[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

50 minutes ago, MsMinnieFran said:

I admit that there is a part that is curious to see what skinship between DH and JA would look like..

But there is another part of me that knows that if it actially happened, i'd probably collapse from the shock of it.

Just this once, since we may not actually get to see anything, could you please indulge me and share what you wish to see?  I'm not going to lie, if the show ends without some kind of skinship, I would be a little more than disappointed.  I would take even just a hug.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

What a masterpiece this drama is!!  Episode 12 is so nuanced with layers and it’s depths conveyed even in the tiniest of glances or facial expressions.

DH, yes, has feelings for JA..complicated...yes, but nonetheless, strong enough to have him drawn to her again and again, no matter how many other difficulties he has..her presence does something for him that no one else has ever done.  He is seen as who he is and liked (loved) and appreciated for who he really is.  A deeper satisfying love would be hard to come by because, in fact, isn’t that real love.  Not the status, not what someone can buy for you, not a fancy title, a big car, etc,  JA loves that he always saw her as a person and included her, etc. 

The ship has sailed for me!  This is DH breaking away from the cheating wife that he wasn’t in love with for some time.  Where does he look...he looks for JA.  He takes her to his FAMILY.  Hummm.   She is warmly received, they walk her home and she is so moved by their gestures of kindness that she bows and says thank you.  We all know how hard that thank you was for JA...she is learning to trust again!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

WTF?! Dong-Hoon's legal team thinks Ji-An ain't pretty??<_< Are you kidding me?! If she's ugly then I'm a freaking potato LoL!

I found that whole scene very funny and revealing. DH is not an open person and of course professional stakes are high, his personal life is in shambles - wife cheating, may or may not get divorced; he has spent time with a girl that no one can understand the appeal of! So even when he tried to explain something they were like, no! you cannot say that! ('did you sleep with her, if you did we can make it go away', 'don't look like that, it looks like you like her!', 'thank god she's not pretty, or we'd be doomed'!)

8 hours ago, SeGafanlady said:

I saw a shy smile of our pitiful Dong Hoon for the first time.. being flattered by a girl who just saved his image in the Board Meeting is certainly a highlight.. like how one by one his problems will eventually calming... he will oneday manage to freely fly his heart and mind to wherever he wants and to whoever he chooses..

“If we meet again in the future.. will you be happy?” that means there will be a time span.. 

DH will appointed Director soon with majority Directors and even the President of the company... talking about that poor old childless chaebol who likes DH a lot..

That bar scene was beautiful - in two sentences both acknowledge each other's strengths, and then Ji-An reassures him that he is a beautiful person. He was so happy and sad and relieved to hear it, it broke my heart, I don't know about others. 

Since the main inner and external conflicts have been resolved for both protagonists, I want a clear arrow ending - not an open-ended, insinuated, let's circle the block one more time and have a drink at the bar kind of ending. Life is all about making tough decisions. What's his choice, what's her?

I don't see the need for a time lapse of any sort - what do the writers want? a makeover for Ji-An? - the way the drama has gone this far, soon enough DH will find he is still trapped, miserable and lonely and misses her - and he has lots of avenues to check for her: the wise janitor, the grandma, the video gamer - unless he starts waiting every night at the friend's bar for her to appear! (being as passive as ever)

Of course, there was a huge issue / scandal over just her appointment and his interest in her, so he cannot hookup with her without giving it all up - and that's not an option if he has to come out as a responsible adultish 'winner'. (silver lining: Darcy didn't give a damn what others thought.....)

Maybe the production is halted because sadistic writer / director are exhausted about what to do?

This drama will be the (organic, life-affirming, brave) death of us all! 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, akhenaten said:

Funny how some people don’t see the deep connection between Dong Hoon and Ji An.  :huh:

The word soulmate is an often used cliché....  It is the ability to know what the other feels without having to speak, just a small gesture is enough... It is something that often requires time and deep understanding of each other.  Ji-an and Ajusshi seem to be that, despite their great differences in age, and education, and upbringing.  They talk without speaking, communicate without verbalizing, express with barely any word.

They don't need any physical contact to demonstrate their feelings for each other....   So casual observers will not notice this connection.   People say that it takes two to tango.... one can say that it take two join...in the mind.  This is not lust...this is much deeper than that!

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, MsMinnieFran said:

I admit that there is a part that is curious to see what skinship between DH and JA would look like..

But there is another part of me that knows that if it actially happened, i'd probably collapse from the shock of it.

Hahahah @MsMinnieFran :D  If that ever happened, I’m sure Dong Hoon would be very sweet and gentle with Ji An.  He would’ve learned from his previous relationship with Yoon Hee. And she would be tentative but trusting nonetheless. :wub:

But seriously, if they were to enter into an actual romantic relationship, I wouldn’t want to see their intimate moments onscreen.  Well, except for a kiss or two and a bit of handholding maybe, but not the full-blown intimacies.  It would seem like a violation of something so precious. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

I'm still recovering from 11. Not sure I'm emotionally ready for 12 yet. :cold_sweat:

So, to share what I learnt while in Seoul.

Everyone, especially the 30-something and 40-something noonas, are cray cray crazy over Jung Hee in Pretty Noona. He's like the hottest star right now.

I've always loved Ahn Pan Seok's dramas, he just has such a unique directing style (and great music) but for some reason I'm just not into Pretty Noona. It's ooh squeal lovely, but, but, it hasn't dug its claws into me like My Ahjussi. I mean, I'm really glad that Ahn Pan Seok's dramas have finally found some sort of mainstream success--but still.

I wonder what it says of me that I prefer the pain and suffering of My Ahjussi to the fluff of Pretty Noona :o

I asked a writer friend about the My Ahjussi controversy. Everyone's heard of that too, apparently. It's a really sensitive issue. For many of these 30/40 something year old women, they look at My Ahjussi, and it's their reality right there. What they go home to. The 'loser' ahjussis you see there,  those are the same slobs they deal with at home every day with all their flaws and problems. So that's not what they want to watch. Who wants to watch a show about how tough their lives are? I can empathise, and understand why they'd rather watch Pretty Noona.

The other thing my friend mentioned is My Ahjussi is also politically sensitive. For many in the arts/cultural scene, it reminds them of the Park Geun Hye era where many artists were suppressed and women's rights stepped on. Because men look at the show, without watching it, and think, oh this is a middle-aged male fantasy of finding a cute younger girl to go out with, even though it's so far from the truth. Basically, many of the women who felt wronged during Park Geun Hye's time are wondering--why are you giving these sleazebags a voice, a platform to justify themselves?

But, the female friends I spoke to who have actually watched the show really love it. I think -- and it reminds me of something Obama must have said once about black fathers. If the problem starts with the men, then we must first understand what the problem really is--what is the reason for their aggression, their depression, their anger? Only then, can we move forward.

• Like 9
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

The word soulmate is an often used cliché....  It is the ability to know what the other feels without having to speak, just a small gesture is enough... It is something that often requires time and deep understanding of each other.  Ji-an and Ajusshi seem to be that, despite their great differences in age, and education, and upbringing.  They talk without speaking, communicate without verbalizing, express with barely any word.

They don't need any physical contact to demonstrate their feelings for each other....   So casual observers will not notice this connection.   People say that it takes two to tango.... one can say that it take two join...in the mind.  This is not lust...this is much deeper than that!

Agree @tiger457_stv.

it reminds me of a word that was coined in the American sci-fi series Star Trek: The Next Generation referring to this kind of a bond.  The word was “imzadi”.  On the surface level, it means Beloved but the deeper meaning is someone who was the first to touch one’s heart, soul and spirit and because of this bond, the communication between two people is instinctive. It’s from a sci-fi, yes, but it perfectly describes what these two people have. :)

• Like 8

Ah, so GI really did like JA while his father was beating and abusing her and her grandma.  Still can't see them getting together since he has physically abused her in the past. If she stays with him that would be very controversial . But they are two severely damaged individuals, he was also destroyed as a human by his abusive father. 

I hope Jung Hee can snap herself out of the depression she is in.  She is such a pretty woman,  and she has a business. I can't believe she doesn't have male suitors. But perhaps she is carrying that torch for the monk and turns men away. 

I was happy and relieved that the terrible pain between YH and DH finally came out. This was the first time that I felt that JiAn listening in was a bit too voyeuristic - it was too intimate for another person to hear.  I am wondering if DH will ever find out how much she heard.    And yeah, I knew they were showing us DH mopping and washing to drive it home, what a great husband he was. Yes he did clean the house and buy stuff for her, but then he apparently just ditched her and ate his his Ma's  - doesn't even sound like he bothered to ask her over.   She makes of a point of saying how good she tried to be to his mother because he knew how much he cared for her. I think DH does have extremely close bonds with his family. He might as well have bought a big house and just moved in with them all.  He is very old fashioned that way. But it is surprising that this is the first time they really had it out, when they have been married for 20 years!  That is a long time to hold all that it. 

And, now that JiAn, is no longer working for JY -  is she finally going to ditch the eavesdropping?  She has no reason to be listening now.   But JY knows about.  I think JY is going to use that info to hurt DH.  He will tell DH she was working for him and listening to everything and reading his texts etc.  That will be an eye opener.  I hope JiAn beats him to it though and tells him first.

• Like 5

When JungHee looped her arm through JiAn's a tiny hand reached up and gave my heart a quick squeeze.

It was so satisfying to see JiAn have community support that it seems she had never had before.

• Like 10

I haven’t watched the subbed Episode 12 yet but I’ve seen clips, one of them being the scene when Ji An arrives and sees Kwang Il sitting on her doorstep.  Apparently, because it was confirmed that he did like her once when they were children before she killed his father, some people actually want them to have the loveline.

Duh. I can’t believe there are people who would advocate this development.  Is it because he’s the only one in MA who most closely fits the typical KDrama romantic interest description?  Or because the actor has starred in one or two IU music videos as a love interest?  Kwang Il might be a victim of his father’s abuse as well and he might have cared for Ji An, but that doesn’t change the fact that he has in turn become an abuser.  To put Ji An in a relationship with him will not change that abusive tendency.  What Kwang Il needs right now is not romance but counseling and therapy.  

And it doesn’t make sense that Ji An would settle for him just because there’s little hope of her having her Ahjussi in the end.  It would be so out of character for a young woman who’s been fiercely independent for so long to suddenly settle for a relationship with whoever is available.  To me, that would give the wrong signal to the viewers and would be the ultimate cop-out for the show.  It would tell everyone that they have succumbed to the pressure.  

I would rather see Ji An as alone and independent for the rest of her life if the only option to her is someone like Kwang Il.  She has been through so much abuse. What she needs is to find inner peace.  

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3

• My Mister was ranked 1st for cable tv programs 2018.04.26

yD41SbL.jpg

• My Mister was ranked 1st weekly Content Power Index (CPI) for April 9-15

Source http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/kwave/2018/04/24/3001000000AEN20180424002400315.html

• My Mister was Ranked 1st in Good Data 3rd week of April

Source

For episode 11

Fans Flooded IU with Praise for Her Recent Emotional-Heartbreaking Crying Scene on [My Mister]

http://kstarlive.com/Fans-Flooded-IU-with-Praise-for-Her-Recent-Emotional-Heartbreaking-Crying-Scene-on--My-Ahjussi--5955722

0VYcTqQ.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Short ramblings about certain aspects of episode 12, and the preview for episode 13:

Yoon-hee and Ji-an entered a temporary cooperation à la the proverb "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" to stop Joon-young from ruining Dong-hoon's chances at the directorship. While this 'partnership' was foreshadowed in a previous episode, I felt that it was still uncomfortable to witness because the two share such strong animosity towards each other, albeit for good reason. Then, Yoon-hee wept when Ji-an replied in the affirmative to her final question. I suppose that Yoon-hee was upset because she had never imagined that a murderer like Ji-an would see the goodness within Dong-hoon, and thus render so much more support to him than she had ever done during these last few months.

"The way up to your house is similar to that hill, the hill that I climbed with you on my back when you passed out from my father's beatings. I can't make up my mind. 'Should I kill her or should I just die myself?'"
Assuming this is accurate, Kwang-il and Ji-an must have known each other at least from the time when Ji-an's mother accumulated her debt, if they had not already met prior to this. Whether Kwang-il actually has or had romantic feelings towards Ji-an remains unclear; this may be inferred at best. Still, when the two were younger, he definitely had felt guilty enough over his father's beatings of her to try and care for her. (I try to make a distinction between guilt and romance here, because I believe that it is possible for one to be independent of the other.) It is then no wonder that Kwang-il would subsequently develop a troubling ambivalence towards Ji-an when she kills his father, the source of her torment, and essentially transfers this violent 'responsibility' to Kwang-il himself.

Finally, I'm impressed at how commanding Ji-an's presence can be when the situation arises. That penultimate scene of her surrounded by the directors (and the chairman!) made that especially prominent :o Then that final scene with Dong-hoon and Ji-an in the restaurant was the icing on the cake. Dong-hoon sees how courageous Ji-an has been in making a mark, be it in standing up to her problems or navigating her way through office politics and the numerous black suits. Meanwhile Ji-an knows that Dong-hoon is a good man through and through, even as he does not necessarily see that himself.

Episode 13 will show how Ji-an has to book it out of Saman E&C before she is forced to deal with the impending fallout from her previous plans. Joon-young's threat of revealing her wiretap looms over her; I doubt he will go down without a good fight. Director Yoon suspects, with good reason, that something is amiss: why would the people who once despised Ji-an get so chummy with her this quickly? (On this note, I speculate that Chief Song's declaration of interest in Ji-an is an attempt to protect Dong-hoon and divert Director Yoon's attention.) It seems that Director Park has gotten onto Ki-bum's (and by association, Ji-an's) tail, too; this would potentially reveal Ji-an's previous dealings with Joon-young. And Dong-hoon may struggle to defend Ji-an's dark past in front of his superiors, "in this kind of work culture, where people treat you based on your background." It looks like Ji-an will not fight to conceal her crimes against Dong-hoon and Director Park if everything comes to light; instead, she'll be far away once everything that she'd built in that neighbourhood crumbles behind her, leaving people like Dong-hoon to pick up the pieces.

(I am also excited to see IU with her hair down once again. It was a great look back in episode 2, heh.)

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Perhaps my favorite scene from episode 11.  Someone finally sensed that what this man really needed now was a comforting hug.  This mirrored an earlier scene in episode 4 where he hugged his younger brother in an effort to calm his rage and saying the same thing.  That it was not a big deal. :bawling:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This. I just loved this scene!  Gyeom-duk hugging Dong Hoon from behind.  For all those who’ve been looking for your usual KDrama romance tropes, well, here you are.  A back hug! Just look at that love in Gyeom-duk’s eyes for Dong Hoon. Heheheeh.

but seriously, the look in Dong Hoon’s face here just breaks my heart!  I can so sympathize with him! 

If I was never a Lee Sun Kyun fan before because I never heard of him, I’m a certified fan now.  The man is an amazing actor!  :)

• Like 12
  • LOL 1

6 hours ago, akhenaten said:

I haven’t watched the subbed Episode 12 yet but I’ve seen clips, one of them being the scene when Ji An arrives and sees Kwang Il sitting on her doorstep.  Apparently, because it was confirmed that he did like her once when they were children before she killed his father, some people actually want them to have the loveline.

Duh. I can’t believe there are people who would advocate this development.  Is it because he’s the only one in MA who most closely fits the typical KDrama romantic interest description?  Or because the actor has starred in one or two IU music videos as a love interest?  Kwang Il might be a victim of his father’s abuse as well and he might have cared for Ji An, but that doesn’t change the fact that he has in turn become an abuser.  To put Ji An in a relationship with him will not change that abusive tendency.  What Kwang Il needs right now is not romance but counseling and therapy.  

And it doesn’t make sense that Ji An would settle for him just because there’s little hope of her having her Ahjussi in the end.  It would be so out of character for a young woman who’s been fiercely independent for so long to suddenly settle for a relationship with whoever is available.  To me, that would give the wrong signal to the viewers and would be the ultimate cop-out for the show.  It would tell everyone that they have succumbed to the pressure.  

I would rather see Ji An as alone and independent for the rest of her life if the only option to her is someone like Kwang Il.  She has been through so much abuse. What she needs is to find inner peace.  

Nontheles, kang il, is far for Jian standard to be her love interest in all aspect.:huh:

Don't kid yourself with such idea, dear my ahjussi viewers.-_-

• Like 4

I believe the truth of YH's version of her marriage to DH.

If DH told his version, I would believe it too.

I sympathize with them both because at one point they loved each other deeply; I don't think they would have married if  they had not.

21 hours ago, joowonie said:

I am a bit puzzled bc for the same reasons you claim to not see a romantic connection, the things you listed are seen as the foundation of love and attraction.  You should be attracted to someone for who they are and the physical part will ensue. If we can clearly see the “sexual desire” and not so much the connection and respect than it is nothing more than lust-JY and YH’s relationship.

The word claim seems a little accusatory as if I'm transgressing by stating something without evidence to back it up.  I find that surprising since I am only speaking of my impression and not mandating that anyone see or believe as I do. If my reading of the term is the result of a dialect/connotation disconnect,  then . . .

Unfortunately, I can't really help you with your puzzlement; clearly our experiences and frames of reference differ. 

I sometimes have a sense of connection, respect, affection,  and deep caring without sexual interest towards people.  I tend to call those people friends or family of the heart.  When those feeling are combined with sexual desire I call those people lovers, boyfriends, life partners. 

Love/attraction comes as it comes.  There are people whose relationship proceed as you outline.  There are people who are first sexually attracted to someone and then learn to love them.  There are still others who are sexually attracted to someone, never learns to love them [or even like them] but stay for the sex. People are as they are, live as they do.  There isn't one path that suits everyone.  Or if there is, I've never come across it. 

• Like 6

After seeing next week's (or next next week's) preview:

Spoiler

JA & her backpacking... she's leaving? 

It got me thinking what that means and how DH may find out about JA spying/listening to him all these time.

I'm thinking from the preview,

Spoiler

DH, nicely dress, got promoted? and invited his team to a fancy celebratory dinner? but JA never showed up? And what-his-name crashes the party and spill the beans of him hiring JA to destroy him/spying on him.

DH went to find JA to confirm but she left already?

I wouldn't mind this open-ended ending...

As many has pointed out, what DH/JA has isn't romance but really soulmate type of connection (or maybe what some called "it's above friends but not quite lovers").  And I keep thinking even if DH has strong romantic feelings for JA, DH will not act on it because that how his wife treated him and it caused him so much pain, he will not do the same thing to her.

Anyways, I'm curious to hear what you guys think/how DH will find out about JA's spying on him?

• Like 5

Watching episodes with subs. Hahahaha @ JY in ep 11 when he practically digs his own grave by mentioning the pictures. Haha I love you JA at least you had your pre revenge by tailing him and making him paranoid even if he ended up doing same to you. The ending had me crying when JAs lip was quivering from choking back a sob as she signed (quite well if you ask me, I remember reading back in thread that IU got lessons and made sure she did an accurate job at it, I am just so impressed by her professionalism and hard work. Even the emotion in this scene) ‘I’m happy I’m close to someone like him.’ It’s like she was crying for him and all his pain but also for the fact that he’s made such a positive impact in her life and she feels blessed to have met him. That’s the kind of feels I got from this incredible performance. 

That subway scene after they catch the last train. my delulu Mind when DH said she likes him because she’s looking for comfort in another pitiful HUMAN being was like ohhhhh so that’s why you called it a human story PDnim. Let me just read between the lines and catch the hints your throwing that these two are endgame. 

UGHHH!! GI is SOOO thirsty, might as well call him dehydrated and it’s not because he’s drunk. Someone get him an IV drip please!

JH answering KHs question about development in relationship andsaying it happens out of the blue is her putting fuel to the passionate fire in my shippers heart.

to make matters more fiery, DH just has to be on the prowl for JA while ahjussi give a recap of the moviesque scene between his lil bro and most likely soon to be baby mama. DH, you are not doing a good job at not giving me hope about you two.

plot twist from preview: JAs leaving with backpack to go join monestary as a monkess 

• Like 6
  • LOL 4

:wub:

WHEN YOU SEE  THE  LONGING  BETWEEN THESE TWO FROM ACROSS THE ROAD....

Me :  This is so soft...  DH & JA  is heart, heart....

loves.png

The Antis :   This is NOT romance... No romance !  you got that ! :angry:

Me :  You're  mean.... 

cute_girl.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Thanks 2