just skip the part where she would call him entirely and use a literal chain to tie himself to SM physically and permantenly, not leaving her alone even for a second. They would eat together, sleep together, bath together,… you know, frankly, it’s an excellent idea!

tumblr_p38jhsXHhe1s8t96qo4_540.png

• Like 13
  • LOL 1

THE LOOK OF SHEER HORROR ON OH GONG’S FACE! And here I thought that the only nemesis he might not defeat was death but the mighty Monkey King comes completely undone in the face of child’s tears! What a softie! It’s such a sight to watch Son Oh Gong who doesn’t fear anything or anyone become completely powerless because of crying children.

tumblr_p38o79Pups1s8t96qo2_540.png

If the Heavens were smart they would send an army of crying children  after him and he would run for his life or surrender completely.

tumblr_p38o79Pups1s8t96qo3_540.png

• Like 8
  • LOL 9

Honestly I’m horrified at the ratings, 5.1%? We are still in the middle and I really do hope they’ll reach at least 8%, this drama deserves SO much more, I would give at least 15% on cable. I seriously don’t understand what they’re doing instead of watching this dangerously addicting show.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, lovcom00 said:

Honestly I’m horrified at the ratings, 5.1%? We are still in the middle and I really do hope they’ll reach at least 8%, this drama deserves SO much more, I would give at least 15% on cable. I seriously don’t understand what they’re doing instead of watching this dangerously addicting show.

Over 5% mark is considered a big success for a cable show, still. The ratings of cable show can't be compared with the ratings of dramas aired on non-cable networks. Originally, back in 2011-2012 anything past 1% was considered success of epic proportions. Later, the general math was that 1% on cable = 5% normal. But then came the third stage with the Reply franchise and Goblin where it would be ridiculous to say that Goblin was watched by more than 100% of people who were watching the TV. So now, the accepted ratio would be 1% cable=3% normal. That would make Goblin's ratings 60+ % which is the numbers of the highest rated shows in Korean TV history. 

So Hwayugi has been scoring over  5%=15% from the very beginning, on non-cable shows the 15% mark means that the show generates profit. And if the ratings won't go below 5% it still will place in the TOP10 list of tvN dramas:

ABMf6br.jpg

source:_cloverblossoms twitter

Also there is the fact that Hwayugi starts airing the moment My Golden Life - the current highest rated drama finishes (40%) - I think that is why the commercial break before Hwauygi is so long, to give the viewers some sort of toilet break and time to switch channels. Anyway, it is a truth universally acknowledged that high ratings don't equal high quality and vice versa. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, haymochi said:

The rating went down again? Ooooph... it reached a freakinf 6.9% and why did it decreased again?

siigh... it's okay i'm enjoying the drama

Saturdays are always lower its barely down on last weeks could maybe hit a 6.0 for Sundays episode.

35 minutes ago, briseis said:

Over 5% mark is considered a big success for a cable show, still. The ratings of cable show can't be compared with the ratings of dramas aired on non-cable networks. Originally, back in 2011-2012 anything past 1% was considered success of epic proportions. Later, the general math was that 1% on cable = 5% normal. But then came the third stage with the Reply franchise and Goblin where it would be ridiculous to say that Goblin was watched by more than 100% of people who were watching the TV. So now, the accepted ratio would be 1% cable=3% normal. That would make Goblin's ratings 60+ % which is the numbers of the highest rated shows in Korean TV history. 

So Hwayugi has been scoring over  5%=15% from the very beginning, on non-cable shows the 15% mark means that the show generates profit. And if the ratings won't go below 5% it still will place in the TOP10 list of tvN dramas:

ABMf6br.jpg

source:_cloverblossoms twitter

Also there is the fact that Hwayugi starts airing the moment My Golden Life - the current highest rated drama finishes (40%) - I think that is why the commercial break before Hwauygi is so long, to give the viewers some sort of toilet break and time to switch channels. Anyway, it is a truth universally acknowledged that high ratings don't equal high quality and vice versa. 

i dont believe that goblin could have gotten 60% on normal tv.

8 shows have gone past 60% on normal tv in Korea. 

26 minutes ago, astrobooy said:

And btw guys dont be stressed about ratings its not the benchmark of good drama anyways . :) 

its not but the drama deserves to do well. 

• Like 3