[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Episode 11.

Random thoughts.

1-Park Dong Hoon: What a deeply unhappy person. If the Monk is to be believed, DongHoon's lack of joy is sustained and longstanding.  He is like a person who has forgotten how to be happy, if he ever knew how.  It was a jolt to the system to hear the Monk say that DongHoon earnest, joyless, unfulfilling approach to life was what cause him to flee to the monastery.  That interlude in the monastery turned the drama from a "family drama" into a social critique of the Korean way of work and life.

2-The "romance no romance" conversation seems inconsequential since the writer will do what the writer wants, or as some would believe, what the writer is pressured by the netizen to do. But to help fill the space, I will say that I still don't see romantic love/sexual interest coming from DongHoon.  I'm also not sure that I see romantic love coming from JiAn. 

I must accept that my experience of the drama is mediated by the folks doing the subtitling and my lack of knowledge of Korean culture might cause me to miss a lot of what is going on. From DongHoon I see deep caring.  From JiAn I see deep connection, respect, affection and love.  I don't see sexual desire.

3- I think JiAn is too naturally suspicious to not have been taping her conversation with DY.  I think she will sacrifice herself for DongHoon.  The best way to do it is to do what DY tells her to do and then tell everyone he told her to do it.  If JiAn does not corporate with DY he can use other people or other means to bring Donghoon down.  By doing as he says, and doing it in a way that guarantee that she fails, she can be a shield for Donghoon.  The problem is that shield are often damaged or destroyed when they are successful in doing their duty.

DongHoon and JiAn relationship in pictures

a- The kiss, per the female cheater, makes clear that JiAn initiated the kiss. [jiAn's picture set up]

b- All Donghoon has ever done is treated her as an equal member of his tribe. [Dy's spy's pictures]

c- Donghoon physically rejecting JiAn when she came on to him strongly. [JiAn's picture set up]

JiAn on purpose and by accident makes those pictures work on DongHoon's behalf.

4- I had been pulling for DongHoon and YH marriage to be repaired.  But today really made me doubt that it is possible for the marriage to be saved.  It is not the infidelity.  Women have been forgiving men for this kind of transgression for eons I have no issue with a man learning to forgive this kind of betrayal and salvaging his family.  The reason I now doubt that the marriage will survive is the public nature of Donghoon's humiliation.

We have seen a few circumstances that make clear that DongHoon will take big nasty unfair lumps and let it go, SO LONG AS THERE ARE NO WITNESS.  He told he contractor as much when he said he too had been hit, and he could deal with it because his family did not know.

The one stipulation DongHoon had for DY was to make sure that YH did not know that he knows about the affair.  Now that YH knows DongHoon knows it actually opens the possibility of honesty and true reconciliation between them.

BUT the fact that the entire upper echelon of the organization can surmise what happened despite DY richard simmons explanation that no sensible adult would believe knowing DongHoon, I'm not sure that DongHoon can stay in a marriage that everyone knows that is wife thought so little of him as to have and affair with that charmless weasel.

5- Interesting to consider why Monk and Jung-Hee's story is a part of the drama.  How does it inform the main story. What does it tell us about life in South Korea for middle-age people with much of their potential behind them having never been fully realized.

If there is romance in the drama, I wonder if Monk and Jung-Hee's story is meant to serve as one option to deal with love when it doesn't fit into what you want for your life.

6- Lovely directing/costuming choice:  Having DongHoon wear blue sweatshirt so that he could almost disappear into the wall after he heard YH speaking to DY.

7- Nice directing/Sound design choice: El Condor Pasa.  So beautiful and so good a signifier of a beautiful loneliness. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

engineer DH is very confused right now.  He truly miss  Ji-an (but he knows he is 24 years older than her hence his immense scruple is trying to deflect how he feels... and he is trying various way to rationalize what she is to him.... a friend, some one he understand and trust, whom for some reason he gets restless when she is not there, he's comfortable when she is there...happiness when they can share a drink or a meal, even when they don't talk.  But she is a kid, how can he feel any more than friendship....(he probably looks down on old men dating young women)... so he suppress and rationalize it.

I finally watched the subbed version. When he was asking her about the slippers, it triggered me on what actually DH trying to convey to JA when he asked :

1) Do you think I am not good enough to receive slippers from you? - on a standpoint of a viewer like me, that slippers representing JA's feelings. I am quite agitated he is sending mixed signal to JA just because he himself is confused and conflicted. So, when he asked her to buy him a pair of new slippers - it's like telling her that I am accepting that you like me but I can't acknowledged it openly. 

2) When DH said "Let's do that. I beg you to do that." - This may sound like a simple line but the meaning is deep. He still want her in his life. She was clear that she wanted to disappear from his life but he insisted for her to stay, even when he could not reciprocate her feelings, he still want her to be in his life. When he just had that confrontation with JY, he was looking out for JA which is clear to say that she is the source of his strength and someone he needs in his life.

Someone mentioned that DH always waiting for JA at the crossroads. Divorce seems impending since his friend at the bar hinting that the divorce is either to happen now or 10 years later. And DH's monk friend said it's time for DH to live his life following his heart and DH said he is trying to hold down his heart that wants to fly away. I hope DH will eventually follow his heart.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @SadieSmith and @PhiloSophie for your warm welcome!

Wow, this episode 11 had everything! It felt like the next to last episode since it had so much going on. I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it yet but I especially loved,

- youngest brother checking his phone seeing if he got a text from the actress like a high schooler. He is in love!

- the PUNCH!

-the apology then punching the door and DH saying 'you made me become nothing'

-the monk hugging DH and telling him it is okay to be selfish

-the monk sitting in the truck outside of JH's bar

-my second favorite moment: 'Buy my a new pair of slippers!'   I actually got up and cheered at this point. I also kept thinking buy him a new pair of thongs. he-he

-my most favorite moment: when Jian said that she was HAPPY. Oh that went straight to my heart!

It scared me though when JA told JY 'should I sleep with him? I could get him drunk first' and JY responded 'go ahead and try it'

Only thing missing was the scene of JA meeting the gang at the bar. I guess next episode?

I thought the ship was sinking during his talk with JA about not firing her but I kept thinking about the monk telling DH that it is okay to be selfish. 5 more ep for DH to be selfish and board this ship.

Edited by popai5
  • Like 8

While things Are crumbling with the wife....DH looks for, and keeps, JA on his radar.  At this most intense time of DH’s life after the wife made things come to a head with her “I’m sorry” things just got real for DH.  It’s painful but necessary that DH must actually come to terms with his real feelings about his wife’s affair.   What does he do afterwards..he ..makes sure JA is still in his life.... even after her crazy in your face confession ...he makes her understand she is not going anywhere right now....until her contract is up at least.   The slipper thing, yeah, it is not a gift you accept from your employee who loves you romantically but DH wants the slippers from JA.  

DH likes JA and my observation is that JA would fit in with his neighborhood and family a lot better that the lawyer wife who appears not to mesh well with his family after all these years.  She is uncomfortable and unable to relate to those blue collar people.  I want to say that she appears to look upon them as necessary bothers and unrelatable.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, MsMinnieFran said:

I feel like JA is like that pair of slippers to DH. He is afraid to wear her in public, but he doesn't want anyone to take her away.

LOL... I can’t with this comment! Hopefully there are enough instances to prove that DH does not think of JA as a “pretty daughter/sister” **double puke!**

• Like 8
  • LOL 5

7 hours ago, Ayame said:

Ratings from Episode 1-11:

Date Episode Nielsen Korea (%) TNmS (%)
Nationwide Seoul
2018-03-21 01 3.923 4.467 4.6
2018-03-22 02 4.133 4.786 4.1
2018-03-28 03 3.373 4.102 3.9
2018-03-29 04 3.611 3.851 4.3
2018-04-04 05 3.936 4.838 3.7
2018-04-05 06 4.038 4.468 4.6
2018-04-11 07 4.487 5.234 4.7
2018-04-12 08 5.313 5.671 4.6
2018-04-18 09 4.803 5.413 3.8
2018-04-19 10 5.824 6.472 5.6
2018-04-25 11 4.965 5.926 4.6

Considering that a new drama with two big names (Suits) premiered last night, maintaining this high rating was quite a feat. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, hushhh said:

From DongHoon I see deep caring.  From JiAn I see deep connection, respect, affection and love.  I don't see sexual desire.

I am a bit puzzled bc for the same reasons you claim to not see a romantic connection, the things you listed are seen as the foundation of love and attraction.  You should be attracted to someone for who they are and the physical part will ensue. If we can clearly see the “sexual desire” and not so much the connection and respect than it is nothing more than lust-JY and YH’s relationship.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

TVN 'My Uncle' is a popular OST song from viewers before the release of the music. Thanks to the viewers, we will release the original version along with the original song.

The TVN drama 'My Uncle' will release the 6th OST 'Rainbow is There' from the drama that Vincent Blue and O.When participated in today (26th).

CR: MBN Daily http://mbn.mk.co.kr/pages/news/newsView.php?news_seq_no=3516187

@africandramalover finally the right song and there are two versions!

• Like 12

I'll go ahead and ramble about episode 11. Please excuse me if I make any stretches and errors:

- It's funny how the directors don't think that Ji-an is 'pretty', while Dong-hoon had described her as such to his friend at the bar previously. Perhaps this adjective doesn't apply only to Ji-an's exterior but her inner self too? Dong-hoon is the one outsider who knows about Ji-an's filial piety and is thus able to see beauty in that, unlike the directors who only learn of Ji-an from that simple resume.

- Yes, Yoon-hee, I'm sure your room does offer some degree of privacy, but how strange it is that you could call Joon-young just like that when Dong-hoon is only one wall away?

- Ji-an did a damn good job of painting herself as a duplicitous mastermind in front of Joon-young; the immense difficulty she'd experienced in her life only makes it that much more believable that her one purpose in life is to ruin good men like Dong-hoon. She also raises the stakes extremely high by voicing out the possibility of her sleeping with Dong-hoon. That scenario would likely not happen (because she is not truly on Joon-young's side, and also because viewers might riot) but that remark was also out of left field.

- I hope that Joon-young's paranoia will play a huge part in his downfall; there's some satisfaction to be had from watching him possibly leak out more of his crimes to prying ears. I also wonder if he will enter a partnership with Kwang-il o___O

- When Dong-hoon asked Ji-an where the slippers had gone, I'd imagined that she'd also say something like, "Well, tell them that you threw them out because you'd never accept the feelings of a naive twenty-year-old girl (so you can show them just how righteous you are!)" This would have added an unexpected layer of complexity to an otherwise simple expression of gratitude, and possibly made Dong-hoon doubt Ji-an and her motives.

- "And then in 10 or 20 years, when I run into you again..." Oh, Dong-hoon, you tempt fate here! This opens up certain possibilities...

- Dong-hoon is probably raring to wear whatever pair of slippers Ji-an brings him next and parade it around the office for all to see. "Yeah, I'm on friendly terms with the lowly temp, and I want you all to be nice to her too! What are you going to do about that, eh?"

- Throughout this episode, we see Dong-hoon's disgust manifest in his closing himself off from Yoon-hee that much more than before. And then we see only one question in Yoon-hee's eyes whenever she looks at him: "Have I lost him already?" Finally, Yoon-hee lays out her infidelity before herself and Dong-hoon, finally breaking apart this fractured marriage. Dong-hoon is going to find it so, so difficult to forgive Ji-an if he ever finds out that she has been privy to this gratuitous rip in the image of his seemingly perfect life...

- Ji-an's tears at the end stem not only from having someone like Dong-hoon in her midst, but also from her knowledge of how such a good person can undergo so much suffering in private. Dong-hoon's situation is a stark reminder that life isn't fair at all. (When has life ever been fair, though? This is the reality that we have to face.)

Edited by Guest

K-DRAMA REACTION: MY AHJUSSI | EPISODE 10

Life has its own way of pushing people to be tough . My Ahjussi Ep 10 showed us that Lee Ji-an may still be young compared to the people around her  but we can all consider her a ssen unni (쎈언니). Let’s look at the three moments that she proved this to us, but first here’s a preview of what occurred in this chapter.
  • Like 4

Hey JA, just give to this ahjussi his slippers back okey, see he looks really pissed.

sweet.png

So petty this ahjussi... big-smile2-smiley.gif  oh better yet just replace it with cute expensive polkadot boxers , so he can shout instead in the neighborhood alley... "where are my boxers, what did you do with my boxers !!?" 

But seriously their conversation here...  made me see DH as someone who seems really confused at this point in his life.  And "confused" is not nice.

He has a most serious, crucial situation in his life right now (his wife's affair,  and that Director position he aspires for), why still add this matter about JA to his many concerns?  She already wants to leave, which i think is also for the best, but he seems stubborn to agree.

•  Is he tied to that commitment JA's grandma requested on him.. to be by JA's side?

•  Or is it just his nature to selflessly take care of people whom he thinks needs his help, it's like a role he always wanted to do

Hey DH, once you find out that JA has had connections with that sleazy JY,  take it easy on her okey,  remember it was you who told her to stay, take note of that.

------------------------------------------------

But can they not .....

Spoiler

Can they not... give her lines such as this... it doesn't sit well with me...

hayyy.png

JA character is just too awesome to resort to something like this.

N-oooooo way !

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

The highly anticipated two versions of OST Part 6 are here! The original version used in the drama is linked right below, while an alternate acoustic version plus a tiny something are in the tags. How are all the OSTs for this drama so good? I'm still trying to work my way around HTML formatting on here...

OST PART 6 (Band / Original ver)

OST PART 6 (Acoustic / Alternate ver)

The superior extended sequence in ep. 7

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, ninaanin said:

I've seen the raw episode (not every scene), so my interpretations come from their expressions and few words that I did understand. With that in mind, and if there is a kind of "schizophrenia" between the text and the direction, it is obvious that my vision is really wrong. 

However taking the risk of being mislead by the direction, my impressions (fed by delusions lol) from this episode stays the same, and in a way doesn't contradict your observations. 

From the moment that I became (delusional) sure about DH-JA feelings, I was convinced that DH, if one day he will acknowledge his feelings (to himself and/or to her), it would be at the end of episode 16. This because it doesn't make sense with his character to let this kind of feelings surfaces to his awareness. He is a man with strong will, a man who during years dominates and suffocates his wishes, impulses and desires, who doens't want to think about things that can shake/distube/question his life. In a way, he is metaphoricaly (and reversaly) a stoic monk.  

Currently, in this moment of his life, two things very disturbing came into his life: JA and his wife's affair. This two things put his life upside down. I think this two things has almost the same weight is his current state. Both things he would lik to avoid, but both things are impossible to be avoided, specially the affair. And, as the affair is now open, I think that it is normal that it occupies his mind more than JA, due also to others reasons. In a way, his marriage problems and office politics helps him to avoid think or understand this feelings. 

So to me, in this mess that he is living right now, it is more than natural that he puts his marriage first, and at the same time, tries to avoid JA (and his feelings) by treating it as nothing, trying to normalize it, to ignore it, like he was trying to do with the affair.  

However, in this episode, he kept looking for her, looking at her, in a way that - at least from my experience and cultural context - a man wouldn't do if he had be confessed by a girl that he hasn't any feelings. It is because this things that I still think DH unconsciously/unwillingly/unconfessedly loves her.

About his war against YJ, I think has much to do with the affair and YH. It is a way of vengeance. But I don't think that it necessarily means love for his wife. I think that it has more to do with a man-to-man thing. 

Finally, all above can mean nothing, just impressions and my delusions :)  

Good development (i am delulu too so of course lol)

But its true that his mind is focused on the affair, and so was yesterday episode. But like you said even tho it was like that he was still preoccupied by Ji an and you pointed out something very interesting: the normal reaction of someone in love with his partner receiving a confession from someone he doesnt like would be to avoid that person and put a distance between them, but DH do the exact opposite...why? :)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, lyserose said:

I finally watched the subbed version. When he was asking her about the slippers, it triggered me on what actually DH trying to convey to JA when he asked :

1) Do you think I am not good enough to receive slippers from you? - on a standpoint of a viewer like me, that slippers representing JA's feelings. I am quite agitated he is sending mixed signal to JA just because he himself is confused and conflicted. So, when he asked her to buy him a pair of new slippers - it's like telling her that I am accepting that you like me but I can't acknowledged it openly. 

2) When DH said "Let's do that. I beg you to do that." - This may sound like a simple line but the meaning is deep. He still want her in his life. She was clear that she wanted to disappear from his life but he insisted for her to stay, even when he could not reciprocate her feelings, he still want her to be in his life. When he just had that confrontation with JY, he was looking out for JA which is clear to say that she is the source of his strength and someone he needs in his life.

Someone mentioned that DH always waiting for JA at the crossroads. Divorce seems impending since his friend at the bar hinting that the divorce is either to happen now or 10 years later. And DH's monk friend said it's time for DH to live his life following his heart and DH said he is trying to hold down his heart that wants to fly away. I hope DH will eventually follow his heart.

All you said is right

And i will add that not only he begs her to stay even tho she confessed to him and that his marriage is in dead crisis but he never rejected her feelings, he never said: dont like me, i am married, i love my wife or i am too old for you..like you saod he doesnt know what to do yet and thats why he send her mixed signals

• Like 6

THERE WAS SOMETHIN MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE.......

By the ex-detective that works for JY,  he said that   JA and GI have known each other since they were little ???

w-haaat ? 

How can have they been acquainted ?? 

:crazy:

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, berny said:

THERE WAS SOMETHIN MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE.......

By the ex-detective that works for JY,  he said that   JA and GI have known each other since they were little ???

w-haaat ? 

How can have they been acquainted ?? 

:crazy:

they grown up in same neighbourhood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1