[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

1 hour ago, astrobooy said:

I just remember something from the original novel abt SOG erasing his name in a book (life and death) will he do it here again ? Or Will he do it for JSM ? 

Omg i dont know is the drama is following everything from the book. 

Maybe there will be some twists in this drama or small chamges. 

Can’t wait for Sunday 

• Like 2

hi , i’m late to the party . but i want to join to spazz about hwayugi . 

@packmule3 i have watched rewatched enough hong sister’s drama’s to know that when a fairy tale becomes  a part of the narative it’s not random or meaningless . since jonathan is the one who picks up where the wild things are , and since i didn’t  know whats that story is about i assumed it’s linked to jonathan . so thankyou for summarizing the tale and explaining how it might be connected to oh gong instead . 

@briseis i agree with you about oh gong fighting tooth and nail because he knows too well what eternal love is and how it is to be left behind forever . his supermarket confession comes from someone who knows the pain only too well. he is begging sunmi not to leave him and not to hate him . we don’t know oh gongs back story . the way he acts now can be either he has never been in love or he has been in love before and it has left him scarred for life . 

i love sunmi for being sincere when she said okay i will never leave you for another man ever again or hate you and get angry with me . both of them look content after that. maybe sunmi finally decided to let go of the fear of what might happen in the future , but just to love him and be loved by him for now . she said to mawang with all smiles , we made up , my heart is at peace since i don’t have any expectations after ggg comes off . and oh gong was smiling at her at the end maybe he realized his feelings are not fake or just due to ggg and he’s relived he can trust sunmi because she promised him that she won’t leave her and of she did he can kill her . 

and that damned death bell . did oh gong recognize it? i thought maybe for a second his eyes were on the bell in her hand . did he hear it too? i hope for their sake they will be in the dark about the death bell till they sort out their feelings more and become all lovey dovey like mgig hoi hoi couple thinking the only thins in their way is the ggg . they still don’t know about one of them have to be sacrificed to close the gates of hell yet . 

Edited by cleoLsg
spellings
  • Like 10

52 minutes ago, estrellita1122 said:

I always ask myself when are we going to know the reason why jsm can see ghosts? 

She saw ghosts even before she gets punished to be sam jang 

Because she was born with the fate of samjang. It's her fate to see those ghost/ demons as her mission is to save the world 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it only in Asian communities that it's generally accepted that some people will have the natural ability to see and feel other entities ? I simply take it that female lead is one of those people to start with and her (additional) Sam Jang mission took on  when she freed SOG. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cleoLsg said:

@briseis i agree with you about oh gong fighting tooth and nail because he knows too well what eternal love is and how it is to be left behind forever . his supermarket confession comes from someone who knows the pain only too well. he is begging sunmi not to leave him and not to hate him . we don’t know oh gongs back story . the way he acts now can be either he has never been in love or he has been in love before and it has left him scarred for life . 

i love sunmi for being sincere when she said okay i will never leave you for another man ever again or hate you and get angry with me . both of them look content after that. maybe sunmi finally decided to let go of the fear of what might happen in the future , but just to love him and be loved by him for now . she said to mawang with all smiles , we made up , my heart is at peace since i don’t have any expectations after ggg comes off . and oh gong was smiling at her at the end maybe he realized his feelings are not fake or just due to ggg and he’s relived he can trust sunmi because she promised him that she won’t leave her and of she did he can kill her . 

sorry for cutting your post but I agree with both of you @cleoLsg & @briseis

SOG has suffer for 1000 years from  a human betray we don't know the full story or if he was In love before or not but we know that :

1) no matter how evil SOG act sound in the end we now saw how nice and low EQ he can be, the fact of what happen after the kiss was a really prove how much the powerful  and great saga is in the really just a simple, fool and has pure heart when it come to feeling , so I can imaging  how much it was in the past where he was trusting human as MW said and how  much he suffered 

2) 1000 years  alone as punishment is so much as SM said and morever  he was a victim to human  betray that should made him really have fear to even be close to human , his pure heart is broken, his pride was destroyed and his power didn't help him to save his soul from lonely  and pain , so we can understand how he was in the start a little evil , liar and crazy but in the same how he still show interest  in SM as little kid and a growing women even before know she SJ after all he was interset  in her but fear to fall in human hands again , he wasn't evil but he was in fear and trying to protect himself  from his weak heart that keep want to know human 

3) when he started to love her before or after he was forced to it( it doesn't matter) it was the same fight with himself, he know more then what we saw till now what he will do for human when he trust and love them , so he tried  to stop  and save himself from her, he trying to not be again a fool that human use and throw  away but he couldn't do that, he ready now to be used cause he had no other choice he love her and cant lose her but now he fight another fight , a fight of losing her what if she left me for another man? what if she stop want to be with me after all that end?( the same fear that SM have , he also having it and he fear it more then her since human feeling change), what If she die before me????

the great saga living in fear and pain more then SM, he longing and fearing  her love more then she do to his love

. you right human feeling change but for him it for life he just simply  in love and can't see complicated feeling,

human die but he will live forever with that feeling

human can betray  even the people they love to save themselves  but he can never do something like this

SM don't understand  that her fight with her feeling is not even close to the fight that SOG having with his feeling,

all what SOG want this little promises and feeling only just promise  me you want betray  me , promise  me you will not lover another man, promise  me that you will not leave   me and I promise  you I will not alow  you to die before me

he know that all that is nothing , he not sure it will last forever  he had his fear but he just want to hear it and believe  it , he know she will die someday when he can't die but he mean it when say he can't allow that, that words was something that he mean it and will come back in the future to us , what he can do to stop  the fact that she can die and he will be left   behind !!!!

• Like 12

12 hours ago, haymochi said:

Because she was born with the fate of samjang. It's her fate to see those ghost/ demons as her mission is to save the world 

Yes I think she's samjang reincarnated. Actually I think it's not HER fate to meet SOG when she was at that age, but rather it was SOG's fate to be released from the Mountain through her on that particular day, at that particular time.  I hope they introduce the Buddha character to explain why and how he's trapped.

• Like 3

“Because a mermaid’s love is unconditional, she sacrifices everything. She gives everything to the ever selfish human and gets disregarded.”

The Prince’s words about the mermaid affect Oh Gong deeply and her sad love story really serves as both a cautionary tale and foreshadowing of what can happen to Oh Gong if he decides to follow his heart.The moment he sees the mermaid it’s as if he were looking at what he may one day becomes; what can happen if you fall in love with a human. Because one of the things the latest episodes taught us is that while a supernatural being may love a human there is no guarantee that such a love will have a happy ending. 

eyan4zB.jpg

“She must have lost her love to a human.” 

Because the human may not love him back; because he may get betrayed; because that person may find a human who wouldn’t be a natural predator; because just like the mermaid once if he falls in love he will love that person unconditionally and literally forever and if she dies he will be left alone for all eternity or would end up spending hundreds of years waiting for her reincarnation which may fall in love with someone else and never love him again. Can you even imagine it? A heartache that would last forever. 

It’s such a huge risk for a demon to fall in love with a human, just as it is a huge risk for human to fall in love with a demon, albeit for different reasons. They have both so much to lose. That’s the main theme and focus of the last two episodes - the love between a mortal and an immortal. It’s something that shouldn’t start, they shouldn’t mix. The prudent choice is, of course, not to get entangled with each other - both Seon Mi and Oh Gong are aware of it, their supernatural friends tells them to stay away from each other, but no matter how much they fight it, no matter how hard they try to resist and despite of the fact that they know how dangerous it is to succumb to these emotions, they can’t help themselves and keep falling in love with each other anyway.

HMuwcGf.jpg

“Would she be able to kill him if she loves him?”

Would Oh Gong be able to kill Seon Mi if he loves her when he is ready to burn entire worlds for her and obliterate anyone who dares to touch a hair on her head, both figuratively and literally?

“I shouldn’t have started this love from the beginning?”

When was the beginning exactly, anyway? It was even before he put the bracelet on, wasn’t it? One thing is certain, it’s already late for Son Oh Gong. He’s already in love with Seon Mi.

1Nqz2hA.jpg

• Like 18

In JttW, the Monkey King is also a demon Immortal. He sought the immortality of his whole monkeydom -- he wanted monkeys to live forever and sit with the deities in heaven. Even in his monkey form, he was a kind ruler yet an aggressive and show-off war opponent. In his pursuit of Immortality, he learned the ways of humans, the Sages and the Immortals. Hence, the Monkey King is a demon with human and humane characteristics. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

This is why I'm so :wub: with this drama. There are so many ways things can go south for all the demons and humans and so many possible endings! 

I really love how despite her lonely world & how badly she's been treated by her own kind (family and friends) SM still loves the world enough to want to save it. 

Qn though: how many episodes are there in total? Netflix says it'll only be up to 16, the original post same but Wikipedia lists it as 20 Episodes. :blink: thanks in advance!! 

• Like 7

“I couldn’t leave you to disappear. Before that, my heart will break into pieces. So you are not going to die. Unless I do.”

Does he even realize what he is saying? All the implications his words has? Because he is basically telling Seon Mi that she will only die in a world in which he doesn’t exist anymore and won’t be able to protect her. That he won’t allow her to die as long he lives or he will die trying. And even without the GGG, if she were to die his heart would shatter anyway and he would probably follow her to death; and like Opheus his Eurydice he’d to try save her from the underworld.

3jwIpoW.jpg

“I told you, didn’t I? You can’t die until I die.”

Oh Gong repeats it so often, as if her dying can’t even be an option because her death would kill him. And it makes sense because her death might be the worst thing to happen to him because if death is the one thing Son Oh Gong can’t defeat what can be more terrible for someone so powerful to become utterly powerless to protect the person he cares and loves the most in the world? What is there left to live for in a world without Seon Mi?

5AO23yZ.jpg

OG wants so desperately to believe SM’s words that he wants to make another contract with her! My poot heart! He has fallen deep and hard, hasn’t he? Her promise to remove the bracelet and let him stab her as a punishment for betraying him clearly stops him in his tracks and for all the talk of the mermaid wanting to kill the human who betrayed her, it becomes clear that Oh Gong wouldn’t probably be able to go through with it himself.

9G5WCn9.jpg

• Like 14

Guest Sleepietake2

LSG looks really good in that red coat. It nice and flashy for our Monkey King. :wub: I do miss his fur coats though.  I kinda like how the other characters are pairing up to help solve these cases and not just SJ. Although, we could use more OTP moments without angst please. Haha

One thing that I thought was weird, is how MW was trying to sabatoge OG and SJ relationship.  Although, it must’ve been delightful for MW to watch it felt counter intuitive to his goals.  SJ and OG would be more successful at defeating bad spirits and etc if they were getting along and working together. Instead, in the entire episode 8, he was trying to disrupt their relationship and causing misunderstandings so that SJ was angry and hurt at OG.  That really doesn’t make sense, since it’ll prolong his chances at becoming a deity.  

I’m going to just assume it’s cause boys are petty and doesn’t know how to look at the big picture. Lol

He deliberately aims for the whiskey (and, you know, he does because OG is capable of burning down worlds and can do virtually everything) not only because Seon Mi chose it but because it represents her. 

XsA5vJN.jpg

One of Oh Gong’s character traits has been his bipolarity regarding his feelings towards Seon Mi - I want to eat you, I want your phone number; I want to kill you, I want to protect you; I want you to disappear, I can’t bear if you disappeared,… His previous indecisiveness about the choice of alcohol represented this bipolarity; and though, it may be subtle Son Oh Gong has made his choice now. HE CHOOSES WHISKEY - HE CHOOSES SEON MI. And how blissfully happy he is about it! His previous “I want to eat you” has now become “I want you” and “I want you to love me”, even if he doesn’t say it out loud.

Hdcm4Fz.jpg

• Like 17