[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Thank you @chickfactor for the translation.

So DH was still waiting for Jian at the bar. This time around he was more restless and looking by the door not listening to his brothers. He did his usual cigarette excuse and wait for her outside. (so please tell me WTH is wrong with this picture? another food for the shipper)

The slipper scene: he wants her to get over it. he won't fire her. he is not the type to let go of people and will continue to greet her warmly even after 20 years from now. he ask her to go buy some slippers:huh: .. wait, did he just accept her feelings?

I agree with @ninaanin DH is a little schizophrenic in this episode but I can excuse it for now coz of what's going on with his wife. But seriously dude, let Jian go if you have no plans of returning her feelings. It just doesn't make sense that you are holding on to her just because of pleasantries. Jian obviously does not want to stick around either because she fell in love. 

PDnim stop being psychotic either and keep on feeding viewers with this longing DH restlessly waiting for Jian in two intersection shots which give us the inkling that no matter which direction, he will always choose to wait for Jian. Don't pursue this angle, if you are not going to be brave enough to have DH and Jian as endgame. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Hee hee, people can really see things very differently. :lol:

I found that scene unbearable romantic.

"And buy me a new pair of slippers." Who knew those words could make anyone swoon? But I was swooning and squeeing. (And so was Ji-An.)

That's how I saw it, anyway.

I'm going to blame this on Lee Sun Kyun. He needs to tone down his "Mark Darcyness".

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

Anneyo chingus! I couldn’t wait for subs so I just couldn’t help myself watching the raw.

i just had to see how DH was after the confession. He looked upset and braiding in his room and I think even YH asked him what’s wrong. Also he was the first one to steal a glance at her when they’re back in the office. Post-confession DH seems spacey and distracted. Yes don’t mind me while I go delulu on the possibility that indeed he likes her back. He sees the mail has arrive and instinctively opens the drawer to see his slippers. Okay yeah PDNim, you still saying this not a romance drama after showing how upset he is seeing the slippers gone?!

okay woah cray cray over the top superiors, I know we’re all curious about what kind of ‘relaitonship’ these two have, but no need to interrogate uri DH!! But wow those flashbacks, are they by any chance helping him realize that his feelings for her run deeper than he was initially aware of? Anyone catch DH’s expression when they tell him that he looks that he likes her (I could be totally wrong and being delulu with self-translation haha)

Cut to bar scene with triobros. Is DH keeping his head angled toward the entrance cause he’s on the look out for JA??!! Answer confirmed as we now go to scene where he’s uncharacteristically smoking a cig and waiting for her outside. Ohhh was he about to call her and we would have our shows first phone call between them? Now Post-confession DH is missing work which he never does?!

aww uri JA :( made me sad watching her listen to audio of rejected confession. But JY is so creepy even though I don’t even know what he’s saying I’m just scared he’s caught on to possibility JA has sincere feelings for DH and I don’t want his slimy self ruining it. And then wow once he’s back, he actually approaches her about the slippers!! And raises his voice which is sooo unlike DH.

JA listening in in DH sometimes makes me feel like she’s also us the viewers cause her reaction was exactly mine when DH punched the door. When he said why why it reminded me of his confrontation with GI where he said similiar thing.

Delulu Analysis: He is not uncomfortable by confession on the contrary now he longs and misses her.

• Like 13
  • LOL 1

I wonder whatever happen to direct simple words? DH should learn that way of explaining things. "Jian I only see you as a friend, as a dongsaeng, as a daughter (double puke!), so let's just stay in each other's lives". DH spewing so many nonsensical words and rationalization of why she needs to stay until her contract ends. He even thinks 20 years later far ahead and funerals as if Jian will ever stay in that neighborhood forever with him. Come on man!:lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 11

Random thoughts about Ep.11 (that are not about that scene):

- We knew this was coming, DH and YH having it out. But dang, how intense was this? They really did a great job of building the tension, with both of them knowing that the other knew. They kept going through the motions of a married couple, but once YH said, "Yeobo..." that spell was broken. DH couldn't pretend anymore, and visibly recoiled and ran away to the living room.

When that "Minette" parking card fell out of the glove compartment, game over. As soon as I saw that, I said, "Girl, you need to get down on your knees." And then, she did.

And then, pure devastation.

DH asking repeatedly, "How could you do that? How?" and "The moment you had an affair with that guy, you passed a death sentence on me." OMG, how many times can one show hit me with such raw emotion? I genuinely felt really terrible for both of them.

- I had to LOL when Team Wang sat in JY's office after DH punched him in the face. I loved how Exec. Wang said NOTHING while JY blabbed his whole business, believing (falsely) that Wang had him tailed. He might as well have taped a sign on his forehead, "Yes, I slept with DH's wife."

Even DH was like, “Dude, you just played yourself.”

You have to hand it to Ji-An. She really knows how to plant these bombs.

- Ji-An having to play back the audio of her faux-but-real confession to JY. She essentially sold this to him as a commodity, because she badly needed the money. But it was still obscene to watch JY listening to it.

More importantly, JY picked up the genuine emotion in his voice, wondering why so many women like DH. (Well, probably the same reason that you are so obsessed with him.)

- Yu-Ra and Ki-Hoon. OMG, these two. Bonded by vomit.

I loved that scene where she tells the gang at Jung-Hee’s, telling all the guys, “I’m so envious of you all, because your lives are already over!” Wow, this girl, she really has NO filter.

I cannot wait until she meets Ji-An.

- Jung-Hee and the Monk. OMG, these two. Just break my heart some more. Goodness.

• Like 16
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arctichare said:

I'm going to blame this on Lee Sun Kyun. He needs to tone down his "Mark Darcyness".

Hello @arctichare :)

I suddenly realized that it’s not Mark Darcy I see in PDH in this scene. He was more like Prof. Henry Higgins of My Fair Lady. Never really saying that he cares for Eliza very much but asking for slippers instead.  

• Like 7
  • LOL 7

2 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

Thank you @chickfactor for the translation.

So DH was still waiting for Jian at the bar. This time around he was more restless and looking by the door not listening to his brothers. He did his usual cigarette excuse and wait for her outside. (so please tell me WTH is wrong with this picture? another food for the shipper)

The slipper scene: he wants her to get over it. he won't fire her. he is not the type to let go of people and will continue to greet her warmly even after 20 years from now. he ask her to go buy some slippers:huh: .. wait, did he just accept her feelings?

I agree with @ninaanin DH is a little schizophrenic in this episode but I can excuse it for now coz of what's going on with his wife. But seriously dude, let Jian go if you have no plans of returning her feelings. It just doesn't make sense that you are holding on to her just because of pleasantries. Jian obviously does not want to stick around either because she fell in love. 

PDnim stop being psychotic either and keep on feeding viewers with this longing DH restlessly waiting for Jian in two intersection shots which give us the inkling that no matter which direction, he will always choose to wait for Jian. Don't pursue this angle, if you are not going to be brave enough to have DH and Jian as endgame. 

All the unconcius glance at office told us more , he need his 'pillar' and Jian is the reason he can withstand all at once blow who he in it now.

The scene after he punch JY and have meeting dir.Wang.

He went to his corner just to check'does his pillar is back'(slipper) his breath become heavy because 'it' was not there yet.

So romantic unromantic drama i ever watch:bawling:

• Like 12
  • LOL 2

PDH's conversation is not that meaning,

It just means family/relative/we/our.

"Hyung" "Oppa" "Nuna" "Donseng"

These words were originally used by family members.

In Korea, they call each other's names at first,

but when they get close to each other,

they call each other hyung/oppa/nuna/donseng.

My friend's mother also becomes we/our mother, and

my friend's grandmother also becomes we/our grandmother, too.

---

Pointed out that Jian used her feet when PDH woke him up,
Pointed out that Jian callled PDH not "Manager" but "Ajussi",
These were manners education.
Admonition to a child by a father, or by an adult to a child.
(taking the gift back at will is not an act of decency, too.)

ps)
"Manager" vs "Ajussi"
They are superiors and subordinates at work.
At this time, the title "Ajussi" is not a decent act.

• Like 9

Ratings from Episode 1-11:

Date Episode Nielsen Korea (%) TNmS (%)
Nationwide Seoul
2018-03-21 01 3.923 4.467 4.6
2018-03-22 02 4.133 4.786 4.1
2018-03-28 03 3.373 4.102 3.9
2018-03-29 04 3.611 3.851 4.3
2018-04-04 05 3.936 4.838 3.7
2018-04-05 06 4.038 4.468 4.6
2018-04-11 07 4.487 5.234 4.7
2018-04-12 08 5.313 5.671 4.6
2018-04-18 09 4.803 5.413 3.8
2018-04-19 10 5.824 6.472 5.6
2018-04-25 11 4.965 5.926 4.6
  • Like 9

Let's smile when we see:anguished: each other 10 years 20 years after this, i begging you, let's do that.

And buy me another slippers:cry:

What were happening between them actually.

He surprased his emotion so much to  lecture her about basic decentcy as human being.-_-

Jian stunned in despair...

Another path of unspoken feeling to bloom has been closed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, noor1 said:
6 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Translation of Scene from Ep. 11:

I will make sure to see you fulfill your contracted work period, and I will make sure to hear that you are doing well at work, somewhere else, too.

And even if 10 or 20 years pass, if I run into you in the street, I will be happy to see you and greet you. I will not avoid you because you are bothersome and uncomfortable, I will greet you warmly.

Let's do that.

I request it, please. Let's do that.

And buy me a new pair of slippers.

And there my friends, is the ending (even if it takes them 4 more episodes to get there). 

Unless someone reminds DH about the wise janitor's words 'heart knows no reason' and Jung-hee's experience 'all the love to give, no one to give it to' - dialogues above of DH to Ji-An feel like the ending. They are going to disappear in the mist of time (and maybe it's better that way, who knows). The End. 

MM.9.10.2.png

• Like 4
  • LOL 13
  • Thanks 1

You guys. I’ve only been able to reach the part of Dong Hoon and his monk friend having that conversation and my heart is already aching.  When I’m done watching this series I may need to detach and meditate a bit like that monk as this drama is emotionally draining to watch! I can only imagine how exhausted Lee Sun Kyun and Lee Ji Eun must be after evey shoot. 

But anyway, after seeing Dong Hoon lose it in his encounters with Yoon Hee and Joon Young, I can barely imagine how intense Dong Hoon and Ji An’s conversation will be when he finds out that she’s been invading his privacy all this time and acting as Joon Young’s spy. This, in spite of what they have (whatever that may be, because I honestly don’t know what they have going on between them).  It will hurt him big-time to find out that another person whom he trusted has betrayed him and to Joon Young again.  If Ji An doesn’t want to lose her ahjusshi after all of this, she’d better be able to convince him that her feelings for him are genuine, in spite of everything she was forced to do. :(

• Like 9
  • Sad 3

OMG I bawled my eyes out this episode, it was done so so well, the tension building up between Dong Hoon and his wife, the dropped hotel card, then Yeon Hee dropping to her knees out of guilt...and through fuzzy flashbacks, the real impact of what Yeon Hee has done to him. The fallout from cheating. I've never heard it better.

"As soon as you cheated on me with that b***, you pronounced me dead! It's okay for Park Dong Hoon to be treated that way so you did it. That was you saying that I'm worthless, that I might as well die."

<deep breaths>

<deep breaths>

HOW does this show do this? How does it unveil layers and layers of meaning to us, one episode at a time? I love this show because of the story, the acting, the directing, the cinematography. But this show really hits me in the gut because of the deep, unvarnished truths it says about life--and how we should all go on. The scene between Dong Hoon and his monk friend, I had to keep pausing to digest what it was saying, and each line hit me hard:

DH: "I don't know how to live anymore"

Monk: "You broke down earlier than I expected...I thought it would happen when you were 60. You were the biggest reason I came here. The best I can hope to do is turn out like Park Dong Hoon. He's so dilligent...but in the end, he'll end up feeling really cheated."

DH: "I just thought life would go on if I sacrificed myself"

Monk: "Who are you to sacrifice yourself?"

DH: "I suppose you want to call it a sacrifice because you worked your richard simmons off. But you're not happy because you've accomplished nothing."

<later>

"I like how you rationalise your crappy life"

"But everyone lives that way"

"Then tell Ji Seok to live that way...doesn't that make you really mad? Why are you pressuring yourself to live a life you wouldn't like for Ji Seok? You have to be happy first. Don't use the word 'sacrifice' again."

And yet! And yet! When he drops Dong Hoon at Jung Hee's, and sits outside in his truck for a long, long time, his eye's lingering on Jung Hee's pub--we know, he too has made his sacrifices.

Life is hell. Life is not without sacrifice. Then how, then how do we go on? By living life for ourselves, not others. Acknowledging that life is hell. life is not without sacrifice. But we can still do good, a little at a time.

(side note: I'm just back from Seoul, and heard a lot from friends in the scene about the Ahjussi controversy. More on that later...I'm just going to immerse myself in all those feels from the last episode for now)

• Like 20
  • Sad 1

Despite his limited scenes, Dong Hoon’s monk friend seems to serve a very pivotal role in the story.  He seems to represent “the road not taken” to Dong Hoon.  I would surmise that he and Dong Hoon were the brightest stars in their neighborhood when they were young, the ones expected by everyone to make it big.  But unlike Dong Hoon who chose the “safe route” of doing his duty but subverting his own desires and sacrificing his own dreams, the monk took the risk of following his heart.  

I have a feeling they spoke about this at length and he probably warned Dong Hoon that if he were to sacrifice his dreams for the sake of his family, there will come a time when he will resent the life he lives.  And he was right.  Dong Hoon feels empty now because he just kept on giving but he never replenished himself because he wasn’t doing what he loved.  

• Like 16

10 hours ago, MinAeRin said:

I think so too..he will never aknowledge his feelings for her, not even to himself. I didnt get the all thing but when he told her that he wont fire her and wanted to see her even years after without pretending to not be happy about it, what does that mean? Is he lying to himself? Is he really rejecting her? Cause at the beginning of their conversation i think he told her that confessing she like him was childish....Maybe he is going crazy and dont know whats going on either.......aaaaarh i’ve waited so long for this episode but now i dont know what to think anymore....and then That smile in the preview.....PDH, why are you doing this to me???

engineer DH is very confused right now.  He truly miss  Ji-an (but he knows he is 24 years older than her hence his immense scruple is trying to deflect how he feels... and he is trying various way to rationalize what she is to him.... a friend, some one he understand and trust, whom for some reason he gets restless when she is not there, he's comfortable when she is there...happiness when they can share a drink or a meal, even when they don't talk.  But she is a kid, how can he feel any more than friendship....(he probably looks down on old men dating young women)... so he suppress and rationalize it.

Then he is confused about what to do with the wife!  He is very disappointed and has thought a great deal about ending their relationship, but responsibility to his son, to the norm of society is strong....  He does not know what to do.  His monk friend told him to think of himself... he never think of himself before but always bear things for others!  So now what can he do??

The writer truly shows the torment and confusion that righteous man goes through. 

This reader was hoping that Ajusshi would continue on the righteous path and carries on with his (gulp) wife for the family sake... but after this episode, it is highly unlikely that at the end they will stay together.

• Like 13