[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

5 minutes ago, astrobooy said:

There are few negative remarks that ive seen in nb . But i dont think those commenter are watching the drama lul . And its not rly a big article so~ 

It's the article criticizing Bora's acting which isn't big or necessary since she is only one of the very small supporting roles.

I think the rating will go up again once  the drama got into their actions. These past 2 weeks have been a transitioned of the otp feelings.  It's common for a drama to go up and down in rating esp in the middle.

I can't wait for that politician guy to show his true self. The way he caress buja's pic is creepy. Are you sure it's hust a hit and run thing without any mistery? I think he laid eyes on her maybe trying to be her sponsor or somethinf

• Like 10

@astrobooy @briseis Thank you for you confort :) I know for cable drama the rating scale is different and I remember the time when having 1% was considered very good (like during the Flower Boy series), but I think for Hwayugi tvN really invested a lot and they expect this to do really well. The success of Another Oh Hae Young, for example, was unexpected, it wasn’t a big budget drama and the female lead wasn’t still so well know before the project. But here we have the Hong sisters, Lee Seung Gi, Cha Seung Won, Oh Yeon Seo, Lee El, Hong Ki and three different PDs for CG effects. So I think they invested much more and they have high expectations for this, maybe at Goblin level. As for me, being realistic I would like this to have an average 7/8% ratings, because I think it really deserves it. I’ve loved very much shows that weren’t really popular before, so I’m not personally swayed by the ratings. But still I hope it will do better because the people working at this are doing such a wonderful job and, being selfish, also for myself, because I love this genre, so I hope, being well received, Hwayugi will bring us more drama of the same genre :D 

Anyway, like I said, we are still in the middle and there’s still room to grow 

*crosses fingers*

• Like 10

Guest norakim

I'm worried about BuJa. She died (again) in front of that one dude. It doesn't seem like he's a demon, but that could be a red herring. What is he going to do with her? Without SamJang's blood,  BuJa can't come back.   

I'm worried about Buja too... she collapsed because Sunmi collapsed

I think they are really connetced more than we think. She knows Sunmi's feelings... her life and death depends on Sunmi too.

If Sunmi is no longer samjang, Buja's will die.. no?

why did she have to collapsed on that guy's arm. What will he do f he found her not breathing...

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Thanks to yesterday's wedding spoiler, I was totally braced for the incoming angst. But it still hurt :bawling:

I have so much to say, so I'm just going to list some random thoughts, predictions, and some analysis in no particular order.

• Sam Jang (SJ) has ceased to exist. At first, I was thinking that if the storybook Monster (M) is the new SJ and she can control the GGG, then the demons would just move on. But MW said he can no longer feel SJ's presence and the Bu Ja died again so it's okay to assume that SJ just doesn't exist right now. It won't be long though, since they need SJ to avert the coming apocalypse, they're going to get Seon Mi (SM) back.
  • I feel like the monsters power is only an illusion. She is trapping children souls in her storybooks but the physical bodies of those kids die. Like that girl who was supposed to climb the rope to heaven but in reality she feel off her balcony. In SM's case, she trapped her younger self with the ghost-seeing powers before she could become SJ, telling her she can have a normal life without her powers. In reality, if the younger SM really had her powers sealed then she would have never met Ma Wang and freed Oh Gong. Since both Ma Wang and Oh Gong remember SM then all she did was temporarily transfer her control over the GGG to the monster and her SJ blood has probably been suppressed temporarily.
  • I feel a case of Noble Idiocy is coming in the next few episodes. That scene in the preview where Oh Gong refuses to kiss SM. I know we all want to believe it's the monster shapeshifting as SM, but I think it's the real SM. I think that OG and SM are going to defeat the monster and then at the end of ep 10, SM is going to try to kiss OG to reaffirm their feelings or take control of the GGG and OG is going to refuse. He's probably thinking she'll be better off without him or some such nonsense when we all know she wouldn't last a day in this world as SJ without his protection. Until now, he's been trying to touch SM any chance he gets, holding hands and such, but now he's going to distance himself from her. (I don't want that to happen but I have a feeling it will:bawling:)
  • I loved that scene with Bu Ja and Oh Gong in the bathroom. I swear Bu Ja feels like SM and OG's teenage daughter trying to mediate between her parents. LOL
  • Their date today felt so strange to me, especially when they're out for a walk, trying to act like normal people. Here are two people who figuratively have the weight of the world on their shoulders. They are the world's only hope to avert an apocalypse and all they want is to be normal. For some reason, that scene just felt so melancholy to me. 
  • Sam Jang will remember everything after she wakes up. Based on the preview, I think the only change is that she is temporarily not SJ and has lost her control over the GGG.
  • I think there are going to be 20 episodes and not 16 because it just feels like we're at the midway point. All basic introductions of the important characters are done and all that is left is to see where it all goes. Also, we don't know much about the villain at this time. All we know is that he comes from a family of traitors turned liars. He accidentally killed a girl while he was drunk driving and instead of owning up to it, he hired thugs to bury the body and possibly get rid of Bu Ja's mother. Also, Nachal has only appeared in like two episodes so far. I hope they've paced this drama well because I'm going to be pissed if they pull another Scarlet Heart Ryeo here. The story is too good for this kind of nonsense.
  • I really really really hope that OG realizes his feeling for SM without the GGG, though I've learned to lower my expectations for this couple. The Hong sisters push and pull game is at another level with this drama. One minute I'm floating on cloud nine and the next I'm in pulled down to the 18th level of hell. My heart just can't take it.:bawling::bawling:

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Something to cheer us up

I think they decide to seal the GGG really tight this time :tongue::tongue::tongue:

O my gosh, I can't wait to watch that scene, SOG and JSM third Kiss ❤️

Edited by stroppyse
Please do not quote images. Thanks.
  • Like 9

Did anyone else notice Oh Gong has made a path to Sureomdong from Seon Mi's house? 

Screenshot_2.png

It has always been there. This is a screenshot from ep 2. LOOK AT THE POSTER!

Screenshot_83.png

I guess this supports the theory that he's always been keeping an eye on Seon Mi since she was little.

• Like 18
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

@haymochi, the stills you posted had better be from after they do away with the bookseller demon. Especially with some of the speculation here that it might be the bookseller taking on SM's appearance in order to fool OG. :(

Given all the warnings about how SM-OG are ill-fated and destined for one to kill the other, I am very curious how the drama will treat this OTP. I just hope it's not an ending that is sad for either one of the OTP. The other thing I worry about is whether it will be a reincarnation ending, for example, OG dies for SM, and then they both re-incarnate to be together as mortals or something. Or SM dies to protect OG, and then OG waits for SM to reincarnate, e.g. the Goblin or Gu Family Book ending. I really dislike reincarnation endings. :(

yeah i feel like reincarnation endings are quite half richard simmons to not annoy the fans but its basically a bad ending. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

So my theory regarding Sam Jang is she's a bit like harry potter- the way she became Sam Jang and will also no longer be Sam Jang after her mission is she's carrying Sam Jang's soul. The bookstore demon didn't really take her younger soul, she took the Sam Jang soul so SM is just herself again. Which is how the bookstore demon gets control of the bracelet but OG still has his contract with SM. I suspect we'll get to see how much of his behavior has been really because of the bracelet vs because he truly loves her by how he acts toward the bookstore demon.

• Like 8

Hwayugi: Episode 9

by javabeans

hwayugi9-00041.jpg

Big changes are ahead as our characters face a game-changer, which opens us up for a wide-open future. Sure, love is all-powerful and compelling, but what happens when the magic threatens to fade and challenge fate? What is fate, even, if it can be changed? And if it can be diverted once, surely it can be diverted again… right?

read more http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/01/hwayugi-episode-9/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

puuuff this was a tough episode, this episode shows us how different SJ and OG are, while SJ is longing for an happy ordinary life, OG is the great sage, who values his migtyness and immortality. Only with great love and sacrifices would their love work out somehow, and this "new owner" demon will be their first step to hopefully face their fears and openly admitting their love without the GGG influence.

maybe its true that their fate is death, but by maybe trough death could their love be permitted by the heavens? first they need to work on addmitting their feeling tho'.

am I the only one who think SJ wedding dress is stunning? and what would happen to BJ?

• Like 6